We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 200

Thread: World Transfers

  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Narthalion View Post
    So it's "no comment" on WHEN it might happen.

    Thank you.
    actually, there is more than "yes" and "no", like "null".
    I'd say, in this case, the answer is clearly "null".
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    I think what people want to know is. . . . are you working on it? There is no ETA, could mean that you are working on it, but don't know how long its going to take, or it could mean, we're not working on it, and we don't know when we will.
    From our point of view, does it matter? Either way they can't tell us yet when it will be finished.
    Personally I am pretty sure they are working on it. Or at least that someone at SSG is working on it. It is certainly in their interest as well as ours to get the world transfers working again, and the sooner the better.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We have said this numerous times on the forums here, so "no comment" certainly isn't accurate. However, the fact remains that at this time there is no ETA to announce. As soon as there is an ETA, it will be announced. We are well aware of players' interest in re-enabling character transfers.
    soooo... basically "no comment"


    an actual comment:
    "we are aware of players' interest in re-establishing character transfers and plan to fix the current issues with transfers, however we currently do not have an ETA on when these fixes will be completed"


    a "no comment" comment:
    "we do not have an ETA"


    things that also do not have an ETA:

    -PVMP fixes
    -Warsteed updates
    -flying mounts
    -a big meteor crashing into earth, ending all life as we know it
    etc...
    The Black Appendage of Sauron

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Oelle View Post
    actually, there is more than "yes" and "no", like "null".
    I'd say, in this case, the answer is clearly "null".


    Well...regardless...at least it was a response. I suppose we should be grateful for that.

    (Although, as I typed that now I felt like the poor, starving, little orphan boy in a Dickens story who has just been handed a small, crusty piece of bread by a rarely seen patron and gasps, "Oh, thank you, sir!! Thank you!!")

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We have said this numerous times on the forums here, so "no comment" certainly isn't accurate. However, the fact remains that at this time there is no ETA to announce. As soon as there is an ETA, it will be announced. We are well aware of players' interest in re-enabling character transfers.
    For the techies among us, it might be interesting to let us know the scope of work that needs to happen. I'm currently guessing the whole transfer system needs to be re-written from scratch because of the database software change on the servers, but that is just an educated guess based on my own experiences with MS SQL, MySql, and PostGreSQL..... and I don't know if that is accurate.

    On that note, while the system is being re-designed, can users still put in a ticket to have a transfer done manually, more or less similar to the "olden days" where someone had to spend time and effort to do the work manually?
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    For the techies among us, it might be interesting to let us know the scope of work that needs to happen. I'm currently guessing the whole transfer system needs to be re-written from scratch because of the database software change on the servers, but that is just an educated guess based on my own experiences with MS SQL, MySql, and PostGreSQL..... and I don't know if that is accurate.

    On that note, while the system is being re-designed, can users still put in a ticket to have a transfer done manually, more or less similar to the "olden days" where someone had to spend time and effort to do the work manually?
    the reason they shut down the transfers was because of an exploit that allowed people to overcap currencies that had caps.


    currency caps are a dumb idea in the first place, but its not some major rewrite of transfer code that needs to happen... more like they need to implement a fix to the currency caps so that its not possible to overcap them, or if the currency is overcapped, then it needs to be set to cap.
    The Black Appendage of Sauron

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    On that note, while the system is being re-designed, can users still put in a ticket to have a transfer done manually, more or less similar to the "olden days" where someone had to spend time and effort to do the work manually?
    I am actually very curious about this as well. Cordovan, can you comment on this please?
    Leader and Founder, Legion of Fate - Vilya, currently in Arkenstone
    Illibomb Guardian lvl 126, Illithrone Hunter lvl 130, Illimithran Champ lvl 95, Elexxi Burg lvl 120, Illirazahl Minstrel lvl 95
    .

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Saruman_Of_Numbers View Post
    soooo... basically "no comment"
    things that also do not have an ETA:

    -PVMP fixes
    Agreed. PVMP has been sort of neglected for years....

    -Warsteed updates
    -flying mounts
    Well, this has had some comments in the sense that there are "no plans" to further work on warsteeds, they consider that a done and dusted era. Warsteeds are completely useless after about level 105 with the big "jump" in morale, damage, etc in Mordor.
    Flying mounts also have had a hard "NO" in the past, based on a variety of technical reasons and mostly because of being able to get off the map easily, which isn't always in the best interest of the game and story.

    So, Flying Mounts basically NEVER going to happen, and warsteed fixes..... well, maybe, but as there are absolutely no plans for them, there can't really be an eta, now can there?
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Saruman_Of_Numbers View Post
    the reason they shut down the transfers was because of an exploit that allowed people to overcap currencies that had caps.
    While that may have been a side effect, it is not the reason they shut down the transfers. They shut them down because they were upgrading the server databases from Microsoft SQL to PostGreSQL, one server at a time. A transfer is basically a move of database tables from one database to another, and with the database server being upgraded, the automatic transfer system will also need to be rewritten.

