We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyhannah View Post
    when you say "boot into a windows environment" what does that mean? on my mac? or are you saying switch to a different computer, hp/dell for example?\
    He's suggesting to run a version of Windows and to run the Windows version of LOTRO.

You can achieve that in a few different ways:

• You can allocate a portion of your hard drive for 'bootcamp' and install a version of Windows on that. You will have to pay for the Windows license for that. Here is a link on how to create a bootcamp partition. Once you have a 'Bootcamp' volume with Windows installed, you restart and launch into it (choosing it as the 'startup disk') and you will be in a normal, full Windows world. You then have to install the Windows version of LOTRO on it. You have to restart to switch back to Mac OS.
    • You can run an instance of Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox or other virtual environment software on your Mac, load a Windows VM within that and run the Windows LOTRO in that. Both Parallels and VMWare sell package versions that include a Windows license. VirtualBox(free) would require you to purchase a separate Windows license. Performance is not as good as the other options, but on any fairly new Mac (say, 3 years old or newer) this should be definitely playable -- I did this for years on a much older laptop and could sustain play on up to 'very high' graphics. 'Ultra' graphics would cause it to crawl and lag, though. You should have ability to devote several gigs of RAM to the Windows VM so if you have a Mac with less than 8 GB of ram this might not work so well.
    • Note on both of the above options: If you happen to HAVE an unused Windows license -- let's say you have an old PC that you don't use -- you can technically re-use the license for that one. You would have to install the same version of Windows that that is for, though, so you'd need to have a copy of the installer for that. Not all PCs come with separate install disks (in fact that almost never happens anymore). You can also sometimes purchase older versions of Windows used on e-bay for cheaper. LOTRO will usually run on any version of Windows from XP or newer. So you may save a lot of money by going that route rather than purchasing a brand new Windows 10 license.
    • Finally, you can try running in CodeWeavers' Crossover Mac product - Codeweavers is a commercial re-packaging of WINE (or maybe WINE is a free, open-source re-packaging of CW?). The way CodeWeaver and Wine work is not by providing a virtual Windows environment, but rather to implement the run-time ABI (application binary interface) that Windows provides, except implemented on other host operating systems such as Linux & Mac OS. Basically, they re-implement the library calls natively on the target system. So it is more of an adapter, and not really an emulator, and the performance is very good - much better than with the above virtual environments. And neither Codeweavers or Wine require a Windows license. LOTRO for the MAC is currently delivered on top of a Wine shim. The problem is that it is not yet updated to work on top of Catalina. Codeweavers latest release HAS been updated for Catalina and some folks HAVE been able to get LOTRO running on top of it.

ALL THAT SAID:

Here is what I recommend you do: Forget Windows and just do one of the following:

• If you are currently running Mojave (Mac OS 10.14.x) on the Mac, you can just choose to stay there. LOTRO runs just fine on Mojave and Apple will almost certainly continue to issue security updates and patches for Mojave for the next year or two -- by the time they stop supporting it, LOTRO on Wine should have been ported to be fully 64-bit. This is my current choice.
    • If you feel you MUST update to (or are already running) Catalina (Mac OS 10.15.x) then consider doing the following alternative to Bootcamp: Instead of allocating a partition of your hard drive to Bootcamp, instead allocate a portion of your hard drive to be a separate bootable Mac partition, and install Mojave (Mac OS 10.14) on it. Then just install the regular LOTRO for Mac on that. Just like with Bootcamp, you will need to do a restart and select the Mojave startup disk in order to run LOTRO and then restart and select the Catalina partition when you need to use applications that require Catalina. But it will still be Mac OS in either case, no separate license will be needed and you will be able to access and work with many of the same applications and data in either mode. Both partitions would be Mac file systems so you would have no monkey business with moving data between them. Each just looks like a normal drive mounted by the other. Here is a great guide to downloading & installing older Mac OS versions:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ma...-os-x-3629363/

And here are a couple of guides to creating a separate bootable partition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3R2xTPLhgc
      https://www.imore.com/how-to-partition-your-mac

The only times the last alternative wouldn't be an option would be if your Mac is so new it MUST run Catalina -- though I don't believe Apple has yet released any such models just yet as I write this -- or if you simply don't have enough free space to allocate for a separate bootable OS.

I hope this is helpful.
    Pew! Pew! Pew!

Angry Y'all are missing the point

I own Mac precisely so I don't have to f**k with M$ Windoze. Any solution that involves Windoze is a de facto LOSER (as are the people espousing such ####).

Quote Originally Posted by WhifOfDespair View Post
    • If you are currently running Mojave (Mac OS 10.14.x) on the Mac, you can just choose to stay there. LOTRO runs just fine on Mojave and Apple will almost certainly continue to issue security updates and patches for Mojave for the next year or two -- by the time they stop supporting it, LOTRO on Wine should have been ported to be fully 64-bit. This is my current choice.
    • If you feel you MUST update to (or are already running) Catalina (Mac OS 10.15.x) then consider doing the following alternative to Bootcamp: Instead of allocating a partition of your hard drive to Bootcamp, instead allocate a portion of your hard drive to be a separate bootable Mac partition, and install Mojave (Mac OS 10.14) on it. Then just install the regular LOTRO for Mac on that. Just like with Bootcamp, you will need to do a restart and select the Mojave startup disk in order to run LOTRO and then restart and select the Catalina partition when you need to use applications that require Catalina. But it will still be Mac OS in either case, no separate license will be needed and you will be able to access and work with many of the same applications and data in either mode. Both partitions would be Mac file systems so you would have no monkey business with moving data between them. Each just looks like a normal drive mounted by the other. Here is a great guide to downloading & installing older Mac OS versions:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ma...-os-x-3629363/

And here are a couple of guides to creating a separate bootable partition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3R2xTPLhgc
      https://www.imore.com/how-to-partition-your-mac

The only times the last alternative wouldn't be an option would be if your Mac is so new it MUST run Catalina -- though I don't believe Apple has yet released any such models just yet as I write this -- or if you simply don't have enough free space to allocate for a separate bootable OS.

I hope this is helpful.
    Very helpful! And exactly what I did. Pah-tooie on Windows unless you really need it for something.

I updated my main system to Catalina last year and I use it for work and all my general computing tasks. I have a lot of old 32-bit applications including some games I still love which have not yet been updated – and in some cases will never be updated – to 64-bit so I bought a small external SSD and installed Mojave onto it. Just the system, I keep all the applications on my roomy main drive. It takes less than a minute to reboot and once I'm booted from the external and running Mojave I can use any of those old applications – it doesn't matter that the applications are resident on the non-boot volume.

Question: However, I can't install LOTRO because the Mac installer for LOTRO is insisting on downloading all the game resources, about 30gb, onto the boot volume. My boot volume, the external SSD from which I run Mojave, is pretty small and I don't have enough space there. I can't do the install while booted in Catalina because all of that happens under WINE which is the thing which is still 32-bit. Is there any way to force the LOTRO installer for Mac to place the game resources somewhere other than ~/Library/Application Support? It shouldn't matter where the game executable or data files are sitting as long as WINE and within it the game app is launched while booted into Mojave (or earlier).

Quote Originally Posted by WhifOfDespair View Post
    The current MacBooks etc are coming with Catalina, so unfortunately it won't let you install a lower OS Version anywhere.

I managed to get LOTRO running with Catalina with Codeweavers Crossover 19 (this seems to be the commercial version of WINE): https://www.codeweavers.com

- download and install Crossover
    - download the windows installer of lotro
    - create a WIN7 bottle
    - install and patch lotrolive.exe
    - lower the resolution of your monitor before you start the game (lotro seems to crash in fullscreen mode if you have an unsupported resolution)
    - if it asks for direct 10 somewhere during startup, say no
    - if you get a black screen don't worry, close the game (I had to fully restart my computer)
    - now you should have a UserPreferences.ini in your Documents folder, open it and edit to make it run in windowed mode (see below)
    - run lotro again - since you are in windowed mode by now, it should start fine and you can switch back your computers resolution to your preferred setting

I had to disable the check for verified developers:
    Open terminal and type: sudo spctl --master-disable

To turn it back on: sudo spctl --master-enable

Add this to your UserPreferences.ini:
    Code:
    [Display]
    AllowDesktopCompositing=True
    AllowFakeFullScreen=True
    AllowWindowResizing=True
    Antialiasing=Disabled
    ConfineFullScreenMouseCursor=True
    FixedOutputScaling=Default
    ForceFakeFullScreen=False
    FullScreen=False
    RefreshRate=Auto
    Resolution=800x600
    ScreenMode=Windowed
    SyncToRefresh=True
    TripleBuffering=False
    WindowedResolution=1792x1120
    The above did work for me, there might be other ways to get the game running.
    Last edited by Ursar; Jul 30 2020 at 11:54 AM.

use playonmac

PlayOnMac has started working again: https://www.playonmac.com/en/

Quote Originally Posted by JtX0YsJQwY View Post
    PlayOnMac has started working again: https://www.playonmac.com/en/
    And this works on the free version? You have tested it?
    Mac OS player!

Quote Originally Posted by Stigger32 View Post
    And this works on the free version? You have tested it?
    Looks like a GUI for WINE. If so, it’s not going to work with LOTRO on any version of MacOS without 32-bit support. Based on the very few recent comments on the PlayOnMac website about LOTRO, that seems to be the case:
    https://www.playonmac.com/en/topic-1...t_working.html

Try Codeweavers’s Crossover, v20 works on both Catalina and Big Sur. I have LOTRO running on my Big Sur boot volume using Crossover, it works so well and is so much more convenient than restarting to my Mojave volume just to play this game that I bought a license. Here are my notes about my experience doing that and suggestions for others thinking of giving the Crossover free trial a go:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...Big-Sur-11-0-1

Honestly though, if you don’t really need any of the features introduced in Catalina or Big Sur, and your Mac isn’t so new that it can’t run Mojave, then just stick to Mojave. It’s a perfectly good OS, it’s still getting security updates, and you get the latest version of Safari. And you’ll have no extra expense of a Crossover license or risking something potentially sketchy like PlayOnMac since the LOTRO WINE client that SSG provides works very nicely under Mojave.

If you want Big Sur for a good reason and your Mac is not of too recent a vintage to be unable to run Mojave, create a new volume on your drive (or purchase a nice little external SSD) and install Mojave onto that. Reboot to Mojave only when you want to play LOTRO and go back to your Big Sur boot volume when it’s time to get back to work. That’s what I was doing until not that many days ago and I will still need to reboot into Mojave every now and then because there are a number of other applications I use sometimes which are 32-bit and so require Mojave or earlier to run.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Nov 21 2020 at 02:25 AM.

Can a Mac newbie do this. ????

Quote Originally Posted by Telvrandir View Post
    Well, yes, you could install Catalina on the new volume and migrate your work files over or work from your iCloud drive, but it's also possible to do it the other way round, as I did, since LoTRO will be the only thing still running on Mojave after I update. I installed Mojave on the new volume and downloaded the game there. It took ages, but finally after confirming that it works , I updated to Catalina on the old volume and deleted LoTRO there.

Instructions all here - for newer operating systems on APFS-formatted disks: https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT208891
    (With an OS older than High Sierra, you could partition the drive but doing that is more fiddly than with APFS)

All said and done, I'd still like a 64-bit launcher, please.
    Hi, this is the first time I see this solution! So far I only read about installing Windows in a Mac but I don’t like that option.
    I stil have Mohave on my Imac 2017 and now it came to the point that I have to upgrade to Catalina. I’m working from home fulltime atm and have to upgrade Citrix which requires Catalina. And I really like to keep playing LOTRO on my Mac.
    So can a Mac newbie make a new volume? Is it easier then installing Windows?

Or can I use my Samsung SSD T5 for that (installing Mohave on it). No clue what it needs in space and what it does to the info on the SSD..
    Hopefully someone can give me some advice about this.

Thanks in advance )

Gr.
    Last edited by Mystada; Nov 29 2020 at 01:38 PM.
    DimDim - Maila - Aerawyn - Falya - Mystada

Quote Originally Posted by Mystada View Post
    Hi, this is the first time I see this solution! So far I only read about installing Windows in a Mac but I don’t like that option.
    I stil have Mohave on my Imac 2017 and now it came to the point that I have to upgrade to Catalina. I’m working from home fulltime atm and have to upgrade Citrix which requires Catalina. And I really like to keep playing LOTRO on my Mac.
    So can a Mac newbie make a new volume? Is it easier then installing Windows?

Or can I use my Samsung SSD T5 for that (installing Mohave on it). No clue what it needs in space and what it does to the info on the SSD..
    It's way easier than installing Windows. By using either a boot volume for Mojave you can maintain full compatibility with the current LOTRO Mac client (which is actually the Windows client packaged with WINE) and you don't have to put any icky Microsoft stuff on your nice Mac or pay for a Windows license.

You actually have a lot of options:
    1- Create a new APFS volume on your iMac's main drive and install Mojave onto that, then copy your LOTRO installation over to the new Mohave volume.
    2- Create a new APFS volume on your iMac's main drive and install Catalina (or more likely at this point, Big Sur) onto that, install Citrix onto that so you can upgrade it to the latest version that isn't compatible with Mojave.
    3- Your Samsung T5 SSD is USB 3.1 Gen2 so it is very fast assuming you're plugging it into one of your iMac's Thunderbolt/USB C ports. So you can boot from there and get very nice performance. You can put Mojave on there and copy over your LOTRO installation afterward.
    4- As per (3) but install Catalina/Big Sur on the external SSD and install Citrix there.

I assume you're using your external SSD for something so it's probably better to keep all your boot volumes on your internal drive IF the internal drive is an SSD AND you have enough room to do it. A new OS installation only needs about 20gb of space and LOTRO needs about 40gb of space. Be careful you aren't coming too close to topping off your drive, that's not good for either SSDs or HDDs.

But you should probably leave your external SSD alone. I assume you're using it for backups or storage of large files or large amounts of files or you wouldn't have it.

IF your internal drive has more than 50% free space remaining:
    1- Create a new APFS volume on your Mac's internal drive.
    2- Use a good backup utility to clone your existing Mojave volume over to the new volume. CarbonCopyCloner is the best, no other utility works as well or has support nearly as good. You can get it here:
    https://bombich.com
    There are plenty of other ways, including free ways, to clone a volume but that's beyond the scope of this reply. I'm sure you can work it out.
    3- Install Catalina (or Big Sur) onto your original volume. Once that's done you can upgrade your Citrix. You will be able to do all your work from your original volume but the LOTRO client for Mac (which is actually the Windows client packaged with WINE) will not work there anymore.
    4- When you want to play the game, reboot to the new volume that's set up exactly as you remember before you made any changes. You won't be able to use your upgraded Citrix there so you might as well delete it from that volume. But LOTRO will work exactly as it did before you made any changes to your system.

If you do NOT have enough space on the internal drive to clone your entire existing Mojave volume but you DO have at least 100gb of free space:
    1- Create a new APFS volume on your Mac's internal drive.
    2- Do a clean install of Mojave onto the new APFS volume.
    3- Copy your LOTRO installation over to the new APFS volume. There are three places from which you need to copy from your original volume and the copies have to be placed in the identical relative paths on the new volume:
    a- ~/Library/Application Support has a folder called com.standstonegames.lotro.
    b- /Applications has an app called lotroclient.
    c- ~/Documents has a folder called The Lord of the Rings Online.
    4- Reboot to the new volume, make sure the game is working. If everything checks out, you can reboot to your original volume and then upgrade it to Catalina (or Big Sur) and your Citrix to the current incompatible-with-Mojave version.
    5- At that point, when it's time to do work, you boot to the Catalina (or Big Sur) volume for Citrix and whatever else you use for business. And when it's time to play, you boot to the Mojave volume and launch LOTRO.

If you don't have at least 100gb of free space you're going to have to use an external drive to supplement your internal drive. But I still don't recommend using your existing SSD if you're using it for something else, get another one and use that instead.

I'll also note that you can get the Crossover compatibility environment which is basically the "pro" version of WINE. The downside to Crossover is that it costs money, $40-$60 per year or thereabouts depending on the license option you choose and whether you get it with a discount code or not. The upside is that it will allow you to run LOTRO in post-Mojave versions of MacOS. I still have my Mojave volume and LOTRO installed on that because I have a bunch of 32-bit Mac apps that I like to use which will never be updated to 64-bit for compatibility with the latest MacOSes. But I also have Big Sur for most of the things I do with my Mac and I have Lotro installed there using Crossover, which works very well. I go into extremely tedious detail about using Crossover to install and run LOTRO on Big Sur in this thread:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...Big-Sur-11-0-1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3