We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Are armaments obsolete?

Bullroarer has Minas Ithil tier armament recipes for the traditional (Man, Woman, Dwarf) heralds, but not the Elves.

Armaments are no longer bartered by the captain trainer. Receipts of Armament Exchange are purchased for silver.

The skill that is used to call a herald determines the cosmetic regardless of which, if any, armament is equipped.

Does equipping the armament before calling a herald have any effect at all? Does the armament have to match the herald? How can you detect the difference?
    Michaleo / Nodread / Wrytune / Truroar / Varmentor Toolmaker
    Landroval www.shadowbanekinship.com michaleo.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michaleo View Post
    Bullroarer has Minas Ithil tier armament recipes for the traditional (Man, Woman, Dwarf) heralds, but not the Elves.

Armaments are no longer bartered by the captain trainer. Receipts of Armament Exchange are purchased for silver.

The skill that is used to call a herald determines the cosmetic regardless of which, if any, armament is equipped.

Does equipping the armament before calling a herald have any effect at all? Does the armament have to match the herald? How can you detect the difference?
    The elf heralds are just cosmetic, as far as I am aware. Most captains don't use the herald armaments as the standard is a much better choice for this slot.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

in the old days, captains used to switch their arm in as equip, summon it and then switch back to the banner to keep its stats active on the pet

I'm not sure if the new stats are of any relevance or not. Maybe it works again, but I'll have to test that.
    Last edited by Zaheer; Oct 29 2019 at 03:59 AM.
    WhiteGoliath

Please leave me in my eternal slumber

Uh oh...from Preview 3 of what is currently on Bullroarer.

"Finely-woven Standard of the Veteran Captain Physical Mastery adjusted."

My understanding is that they decreased the Mastery significantly. So, maybe Armaments will make a comeback courtesy of a nerf on the Standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Casmond View Post
    Uh oh...from Preview 3 of what is currently on Bullroarer.

"Finely-woven Standard of the Veteran Captain Physical Mastery adjusted."

My understanding is that they decreased the Mastery significantly. So, maybe Armaments will make a comeback courtesy of a nerf on the Standards.
    No, they have just nerfed that one standard, which is a shame. Others are untouched as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    No, they have just nerfed that one standard, which is a shame. Others are untouched as far as I know.
    Ah, excellent. In truth, that one had more mastery than it should have. I think it's about 20k higher than what you can crit at level 120.

Quote Originally Posted by Casmond View Post
    Ah, excellent. In truth, that one had more mastery than it should have. I think it's about 20k higher than what you can crit at level 120.
    Yeah, but it is really hard to get, even now, as the item you need to barter for it in Minas Tirith only drops from bosses 3, 4 and 5 of Throne T2C and you only get it if you are lucky enough to win the loot roll. Also, hardly anyone ever manages boss 4 T2C so that makes it even rarer. Much harder to get hold of than crafted versions, even at 120. Personally, I think that justified the hefty stats on the standard, especially as the morale boost was still low, making it a great "glass cannon" item for a red line captain in solo mode.

To answer my own question, I did several experiments with and without armaments. As far as I know, there is no way to detect the stats a herald has, with or without the buffs indicated on the armament, so I just turned on the combat log and looked at what happened.

Using an Ironfold armament item level 374 reduced the damage the herald received from various attacks by 1.7%. It also increased the damage done by the herald by a similar amount. (There is no a priori reason why those two amounts should be roughly the same, but they seem to be.)

It did not matter whether the armament was always equipped or just equipped when the herald was called. It did not matter whether the armament matched the herald or not.

The Oath-bound herald had (by coincidence or developer intent) a similar advantage over the Man-at-arms herald. Oath-bound without an armament was almost exactly the same as Man-at-arms with an armament. Using an armament with an Oath-bound reduced the damage an additional 1.7% (3.4% total).

Damage received is easier to evaluate because of the consistency of repeated attack damage amounts. Damage given varies (for example, over 25% in 32 of the same hit on the same mob), so much longer tests would be required to get an accurate comparison. With that caveat, averaging the few dozen hits in each case, I saw a small (1.5%-1.8%) but consistent advantage to using an armament. The Oath-bound herald did no more damage than the Man-at-arms.

So armaments are not obsolete. Equipping the armament before calling the herald, then switching to the standard, should give the best results.
    Michaleo / Nodread / Wrytune / Truroar / Varmentor Toolmaker
    Landroval www.shadowbanekinship.com michaleo.wordpress.com

To answer my own question, I did several experiments with and without armaments. As far as I know, there is no way to detect the stats a herald has, with or without the buffs indicated on the armament, so I just turned on the combat log and looked at what happened.

Using an Ironfold armament item level 374 reduced the damage the herald received from various attacks by 1.7%. It also increased the damage done by the herald by a similar amount. (There is no a priori reason why those two amounts should be roughly the same, but they seem to be.)

It did not matter whether the armament was always equipped or just equipped when the herald was called. It did not matter whether the armament matched the herald or not.

The Oath-bound herald had (by coincidence or developer intent) a similar advantage over the Man-at-arms herald. Oath-bound without an armament was almost exactly the same as Man-at-arms with an armament. Using an armament with an Oath-bound reduced the damage an additional 1.7% (3.4% total).

Damage received is easier to evaluate because of the consistency of repeated attack damage amounts. Damage given varies (for example, over 25% in 32 of the same hit on the same mob), so much longer tests would be required to get an accurate comparison. With that caveat, averaging the few dozen hits in each case, I saw a small (1.5%-1.8%) but consistent advantage to using an armament. The Oath-bound herald did no more damage than the Man-at-arms.

So armaments are not obsolete. Equipping the armament before calling the herald, then switching to the standard, should give the best results.
    yes, like I said earlier

also in a previously made post I made this clear too.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ces-made-clear
    WhiteGoliath

Please leave me in my eternal slumber