We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

[Character Creation] Better Organization of Race Selection Menu

With the Stout-axes coming soon, the selection of playable Races is starting to pile up just a bit, and I think it's time for some minor reorganization of that menu in character creation. What I want is to condense each new option back into one of the original four main races: Elves, Men, Dwarves, or Hobbits (even though there are no extra Hobbit races as of now), so the new menu would look something like this, with each racial category expanding into a dropdown menu when clicked:

ELF
    > Elf
    > High Elf

MAN
    > Man
    > Beorning

DWARF
    > Longbeard (renamed from just "Dwarf")
    > Stout-axe

HOBBIT
    > Hobbit

NPCs shouldn't usually (except maybe on rare occasion) address you by your specific playable race, and should default instead to the one of the four main racial categories. So as an example, the hypothetical NPC would say, "You're very handsome for a Dwarf," instead of "You're very handsome for Stout-axe," or "You're very handsome for a Longbeard."
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I agree they could have done a better job with how NPCs address characters. For example a high elf is often called "high elf" by strangers - how the heck do they know how old he or she is? But SSG will not and should not spend the time to change thousands of NPC interactions - we might as well live with it. Many NPCs are simply coded to refer to the official name of the race whether that makes sense or not.

I prefer being able to see every playable race without having to navigate menus and submenus - sorry but I cannot agree with that suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    I prefer being able to see every playable race without having to navigate menus and submenus - sorry but I cannot agree with that suggestion.
    I can understand that even if I'd prefer it my way; my goal was to make it so the "seven" races are presented more clearly as subgroups of the main four, similarly to how you can pick origin locations (Rohan, Lothlorien, etc) only after you pick a race; they aren't presented as being something other.

At the very least I'd like it rearranged so that similar races are grouped near each other. Right now the order goes like this:

>Man
    >High Elf
    >Dwarf
    >Hobbit
    >Elf
    >Beorning

But when Stout-axes are introduced I'd prefer something like:

>Elf
    >High Elf
    >Man
    >Beorning
    >Dwarf (Longbeard)
    >Stout-axe
    >Hobbit

Alternatively, they could have the "main four" on top and their "spin-off" races below in the same order, like:

>Elf
    >Man
    >Dwarf (Longbeard)
    >Hobbit
    >High Elf
    >Beorning
    >Stout-axe
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This stuff is purely subjective and personal whims. The menu is fine as it is.

This is a rare case where I'd say I'm sure there's better things to spend dev time and resources on.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelir View Post
    This stuff is purely subjective and personal whims. The menu is fine as it is.

This is a rare case where I'd say I'm sure there's better things to spend dev time and resources on.
    I admit my OP suggestion might be asking for a bit much (note: I'd still like it), but I don't see it being much work just to reorder the race options. It's not a subject I'm knowledgeable on so I could easily be wrong, but for now I'll assume I'm not.

Does it not bother you that there's no discernible organization behind the current order?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~