We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

3mans and the tank shortage

In a 6man instance 1/6 of the players need to be tanks. In a 3man it's double, 1/3. Our population here on Arkenstone does not have enough tanks to support 3mans. The net result is many players wanting to run Glimmerdeep/Caverns now that they drop gold items are alting on the last boss of glimmerdeep. I think there is a simple solution which will also help when the next instance cluster drops. We have lots of champs. Champ has a tank line. Make it decent, and we will have lots of 3man capable tanks. I'm not asking for champ tank to be equal to guard/cpt, but the current gap is huge and there is plenty of room to improve champ tanks and not infringe on captains or guards for main tank roles. After the rk update, the class(es) to update should be one of the underwhelming tank classes ( warden, champ, beorn ).

Quote Originally Posted by flirtswithmediocrity View Post
    In a 6man instance 1/6 of the players need to be tanks. In a 3man it's double, 1/3. Our population here on Arkenstone does not have enough tanks to support 3mans. The net result is many players wanting to run Glimmerdeep/Caverns now that they drop gold items are alting on the last boss of glimmerdeep. I think there is a simple solution which will also help when the next instance cluster drops. We have lots of champs. Champ has a tank line. Make it decent, and we will have lots of 3man capable tanks. I'm not asking for champ tank to be equal to guard/cpt, but the current gap is huge and there is plenty of room to improve champ tanks and not infringe on captains or guards for main tank roles. After the rk update, the class(es) to update should be one of the underwhelming tank classes ( warden, champ, beorn ).
    Good idea. There are never enough tanks, especially with locks on instances/timers so when they are around, they’ve probably already run the instance you want that day/week.

Champ blue line is never used, so it makes sense to revamp it.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

You don't need tank to complete the 3-man
    Its easier yes, but its perfectly fine without (And even without kiting the boss which i guess almost everyone does)

Champ can also tank this in its current (sorry) state of a tank-line

Almost all group setups should work fine here
    Commander Emaldiom [EN] Evernight - Morale-Smasher - Lotro
    MrMidget - [EuW] League of Legends
    MrMidget2 - [EuW] League of Legends

State of threemen instances. 2/3 are dps theast position is heal or tank.
    Two dps and heal works fine especially one if the dps is warden or champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    State of threemen instances. 2/3 are dps theast position is heal or tank.
    Two dps and heal works fine especially one if the dps is warden or champ.
    I reckon a yellow bear could also be combined tank/healer especially if biting edge force taunt is traited. Between that and the standard bear taunt a bear should be able to keep the boss. We all know yellow/blue cappy works nicely too - actually, my favourite FS for glimmer is yellow/blue captain, fire RK and yellow/red LM. Yellow/red burg also works a treat in there with any tank (guard/capt/ward/chank).
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

We did it with champion, mini and rk (champion and rk dps)

rk just watches the aoe in the beginning to not pull from the champ's aoe and champ uses his ST taunt on top of that, and a mini can heal basically anything easily in the current instances.

CaerArianrhod is offline Rohirrim Scout
    Guardian of Erebrandir's Horseshoe's Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by flirtswithmediocrity View Post
    [...] In a 3man it's double, 1/3. Our population here on Arkenstone does not have enough tanks to support 3mans. The net result is many players wanting to run [...]/Caverns
    Caverns of Thrumfall is still one of the worst example of utterly bad instance design and demonstrate the incapability of the SSG team to understand the game which they actually developing (or better to say: which they should develop).

This is the instance where a tank is only needed for the trash-mobs but not for the end-boss fight.

And this is the instance where i would like to close the chief executive producer, the community manager and the instance designer into a room to play a burglar, a champion and a captain and only let them out from that room when they successfully finished the instance on T5.

The problem isn't a shortage of tanks on Arkenstone. The problem is that tanks are abused. They have one of the most difficult roles, yet they get yelled at and blamed rather than taught. When the new content comes out and the locks or favored completions aren't used up there is no "shortage" and everyone is self absorbed and no patience. Then when the alleged "shortage" becomes apparent, people assume everyone knows all aspects of the mechanics and they don't have the patience to teach the mechanics to players who havn't had a chance to do the content and learn the mechanics. Imagine a T2 anvil raid group 11/12 needing a tank, there are tanks available and geared with everything except the raid gear. Will this group welcome this tank and teach them the mechanic ? Will that person even volunteer to go knowing how they have been treated in the past ? How often do you see "11/12 need tank, will teach mechanics" in chat ?

Quote Originally Posted by MithrielWielder View Post
    The problem isn't a shortage of tanks on Arkenstone. The problem is that tanks are abused.
    That's rather nasty. One option some of us have is to learn instances on non-tank alts, and then do them on the tank. I was able to go into Anvil t2 yesterday on my guardian for the first time and do a full clear, but only because I've run through it many times on RK, captain, burglar and hunter. You're a bit SOL if all you have is a tank, and it sounds like the culture of that server needs serious re-evaluation.

TL;DR - Tanks need to learn fight mechanics as much as everyone else does, especially when to activate their long-CD skills (Juggernaut, Challenge, Last Stand etc etc).
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    I reckon a yellow bear could also be combined tank/healer especially if biting edge force taunt is traited. Between that and the standard bear taunt a bear should be able to keep the boss. We all know yellow/blue cappy works nicely too - actually, my favourite FS for glimmer is yellow/blue captain, fire RK and yellow/red LM. Yellow/red burg also works a treat in there with any tank (guard/capt/ward/chank).
    Why not yellow/red cappy instead ? No need for blue traits when LM is there and red banner/telling mark/time of need etc are very nice boost to the dps.
    Captain-General Narthrivor r15 Hunter - r12 Warden - r12 Champion - r7 Captain - r6 Guardian - Phoenix Legion and Innocent raid alliance - Laurelin EN-RP

Quote Originally Posted by RicoFTW View Post
    Why not yellow/red cappy instead ? No need for blue traits when LM is there and red banner/telling mark/time of need etc are very nice boost to the dps.
    Sure, if you have an LM handy. Yellow-blue allows 2 DPS and double Rez - not as fast maybe but safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    That's rather nasty. One option some of us have is to learn instances on non-tank alts, and then do them on the tank. I was able to go into Anvil t2 yesterday on my guardian for the first time and do a full clear, but only because I've run through it many times on RK, captain, burglar and hunter. You're a bit SOL if all you have is a tank, and it sounds like the culture of that server needs serious re-evaluation.

TL;DR - Tanks need to learn fight mechanics as much as everyone else does, especially when to activate their long-CD skills (Juggernaut, Challenge, Last Stand etc etc).
    Wouldn't say they need to learn the fight mechanics as much as everyone else does. They need to know them better and all of them.
    E. G. Adds pawn timing a dpser can let himself be surprised, ta k should have one aoe skill free to catch them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    Wouldn't say they need to learn the fight mechanics as much as everyone else does. They need to know them better and all of them.
    E. G. Adds pawn timing a dpser can let himself be surprised, ta k should have one aoe skill free to catch them.
    Being so pivotal brings added pressure for sure. It's easier with friends that will back you up but answering that 11/12 pug call is a setup for grief. You wipe a kin group and everyone laughs, the pug and you're opened to be kicked. If you can get experience in the first few days maybe you can learn enough but if others are dumping keys you may come late or under-geared to the game. Soon it's experience and geared on all the pug call outs.

But it's the two sets of gear I need to do both the solo and group roles justice that has done if for me. The Ember squeeze is too much. I stopped using Black Steel Keys when they became store only. You snooze, you loose. So be it.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them under a spot light