We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Name changed and ripped off by Standing Stone!

I've been a Lotro player since early beta and formed most of my characters before beta went live. In the last few years I had to take somewhat of a hiatus from playing as my real life was very demanding. My good wife of 25 years was going in and out of hospitals and nursing homes and having one medical problem after another and I just did not have the time to play. I did however login often enough to keep my house and belongings that I had collected over the years but the character I always logged in on to update my housing maintenance was one of my characters on the first page or second page of my list of characters so I never noticed that I was being screwed over by Standing Stone until just recently when I logged in to update my characters and once again start playing the game. (my wife passed last september and I've finally gotten most of the loose ends tied up that you run into when that happens, especially at my age of 67. Anyway I had created character named Whisper who is my hobbit burglar and I created her during beta. So you can imagine my shock and disbelief that I find Standing Stone gave her name to someone else and renamed my character Whisper-2! I am a lifetime scripted player! I have been with this game all this time and while I'm dealing with real life situations I get f'd by Standing Stone! I am not a person who would ever have a number as part of a character name. If a name wasn't available at creation I simply chose something else not adding a number to it! I think it's just unfitting for me and it spoils the feel of the game for me. Anyway I've been trying to get my character's name back and they just keep saying that during the server swaps they gave my character's name away because I wasn't active enough??? I feel this is so totally unfair and wrong and am looking for other players support and any devs reading this. Give Whisper-2 to whoever the the player they gave my character's name to and give me my character's original name back! I have never abandoned the game I just had to deal with RL. This is totally unfair and I think that since I had the name from early beta that I should be able to retain that name and that it should be reinstated. Does anyone else agree with me? Not sure how to add a poll and I don't see an option to do that but I'd be real curious to know if other people feel it is as unjust as I do??
    Alendree Angor Chasm Canaloco Fatalblade Krackerbox Valorin Whisper
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.
    from "Fern Hill" by Dylan Thomas

Wow, I'm so sorry for what you've been through the last few years.

What they mean is that when they combined servers, there were characters with the same name that now had to live on the same server. When that happened, one of the two characters got a number. Your Whisper got the number. But it's not that they gave your name away to someone else just because you were inactive. Someone else chose that name independently on another server that got merged with yours.

You should have gotten a free rename token so that you're not stuck with "-2" at the end of your name. Maybe there's a name similar to "Whisper" available. I've never been able to get a name I want with the correct spelling. The closest I got was my Hobbit burglar, who I was going to name Wensleydale. That name was available on Crickhollow until I few weeks before I tried to use it, so I had to drop one of the "e"s. Grr. At least the character with my properly-spelled name is still active.

I know it sucks to lose the name of a much-loved character.
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Victory's Secret: Ardith Exhibitionaire (Woman Captain)
    Feel the Breeze! Naked Aventuring: http://www.lotro.com/forums/showthre...endary-servers

I'm sorry for your loss. I get it, you were in a bad situation and your wife was your number one priority and you probably didn't pay any attention to any emails or notices back in 2015 when the server merges were being discussed.

That said, for every one situation like yours, there's a dozen where the characters been abandoned and shouldn't have priority on keeping a name. I think the rule going in was Characters that hadn't been played in over a year lost their right to the name and the active player got it. Whoever transferred to your server has had the name for the last 4 years on your server and who knows how long prior to that on his now closed server. He's got the name now and I don't think SSG's going to change it back.

Maybe if you contact him in game, explain the situation, something can be worked out, you might have to pay for his name change, but he might understand and do it.

I lost my name too when the server merges hit. You just pick a new one and move on.

It's a shame they'd even give the name to them regardless of how active you are seeing as you've supported the game since Beta.
    Ethrimund, Dispeller of Ill Omens
    Exalted Kingdom
    2 Long Street, Caldham, Bree-Land Homesteads
    Crickhollow

Quote Originally Posted by RustyCuyler24 View Post
    It's a shame they'd even give the name to them regardless of how active you are seeing as you've supported the game since Beta.
    That is exactly my point! They should have given the number to the guy moving onto the server especially since I've been in the game since beta and I was first on the server to choose the name!
    There's no way it is right to change my character's name to accommodate someone else moving onto the server?

Btw I appreciate all of your responses, and Echoweaver I don't really want another name besides Whisper, she's level 83 but I'm thinking of deleting her if they don't change her name back. It is the perfect name for a
    hobbit burglar. (Which was why I picked it ) I don't feel I did anything to deserve this. I have been loyal to this game for so long! But I'm quickly losing my appreciation for Standing Stone. It's too bad it didn't stay with Turbine.
    Last edited by beepa; Aug 12 2019 at 06:54 PM.
    Alendree Angor Chasm Canaloco Fatalblade Krackerbox Valorin Whisper
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.
    from "Fern Hill" by Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by beepa View Post
    That is exactly my point! They should have given the number to the guy moving onto the server especially since I've been in the game since beta and I was first on the server to choose the name!
    There's no way it is right to change my character's name to accommodate someone else moving onto the server?

Btw I appreciate all of your responses, and Echoweaver I don't really want another name besides Whisper, she's level 83 but I'm thinking of deleting her if they don't change her name back. It is the perfect name for a
    hobbit burglar. (Which was why I picked it ) I don't feel I did anything to deserve this. I have been loyal to this game for so long! But I'm quickly losing my appreciation for Standing Stone. It's too bad it didn't stay with Turbine.
    The server consolidation happened four years ago, with Turbine (long before Standing Stone).

I understand how special your character's name is to you (I am deeply attached to my own character names), but you have to understand that Whisper is a very common name, and every server likely had a Whisper on it. When the servers consolidated, Whispers from at least three servers (someone else may have become Whisper-3 or Whisper-4) ended up on the server you're on. Every one of those Whispers may have belonged to a loyal, passionate, long-time player just the same as you. It was an unfortunate situation. They sent out e-mails and created guides about it for months before the server consolidation happened, to help people understand what would happen with names, and how you can best make certain that you keep yours.

Your character still likely has a free rename option (or you could put in a ticket for one, if you have problems with that). I understand that you only want Whisper as your name, but what if you made Whisper your last name?

No one personally changed your name, it was an automated process. We were very well informed about it, and there wasn't really any more they could have done at the time to handle it better. Some people always end up feeling screwed in server merges. I personally was lucky enough that my own names are so unique that no one else took them, but with 29 servers becoming 10 servers, that meant for common names like Meadow or Thor or Whisper, 10 characters got to keep their name and 19 characters got a -1 or -2 behind their name.

I understand that you were very busy and in no place to worry about a video game at that time, to make sure you were "active" (characters had to have been logged in within the last year before server consolidation to be considered active, and active characters got preference over inactive characters during consolidation), or to find a server to transfer to that for some reason didn't already have a Whisper on it. If you had the time back then, you might have been able to find a way around this.

They aren't going to take away someone else's name so that you can have it. And I don't know of any game that will guarantee people get to keep their names after being inactive for a few years. Maybe you can make characters on other servers to see if there's one without a Whisper, and if so, transfer to that server?

You're right, it's unfair losing your character's name. But it wasn't personal, it was generally unfair to everyone at the time. It's just the nature of server merges. Maybe one of the other people that lost Whisper as a name will read this thread, and let us know how they handled the situation.

I am so sorry about what you and your wife had to go through. I hope that you can find a way to still get some joy out of LotRO, but I'll understand if the loss of your name is just too personal.

In the space between worlds, thinking, exploring, learning, dreaming, creating and always passing on
    Quote Originally Posted by beepa View Post

How do you know that the two individuals who also chose to name their own personal characters as you named yours were and are not also lifetime members? You don't.
    How do you know that they both weren't, in fact, longer supporters than you, who picked their names before you picked yours, on their original servers? You don't.

They were forced to move servers if they wanted to keep playing those characters. You weren't.

Here's the important bit: These other people are, in fact, other people, not faceless drones. Other people, with potentially as much or more investment in their own characters as you have in yours and all the same sentiments about naming as you have. They have Every Bit as much right to that name as you do.

So the decision, back when the sever merge happened, was done in the fairest way that they could manage it... characters that hadn't been logged in in over a year lost out to characters that had been actively played more recently. Better that active players have the name, than some abandoned toon that may never log in again.

There was no solution that would have made everyone happy that they had the capabilities to implement; they had to make a choice on how to handle it, and they made the fairest one they could. Some people were going to lose out, and that was unavoidable. The information was around for several months before hand, and they communicated to the player base really well about how it was going to work and what was going to happen. They worked hard to make it as smooth as they could. You weren't there for that, so you don't get to judge them.

You say you've been loyal to this game for so long, but if you took several years off, and logged only enough with one character to maintain your housing, and weren't actively supporting the game at all during that time, then, sorry, but no, during that time, you weren't. You had other more important life things going on - your real life came first, as it absolutely should... But when you say "You didn't do anything to deserve this", well, you're right in one sense: you didn't do anything to deserve to keep the name. Another player did. Sorry, but that's fair.

Before you react against my comments, I'm a player who very heavily invests in the stories of her characters. They're all important to me, they all have developed histories and details and lives outside of the raw game space, and I write for them. Names are pretty darn important to me. I lost a name, during the emerge, because the server I had to move to (my original server was one that closed; no fault of my own) had a character with that name already, and that character was and is still active. So I lost out- I got a -1, and I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement name that feels comfortable yet, in all this time. I've not played the character actively for a long, long time as a result, and that makes me quite sad.

The character who has the same name as one of mine is someone's vault toon, whom they log on precisely once every eleven months or so, for a few minutes, just to ensure they keep the name, and otherwise never use or play with it. But it was active enough to count, and it was on the server I and all of my friends were having to move to. So I lost out, because that was the method of deciding that they had employed. Doesn't seem or feel fair, particularly, right? Now imagine that that vault toon that logs in maybe once a year, is actually your Whisper, and they log in not even once a year, they just exist there on that serve, and haven't logged in well over that time... how is it different? It's not.

There was no 'fair' way to do it, not completely, not for everyone. They did the very best they could, and they did a very good job of it, with a lot of information and support all the way through the process. The fact that you don't know that; that you weren't here for that, but that you are still trying to claim some right of privileged over those who were, without thinking about any other players or their situations through the process comes off as very selfish and entitled of you, and does not evoke sympathy. Your RL stuff was rough, but any sympathy offered for that is mostly meaningless because we don't know you or anyone involved in it - the only purpose you have here for telling us about it is specifically to attempt to evoke sympathy, so, yes, loss of loved ones is terrible to go through, but you made the conscious decision (and the right one, of course, absolutely the right one...) to put those aspects of your life ahead of this little computer game. So you weren't here; so you lost out. That's just the way of things.

As another mentioned, and I'll second it for visibility: If the name is important enough to you, that you would consider paying a pittance of money to get it back (and, you know, support the game in the process), then contact the current owner of the Whisper name on your server and Talk to them. See if they are as attached to the name as you are, and if they would be willing to change and let you have it back. you might discover that it's a throwaway name for them, and if you pay their rename, they'll be happy to switch and let you have it back. Or you might find that they, too, are a deeply invested character-player who hold the name very important, and were, years ago ,terrified and nervous about the switch and what it might mean for their character... that they were relieved and to find that they got to keep it when they moved because the only other holder on server was inactive, and they got their switch in before the other Whispers from other servers switched in... and that they've been hapily and actively playing this character and supporting the game for years, while you weren't. You can't know unless you check; it's worth doing.
    Last edited by Harla; Aug 12 2019 at 08:47 PM.
    Rider, Fighter, Virgin, Lover; Watcher, Chaser, Bearer of Pain.
    Victim tormented, Abused and Broken; Rise from the ashes and Hunt once again.
    And Vengeance Be Thy Oath.

Sorry to hear about your loss of your wife. I can only imagine what that sort of pain could be like.

PM for invite: Ciph, Cipha, Ciphariel, Ciphor, Ciphorin | Alartar, Gemitty, Serinfina | Shelrian, Shelwen, Shelwin | Alielyn, Alielys, Aliedyn, Alieryl

I think it also depends on how active the other players are/were and if they were ViP players at the time, and how long they had their names.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Sorry to hear about your loss. Take the advice given here in the thread, and try to contact the player with your name to find out how invested they are in that name.

I have a lot of characters on Evernight (though, I do not have a Whisper) and all but two of them I'd be happy to change for another player should they really want the name. Evernight was not one of the servers which closed, so, I automatically got to keep all my characters, purely because they were all active enough to have been logged in within a year of the merge. Had Evernight been closing and those characters been the ones moving to a different server, that may not have been the case. But if they had moved, and taken the place of a non active player at that time, I'd gladly give up a massive majority of them so that the player could have them back.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

As for having support since beta, I get it, but in my social circle, I'm surprised the number of times I bring up this game and get the response, "Oh! I remember that! I played it when it came out." Sometimes it's even, "I have a permanent account for that game." But it's clear that they're just not interested in ever coming back. Beta support can't and shouldn't be a permanent claim on things like names. The rest of us are players too, and being part of the current player base should also carry weight.

The other Whisper really is a real person who has the same right to the name as you do. If the decision was made in some way that didn't look at player activity, say a coin toss, you would still face a 50-50 chance of the same outcome.

Names are a big deal to me too. They embody the identity of the character in a way that can be hard to describe. As a contrast to Arnenna, I probably wouldn't give up a name if asked -- I've spent hours thinking up some of them and have restarted toons from scratch just to get a name I think is more appropriate to them.

I can see how losing a beloved name on top of everything you've been through in the last few years would feel like adding insult to injury, but it really is just one of those cruel turns of fate. It's nobody's fault, and nothing can be done about it now.
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Victory's Secret: Ardith Exhibitionaire (Woman Captain)
    Feel the Breeze! Naked Aventuring: http://www.lotro.com/forums/showthre...endary-servers

What's in a name?

(some guy named Bill wrote this a while back)

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
    Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
    What's Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet;
    So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
    Retain that dear perfection which he owes
    Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
    And for that name which is no part of thee
    Take all myself.

For her nomenclature was deemed by the gods to be inaccessible,
    She has taken Innuendo.

Last edited by Boraxxe; Aug 13 2019 at 12:58 PM.
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

FAQ World Transfers from 2015:

Naming Priorities

With the new transfer process, when you transfer your character to a new world, the world will check to see if there is a naming conflict. If there is, it will grant the name to the incoming character if the character existing on the world has not been active for one year or more.
    https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/world-transfers

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I think it also depends on how active the other players are/were and if they were ViP players at the time, and how long they had their names.
    As Thodorin quoted from the policy, it was strictly down to whether the person on the destination server was idle on that name for more than 1 calendar year. VIP status, how long they had the name, seniority with the game in general, etc. did not factor in the slightest.

One thing to note here, that idle name policy is still in effect and applies to transfers between the active servers in the same region (NA, EU, legendary), so log in your alts if you can or otherwise acquire the same name on all of the servers in your region, or someone could still gank your name.

Bottom line here is:

• Yes, I'm sorry for OP's loss, and they were obviously 100% in the right to take care of things outside of game first.
    • Yes, names are VERY important, but common-word names are also beloved by multiple people and do not belong to any one person.
    • SSG didn't even exist in 2015, so if there is a need to blame anyone, it would be whoever it was at Turbine back then who created the policy.
    • It was an automated process. No human being pointed and said, 'THIS person isn't around, and we don't care why, so we're gonna let some other player gank their name, mwah ha ha ha!'
    • The consolidation process was heavily messaged. Understandable that OP missed it. It was a timing thing.
    • It was created as a means to be reasonably fair to active players of that time. Turbine had no way of identifying and accommodating every legitimate reason why someone wouldn't be paying attention to the game for any period of time. I believe the year timeframe was chosen to accommodate the majority of situations (including things like military deployments, etc.) without being unfair to the active players of the time.

Other games have different policies, and in fact, SSG's other game has no similar policy at all. If a name is taken on a DDO server, it's taken forever, even if the player hasn't logged in since 2006, and SSG won't step in and free up an obviously idle name to give to an active player. I think many of us here who have played other games have lost out during server merges or consolidations, so we understand your frustration, OP. It's an unfortunate situation all around. As other people have suggested, you could try to reach out to the person who has the name and see if they're willing to part with it for a reasonable exchange. Don't let 'em take advantage of you, however. You've been through enough already.

Good luck!
    What I do, I do in the name of peace.

Server mergers are unfortunate in that something has to give when two players or two kins have the same name. All we can reasonably ask is that the system for deciding who gets the name is fair and is objective.

Druidsfire - are you saying that currently, not in the context of server mergers, someone transferring in can take another character's name if the character hasn't been played for a year?

It strikes me as wrong that someone that didn't need to leave their server (as was the case with mergers) but simply felt like it could take a name away from an active player on the destination server merely because the particular character hadn't been played recently.

It strikes me as irrational and unfair that if there is such a policy it applies to transfers but not to creation of new characters on the server. If a name is going to lapse from disuse - what is the difference?

It strikes me as outrageous that such a rule would exist without it being highlighted and mentioned from time to time by the developers so that players with many characters would understand what the rule is.

Are you *sure* this is the current rule for voluntary transfers - e.g. I up and transfer a level 10 character to Arkenstone from Crickhollow the level 110 character with the same name finds out she lost it the next time she is logged in?

By edit - I read the policy you cite and it clearly applies to transfers many years ago from servers that were closed. It does not apply to voluntary transfers today. False alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Druidsfire View Post

One thing to note here, that idle name policy is still in effect and applies to transfers between the active servers in the same region (NA, EU, legendary), so log in your alts if you can or otherwise acquire the same name on all of the servers in your region, or someone could still gank your name.

It's still in force? I wasn't aware of that, and I don't think many other players are aware of it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    It's still in force? I wasn't aware of that, and I don't think many other players are aware of it either.
    Yes, the policy is still in effect, the naming policy is, any name can be taken from a player that has not logged into a character within 365 days

i.e. keep checking the name you want for last login date, because once a year has passed, you can take it via transfer.

This was not stated in the world transfer guide, but a separate Q/A session with the devs, but it is still the rule

I've done this half a dozen times in the four years since World closures in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by greetingsdownunder View Post
    Yes, the policy is still in effect, the naming policy is, any name can be taken from a player that has not logged into a character within 365 days

i.e. keep checking the name you want for last login date, because once a year has passed, you can take it via transfer.

This was not stated in the world transfer guide, but a separate Q/A session with the devs, but it is still the rule

I've done this half a dozen times in the four years since World closures in 2015
    Thanks for the info, but IMO, players need to know this detail, and if it's only been discussed through a one off dev Q&A session, that's not great.

They have a naming policy in the Code of Conduct, they could add this detail into that very easily.

https://www.lotro.com/en/content/lor...e-code-conduct

There is no money in that Arnenna. They would rather you spend whatever it is to rename your alt that had it's name stolen.
    "I never feed trolls and I don't read spam" - Weird Al Yankovic

Beepa, have you considered changing your name to something that is close to "Whisper" like Whisperr or Whispur or Whisperer? I don't know what server you are on but if you are open to the idea of doing a search to find out what names may be available that are phonetically identical or similar it is something to think about and consider.

You could also role play the idea that during your absence (very sorry for your loss by the way) that your Hobbit "Whisper" wanted a more unique name or spelling of the one you gave her? I just hate to see all the time and effort you have put into that character (lvl 83) deleted. An interesting point to make is whether your attachment is greater to the character or to the character's name?

I know this may sound a bit corny but I have come to value all my characters I have created over the years, although, some more than others. And even though they are all just a bit of computer code they with their familiar faces seem excited to greet me and look forward to what new adventures await them each and every time we log in.

Kinda of weird some might think of me but at least it enhances my gaming experiences despite some of the grievances I have with SSG/Turbine as well.

Anyway, wish you best of luck and happy travels whether in life or in Middle-Earth.

Welden
    Welden of Elendilmir

Quote Originally Posted by Rugongrod View Post
    There is no money in that Arnenna. They would rather you spend whatever it is to rename your alt that had it's name stolen.
    The view is, players who actually log in and play the game should be able to use fun and lore accurate names, instead of being locked up by players who haven't logged in for years or a decade

Several things to keep in mind.

1) It was not personal. Thousands of people each with their own story suffered the same fate.
    2) The powers that be or were would have liked for everyone to be able to keep their names and be happy. But this could not be. They had to come up with a set of rules that would govern who got to keep their name and who had to have an -1 or -2 appended to their name. After coming up with the rules they had to stick to them.
    3) Even if your situation is heart rending enough that if they had known they would have made an exception - they did not know!
    4) Even if now being aware SSD wishes they could do something they can't.
    5) But maybe the person that got your wife's name or your name would. Try sending the name or names a link to this thread or just telling them the story minus the language and ask if they would give up the name so you can have it back.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandie2 View Post
    Several things to keep in mind.

1) It was not personal. Thousands of people each with their own story suffered the same fate.
    2) The powers that be or were would have liked for everyone to be able to keep their names and be happy. But this could not be. They had to come up with a set of rules that would govern who got to keep their name and who had to have an -1 or -2 appended to their name. After coming up with the rules they had to stick to them.
    3) Even if your situation is heart rending enough that if they had known they would have made an exception - they did not know!
    4) Even if now being aware SSD wishes they could do something they can't.
    5) But maybe the person that got your wife's name or your name would. Try sending the name or names a link to this thread or just telling them the story minus the language and ask if they would give up the name so you can have it back.

Good Luck!
    I believe what SSG should do, a possible solution, is to program all characters Auto-Renamed by transfers to automatically be given a character re-name token.

So they aren't stuck with a -1 or -2 without spending their own money for simply not having played

Call it a welcome back token. Helping returning players feel accepted. and not slighted by an automatic rename
    Last edited by greetingsdownunder; Aug 14 2019 at 03:36 PM.

After the mergers, we received such tokens. I had a hobbit on Nimrodel (one of the last servers to transfer their characters) wich arrived on Landroval as Bolco-1. There was no way to find out who the 'original' Bolco was, not even by adding him to the friendlist, and I haven't noticed any activity of said Bolco either. But as this other one was logged in before the 365 days were over, I was forced to rename my own hobbit.

Which was sad. But at least I didn't have to spend points or money on it.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Minas Tirith under attack!

Scared people tend to follow the flock, no matter which shepherd it has

Quote Originally Posted by greetingsdownunder View Post
    I believe what SSG should do, a possible solution, is to program all characters Auto-Renamed by transfers to automatically be given a character re-name token.

So they aren't stuck with a -1 or -2 without spending their own money for simply not having played

Call it a welcome back token. Helping returning players feel accepted. and not slighted by an automatic rename
    That's exactly what happens though. You get a notification in your Alerts box allowing you to rename at anytime.. or not rename and just save it.
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast