We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Confused.... Are we not using the 64Bit wine client already?

I was under the impression I was already using the 64bit client? Through wine?

How then does this Catalena announcement effect anything???
    Mac OS player!

First, a disclaimer: I'm not very tech savvy.

What I understand is that there's two different things: There's Wine which enables us to continue playing LOTRO.

Then there's the 64-bit client, which you have to enable in the launcher. At the login screen, click the little arrow on top right. Select Options, and at the bottom of the General Settings is the Game Client. Select 64-bit client there.

When I did that, the select button never changed appearance. So I assumed one click would select it, and launched. And I think I'm using the 64 bit client now!

My understanding is that pieces of the Wine client are not 64-bit even though the LOTRO software itself is 64 bit. I don't know if SSG knew Wine wouldn't solve the Catalina problem, but they did come up with the "64 bit" solution in the months after it was clear Catalina would break the existing client utterly. I think a lot of folks thought that would solve the problem until Mojave started warning them. And now, there is apparently no fix in sight (and I am aware that it is a Wine fix, but it feels like the move to Wine was "sold" as a solution to the coming 32-bit death sentence).

So that tells me two ways to resolve this:

1- Never upgrade my Mac as long as I intend to play Lotro.
    2- Use that stupid partition Boot Camp. Which is doable. But it will force me to use Win10. Because it doesn't support Win7 anymore. And 8 just sucks.
    Mac OS player!

Wine client confusion

Mac players could log on & play a until last Tuesday when SGG installed software in the client which killed a Macs login process.

Apparently the client had moved on from the Beta version launched earlier in the year.

The client for Windows players automatically updates itself (The wine version for Macs doesn't appear to do this) so this new software didn't affect them!

A complete reload from scratch of the client was/is required as this new software patch was not compatible with the beta.

SSGs response to tickets on the subject merely state they do not offer technical support to apple OS, and it would appear they also won't tell us about client updates!

Admittedly the Catalina thing won't affect me as I'm using a 10 year old Imac with El Capitan

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBirch View Post
    First, a disclaimer: I'm not very tech savvy.

What I understand is that there's two different things: There's Wine which enables us to continue playing LOTRO.

Then there's the 64-bit client, which you have to enable in the launcher. At the login screen, click the little arrow on top right. Select Options, and at the bottom of the General Settings is the Game Client. Select 64-bit client there.

When I did that, the select button never changed appearance. So I assumed one click would select it, and launched. And I think I'm using the 64 bit client now!
    You're right. That Options window is munged in some way so that you can't see what you clicked, but it works.
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Mithril League: Ardith (Woman Captain)
    Learning to raid on Anor https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...League-Kinship

Quote Originally Posted by Stigger32 View Post

2- Use that stupid partition Boot Camp. Which is doable. But it will force me to use Win10. Because it doesn't support Win7 anymore. And 8 just sucks.
    FWIW, I have no immediate plans to upgrade to Catalina. OS updates haven't offered any features I actually want in some time. Our MacBooks are tanks -- they last until they get ground down by the additional resources required by each OS upgrade.

I have other stuff that's 32-bit that I have no independent reason to replace.

It seems like wine will be motivated by Catalina to get all the way into 64-bit. I wouldn't THINK this is going to be a permanent situation.

I used the Mac client for 6 or more years on my mid-2012 macbook pro with discrete nVidia graphics (running Sierra when Apple released it). This year, installed the WINE client, the client started running real poorly, moved to Mojave, realized nVidia support wasn't as good, downgraded to High Sierra (pretty much the last real support for full nVidia macOS support) and got frustrated with performance of the client. At that point I partitioned 100 GB of my 1TB SSD for Windows 10 (sadly) and installed the Windows client. It works better than the Mac client ever did WINE or no WINE, it is annoying, I feel dirty...but I like the game enough to jump through the hoops.

I find it particularly troubling that SSG won't support the Mac platform anymore. Sure, they are a tiny software developer and don't have any available resources (or perhaps knowledge) to allocate towards development that affects a small percentage of their customers. But it is rare to see a company drop support for something that existed for many years and throw their hands up.

Anyway, my solution, while far from elegant, is what my situation required to run LOTRO on my machine. Good luck everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigger32 View Post

You don't have to run Windows 10. Linux runs 32bit WINE 4.0 just fine now. There's even a player created guide for Linux and WINE, which you can run through dual boot or even a virtual machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Webgiant View Post
    You don't have to run Windows 10. Linux runs 32bit WINE 4.0 just fine now. There's even a player created guide for Linux and WINE, which you can run through dual boot or even a virtual machine.
    So, instead of installing Windows 10, you propose installing Linux? Well, I s'pose that's free.

I've already succumbed to Bootcamp Windows for other games. Not having to reboot to play LOTRO makes my life with this game a lot better.

I even ran Parallels to access my Windows partition from Mac, though I stopped using it when it caused graphics issues with another game years ago. If the door indeed closes on the Mac client, that seems like the thing to experiment with first.

Well macos will run WINE 4.0 just fine too, with homebrew.

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyGreene View Post
    Well macos will run WINE 4.0 just fine too, with homebrew.
    I guess we'll see if that works with Catalina, otherwise we'll indeed have to hold off or just go Bootcamp until they get a full 64-bit solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Periadot View Post
    Mac players could log on & play a until last Tuesday when SGG installed software in the client which killed a Macs login process.

Apparently the client had moved on from the Beta version launched earlier in the year.

The client for Windows players automatically updates itself (The wine version for Macs doesn't appear to do this) so this new software didn't affect them!

A complete reload from scratch of the client was/is required as this new software patch was not compatible with the beta.

SSGs response to tickets on the subject merely state they do not offer technical support to apple OS, and it would appear they also won't tell us about client updates!

Admittedly the Catalina thing won't affect me as I'm using a 10 year old Imac with El Capitan
    The MacOS WINE client updates work perfectly. But yes, you have to delete the previous Mac client completely and then download the new one fresh. Once you do that, it will automatically update when you launch it, just like always.

I'm running High Sierra. My launcher is choked on something. Do I really have to re-download the entire game???
    "A complete reload from scratch of the client was/is required as this new software patch was not compatible with the beta."

Reme
    mber, it is a game.