We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Exclamation Is anyone else very disappointed by the pricing of the expansion and the philosophy behind it?

The last expansion pack Mordor made sure to include the best level boost in the game at the time even with the base $40 edition. The logic here is clear. It's the same reason they would do something like update the game, or advertise the game in the old days. You want more customers enjoying the game, not just for their money as an individual but so they are one of the many ants that make up the colony in an MMO, once it becomes obvious that you do not have enough ants more and more people are likely to quit or feel bored, the world will feel empty instead of 'alive'.

The decision to make the $40 base edition of Minas Morgul heavily lacking in perks is a huge 180 on the normal positive and sane mindset of running an MMO. When I read that the level boost will now cost nearly 70 USD in points, and 0 will be included with the base edition I realize that SSG has lost their inspiration to make sure that the server populations stay stable. This is a pivot, they want more from the whales and they seem less concerned with the population of servers that are pretty empty and depressing at times, for example Landroval.

This is one of the few times where copying other MMOs and trends is not a bad thing at all. The point of a free level boost to reward someone for returning to your game is so that even if they hate their own class, they can quickly try another class that they might view as better balanced or less ignored, more fun etc. You want all of those $40 budget people in your game, I promise you.

Maybe you just don't log in enough to realize you're not going to save the population or have a large cheerful community if you average out the number of players who think highly of paying $80 to $130 for another expansion with a raid that isn't even built yet. Something as simple and good for the game as convenient crafting being price walled so once again, people willing to give you $40 before tax don't get any. It's a big slap in the face, and it's a poor business model long term. This sort of thing is why the rumors of "the final year" are never going to stop being whispered. This is a business decision with poor ethics and logic, just like keys are and were.

Finally: Do not tell me that a re-skin of dwarves is worth the same as a ~$70 level boost. I'm dumb, but few people are that dumb.

After playing BDO for some years, I never would've thought I'd say this again... but LOTRO is back to being the most expensive MMO, like it was for many years. The thing is LOTRO players are a special bunch. They live in a small bubble completely oblivious to the plethora of other similar games out there. So they have absolutely no idea that these prices are outrageous.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

I hate Aria of Valars and I would never boost a character. I ciritizied the way SSG handled the Mordor expansion pack and included the High elve in the base edition instead of the Valar. So this way is much better I think. So no, I am not dissapointed. I think this is an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by NeebPlayer View Post
    After playing BDO for some years, I never would've thought I'd say this again... but LOTRO is back to being the most expensive MMO, like it was for many years. The thing is LOTRO players are a special bunch. They live in a small bubble completely oblivious to the plethora of other similar games out there. So they have absolutely no idea that these prices are outrageous.
    I also noticed this, the fact that all expansions are not included when buying the latest one is insane. I would have been fine with paying for each expansion, and going VIP if the game wasn't so heavily monetized in every single aspect of the game. Want to level faster, buy this boost. Want to increase your stats, buy these tomes. Want to max out your weapon, buy these upgrades. Want to look cool? Buy these cosmetics!. Want to be raid-ready within a few minutes? Buy keys and open these awesome lootboxes!

Like, is there any part of this game that isn't monetized in one way or another?
    To me Lotro isn't just the most expensive MMO, but the most p2w MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurinuor View Post
    I hate Aria of Valars and I would never boost a character. I ciritizied the way SSG handled the Mordor expansion pack and included the High elve in the base edition instead of the Valar. So this way is much better I think. So no, I am not dissapointed. I think this is an improvement.
    As someone mentioned above, you among other Lotro players live in a bubble and doesnt understand the insane pricing and monetization of Lotro compared to other MMOs.

Oturageous...

The number of players that I see running around with Minas Ithil cosmetics is Outrageous, talk about buying a cat in a sack, with no betas for weeks.
    And the lifesaving 20 scrolls of empowerment that are not enough to cap one legacy?
    I wonder how polished and tested the expansion is going to be with only two weekends of betas.

