We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Which skill line to use as a Minstrel

I know this is a broad question, but I would like opinions on which color skill line would be best for both solo and group play. I enjoy group play the most but I do not want to be weak when I have to solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasus View Post
    I know this is a broad question, but I would like opinions on which color skill line would be best for both solo and group play. I enjoy group play the most but I do not want to be weak when I have to solo.
    Yes your question is a broad one. Perhaps too much so, without writing a dissertation on the subject.

Each trait line is specific in use and depending on your level, limits each of those.

I suggest you empower yourself by reading up on the Minstrel Class. Then you can choose with specificity, what it is you'd like to know, if you haven't already learned by reading this.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Minstrel
    Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza" Sapienza University of Rome

Graduate PhD con lode Scienze della Politica

I exclusively solo with my minstrel and do very well in red line, which is the dps line. Red has single target as well as aoe skills. You also have some fun and useful skills like Song of Distraction, which enable you to sneak by mobs.

Most groups will want you to heal which would be blue line. It's been a few years since I worked as a healer, so hopefully a healing mini will chime in here.

Be aware that in addition to the three trait lines, you also have 3 stances. These are toggle skills which you can use in any trait line. Dissonance stance is for dps, Resonance is for healing, and Melody stance lets you do a mix of some healing and some dpsing So be sure to take a look at how the stances work with your trait lines.

Most of all, enjoy yourself!

Also remember that you can set up two trait-trees for free. Make a red for solo and a blue for group.

You don't have to stick to one single skill line/tree, you can mix the trees, so you could have a mixed red/yellow tree or a mixed yellow/blue tree, etc. Mixing trees costs more trait points because picking traits outside your primary tree costs 2 points instead of 1.

Red tree is the main damage/dps tree.
    Yellow tree is a group buffing tree with moderate dps and healing.
    Blue tree is the main healing tree.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

Hi.

I'm a new Minstrel and I have couple of questions too. Sorry for using this post but for some reason I can not create my own. Anyways, at the moment I'm lvl 17 and using red line for solo dps.

1) Would be nice to know what skill rotation others use. My dps seems a bit low, I'm starting with 3 ballads to build up for Coda, then using Cry. At this time the mob has reached me and I use that melee attack. After that restart rotation. How should I do?

2) As mentioned before I am lvl 17, still using my starter instrument. When do you get a new one? Is it possible to buy or craft, in that case what vocation should I pick?

3) Last, a follow-up question to my second... Are your skills damage based on your weapon dps or your instrument? I mean, when using ballads etc your character has the instrument equiped, so those skills depend on what stats the instrument gives? In my case nothing since I have a level 1 still

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperstep View Post
    Hi.

I'm a new Minstrel and I have couple of questions too. Sorry for using this post but for some reason I can not create my own. Anyways, at the moment I'm lvl 17 and using red line for solo dps.

1) Would be nice to know what skill rotation others use. My dps seems a bit low, I'm starting with 3 ballads to build up for Coda, then using Cry. At this time the mob has reached me and I use that melee attack. After that restart rotation. How should I do?

2) As mentioned before I am lvl 17, still using my starter instrument. When do you get a new one? Is it possible to buy or craft, in that case what vocation should I pick?

3) Last, a follow-up question to my second... Are your skills damage based on your weapon dps or your instrument? I mean, when using ballads etc your character has the instrument equiped, so those skills depend on what stats the instrument gives? In my case nothing since I have a level 1 still
    At that level, your rotation sounds fine to me. Others may chime in. You will have your starter instrument until level 20, if I am remembering correctly. You should have gotten much better off-hand weapons by now. If I am correct, your main skills tie to your instrument.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Mini instruments.

Let's start by saying that LOTRO is 12+ years old and the senior management that decides how the game works has changed several times over the years. Because of this, some "systems" within the game change how they work, based on when the game management changed and what point the game was at when the management change happened. The crafting system is one of those in-game systems that has a very distinct change to how it works part way through the game.

From player level 20 up to player level 60, crafted minstrel instruments follow the same pattern. Some types of instruments are better for damage, other types of instruments are better for healing. If you want more damage, only some instruments have damage bonuses. If your want more healing, other instruments have healing bonuses.

After level 60, the crafting system had some major changes happen. From level 70 onwards, every instrument recipe has multiple output options, meaning if you want an instrument for damage, ANY instrument can be optimised for damage when it is crafted, and if you want another instrument for healing, ANY instrument can be optimised for healing when it is crafted. As an example, before level 70, if you want a good healing instrument, a clarinet is a good option because it has bonuses for healing, and only for healing. Before level 70 there are no clarinets that have bonuses for damage. After level 70, there are FIVE different craftable versions of the clarinet, so you could have one clarinet with bonuses for damage, another clarinet with bonuses for healing, etc.

You CANNOT change the bonuses of the instrument after it has been made, you MUST pick which bonuses you want the instrument to have WHEN the instrument is being made, and you can only choose from the pre-set output options of the recipe, you cannot select your own customised set of bonuses.

As a general recommendation, before you reach level 70 I'd recommend either a cowbell or a drum for improving your damage, and a clarinet for improving your healing. From level 70 onwards, pick any instrument you want, just make sure you choose one with the bonuses you want (damage, healing, whatever).

With that out of the way, which improves your damage skills more, your instrument or your equipped weapon? The answer is, YOUR WEAPON. An instrument with the right bonuses can increase your damage, but depending on the exact bonuses the instrument will only increase the damage of SOME of your skills. The dps rating of your weapon will increase the damage of EVERY SKILL you have that does damage, and the weapon can give a bigger bonus to your damage than an instrument.

I have a level 120 minstrel, I just did a quick test of unequipping both his weapon and instrument, then checking the damage values for various skills, then equipping just the instrument and checking the same skills, then just with the weapon, then with both the instrument and the weapon. Every damage skill was approx. FIVE TIMES more powerful with just the weapon equipped than with no weapon. With just the instrument equipped, only SOME of the damage skills were improved but at a FAR LOWER LEVEL compared to the weapon.

Upgrade your weapon first, it will improve your skill damage MUCH MORE than your instrument.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)