We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Soloing old instances

Hi,

I remember in WoW, when getting bored waiting for new content, we'd run solo or duo many of the old instances and raids, way over level. It was a good source of money and lots of nice loots like mounts and pets. There is even a web page dedicated to that, with a list of instances and raids, the level at which they are soloable, the fancy loot one can get, etc.

I've tried searching for an equivalent page for LOTRO with no success, then tried checking what I could get from low level instances/raids, but all I see is bosses dropping good loot for their intended level. I'm not even sure it is worth it as vendor trash. And apparently many instances do require more than one people because of switches and whatnot.

So is there this culture is LOTRO of running old instances and raids for profit and fancy-shmancy stuff? Maybe even a page with details about that that I couldn't find the right search terms for?

Thanks.

Probably the only motivation for to run old instances with over-leveled characters is to complete deeds, and meta-deeds normally have a mount as reward.

Or maybe to get some unique gear piece or weapon for to use it cosmetically. Or decorations for your house.

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

Occasionally you can get a raid like Throne of the Dread Terror that drops coin for something that has no other alternative means of repeatably obtaining in the game, namely Imbubed Legacy Replacement Scrolls.

Deeds is the usual and Meta deeds can have mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Neofit26 View Post
    Hi,

I remember in WoW, when getting bored waiting for new content, we'd run solo or duo many of the old instances and raids, way over level. It was a good source of money and lots of nice loots like mounts and pets. There is even a web page dedicated to that, with a list of instances and raids, the level at which they are soloable, the fancy loot one can get, etc.

I've tried searching for an equivalent page for LOTRO with no success, then tried checking what I could get from low level instances/raids, but all I see is bosses dropping good loot for their intended level. I'm not even sure it is worth it as vendor trash. And apparently many instances do require more than one people because of switches and whatnot.

So is there this culture is LOTRO of running old instances and raids for profit and fancy-shmancy stuff? Maybe even a page with details about that that I couldn't find the right search terms for?

Thanks.
    Everything you must know.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ion-Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by Olgomil View Post
    Probably the only motivation for to run old instances with over-leveled characters is to complete deeds, and meta-deeds normally have a mount as reward.

Or maybe to get some unique gear piece or weapon for to use it cosmetically. Or decorations for your house.

Or help other players

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    Or help other players
    Of course, I was speaking about soloing old instances yourself.

Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

A good deal of the instance equipment can be obtained outside instances (though not all of them) for skirmish marks or local barter currency, which makes running them less interesting. Pets were introduced into the game after Riders of Rohan IIRC, and the pets-from-instances thing began only with Throne of the Dread Terror, which cannot be soloed yet. So this question was posted a tad too early for this game.

Some meta deeds give you interesting mounts. I walked my lore master through every part of Moria for the Nimble Black Goat. He also obtained a pair of gloves, that looks quite unique, and is part of this set: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Hall-general's_Armour. But this set again isn't a drop, but bartered for coins that are looted from the boxes behind the instance bosses.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Awkward Anomalities Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Minas Tirith under attack!

Scared people tend to follow the flock, no matter which shepherd it has

In this game there's probably more fun to be had in trying to solo/duo instances AT-level, rather than way above, as even after being buffed recently, most pre-75 content is really easy thanks to assorted changes entirely unrelated to instances that have happened over the years. In addition, most instances that scale offer either no interesting loot (having been gutted for boring scaling drops) or have their mounts/titles gated behind challenge quests only completeable at cap (with the fun side-effect that many mounts, titles and deeds can no longer be obtained today at the level they were designed for).

Also, unlike WoW, very few mounts in this game appear as drops, with most raid mounts being rewards for completing all the deeds in a given instance cluster. Some of those deeds (again, due to scaling nonsense) can only be completed at whatever the cap is at the time, but you can still earn the Angmar, Moria, Lothlorien and Isengard meta-horses at their intended levels. Throne meanwhile offers no horse, but does drop an assortment of cosmetic pets and housing items not available elsewhere in-game. There are also a few raid and instance drops with unique cosmetics (some of the barter armor sets are also unique, though they have been steadily re-released recently so that may not stay the case), too many to list here (and probably not specifically listed anywhere). There are also titles and virtue experience to get, if you're into that.

As to anti-solo mechanics, there are only two fights I can think of off-hand that are outright impossible to solo, ever, those being mammoths (wound wing) of Ost Dunhoth (where you need six people to open the doors and at least three to actually do the first half of the fight) and Saruman (which you can start solo but requires five people to be able to complete) in Orthanc. That does also mean that you're gated out of Ost Dunhoth fear wing (requires completing wound) and Ost Dunhoth Ivar/Gortheron (which requires completing the first four wings of Ost Dunhoth) if you're strictly solo, due to the six bodies requirement of wound.

Most other "pull two levers" or whatever mechanics can be done solo by a class that has at least a 30% speed buff (most of them...doesn't matter if it's a temporary buff) and a decent knowledge of where to go (you can earn this in-instance while doing them). The challenge quest in Water Wheels of Nala Dum in Moria is the exception to this (it actually requires two bodies, though one body can be you on a second account as the only challenge is pulling a lever behind a retracting bridge), but there is no deed or meaningful loot from the challenge, so you can skip it (the allegedly non-soloable lever bit required to complete the instance is doable with a speed buff) solo). There are also a few fights that are notably harder to solo than the rest of the instance they're in (Brumbereth in Skumfil, the Mistress of Pestilence in DN, Thaurlach in The Rift), typically due to mechanics that SHOULD require other players but can be DPSed past if you're overpowered enough, but all of those are soloable at 120, as well as a few fights that are more difficult than you'd expect solo even over-level (anything featuring lots of adds that do percentage-based damage...you see a lot of this in the Osgiliath instances), but those are also soloable eventually.

Of course there's also content like Throne, where there's no mechanical reason to prevent soloing, but there's simply too high a DPS requirement to solo it in a spec that can survive the damage and too much incoming damage to survive as anything with enough DPS to kill the bosses for the moment, though this will probably change in the future.

That said, I will reiterate that especially if you have someone to duo with, this is all notably more fun/challenging/provides relevant loot-ing at-level than it is over-level.
    Saelraen Feywind, Third Worst Champion on Landroval
    Dead and buried, gone and forgotten. Mostly.
    Sunshine and rainbows and death! Yay!

I wish we could load up a group of skirm soldiers to do old content. They would have to be "Skirmish Versions" since some of them are too complex for AI. Given the size of the game and the breadth of it that is irrelevant to your present level it would be good to find a way to make the old content accessible while still being fun and rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by azurebob99 View Post
    As to anti-solo mechanics, there are only two fights I can think of off-hand that are outright impossible to solo, ever, those being mammoths (wound wing) of Ost Dunhoth (where you need six people to open the doors and at least three to actually do the first half of the fight) and Saruman (which you can start solo but requires five people to be able to complete) in Orthanc.

If I'm not mistaken, there's also Draigoch (6 people to start), Helegrod Drake Wing (3 for the switches), Forges of Isengard (2 for the switches) and Dungeon of Naerband (2 for boss fight?).

Quote Originally Posted by Armitas View Post
    I wish we could load up a group of skirm soldiers to do old content. They would have to be "Skirmish Versions" since some of them are too complex for AI. Given the size of the game and the breadth of it that is irrelevant to your present level it would be good to find a way to make the old content accessible while still being fun and rewarding.

That is an amazing idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Onno View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, there's also Draigoch (6 people to start), Helegrod Drake Wing (3 for the switches), Forges of Isengard (2 for the switches) and Dungeon of Naerband (2 for boss fight?).
    You are right about Draigoch (you could solo the fight, but not the challenge, and need 6 bodies to start the fight), you are wrong about Foundry (I assume that's what you mean by Forges of Isengard, as there's no instance by that name, and Foundry is the one where you actually fight the forges of Isengard), as you can not only pull switches to drop junk on the first boss solo, but you can also just kill him ignoring the mechanic as he still takes 5% damage with his shield up. You are also technically right about Naerband (that if you got imprisoned on the last boss while solo it would break), but I prefer to pretend that instance does not exist so did not consider it. You can also technically still shenanigans the switches in Helegrod (as you have always been able to), but I guess doing it "as intended" would require three people. Actually now that I think about it, you can also probably shenanigans the challenge levers in Nala Dum the same way to solo that challenge, and I am mildly surprised I never thought of this.

Which would still leave the list of things technically impossible to solo (even with shenanigans) as OD wound wing, Saruman in Orthanc, Draigoch, Pits of Isengard and Dungeons of Naerband, of which Draigoch would be soloable if you brought in five bots to break the floor for you, though the challenge wouldn't be, and Pits would be soloable if you brought a bot for the platform (which is how I soloed it back in RoI).
    Last edited by azurebob99; Oct 04 2019 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by azurebob99 View Post
    You can also technically still shenanigans the switches in Helegrod (as you have always been able to)
    You can? Well, I guess you live and learn ^^

Forges -> Pits of Isengard
    The 3-men where you choose one of two wings after the first boss. Two players have to stand on switches, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Onno View Post
    You can? Well, I guess you live and learn ^^

Forges -> Pits of Isengard
    The 3-men where you choose one of two wings after the first boss. Two players have to stand on switches, iirc.
    If it helps, it's much more efficient time-wise to use three actual people for the levers, if you have three people available.

And while I have never heard Pits called Forges, you are correct that you need two bodies (they need not be warm) to stand on pads to open the gate to the final boss there, and I have edited the previous post accordingly.

Occasionally I may rerun an old Moria/Loth instance by myself to accrue some legendary heritage runes for an LI. Something like Halls of Crafting (which can be run over and over after resetting it) or DN (which does have boss locks, I believe) can net you a decent amount of LI experience runes to apply. This may be helpful when you're getting your imbued LI set up and want to quickly level and decon some junk LIs for legacies, or just to apply directly to an imbued LI to get it going to a usable state.

Relics and whatnot can then be sent to lower level characters to get their relic stash filled up a bit, or the heritage runes can be sent to alts as long as its on the same account.

-----

Also, soloing scalable instances (should be apparent in your Instance Finder panel; something like Iorbar's Peak or Great Barrow instances) that offer the generic scaled loot (something like "Valorous Sword of Penetration" or whatever) at specific levels can be a nice way to offer an alt some pretty decent gear. Note you'll only get gear that matches your armor class, ie a Guardian getting heavy armor, Warden getting medium armor, yadda yadda, but you can do it on a high level Guard and pass the gear to a low level Champion. I believe these instances require doing them at a minimum level of 45 to start getting such gear to drop. I think there's the occasional chance of getting some other fun stuff dropping, like a stat tome or maybe universal solvents.
    Zyngor || Main server: Landroval (also on Arkenstone & others) // LOTRO Players
    My LOTRO Character List (wiki page)

Quote Originally Posted by ani6morphs View Post
    Also, soloing scalable instances (should be apparent in your Instance Finder panel; something like Iorbar's Peak or Great Barrow instances) that offer the generic scaled loot (something like "Valorous Sword of Penetration" or whatever) at specific levels can be a nice way to offer an alt some pretty decent gear. Note you'll only get gear that matches your armor class, ie a Guardian getting heavy armor, Warden getting medium armor, yadda yadda, but you can do it on a high level Guard and pass the gear to a low level Champion. I believe these instances require doing them at a minimum level of 45 to start getting such gear to drop. I think there's the occasional chance of getting some other fun stuff dropping, like a stat tome or maybe universal solvents.
    I pretty sure the gear drops at any level - I ran some of the GB instances at 20 with a new-to-the-game friend the other day and got a nice blue shield for my minstrel that is still worth using at level 30.

Also, instances like the Osgiliath cluster are worth running over level for the coffers of armour that drop if you want them as cosmetics. Bizarrely, these can even be run well under level, as low as 50. Here, the coffers are class-specific, e.g. you have to run with a captain if you want the captain gear.
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Oct 06 2019 at 03:54 AM.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Deeds, cosmetics, decorations are reasons to run old content. Some of us aren't "raiders" and don't really want to run this stuff at level cap.

Dar Narbugud has anti-solo mechanics in the final boss fight. Some adds spawn that can put you to sleep and you need friends to kill them to wake you up. However, everything before that can be soloed if you are strong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLotroFan View Post
    Dar Narbugud has anti-solo mechanics in the final boss fight. Some adds spawn that can put you to sleep and you need friends to kill them to wake you up. However, everything before that can be soloed if you are strong enough.
    The Mistress of Pestilence would still fall under "harder than the rest of the instance" solo-wise, rather than being impossible. If you have a pet or a sufficiently damaging persistent AoE effect, you can use those to break yourself out of the daze, or you can get lucky (or get good at timing) and one-shot the adds with a regular AoE skill if you're over-level enough (one that applies a DoT that kills them in under 30 seconds works too), as while they run quickly they do still spawn on the outside of the room and have to run to you before they can daze you. You would also need enough crowd control available to kill the floatey adds in the first phase that are immune to damage, and of course if you DO get dazed without something active to break you out of it, you'll have to restart, so it can be not very fun, but is soloable with effort on some classes, once adequately over-level. That said, you could probably walk through most of DN at 75 today, but there's likely no chance of soloing the Mistress of Pestilence at that level.