It's understandable they're not for everyone, but that opinion doesn't have much to do with this thread or the cost of the expansion pack. So they didn't give you something worth nearly 70 dollars in the store and you're fine with this. But shouldn't you be upset that they didn't give you anything equally interesting or valuable? We might be waiting half a year for the raid, and let's be honest that "trailer" on youtube wouldn't even sell me on buying a quest pack if this wasn't a game I'm very invested in long term. It shows almost nothing at all to criticize or compliment.

The idea of crafting becoming more convenient and modern...only to people to pay a minimum of $80 before tax is insane. That's on the list of things you clearly should have included in the base edition of the expansion pack. Keep in mind $40 is more than DLCs and expansions cost in most MMOs now (ESO is a great example). For another ten dollars you would get a massive expansion pack in a retail box with at least one character boost in WoW. Really improvements to crafting should just be a game-wide free update, this is one of those things like LIs where you cannot just promise to be 'working on it this year' for seven years in a row and then be shocked when people quit the game.

We're basically paying $40 to be allowed to continue the story line quests, and just hoping the instances are good to make up for this deal being worse than Mordor.

Base versions shouldn't have any perks, those should be for collector's editions.

Yet another thread that totally misses the point. People complained after Mordor that all the packages had the aria but only the top ones had the new race. Since many people wanted the race but not the aria.

So they listened, and reversed themselves this time. All packages have the race and only two have the boost.

I too feel their system of selling all the old expansions for significant amounts is ...odd …. but that isn't the topic of this tread.

Quote Originally Posted by gregoro View Post
    The number of players that I see running around with Minas Ithil cosmetics is Outrageous, talk about buying a cat in a sack, with no betas for weeks.
    And the lifesaving 20 scrolls of empowerment that are not enough to cap one legacy?
    I wonder how polished and tested the expansion is going to be with only two weekends of betas.
    You don't know how much betas SSG will offer. The release date is set between 30th october and 30th november.

And nobody buys a cat in a sack. The most lotro players play the game for many years and you can expect the usual quality of the game. And mostly it's good. There will be bugs, for sure. But there will be patches as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cakellene View Post
    Base versions shouldn't have any perks, those should be for collector's editions.
    I disagree with that. You certainly should include MORE with the upper tier versions but a cosmetic or something celebrating the flavor of the expansion is something all base versions should include, at the very least in preorders (what's the point of preordering now for any tier, anyway?). And at these prices... I know the strategy SSG is pivoting to now is whale hunting but that doesn't mean it's right or reasonable. The upper tier editions shouldn't cost 2 and 3 times more than the base edition, their pricing should be a bit more expensive to entice you with their goodies not provoke fits of laughter (say $60 and $80). The jumps between tiers are way too large. I am as excited as anyone about the new content but the pricing remains perplexing.
    My picture blog - Landscapes of Arda
    https://landscapesofarda.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by elianidd2 View Post
    I disagree with that. You certainly should include MORE with the upper tier versions but a cosmetic or something celebrating the flavor of the expansion is something all base versions should include, at the very least in preorders (what's the point of preordering now for any tier, anyway?). And at these prices... I know the strategy SSG is pivoting to now is whale hunting but that doesn't mean it's right or reasonable. The upper tier editions shouldn't cost 2 and 3 times more than the base edition, their pricing should be a bit more expensive to entice you with their goodies not provoke fits of laughter (say $60 and $80). The jumps between tiers are way too large. I am as excited as anyone about the new content but the pricing remains perplexing.
    Absolutely. All the way from day one of release I had already pre-purchased the retail box of the LoTRO collector's edition. Same with Moria. Once the game went digital releases only, I remember buying the special? or deluxe? editions of Rohan and Helm's Deep, it's been a while but I vaguely remember them costing $60.

To intentionally skip this price point and having people say we should be grateful we get anything for $40 is a painfully bad business move. You're losing tons of people who could feel very involved and ready to give $60, and instead they're wondering if they even like the game enough to justify the $40. The only people who would debate this would have to be very ignorant of other more successful games business models who likely already spent $130, and now might feel buyer's remorse if the $40 edition comes with...anything.

The price of 130 $ for this addon would be totally ok IF they put like 7500 Lotro-Points in it (so you can buy other expansions for example).

I would never pay for cosmetics in LOTRO since (because of the engine -> old game) they never look good.

You don't know how much betas SSG will offer. The release date is set between 30th october and 30th november.

