We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Ray tracing in Lotro

Would it ever be possible to get ray tracing in Lotro?
    Just saw the old quake got it lol : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vY0W3MkZFs4

Minecraft is getting it as well.

With the age of LOTRO's graphics engine, I would bet on the side of 'no'
    Elquasso - HNT | Hendunaron - LM | Laurealasso - GRD | Malenthir - HNT | Threk - RK | Tassels - CHM (all on CRICKHOLLOW)
    Farty - GRD | Elquasso - HNT | Hutch - RK | Ripadoo - HNT | Quacky - CHM | Stairlift - MNS | Weirdus - LM | Bullitt - HNT (all on ANOR)

Quote Originally Posted by Elquasso View Post
    With the age of LOTRO's graphics engine, I would bet on the side of 'no'
    Quake 2 was released in 1997, and Lotro was released in 2007. Since then Lotro has been updated with DX10, and DX11

Ray tracing would make the game look so beautiful.

Not sure it would make sense, cost wise. Possible? Sure, anything is possible but I have the feeling most wouldn't use it, or have the capability to use it GPU wise. It does have a pretty huge FPS hit in every game it's been implemented in. The reason all these old games like Quake and Minecraft are using it is because the FPS hit isn't such a big deal when you have minimal or simplistic graphics to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by danno8 View Post
    Not sure it would make sense, cost wise. Possible? Sure, anything is possible but I have the feeling most wouldn't use it, or have the capability to use it GPU wise. It does have a pretty huge FPS hit in every game it's been implemented in. The reason all these old games like Quake and Minecraft are using it is because the FPS hit isn't such a big deal when you have minimal or simplistic graphics to begin with.
    ReShade has an upcoming "raytracing" option. It might be an option, but for sure, better to have the engine do it native.

Quote Originally Posted by LotroVidz View Post
    Would it ever be possible to get ray tracing in Lotro?
    Just saw the old quake got it lol : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vY0W3MkZFs4

Minecraft is getting it as well.

I'm wondering what type of financial and technical hurdles there would be. Personally, I would not mind having it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by AllstarChampion View Post
    ReShade has an upcoming "raytracing" option. It might be an option, but for sure, better to have the engine do it native.
    Won't work since Reshade has all online multiplayer games blacklisted for depth buffer access, which Reshade needs to implement its version of ray tracing.