We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I get an error trying to log in.

It says: "Failed to read authentication response [err: unexpected end of file][line: 1][col: 1]". When I write my password and try to log in i got this error. It's after that today's update. What is wrong in here guys?

that's because we have a down-time for a bug fix.

Quote Originally Posted by GodRules View Post
    It says: "Failed to read authentication response [err: unexpected end of file][line: 1][col: 1]". When I write my password and try to log in i got this error. It's after that today's update. What is wrong in here guys?
    The update is still I progress. the launcher is skipping the patching step.
    Shadowhaven, lvl 120 Hunter, Rank 12
    Knights of Dol Amroth, Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by GodRules View Post
    Have also the same problem.

Servers are down for an update for fixes, should be back up soon, but what surprises me is right blow the log in button it says, Downtime Notice and so on in yellow letters, yet people still make a thread saying there an error to log in.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    Servers are down for an update for fixes, should be back up soon, but what surprises me is right blow the log in button it says, Downtime Notice and so on in yellow letters, yet people still make a thread saying there an error to log in.
    In their defense, that error DOES look pretty error-y. "Failed to read authentication response [err: Unexpected end of file]" appears to mean, "I'm the client, and I tried to check your login and password with the server, but it didn't answer me." There are probably ways to phrase this error in English that would make it less distressing.

I'd suggest: "Server did not respond to authentication request. Please check to see if this is a scheduled downtime." You can even put the unexpected EOF details after that.

User-facing error messages ought to be gentle ;-).
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Victory's Secret: Ardith Exhibitionaire (Woman Captain)
    Feel the Breeze! Naked Aventuring: http://www.lotro.com/forums/showthre...endary-servers

Quote Originally Posted by Echoweaver View Post
    In their defense, that error DOES look pretty error-y. "Failed to read authentication response [err: Unexpected end of file]" appears to mean, "I'm the client, and I tried to check your login and password with the server, but it didn't answer me." There are probably ways to phrase this error in English that would make it less distressing.

I'd suggest: "Server did not respond to authentication request. Please check to see if this is a scheduled downtime." You can even put the unexpected EOF details after that.

Agreed some might think error is something else, but What I'd like to see is what a few other MMOs do is once you open their launcher a small window pops up saying there's a downtime today, i think if lotro did this without the error message it would help many
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

In their defense, that error DOES look pretty error-y. "Failed to read authentication response [err: Unexpected end of file]" appears to mean, "I'm the client, and I tried to check your login and password with the server, but it didn't answer me."
    Well, yes. It sounds like buzzspeak. But after one encounters it a couple of times, one learns to associate it with "Oh, the worlds aren't up yet."

Well, yes. But LotRO players (and, indeed players of any game of this kind) can be expected to be just a smidgen tech-savvy. Even I, who am older than computers, recognize that message for "all-purpose it didn't work, try later."
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Agreed some might think error is something else, but What I'd like to see is what a few other MMOs do is once you open their launcher a small window pops up saying there's a downtime today, i think if lotro did this without the error message it would help many

According to an earlier message else where on the forums. SSG hadn't posted the heads up on the login page. It was done by Cordovan as a response to a forum message about it!

So if we have to remind their customer services about it, it's not high on their list of priorities so I don't see them altering the notification process anytime soon!

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    But LotRO players (and, indeed players of any game of this kind) can be expected to be just a smidgen tech-savvy. Even I, who am older than computers, recognize that message for "all-purpose it didn't work, try later."
    LOL. Well, fwiw, I'm a software engineer, and I usually don't expect to see, "Unexpected EOF" for an authentication fail. It looks like the authentication didn't do any response checking beyond the explicit responses it would expect to get from the server when it's running.

I think there's a greater-than-average number of tech-savvy players. Also, I think the average years the player base has been playing is pretty high. That's still plenty of people to get freaked out.

YES YES YES.

Though, that would require the server to be returning something saying it's down? The client isn't going to know when you run it -- it only knows what the server tells it, and when the server's down, it's not saying anything. I don't know what the required infrastructure is to pop up a notification of scheduled downtime in the client when the server is already down.

The news ticker is up, though. Probably the client could check something there.
    Feel the Breeze! Naked Aventuring: http://www.lotro.com/forums/showthre...endary-servers

can not connect yet and nobody says anything from the part of the game that occurs follow maintenance or no

If I ever get any kind of error logging on I check this: https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/lotro.com.html

The time they give is not very clear.

Patcher is now up.

Patcher is up.
    Viniel, 120 Minstrel -- (and others)

And it's a fairly short patch, consisting of a long one with "x64" in the name and some short ones. Perhaps they've fixed the 64-bit bug?

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    And it's a fairly short patch, consisting of a long one with "x64" in the name and some short ones. Perhaps they've fixed the 64-bit bug?
    Which 64-bit bug?

You know the centipede with 32 pairs of legs; each leg is a bit of the whole
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 104 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    You know the centipede with 32 pairs of legs; each leg is a bit of the whole
    Pthbbbt.

Which 64-bit bug?
    The one I mentioned on some thread or other a couple weeks ago, right after the previous patch. Whatever it was, every time I tried to launch with 64-bit set, I did not even get an error message; the launcher quietly closed and set me gently back on the desktop. So I went back to 32-bit.

Now I can launch with 64-bit again.

That bug, which seems to've been fixed with today's patch.

According to an earlier message else where on the forums. SSG hadn't posted the heads up on the login page. It was done by Cordovan as a response to a forum message about it!<

Sorry but you got this backward. The mistake was putting the announcement on the launcher and not putting it in these forums. And it was corrected almost immediately - well before the downtime actually started.

SSG isn't perfect but if they say right at the top of the launcher that the servers are down, and people *still* try to log-in and then post messages asking what is going on - that isn't on them.

Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    SSG isn't perfect but if they say right at the top of the launcher that the servers are down, and people *still* try to log-in and then post messages asking what is going on - that isn't on them.
    Agreed.

It's on the players to pay attention to the messages being presented to them.

Scheduled downtimes should always be announced on the launcher - it's the one thing *everyone* sees when they try to enter the game.

Announcements on Forums and Twitter are important and appreciated as well, but the launcher is the one commonality between all players.