    The issue you are referring to was "fixed" I think in update 25:

    From patch notes: "All Embers and Motes of Enchantment, and all Figments of Splendour, have had their total Wallet cap set to 10,000, if their total exceeded 10,000."

    And those are the currencies that really matter for them in regards to this exploit, I don't think anyone will care if you have overcapped Gulmarks
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post

    So, Flying Mounts basically NEVER going to happen, and warsteed fixes..... well, maybe, but as there are absolutely no plans for them, there can't really be an eta, now can there?
    that's the point.... they don't have an ETA because they'll never happen....
    The Black Appendage of Sauron

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Saruman_Of_Numbers View Post

    things that also do not have an ETA:

    -PVMP fixes
    -Warsteed updates
    -flying mounts
    -a big meteor crashing into earth, ending all life as we know it
    etc...


    My only question is where exactly does the LI "revamp" fit in all this? Because, if the long-promised "revamp" is coming AFTER the "big meteor crashes into earth, ending all life as we know it", well then there is NO WAY that I'm going to keep up this insane LI grind-fest till then! Sorry, SSG...I've got to draw the line someplace!

  12. #112
    What I'd like to know is if it broke spontaneously on it's own or did they take it down because they did not like people transferring currencies to other servers as a way to get around caps and have not found a way to get it back up while stopping things they don't like.

    I know when I first discovered it was down I asked in world and was told they took it down to prevent currency "cheating".

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    35
    There is actually an "announcements" forum. It's a perfect place for a well placed concise comment instead of perpetuating the black hole the closure announcement has become for players that only see communication appearing during game startup.

    The helpful information on this topic appears to have to be gleaned by trolling through a bunch of various threads or videos I'd rather not read or listen too... all the negativity and hearsay that I don't really know to be true without research that robs from play time. I'd rather use time playing and skimming a thread like this than burn time on video feeds or searching for other information sources looking for a few seconds of skimpy information. I've been a player for three years not needing forums. It was this topic that brought me to the forums out of desperation to find out something.

    At $25-30 USD revenue per transfer event, wanting this means that I'm advocating spending more money in a single transaction than I've ever spent for game content (I have 3x the quad pack, rohan, and a number of other LOTRO related items). For my family, if I transfer, which I want to do, it means paying $75-100 USD --- which might be close, if not more than what was spent on actual game content for three players (due to frugal shopping). Beside the fact that the shutdown blocks playing with people I actually know (unless I start from zero which is weird because our friends are high-level; gaming fun can be reduced more by greater level disparity). Realizing that I have to want this to enough to spend that kind of money is likely why its hard to feel positive (or more truthfully, to avoid feeling negative) about a long-time coming tiny little, mostly defensive and not informative comment by a blue name in this thread.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by BRaymarK View Post
    I've been a player for three years not needing forums. It was this topic that brought me to the forums out of desperation to find out something.
    I find myself more negatively influenced toward the game as a result of seeing other complaining threads. IOW, being driven to forums over lack of an in-game announcement has tended to hurt my view of LOTRO more than anything I experienced in-game.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,150
    ((We are well aware of players' interest in re-enabling character transfers. ))

    Does this mean you *aren't* well aware of our at least equal interest in re-enabling item transfers? If so, consider yourself reminded <sad smile>

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    11,887
    Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    From our point of view, does it matter?
    Yes, I think it matters quite a bit.

    Example . . . .

    "Are we there yet?" - "No, not yet." This leads to a further "Are we there yet?"

    "Are we there yet?" - "No, and we're not going to get there anytime in the next 6 months." Leads to "Ok, thanks for answering, I'll ask again in 6 months."
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.


  17. #117
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    14

    Lightbulb The Money making formular

    Guys, its pretty simple and easy explained why they shut of transfers and dont hurry to bring it back.
    They know there are a people that transfer their chars for whatever reason.
    So now that you can do that anymore and beeing stuck on a server ,you might not want to be stuck, due to them just pulling the transfers away of us without a warning they can earn the big money if you!
    The plan is yet so simple but effective, let me explain to you:

    Step 1: Take away transfers so people are stuck on servers that are not their main servers!
    Step 2: Make them have to roll a new toon in order to be able to play again with their friends!
    Step 3: Release a new valar that gets you to 120 (either pay near 7k lotro points or 70€)!
    Step 4: Release a 50€ LI packet that gives you catch up scrolls etc.
    Step 5: Count your money and laugh at your milked community!

    Pretty simple, isnt it?

  18. #118

    Old Server Transfers

    I've read the theories set out above but haven't seen mention of the reason the a lack of transfers is impacting my family.

    We used to play together as a group and then the kids drifted away to University and their own lives. About a month ago, two of them suggested that we pick up where we left off. Great, I thought.

    Oh, hang on...

    We were playing on Snowbourn. Turbine (but not SSG) did commit to keeping non-transferred characters in perpetuity, I recall? So for as long as transfers are disabled, they can't "transfer" to a retained server and neither of them wants to start over.

    I know this is the edgiest of edge cases but there you have it.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,150
    Cookiemonster - oh yes this theory has crossed the minds of others as well and may have a lot of merit to it.

    I don't think they stopped transfers for this reason. I don't think they are ready to enable transfers again but are holding off for this reason. Though I wouldn't rule out the possibility. I do suspect that this theory explains one reason why renabling transfers is a lower priority than it might be.

    Though there are other possible reasons, of course, such as work fixing bugs in the expansion and getting the new raid and six-person dungeons ready.

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookymonster View Post
    Step 5: Count your money and laugh at your milked community!

    Sometimes I do wonder how many of SSG's recent "master plans" end up with this as the end goal.

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    11,887
    Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    Cookiemonster - oh yes this theory has crossed the minds of others as well and may have a lot of merit to it.

    I don't think they stopped transfers for this reason. I don't think they are ready to enable transfers again but are holding off for this reason. Though I wouldn't rule out the possibility. I do suspect that this theory explains one reason why renabling transfers is a lower priority than it might be.

    Though there are other possible reasons, of course, such as work fixing bugs in the expansion and getting the new raid and six-person dungeons ready.
    I don't think they stopped transfers because of the currency overcapping thing, but i do think that has something to do with the delay in bringing them back up. Either that or the whole thing broke while they were changing it, and they can't work out a fix. If its the latter, I do hope they find the solution, especially for returning players that are stuck out on closed worlds.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.


  22. #122
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandie2 View Post
    What I'd like to know is if it broke spontaneously on it's own or did they take it down because they did not like people transferring currencies to other servers as a way to get around caps and have not found a way to get it back up while stopping things they don't like.

    I know when I first discovered it was down I asked in world and was told they took it down to prevent currency "cheating".
    They took down transfers for one simple reason: They were upgrading the database software on all servers from Microsoft SQL Server to PostGre SQL Server. As you may remember, they turned it off... and then proceeded to upgrade each server, one by one, leaving each server down for about 12 hours to get the work done.

    Because they did one server at a time, they had to disable transfers as you would not be able to transfer between servers running different SQL server software. Now that those upgrades are all done, they have to re-write the transfer mechanism almost from scratch, as the SQL queries used to do the transfer differ from Microsoft SQL to PostGre SQL. This is also the reason that when they had Bullroarer running for Minas Morgul beta testing, servers that were already upgraded could not copy their characters to bullroarer, as bullroarer still used the old database software.

    Once this rewrite is done, they will likely test it for a bit, and then launch it back into production.

    The idea that this has something to do with currency caps is utter nonsense, and has already been debunked as such by Cordovan in Friday's stream. But some people believe conspiracies over what would make actual sense..... and that is something no one can change. The whole currency cap thing was patched with Update 25 anyways, now when you are close to the cap and e.g. open a lootbox with currency that would make it go over the cap.... it caps out at the cap, and there is no more "grace" space of capped currency you do not see. That also applies to transfers.

    As for a timeline: Not happening in 2019, they pretty much confirmed on Friday that there will be one last patch next week to fix some things, and then they slow down for the holidays.... picking things back up in early 2020. They are just like any other company after all, and they too have families to celebrate Christmas with, and whatever other holiday fun.

    So, stay tuned, ask again come January, and maybe they will have an update then.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

  23. #123
    After waiting for over a month to get back into the game with my old characters and no news on transfers. I think it is high time I uninstall until the day they get enabled again. Which may be months from now, to free up computer space. I am tired of waiting and I am done for now. I got better games to play due to this issue.
    Last edited by Animegeek; Dec 07 2019 at 09:13 PM.

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,150
    >The idea that this has something to do with currency caps is utter nonsense, and has already been debunked as such<

    This may be so and it may not be so - but the tie-in with the currency cap came from Cordovan in the first place. So the choice is between treating what *he* says as utter nonsense or what *you* say as utter nonsense.

    The fact that he said it once and you have given your theory post after post after post doesn't change things at all.

    The only time he *ever* said anything about the shutdown of transfers, in terms of why it happened and when transfers would be back, it was to link it to the currency cap.

    I am a lot more reluctant than you are to say that the one official voice on the forums on this issue was feeding us utter nonsense and what he said has been debunked. I agree that what you say does make sense but I think Cordovan may have access to more information than you do.

  25. #125
    from my understanding of what I have read is the transfers have been down for 2 months because I am a learning computer repair person I know that no problem in tech support lasts this long on repairs unless someone is not doing there job especially when it is a problem that is this big. so to me it sounds like someone is not doing there job because this seems like a tech problem that should have been fixed by now.

    so I have a question who is not doing their job? this is my question to you istvana
    Last edited by ZepherZane; Dec 09 2019 at 03:14 AM.

 

 
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload