We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hunter red or blue?

Hi all!

I know that there is a hunter subforum, but it looks pretty dead, so I'll ask my question here if it's ok.

I have a level 112 hunter at the Foothold in Udon just in the Black Gate. So far I've been red because I've heard there are issues with blue.

The problem is that I like the playstyle of blue, moving around and such.

Are there gameplay problems with blue like programming bugs and such, or is the dps just too low to justify not using red? Or have I heard wrong, and blue is just fine?

Also, I'm thinking about starting another hunter from scratch. Should I start him off at red or does it matter?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I played my blue hunter all the way through Mordor before Mordor's difficulty was reduced. So blue hunter is still very viable. In fact, as I was doing the dailies in Hultvis yesterday, I was thinking that anyone who says blue hunter is not viable is just whackadoodle, because I blew thru the dailies.

So if you like blue, stay in blue! But be aware that Mordor, even after the difficulty was reduced, still requires attention and respect. Don't pull too many mobs until you see how you do. Try to keep enough Light of Earendil so that your Shadow and Light is at least equal.

Have fun, most importantly!

I have been running my hunter in blue through Mordor without much difficulty. If I need a bit of extra survivability because of really high mob density, I'll switch to yellow.

I am not a hunter expert, but the general idea is that blue builds for any class are survival oriented, providing increased ability to withstand/avoid damage from mobs. Red builds are typically about providing maximum damage output at the expense of survivability. Yellow builds are either utility for groups/raids or alternate damage mode (i.e. red warden forte is melee DPS, yellow is ranged)

In most cases, soloing is best done in blue. Blue hunter can kite mobs during combat, avoiding damage. Red hunter generally relies in being able to kill everything in a given pull before it gets too close. This is often only possible for those who are well-geared.
    For a hunter typically playing in a fellowship, where a tank holds aggro and soaks up damage, red is the most logical option.

I think either color works for leveling. My own preference is blue earlier on because barrage makes a huge difference and red later on for the overall better damage.

Lightbulb

Problem is that only one trait line is ever accepted by others at any real end-game. Namely Red.

So You're making Yourself a disservice to get good in blue, to then reach stat cap and have to relearn to play Your class. As You level up and play content many things become muscle memory by practice and You can get really good at it. Being used to be able to move, not lose focus etc, plus having some other skills, will make it harder to be good in red at LvL cap as Your muscle memory is then programmed to play blue. You might start to move, lose focus, skills will get interupted, inductions interupted etc. It takes time to train up new muscle memory, so it's best to do that as You play content and level up. Then be set and ready at LvL cap.

What makes me sad about that is that I do enjoy playing blue as it's alot more fun to me, but then be forced to play red if want to be invited to any group content at LvL cap. Well of course not like Hultvis dailies and such, You can still go blue for that, but if want to do Glimmer, Caverns Anvil, even Thrang during summer, others want You to be red as it is alot more DPS. Sad but true and there is acctually no real choice. There are 3 lines, but only one being viable at end-game. Except for landscape and easier stuff, where You can go any trait line.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Oct 10 2019 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks so much for the kind replies! Gonna switch to blue tonight!

If you look back in the hunter forum, the tradeoffs have been discussed, and I believe they are still valid.

For questing and low tier instances, either is fine and it comes down to preference. Use red if you want to stand still and occasionally one-shoot mobs. Use blue if you like to move as you shoot and do damage as you kite. In red, you plink QuickShot until something better is available. In blue, you have to manage the annoying (but intended) variable cooldown on Barrage.

Raiders like red because it does big hits on well-controlled mobs and has higher DPS on training dummy scripts. In practice, it is hard to quantify the difference. In a multiple mob fight, how do you account for the wasted inductions when the mob is dead before it fires or the wasted damage when you get a devastating hit on a mob that only needed a non-crit? In a dynamic fight, how do you compare the damage blue did while moving versus the damage red didn't do because you had to move out of a puddle?

Whether or not you care about endgame fashion, whichever you choose, you'll need to get used to it and find a rotation and adaptations that work for you. It turns out that player skill matters.

Either way, I recommend investing legacies and traits in damage over time. Bleeds can give you a delayed one-shot or few-shot capability, and distributing them around is almost an AoE.
    Michaleo / Nodread / Wrytune / Truroar / Varmentor Toolmaker
    Landroval www.shadowbanekinship.com michaleo.wordpress.com

Not a thing wrong with blue! You should have enough trait points to go blue and then get enough in red to keep Rain of Arrows, though, Split Shot isn't nearly as fun.

My husband, who has seven Hunters,* runs them all red. He says he occasionally toys with the idea of blue, because it gives the Hunter more range. (As well as to be able to shoot while running, like Legolas. ) But he hasn't done it yet.

____
    *plus two Wardens and a Champion named Guernseycow. Those of a certain age can tell where he's coming from.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Mindless button mashing a red build or have fun in Blue
    If your intellect can't fathom my reasoning it's me who's unreasonable?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Ballie View Post
    Mindless button mashing a red build or have fun in Blue
    That is exactly how I feel. Unfortionetly there isn't much choice if wanting invites to do end-game stuff. If they see You still use blue You will be told to go red or often get kicked if not comply. Sure maybe some will give You slack if it's just a T1 for weekly, but anything above that and it's go red or not get invited or even get kicked. That is the result of the class balance thing that was done on hunter. This has ruined alot of the fun of playing a hunter for me.

Depends on the content you're covering. Blue is more fun, you can run around and make larger pulls while controlling them on the fly.

Red is the damage dealer, so in group content, when your job is to deal as much damage as possible - red all the way.

I keep sets of both blue line and red line LI's, so I can chop and change to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    My husband, who has seven Hunters,* runs them all red. He says he occasionally toys with the idea of blue, because it gives the Hunter more range. (As well as to be able to shoot while running, like Legolas. ) But he hasn't done it yet.
    Higher range is in red line, not blue.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Depends on the content you're covering.

I'm just landscape and questing, instances not my cup of tea.

Thanks so much everyone for the input!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post
    Aha, then the choice would be easy if it was my choice. Blue all the way.

That is what we are here for in the forums, to share hints, tips and tricks with each other, as well as nag on the devs and QQ at times, he he he !!!

Your blue hunter skills will proc a 10% run buff in combat so at later levels not a lot can catch you
    Blue traits run out of steam at the bottom of the tree so dip a way into red, low cut will sort out any melee that do reach you (root/slow) whilst you are still on ranged targets. Rain of arrows is fun but not as much at it once was. As mentioned Red has 40m range and Blue only 30m, but that's only skills auto attack is still 40m so you can still pull with auto if needed.

It was a sorry state when a while back all the red hunters switched to blue for the better damage and mashed two buttons and never moved when true blues were using all their skills. That brought on the nerf that made it clunky, but still fun once you got used to it.
    If your intellect can't fathom my reasoning it's me who's unreasonable?

There are 8 trait points from finishing 24 skill deeds. Combat traps requires a level 1 yellow skill. More depend on being in red. So you may want to run in red for a while to get some of those skill deeds done or done faster. One is to get 1000 crits on pen shot which is easier from camo (+50% crit) in red than blue. I have a hunter doing Dunland in red for that reason. I find red more of a slower set piece combat and more boring than blue. Still,doing some of the skill traits in red at least familiarizes one to red.

Switched to blue last night and had a blast!

Thumbs up

Switched to blue last night and had a blast!
    Happy to hear You are having fun !!! The way it should be. As long as You have no intention of participating in end-game instances or harder content You should have alot of fun in blue. In fact even end-game content is fun in blue, but no one will want You as it takes longer to kill stuff due to less DPS. In some cases where it's even timed in end-game content (as buffs/corruptions builds up on mobs, bosses etc) You could fail to kill something in time and not make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    Happy to hear You are having fun !!! The way it should be. As long as You have no intention of participating in end-game instances or harder content You should have alot of fun in blue. In fact even end-game content is fun in blue, but no one will want You as it takes longer to kill stuff due to less DPS. In some cases where it's even timed in end-game content (as buffs/corruptions builds up on mobs, bosses etc) You could fail to kill something in time and not make it.
    Oh, I'm good with that. I never go into groups anyway because of constant afks at home. Something about the danger of telling the missus that I'm busy and in a fellow......

Thumbs up

Oh, I'm good with that. I never go into groups anyway because of constant afks at home. Something about the danger of telling the missus that I'm busy and in a fellow......
    Oh I know that all to well. back in the days when having smaller kids, babies even. Gaming had to be put at 100th spot as far as importance goes (as it should when having chosen to have kids). Even when kids asleep though, then the partner had to be kept happy and not *sighing* deeply between every word, so yeah, I feel You !!!

Nowdays it's just me and my son, sometimes stepson joins in on voice chat too (as he lives by himself since years now) and we play games as much as we like. Well as long as I've done food for my son after I get home and he's done his chores first. Then what we do with our time and money is up to us. No more sitting watching Hollywood Wifes or Idol on TV in the evenings just to make someone else happy.

I have a female friend that has to sneak off upstairs from her hubby to play or sacrifice sleep to play, as she is aways burden with all the chores and care for the kids while he reads sport news, so it can go both ways I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    ... (As well as to be able to shoot while running, like Legolas. ) ...
    One of my favorite Legolas-like things is to shoot mid-air when I get punted by a troll.
    Michaleo / Nodread / Wrytune / Truroar / Varmentor Toolmaker
    Landroval www.shadowbanekinship.com michaleo.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michaleo View Post
    One of my favorite Legolas-like things is to shoot mid-air when I get punted by a troll.
    Cool!

...characters for the character counter....
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

just to add my 2 cents. people are always saying, "play Blue if you like kiting things". I've been Blue line since traits came out. I rarely have to kite anything, although I'll admit that I do put more into some defensive stats rather than being all offensive, glass cannon type.