We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: New graphics

New graphics

I know it is hard to make good graphics for a game with such a huge world and I really love lotro, but for a game released 2012, they should really have much better graphics. Not only ingame, but also loading screens and stuff. It looks more like a 2006 game then 2012.

I still love lotro

I love the graphics the way they are.

/e dodges banana peels and ripe tomatoes

The look of LotRO is not like a photogrph; it's like a painting from a master artist.

(Several of them, actually.)

Particularly the clouds on the horizons of Rohan at evening, with the stars of Elbereth peering through.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by Argorond View Post
    I know it is hard to make good graphics for a game with such a huge world and I really love lotro, but for a game released 2012, they should really have much better graphics. Not only ingame, but also loading screens and stuff. It looks more like a 2006 game then 2012.

I still love lotro
    I think lotro Graphics are great in my opinion for being 12 years old. And not sure what you mean by released 2012? lotro was released in 2007 as Shadows of Angmar when it first came out, not 2012.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    The look of LotRO is not like a photogrph; it's like a painting from a master artist.
    I've tried explaining this to friends and they don't seem to get it. I think there are definitely parts of LOTRO where the devs tried to use very photorealistic textures, but the more "painted" looking parts of the game always look better imo. They should try to stick to that feel.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I still love lotro
    As said above, the reason the game looks like a 2006 game is because it pretty much is a 2006 game. Released in 2007, developed for several years before then. Looks pretty good in my opinion.

I still love lotro
    lotro released in April of 2007, not in 2012!
    add some years of developing before that, so our graphics are somewhat from 2004 or earlier!
    which makes our graphics really really good for a game that old!
    ofc there r things that need fixes n changes n the team is doing this!
    since i see you r in the forums from late 2013 you must remember the revamping of so many places with the most recent the area of archet, compe and the forrests.......
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

In addition to the above posts, I really do not want to have to upgrade my comp for a 12 year old game. A brand spanking new game released in 2019 I can see having to upgrade, but not for one released in 2007.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    In addition to the above posts, I really do not want to have to upgrade my comp for a 12 year old game. A brand spanking new game released in 2019 I can see having to upgrade, but not for one released in 2007.
    That's why we have graphics options.

Quote Originally Posted by LotroVidz View Post
    That's why we have graphics options.
    Oh yeah, as long as the options are there, I have nothing against the suggestion.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Love the graphics the way they are; wouldn't want them to change. I can understand why some people would want them to, but I am really happy with them the way they are. If I want to play The Witcher or the Elder Scrolls, I will - this game looks just great to me.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

While I'll agree in the general trend of not wanting to change graphics of current zones, I think there -will- be regions of Middle-earth that -will- need new graphics as the game-world expands.

Take Guild Wars 2 as an example; the earlier zones in Kryta are very WoW-esque graphics-wise, and LOTRO's Eriador easily beats it in my opinion. The Kryta graphics in GW2 are too cartoony.

But- when GW2 reached Crystal Desert, that region got a ton of new graphics. I could not believe it: The sand -actually- looked more like -real sand- than a drab paint-job of non-descript mud. When I compare, say, Evendim's Barandalf and Crystal Desert's sands, I tend to prefer the latter because sand has many tiny little grains and isn't just a pale overlay.

BUT- with the Brandywine River nearby, I think the less particular sands of the Barandalf make sense for that region and what its portraying.

Now, with Harad especially, I think LOTRO should take its cues from GW2- with graphics options. I really don't want Harad to feel like a lower-graphics Crystal Desert. I think the Dev's should really invest in a more thorough, detailed texture for the sands of Harad. I think the same should go for rock formations. Iron Hills, I get it, we're farther north, etc. But I'd like more details on rock formations and sand the further southward the game goes. So many of the rocks look too rounded and smooth with a couple sharp edges, for example, and shadows don't interact well with all of them. It would be nice to see rock formations that don't look like globs of piled ice cream painted like rocks- sharper, more jagged, etc.

So, again, I think there should be graphics options in play here since its an older game. But I also think that... they are just going to need to make new graphics when we get to those "jungles and deserts" referred to in one of the North Ithilien quests. It shouldn't look like a giant Barandalf with re-painted Fangorn trees. It should look unique- and really give the impression: "I don't think we're in Rohan anymore." Rhun, I think, is in the same category as Harad. Details. Details. Details. I love LOTRO's current zones: the grasses, the trees, the sky, the atmosphere- it's all very well done. But a time will come when something new will be in order as the more temperate zones are left behind...
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantion View Post
    So, again, I think there should be graphics options in play here since its an older game. But I also think that... they are just going to need to make new graphics when we get to those "jungles and deserts" referred to in one of the North Ithilien quests. It shouldn't look like a giant Barandalf with re-painted Fangorn trees. It should look unique- and really give the impression: "I don't think we're in Rohan anymore." Rhun, I think, is in the same category as Harad. Details. Details. Details. I love LOTRO's current zones: the grasses, the trees, the sky, the atmosphere- it's all very well done. But a time will come when something new will be in order as the more temperate zones are left behind...
    EXACTLY. I THINK THAT'S PRETTY IMPORTANT AND AGREE 100%.

Mordor is dark and desolate. I think they managed to capture the atmoshere of the place, with the current graphical state. Mountain formation details weren't that important + LOTRO tends to look much better in darker places such as Mordor IMO, even with supersampling transparency off (less light = less distractive details, + there is no grass in Mordor). The North is OK and it brought to the table some new assets, I think (rocks, trees, water, vegetation graphical improvements etc - the new look is pretty amazing). Some of the rock formations/architecture are REALLY distracting to the eyes and lighting effects don't work as they should (around Erebor and Iron Hills, with lots of weird, annoying flickering that makes it look horrible from a distance) but generally, as you say, this is an extension of the older lotro temperate zones, so can't complain.

But with new climate zones we really need some graphical improvements/overhauls here, especially desert climate. Not just improvements of the old but new graphical assets - and don't stop at vegetation, rock formations... because I can't imagine those regions without brand new architecture assets and completely new mobs/mob voice acting... Rhun, Umbar, Harondor, Harad, Khand but ESPECIALLY Harad. I understand LOTRO has limited resources and reusing assets helps reduce the size of the game but... I really don't want to see "desert version" of avanc, spider, regular orc, gredbyg, salamander, drakes etc... I mean, sure, it can be done and should be - gredbyg, various insects, salamanders in particular, would look pretty cool and they are perfect for a desert - but we also NEED completely new mob models/animations and experimentation here. A lot of it, actually. Not just one new model/one new animation. There is unlimited potential with those new unexplored lands, not to mention Harad wouldn't be Harad without all kinds of unique snakes... and surely they can't just resize bore pet snakes and call it a day... Also, for Harad we have deserts and jungles - two vegetation layers, so they can shine with their own *unique* assets and mobs (rather than "desert" version and "jungle" version for each new model).

So yeah, I don't really need that many graphical improvements for older regions and LOTRO looks REAL nice with SweetFX, Reshade and similar external tools. Different presets can make LOTRO look completely different. I prefer the more "cartoony" fantasy look LOTRO always excelled in but I saw Reshade presets that make it look completely different, closer to other fantasy games and in some aspects Skyrim. But we DEFINITELY NEED *some serious overhauls and new models* THE FURTHER WE MOVE EAST/SOUTH. This is crucial. Otherwise Rhun, Harad, all of it... will be just meeeh from a visual standpoint and it won't feel special.
    Last edited by TesalionLortus; Sep 12 2019 at 08:44 PM.