We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: World Transfers

Cool World Transfers

Hi Guys

Whats the status of the world transfers ? I am wanting to transfer my shared storage, well wardrobe mostly to the main server where I play Arkenstone. I want to transfer from Landroval. When I click Transfer ther eis just the test servers at the moment. Realised I had a heap of cosmetics on an old chartacter and I was about to purchase them all again but dont want to if I can avoid it. Also I have some that are no longer available too.

Do we know when this will be possible.

Cheers
    Hop

World transfers are still unavailable. The copy function, for the test worlds, though, is live now. Since those are one-way shallow copies, if they fail; that's not a big deal. You can make and level up a character for testing. Hopefully, though, they've streamlined it somewhat. It took me hours to do it, not counting LIs, in the past. It could take days, over serveral sessions, for that.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

You are not alone. Quite a few of us have been waiting for almost three weeks for some word on when transfers of shared storage will be resumed.

World share storage transfers had a um unintended ability to transfer and stack motes, embers and figments way beyond their 10,000 cap. Apparently, SSG caught wind of this somehow and as a consequence shut down the entire world transfer system.

Until a fix is in place world and shared transfers will remain unavailable according to various statements made by SSG.

My fear is that it might prove too time consuming to adequately fix this and still allow shared storage transfers. It has been several weeks now and that can't be a good sign but who knows, perhaps maybe SSG will surprise us with the needed fix without permanently shutting down this service?

<crosses fingers>

Jorlan

I wouldn't expect them to even look at it until after the expansion is done, and post expansion clean up is done as well (i.e. fixing serious bugs that don't get fixed before it goes live).

And they have instructed customer service not to allow petitioned for transfers even when there is no possible issue with currency. A real hardship for those that had been relying on the service.

Can't be that hard to program a routine that transfers the exact ammount of currencies without stacking it.

Quote Originally Posted by WorrBinpike View Post
    Can't be that hard to program a routine that transfers the exact ammount of currencies without stacking it.
    The issue is a bit stickier.
    SSG wants people to be able to stash at most 10k embers.
    Assume the change you describe is made and transfers no longer allow overcap.
    I play on server A.
    I earn 10k, transfer to server B.
    I earn another 10k, transfer to server C.
    I earn another 10k, transfer to server D.
    Nothing overcapped.

Expansion launches.
    I spend 10k on A, transfer 10k from B.
    I spend those, transfer 10k from C.
    I spend those, transfer 10k from D.

I was able to hoard and spend 4x the proscribed limit, without any overcap. SSG does not want this happening.

Simplest solution: henceforth, exclude capped currencies like embers from shared transfers.

But, you say, what about people who do have characters on multiple servers and want to use their ember-earning capacity on one server to help their alts on another? No problem! Make all stuff bartered for capped currencies, account bound. Those coffers bartered for embers are that way already. Buy coffers, stick them in shared storage, transfer. Make coffers for raid gear too, but add raid completion deed as requirement for opening a coffer.

My concern isn't letting people get more embers.

I will happily accept the ability to transfer shared storage with *no* embers being permitted to move.

My concern is the people that are trying to run characters on server X while all of their crystals of remembrance, scrolls of delving, star-lits, scrolls of empowerment, marks, gold, housing decorations and mounts are all on a different server.

Through no exploit or attempted exploit - just because they stored things in a server they no longer play on - in reliance on SSG's system allowing transfers to be made at any time.

Even a single use transfer that does not transfer embers or figments or motes will solve that problem. Even if it has to be done by /petition not clicking a button - to give SSG total control so that no abuses can take place.

I believe shared storage and wardrobe does not get transferred. You will have to return those items to the character you wish to move or so it used to be. Didn't you keep your cosmetics that you made the wardrobe from?
    'Ú-damdir.'
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."

There were two transfer options. One was to transfer a character to another server. Very expensive in LP.

The second was to transfer everything in your shared storage and also all currencies such as embers and marks. This one was free.

Milarien is offline The Sociable
    The Healer
    House of Finwë
    Audience Member
    I am wondering the status of this as well. I am seeing some posts from people who want to come back and play again, but they haven't played since the server consolidations (IKR!) and can't find their toons.
    Milarien Cardhra of Lorien (Minstrel), Mileirien (Warden), Milirien (Minstrel), Milafarien (Hunter), Ariestir (Rune-keeper) etc
    (Minstrel: The Tootsie Roll Pop of Middle Earth!) + other accounts
    Ring Guard of Rivendell (Gladden, formerly of Elendilmir), founded in beta
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/184766484880526/

Plus people are coming back for the expansion and wanting to play on different servers for various good reasons - such as their kin has disappeared and they see a good one on another server, or their server has become too empty - or too crowded for their taste.

Maybe they used the Valar from the two expensive packages on the server they want and all their gold and marks and other valuables are on a different server.

There may or may not be a good reason why both character transfers and item transfers have been disabled for over a month.

There can't *possibly* be a good reason for the obdurate refusal to say whether they intend to ever bring them back. Even a "we really want to but there are serious issues and we aren't certain we can" - which I hope is *not* true - would be better than total silence.

There can't possibly be a good reason for the obdurate refusal to say anything at all about timing. Even a "we don't know but hope it will be back in a matter of [days] [weeks] [months] [years] [Ages]" would be better than total silence.

PLEASE say *something* Cordovan or other blue name <begs, grovels and wheedles>

From the stuff Cordovan was saying in one of his streams, the main reason they were brought down was because of the changes to the way character data was being stored (the reason for the day long downtimes for certain servers).

Now that it is sorted, and people's embers have been brought down to the cap, I would guess we would see transfers up and running soon hopefully, but who knows.

Lets bloody well hope we see transfers up and running soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Elquasso View Post
    Lets bloody well hope we see transfers up and running soon.
    Oh yes, just coming back from a break several weeks long because my entire shared storage was stuck on a server I don't mainly play on. 300+ items relevant for my "lotro everyday life" like crafting items, epmowerment scrolls, gear, and so on, not to mention skirmish marks etc. - and it's still not possible to get these things back to my main server? Bummer.
    Dobb - Hobbit Burglar
    Thar - Dwarf Guardian
    [DE-RP]Belegaer
    R.I.P [DE]Anduin
    Visit my YouTube-Channel!

I play on two servers and sometimes on a third one depending on what I feel like doing. My problem is that I craft primarily on my main server (Gladden). I had been accumulating mats for several months on the other two servers I spread some of my time on and was just about to transfer those items to my main when 'world transfers' went dark. Since then I have been forced on my main server to farm additional mats or buy them off AH if I found any at reasonable prices. I have also stopped playing on the other servers until this gets fixed.

Free shared storage transfers across servers provided a way for me to move items from characters the got stranded after the merge. I had taken some time off from the game at that time and when I came back all I could do was move characters from closed servers. I unfortunately had characters spread out on three of the remaining servers that I could not move around since the vouchers to move them (I think up to three toons) had alrdy expired. Bummer!

Welden
    Welden of Elendilmir

I would guess we would see transfers up and running soon hopefully, but who knows. <

A reasonable guess - but if this is true why the eerie silence for so long?

The technical reason for the world transfers being down has to do with the fact they changed database software on each server (from MSSQL to PostGreSQL), which was the reason for the lengthy downtimes of individual servers over the last few weeks. Now that it is done, they should be able to bring back world tranfers..... however, since a world transfer is basically a move of all character related database objects to another database, the process itself likely has to be re-written to work with PostGreSQL.

It shouldn't be an impossible task, nor a lengthy time consuming task.... but as they just released Minas Morgul and probably are facing some bugs that need fixing from the launch, it's likely not given the highest priority. It would be nice though for a Blue Name to give a small update as to how this work is progressing. I'm GUESSING they should be able to turn it back on before the end of November, but I truly have no idea.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Yes - the Simon and Garfunkle tribute - Sounds of Silence - may be more troublesome than the delay itself.

Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    Yes - the Simon and Garfunkle tribute - Sounds of Silence - may be more troublesome than the delay itself.
    This has always been Turbine/SSG's problem, I'm uncertain why it's so difficult for them to just say something and not leave us wondering for days/weeks/months/indefinitely? I don't work in PR so maybe I am way off, but my understanding is that people are much more accepting of problems when their plight is acknowledged. If I know that transfers are going to be up in a week then I can happily go about my day with that in mind, rather than being uncertain if I should begin a new grind on the new server or wait and hope...

Not to mention the loss of revenue in these xfers being hilariously expensive for what they are. I dread to think how much money SSG are losing by waylaying this at a time when there's likely a huge influx of players returning to the game that will quit when they realise they can't play with their friends who are all on another server.

The link below indicates that xfers are back up and was posted/updated on Monday this week... Unsure why when that's clearly false.

https://help.standingstonegames.com/...Transfer-Guide
    #15skills

Quote Originally Posted by Ethrildar View Post
    This has always been Turbine/SSG's problem, I'm uncertain why it's so difficult for them to just say something and not leave us wondering for days/weeks/months/indefinitely? I don't work in PR so maybe I am way off, but my understanding is that people are much more accepting of problems when their plight is acknowledged. If I know that transfers are going to be up in a week then I can happily go about my day with that in mind, rather than being uncertain if I should begin a new grind on the new server or wait and hope...

Not to mention the loss of revenue in these xfers being hilariously expensive for what they are. I dread to think how much money SSG are losing by waylaying this at a time when there's likely a huge influx of players returning to the game that will quit when they realise they can't play with their friends who are all on another server.

The link below indicates that xfers are back up and was posted/updated on Monday this week... Unsure why when that's clearly false.

https://help.standingstonegames.com/...Transfer-Guide
    1. There is a concept in the US that may be foreign to those who are not subject to USA legal jurisdiction: What you don't say *can't* be used against you in a legal dispute. Thus it is better to say nothing at all, until you know you have some ground to stand on when you do say something. USA legal system is of lawyers, by lawyers and for lawyers. Bottom line is that they won't talk until legal lets them. Even then, what they say gets twisted. Anyway, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

2. Transfers were up. They were, though, just copies to the test worlds.

Since the backend DBA system changed, they now need to see if stuff breaks, internally, when they make the test worlds use the new backend.

Be patient and let them work. Who knows, Cord may have something to say Friday.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Since the backend DBA system changed, they now need to see if stuff breaks, internally, when they make the test worlds use the new backend.<

If they actually ever *said* this I would be a lot more patient. All they have ever said is that there were abuses relating to transfers of currency and so they wouldn't restore transfers until the 10,000 cap went live. If they have ever said on these forums that their back end system was even *remotely* related to the transfer freeze I somehow missed it.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    Since the backend DBA system changed, they now need to see if stuff breaks, internally, when they make the test worlds use the new backend.<

If they actually ever *said* this I would be a lot more patient. All they have ever said is that there were abuses relating to transfers of currency and so they wouldn't restore transfers until the 10,000 cap went live. If they have ever said on these forums that their back end system was even *remotely* related to the transfer freeze I somehow missed it.
    SSG did acctually say that first. Both in streams and I think in here buried in some reply in some thread somewhere. Not in so much details, but it was prior to the whole overcap issue that started after someone posted a screenshot of that issue. Thetransfer was taken down before that acctually. In streams cordovan was clear that that was not the initial issue, even explaining a bit that it had to do with backend server updates. Then added that the overcap isue had then of course not made things better and presented yet another issue that might delay bringing it back on.

Thanks - I tend to ignore the streams figuring that *these* are the official forums and since various blue names visit here frequently anything significant will get posted here. Usually that is correct but on this particular issue it seems clear that they are less communicative than normal.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast