We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rianedor View Post
    I feel that I am being encouraged to abandon Lotro after all these years.
    Yeah. Lack of a proper Mac client and complete lack of support for anyone running the game under Wine means I've decided not to spend any more money on LOTRO unless those things change.

Lightbulb Catalina & Wine

For those who aren't too terrified of anything non-Macintosh: switch from Wine to Bootcamp. Then you'll be able to enjoy not only LOTRO on your mac, but any other PC-only games too. Just my 2c.

Jaylaxel - 83 LM | Moiron - 120 Champ | Aedush - R5 Stalker

I wish SSG would explain why they can't make the launcher 64-bit, rather than taking the lazy approach (that's the impression I get with no explanation) on relying on the Wine team to figure out how to support 32-bit apps in Catalina.

I feel bad for you all. Hugs from a long-time Mac player (until 2016).

EDIT: I would suggest the Bootcamp option as well. Helped me out a couple of times during my Mac usage.
    **Lifetime VIP Player** (since 2007)
    Hope dies last, but it dies.

Bootcamp means you have to buy a windoze license. Eewwwww.

You need to fix this!! We need the 64 bit launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinGreenleaf View Post
    You need to fix this!! We need the 64 bit launcher.
    It's currently not in SSG's hands. Their Mac client relies on Wine, and the Wine Project is still working on a 64-bit MacOS client that can run Windows Apps.

The real reason behind all of this is Apple. If you want to blame someone, you will have to blame them. They in their wisdom decided to remove OpenGL from MacOS some time ago, and as a result SSG (and companies supporting other older games such as The Sims) faced a choice: Completely re-write the game so it could work with the newer "Metal" libraries that MacOS uses for modern games, or use an alternative solution such as Wine to run the Windows version of the client. Given the limited amount of people playing on a Mac, and probably an even more limited amount of VIP players paying for the game on a Mac, combined with the fact they only have limited personnel and resources to spend on this.... they opted for the most economic solution to solve Apple screwing over gamers that like older games: Wine!

Wine allowed the Windows game client to be ran on Windows, and although there have been some mixed reviews.... in most cases the game ran fairly well, especially on newer MacOS computers. Unfortunately, when Apple made the next move - completely removing 32-bit libraries from the OS - it meant that the Wine client would no longer work in its current form. I expect it will again in the future, but as all abilities to run 32-bit code have been removed from MacOS, they will need to wait till Wine has released a new version.

There has been work, there have been alpha releases.... but there is no solution as of yet.

I am facing the same problem: My wife likes to play Civilization III, and it is a 32bit app.... and as it is highly unlikely anyone will release a 64bit port, I will have to figure out a way to make it run. My solution was Wine with the Windows version, but that is running into the same issues as Lotro: It's not ready.

So, I would suggest simply NOT UPGRADING your MacOS if you can, and if you plan to get a new Macbook for Christmas..... keep your old one to play Lotro.

Best bet indeed is to do multi-boot with bootcamp and load Windows, but that takes a good 100 Gb of your disk space away, which you may not have on a 256 GB SSD Macbook.

But at the end of the day, Apple is the one to blame here. They basically issued a big "eff you" to gamers - in particular those still running older games.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2