And nobody buys a cat in a sack. The most lotro players play the game for many years and you can expect the usual quality of the game. And mostly it's good. There will be bugs, for sure. But there will be patches as well.
    I'm not saying that the quality right now is bad, but you don't know what you buy, so at least a beta can give you a perspective of the next content that is yet to be seen, despite that, people are blindly buying the expansion with no indication of how stable it is, the 20 seconds cinematic trailer was not very informative so the only option to see it before you buy is to try the beta.

You can assume that it is going to be a quality product but you have NO information whatsoever.

I heard the word Session Play in the Minas Morgul Lotro stream so I'm not sure that I'm interested, it was said that it is different than the current Session Play as we know it but it will be only tested in the beta,

Also in a heavy instanced expansion it will be a pity to see the instances broken like in the Mordor expansion at launch.

hence the concerns.

I agree that the ultimate edition is overpriced - but it is for people that really love the cosmetics/mounts or that deliberately overpay to support the game. This helps the game and doesn't *hurt* anyone else.

Those who talk about $130 being way too much in a thread focusing on the level-boost may be forgetting that the level-boost comes with the collectors edition for $80. Still higher than $40, of course.

Those who complain that the basic addition comes with no extras have either very poor memories or are deliberately saying a bit less than the truth. The truth is it doesn't have *many* extras.

It has a character slot and a new race.

Quote Originally Posted by gregoro View Post
    I heard the word Session Play in the Minas Morgul Lotro stream so I'm not sure that I'm interested...
    Let me jump in here real quick just to verify this: it's not sessionplay. Conceptually you're playing a different character (on account of this was three thousand years ago), but really you're playing your same character down to abilities and class and appearance. You'll get to see the very beginning of it on Bullroarer, so you'll understand what's up, but I wanted to clear that up real quick.

MoL

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post
    Let me jump in here real quick just to verify this: it's not sessionplay. Conceptually you're playing a different character (on account of this was three thousand years ago), but really you're playing your same character down to abilities and class and appearance. You'll get to see the very beginning of it on Bullroarer, so you'll understand what's up, but I wanted to clear that up real quick.

MoL
    Thank you for the clarification, I'm looking forward to test the beta on BR.

There is a perceived lesser value in the base expansion because it doesn't have the valar upgrade and these are expensive to buy in the store. However, I never used my mordor valar upgrade. I already had high level characters and didn't really want to upgrade another class that I wouldn't know how to play or have time to play.

It would be the same now. I'd just have another valar upgrade taking up space in my vault for "one day".

I think enough people felt the same way and wanted this change that they did it.

I would have preferred having the high elf so I am happy to get the stout axe. Though truth be told I don't have time to play these either lol, but I see having them unlocked as more valuable to me than a valar I know I'd never use.

Quote Originally Posted by Cakellene View Post

ALL versions should have enough content/perks that the purchase price seems worth the money. Clearly, for many prospective customers that is not the consensus, AGAIN.

MoL
    So the character who was alive back then (in the second age) used "Third age" weapons? :P
    Argohald Champion(main), Phokalin Guardian, Aljeza Lore master : The Aegean eagles kinship in Evernight
    Aleziana Lore master, Ellinas Guardian Landroval
    Member of old Riddermark family (server)

Quote Originally Posted by Aleziana View Post
    So the character who was alive back then (in the second age) used "Third age" weapons? :P
    The Third Age *is* only months away at that point.

MoL

MoL
    So you're saying that they preordered Third Age LIs near the end of the Second Age?
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post

MoL
    So you're saying that they preordered Third Age LIs near the end of the Second Age?
    That was acctually very clever and darn funny. Well played sir or lady !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aleziana View Post
    You get to see the era when they started making weapons from plastic, which became known as 3rd-agers a few months later.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

MoL
    I was expected a more creative (in game) answer. Instead you people chose to burn your minds to creat this pointless aura system :P *clap* clap*
    Argohald Champion(main), Phokalin Guardian, Aljeza Lore master : The Aegean eagles kinship in Evernight
    Aleziana Lore master, Ellinas Guardian Landroval
    Member of old Riddermark family (server)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast