We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Catalina Public Test OS -- wine64 client

    I was excited with the news that lotro and ddo will be playable in catalina ( after october) . I tried both clients in mojave and both were working with glitches in ddo for example unable to play windowed mode and for lotro constant freezing after a few minutes of running about . So i decided to try again Catalina public beta to check the performance etc. Both games wont install. Both games when run from the executable file inside their packages give a BAD exe error after they install wine/mono/gecko , which from a bit of googling means that a 64bit wine ( yay!!) tries to load unsuccesfully a 32bit application ( NOT so yay!!). Opening a terminal and running just wine from the library/application support/com.standing /lotro and the lotrolive.exe from downloads included in the same folder gives a BAD cpu. Which I sort of expected.

    I truly hope this get fixed by catalina launch so i can try playing the games then . till then good luck!!!!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by retroera View Post
    I was excited with the news that lotro and ddo will be playable in catalina (after October)
    That’s encouraging news and an announcement that I missed. Do you recall where you saw it? Was it here on the Forums?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by retroera View Post
    I was excited with the news that lotro and ddo will be playable in catalina ( after october) . I tried both clients in mojave and both were working with glitches in ddo for example unable to play windowed mode and for lotro constant freezing after a few minutes of running about . So i decided to try again Catalina public beta to check the performance etc. Both games wont install. Both games when run from the executable file inside their packages give a BAD exe error after they install wine/mono/gecko , which from a bit of googling means that a 64bit wine ( yay!!) tries to load unsuccesfully a 32bit application ( NOT so yay!!). Opening a terminal and running just wine from the library/application support/com.standing /lotro and the lotrolive.exe from downloads included in the same folder gives a BAD cpu. Which I sort of expected.

    I truly hope this get fixed by catalina launch so i can try playing the games then . till then good luck!!!!


    Both games had announcements on their launchers that the wine client transition was meant to make them playable after October on Mac OS. At the time October was the month that Catalina would ( as it did ) launch. Perhaps that was a misinterpretation on my end. I got the impression that the devs meant at Catalina cause if they just meant differently the Mac clients were fine to every os version prior to Catalina and needed no new client/launcher to play. In short the game client/launcher as it was would play on Mojave and before machines. Apparently both games won't play as I posted on September on this post after I tested both on Catalina public beta 4. I won't be posting here anymore for I have updated to Catalina. If code weavers or the wine project makes a working wine64 and standing stone games port their games in a playable form on Catalina and on I ll be seeing you then. Good luck

  4. #4

    64 Bits

    Look all Modern Computers are 64 bit Architecture, they're Made to run 64 Applications regardless of the OS their using. The game and Game programer have known this for many years now. Its their fault for not having a working 64 loucher for 64 Machines, Microsoft will be getting rid of their 32 bit applications too sines it cost more to make an OS in both 32 mode and 64 mode. So get going LOTRO before Computers go up to 128 bits and leave You high and Dry.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco105 View Post
    Look all Modern Computers are 64 bit Architecture, they're Made to run 64 Applications regardless of the OS their using. The game and Game programer have known this for many years now. Its their fault for not having a working 64 loucher for 64 Machines, Microsoft will be getting rid of their 32 bit applications too sines it cost more to make an OS in both 32 mode and 64 mode. So get going LOTRO before Computers go up to 128 bits and leave You high and Dry.
    They have known this for years. (Actually, Mac programmers had about 2 years notice that 32 bit code would soon would no longer work, and realistically not much more than a year after getting all the details from Apple. As both a former programmer and software project manager, I know that is not much time at all to update your entire code base. The larger shops committed to Mac can do it. A lot of smaller outfits with limited staff and resources, or for whom Mac is a small percentage of revenue, may not be so sure.

    That said, Microsoft and some other vendors have (for years) maintained both 32- and 64-bit builds; to this day Microsoft still rolls out Windows 10 in both 32- and 64-bit. (I am writing this on a 2004 vintage Toshiba laptop running Windows 10, 32-bit, and no, this isn't one I use often.) In the Windows world, because MS still supports 32-bit processors and produces 32-bit versions of Windows 10, almost all vendors of Windows software still offer 32-bit builds. Not many Mac software vendors maintained both 32 and 64 bit versions of software. Truth is, even once the OS became 64-bit only (was it Lion, 10.7, I think?), as long as 32 bit code could still run, most Mac developers didn't see a need to create 64-bit versions of software. Realistically, yes, developers probably should have started moving to 64-bit as soon as Apple no longer supported any OS versions that were 32 bit. But I digress.

    And yes, 64 bit machines ARE designed to run 64 bit code, but at least in the Wintel world, there has always been an assumption of 32-bit compatibility -- and indeed, 64-bit Intel/AMD processors still have 32-bit compatibility modes -- until Apple made the first move to proactively kill that code. Maybe in the long run it will be a good thing for the advancement of computing that they did.... but there are learning pains for now. For better *and* for worse, Apple has been on the cutting edge of these decisions, whether it was cutting off 32-bit processors years ago or killing 32-bit code with Catalina.

    And to close, as I mentioned in another thread on this today, I have Codeweavers' Crossover 19 and I can confirm that it runs LOTRO on Catalina, when executing the LotRO Windows installer in Crossover, letting it install and complete, AND making sure you do NOT use DirectX 10. That last bit is crucial. Do NOT select DirectX 10 at all at this point in time, it breaks Crossover (and Wine). DirectX 9 works, so if prompted by the LOTRO installer about installing DX9, go ahead. But if later on at launch if it asks you if you want to use DX10, say NO! It runs about the same as it did with the Wine version of the Mac client under Mojave -- in other words, similar performance.

    Crossover is free to try out for 14 days. So if you really want to run LotRO on Catalina, you can download it, update to Catalina and run the Windows installer through Crossover. (I would recommend cloning your boot volume to another volume, perhaps an external USB SSD, and trying it from there, so if it doesn't work, nothing is lost but a little bit of time.) If it works well, you can buy it when the 14 days are up (and feel good about supporting some of the good guys/gals in the business who are helping our Macs run a lot of otherwise inaccessible software titles), or just have the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing it can be done, and stick with Mojave for the time being until and unless a "free" solution emerges before Mojave stops getting security updates.
    Last edited by ziggy29; Jan 03 2020 at 09:54 PM.

  6. #6

    World of warships is 64 bits

    It's true its ben updated for OS Catalina at 64 bits running good, I have tried it on My Mac in Mac Mode. So a company from Europe has made the change to 64.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
    They have known this for years. (Actually, Mac programmers had about 2 years notice that 32 bit code would soon would no longer work, and realistically not much more than a year after getting all the details from Apple. As both a former programmer and software project manager, I know that is not much time at all to update your entire code base. The larger shops committed to Mac can do it. A lot of smaller outfits with limited staff and resources, or for whom Mac is a small percentage of revenue, may not be so sure.

    That said, Microsoft and some other vendors have (for years) maintained both 32- and 64-bit builds; to this day Microsoft still rolls out Windows 10 in both 32- and 64-bit. (I am writing this on a 2004 vintage Toshiba laptop running Windows 10, 32-bit, and no, this isn't one I use often.) In the Windows world, because MS still supports 32-bit processors and produces 32-bit versions of Windows 10, almost all vendors of Windows software still offer 32-bit builds. Not many Mac software vendors maintained both 32 and 64 bit versions of software. Truth is, even once the OS became 64-bit only (was it Lion, 10.7, I think?), as long as 32 bit code could still run, most Mac developers didn't see a need to create 64-bit versions of software. Realistically, yes, developers probably should have started moving to 64-bit as soon as Apple no longer supported any OS versions that were 32 bit. But I digress.

    And yes, 64 bit machines ARE designed to run 64 bit code, but at least in the Wintel world, there has always been an assumption of 32-bit compatibility -- and indeed, 64-bit Intel/AMD processors still have 32-bit compatibility modes -- until Apple made the first move to proactively kill that code. Maybe in the long run it will be a good thing for the advancement of computing that they did.... but there are learning pains for now. For better *and* for worse, Apple has been on the cutting edge of these decisions, whether it was cutting off 32-bit processors years ago or killing 32-bit code with Catalina.

    And to close, as I mentioned in another thread on this today, I have Codeweavers' Crossover 19 and I can confirm that it runs LOTRO on Catalina, when executing the LotRO Windows installer in Crossover, letting it install and complete, AND making sure you do NOT use DirectX 10. That last bit is crucial. Do NOT select DirectX 10 at all at this point in time, it breaks Crossover (and Wine). DirectX 9 works, so if prompted by the LOTRO installer about installing DX9, go ahead. But if later on at launch if it asks you if you want to use DX10, say NO! It runs about the same as it did with the Wine version of the Mac client under Mojave -- in other words, similar performance.

    Crossover is free to try out for 14 days. So if you really want to run LotRO on Catalina, you can download it, update to Catalina and run the Windows installer through Crossover. (I would recommend cloning your boot volume to another volume, perhaps an external USB SSD, and trying it from there, so if it doesn't work, nothing is lost but a little bit of time.) If it works well, you can buy it when the 14 days are up (and feel good about supporting some of the good guys/gals in the business who are helping our Macs run a lot of otherwise inaccessible software titles), or just have the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing it can be done, and stick with Mojave for the time being until and unless a "free" solution emerges before Mojave stops getting security updates.


    Excellent that's a great reply. As a matter of fact i do have crossover 19 with the newest update from codeweavers. Would you be so kind ziggy29 to give me a quick instruction on bottle OS and components I can use to run it? I ve made it in both ddo and lotro having a working laucnher but when it comes to play only to crash at launch and thought it was a problem with the bink video of the first run. So please PM me or post me crossover setting for the bottle. Do i use xp to avoid dx10 and decline the high res graphics? Do i use directx for modern or older games? Do I use any redistributables ? let me know cause i miss my hunter.

  8. #8
    Need help here. Thank you ziggy29. I can play the game now.

    But only after hitting a lot of cancel. I meet with this:

    “6816bbb4a19f1db7739d0bb0d2c 937893cb3ced2.asset” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.

    macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.

    an unknown application created this file on an unknown date.

    Sorry I don't have an image. A lot of this. About 30-40? It let me move it to trash or cancel. I have to click cancel because the system won't let me move it to trash. It's all in the folder /System/Library/AssetsV2/com_apple_MobileAsset_Font6

    It seems it is a folder by apple.

    After I clicked all of them, I can play the game.

    I can work around it by allowing the machine to install app from anywhere, but that seems insecure. Is there another way to work around it? Thank you!

    Edit: At first I also meet with a black screen, but after some struggling I somehow was able make it in windowed mode and see the confirmation boxes. So maybe some of you who meet with a black screen are having similar problems. Just a guess.

    Edit2: All the .asset are folders, so “open anyway” doesn’t seem to work.
    Last edited by LightGatherer; Jan 19 2020 at 09:56 PM.
    Desmurryl of Bree-lands, Lvl 130 Champion, Landroval | Duirregwen of Mirkwood, Lvl 66 Rune-keeper, Landroval

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by retroera View Post
    Excellent that's a great reply. As a matter of fact i do have crossover 19 with the newest update from codeweavers. Would you be so kind ziggy29 to give me a quick instruction on bottle OS and components I can use to run it? I ve made it in both ddo and lotro having a working laucnher but when it comes to play only to crash at launch and thought it was a problem with the bink video of the first run. So please PM me or post me crossover setting for the bottle. Do i use xp to avoid dx10 and decline the high res graphics? Do i use directx for modern or older games? Do I use any redistributables ? let me know cause i miss my hunter.
    I wish I knew more. Apart from my DX10 issue (breaking it when I said 'yes' to it), I selected a Windows 10 bottle and otherwise took the defaults. I don't know why it's working great for me and not for others.

  10. #10

    Success

    Ty ziggy i did run it with win10 x64 bottle and then switched back to win7.

    My Main Problem was not running the first run of the game... My solution was downgrade the resolution to 1280x720 which fixed the first launch problem and then I changed all my settings to desired dx9 resolution/g options etc. So again thank you ... posting here to say that wine5 does work with lotro under codeweavers 19 BUT this is not an advertise. Will soon test DDO ..... https://ibb.co/C6s4c3M Feast your minds eyes and hearts on this screenshot and prompt SSG to work their mac clients to wine 5. Also have fun

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by retroera View Post
    Ty ziggy i did run it with win10 x64 bottle and then switched back to win7.

    My Main Problem was not running the first run of the game... My solution was downgrade the resolution to 1280x720 which fixed the first launch problem and then I changed all my settings to desired dx9 resolution/g options etc. So again thank you ... posting here to say that wine5 does work with lotro under codeweavers 19 BUT this is not an advertise. Will soon test DDO ..... https://ibb.co/C6s4c3M Feast your minds eyes and hearts on this screenshot and prompt SSG to work their mac clients to wine 5. Also have fun
    Given you've got it working. It may be beneficial for you to post your UserPrefrences.ini(clear out your user name) so others can take it and put it in place. I swapped my config from my Mojave computer to my work's Catalina folder and finally got it to load. (Also had to tell it to load the 32bit client, not the 64)

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by tanlis View Post
    Given you've got it working. It may be beneficial for you to post your UserPrefrences.ini(clear out your user name) so others can take it and put it in place. I swapped my config from my Mojave computer to my work's Catalina folder and finally got it to load. (Also had to tell it to load the 32bit client, not the 64)
    Basically I had the same idea prior to my solving the first run crash to desktop. Try lowering your resolution on the mac to 720p non retina Then launch the game and adjust it from in there. Once you quit your preferences will be there.

    Here are the graphical bits of the .ini that will serve you no good though...

    Display]
    AllowDesktopCompositing=True
    AllowFakeFullScreen=True
    AllowWindowResizing=True
    Antialiasing=Disabled
    ConfineFullScreenMouseCursor=T rue
    FixedOutputScaling=Default
    ForceFakeFullScreen=False
    FullScreen=False
    RefreshRate=Auto
    Resolution=2880x1620
    ScreenMode=Windowed
    SyncToRefresh=False
    TripleBuffering=False
    WindowedResolution=2880x1620

    [Graphics]
    AvatarTextureCompositing=True
    AvatarUpdateVisible=True
    PVMPPerformanceOverride=True

    I hope this helps but the solution is far simpler, just adjust your mac resolution as i said before ( you could use easyres on apple store for free )

    Remember if you just use a backup of the game and not going with the installer add components visual c 2005+ vc 2010 +also dx for modern games. If you run a full clean reinstall this is not neccesery

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by retroera View Post
    Basically I had the same idea prior to my solving the first run crash to desktop. Try lowering your resolution on the mac to 720p non retina Then launch the game and adjust it from in there. Once you quit your preferences will be there.
    I got this working yesterday on my iMac with this method. The trick was to lower the screen resolution with the EasyRes tool (to 720p), then get the ini file generated properly, which then produced the black screen. Then edit the ini file to use ScreenMode=Windowed, then another restart, then it was working. Once in the game - you can set your screen res back to whatever...

    Thanks all for the tips.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    87
    All I see here is a big FU to Mac users. Catalina has been out for almost 6 months, now. SSG seems to not give 2 f*cks about Mac users. It's a pisser.

  15. #15

    Support message

    Hi guys. I tried to download LOTR online again after years and thanks steam I saw that is impossible to play on MacOS Catalina.
    I tried to download on LOTR online website directly but still the same problem (obviously, but I tried).
    I sent a message to the LOTR online support and this was the answer:
    Hi Nicola,

    Thanks for your inquiry.

    Unfortunately, we do not offer support on Mac anymore and we will not be able to troubleshoot this issue. I recommend you visit these forums:

    https://www.lotro.com/forums/forumdi...hnical-Support
    Mac Technical Support - The Lord of the Rings Online
    Forum: Mac Technical Support If you have a technical support question related to the Mac client this is the place for it!
    www.lotro.com


    Thank you for your understanding and have a great rest of the day.

    Kind regards,
    Customer Support
    Standing Stone Games

    Can I find a way to install the client and play on macOS Catalina, without using a Windows bootcamp please?
    Thanks,
    Nick

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Calblack View Post
    All I see here is a big FU to Mac users. Catalina has been out for almost 6 months, now. SSG seems to not give 2 f*cks about Mac users. It's a pisser.
    Hi! Did you find a way to play the game?
    Thanks,
    Nick

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload