We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromiteSwiftpaw View Post
    That's exactly what happens though. You get a notification in your Alerts box allowing you to rename at anytime.. or not rename and just save it.
    oh that's good then, I've always replaced players by transferring, not being replaced. lol

Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    Druidsfire - are you saying that currently, not in the context of server mergers, someone transferring in can take another character's name if the character hasn't been played for a year?

It strikes me as wrong that someone that didn't need to leave their server (as was the case with mergers) but simply felt like it could take a name away from an active player on the destination server merely because the particular character hadn't been played recently.

It strikes me as irrational and unfair that if there is such a policy it applies to transfers but not to creation of new characters on the server. If a name is going to lapse from disuse - what is the difference?

It strikes me as outrageous that such a rule would exist without it being highlighted and mentioned from time to time by the developers so that players with many characters would understand what the rule is.

Are you *sure* this is the current rule for voluntary transfers - e.g. I up and transfer a level 10 character to Arkenstone from Crickhollow the level 110 character with the same name finds out she lost it the next time she is logged in?

By edit - I read the policy you cite and it clearly applies to transfers many years ago from servers that were closed. It does not apply to voluntary transfers today. False alarm.
    Per this, it still applies even to post-consolidation voluntary transfers: https://help.standingstonegames.com/...Transfer-Guide (note the update timestamp of July 26th, 2019). And I should point out that we didn't go through a server merge, i.e. X server's population being forced to join Y server. Turbine let players choose their destination server in the same region and consolidated on the ones selected to remain.

You should have seen the sheer chaos that happens anytime EQ1/EQ2 do actual merges, or how badly BioWare handled the first two of three rounds of server merges they've done since SWTOR launched in 2011. THEY changed policies between the first and second rounds, didn't communicate it hardly at all, and I lost all but one of my names to low level placeholders even tho I was the active player. THAT was unfair and outrageous. EQ1/EQ2 are pretty good about the communication, but their name conflict policy when merges or transfers happen is almost like doing calculus. My game press colleague MJ from Massively lost her stream character's name because their idle window is like 60 days or something insanely short, and there was a question of who had the name first on which server and how the policy applied. With WoW, they used to let people send in tickets to GMs to gank names from idle players, but it caused a huge storm of criticism because it wasn't done uniformly and some GMs would play favorites. Eventually, they forbade their GMs from doing it and set up a thing where every time they release an xpac, they do a sweep of all accounts that are idle for more than 2 xpacs and forcibly rename all of the characters on those accounts (per this article I had to dig for on their site). And they don't tell anyone when they do the flagging, so you just have to test it sometime after the launch and hope it goes well. And if an account is active but hadn't logged in the cool name you might want in 10 years? Too bad, you're out of luck.

As for why LotRO checks for name conflicts only during transfers? I don't know, but I suspect it's because of the tech involved. Perhaps they simply don't have a mechanism for it upon character creation, or it's a different piece of tech they use for transfers.

As for why they don't blast it from the rooftops on the regular? Probably not enough people doing (paid) character transfers since the big migrations to warrant it, plus the fact that the policy is right there plain as day in the transfer guide that I easily googled AND a better copy with screenshots is also linked in the transfer window in the launcher. I mean, it's sensible to me that if I were in the market for a server transfer, I'd proactively look up the official guidelines and criteria so I knew what to expect before I did anything and then plan accordingly.

Ultimately, the lesson here is if you want to ensure you keep your cool very important name, log in the alt at least once a year if at all possible. This goes for even if you have the same name on all 5 servers in a region, because returning players may still have that same name on one of the decommissioned servers in that same region and can transfer it in for free at any time, and the name may be just as important to them as it is to you.

Yep, names have power in Middle-earth.
    What I do, I do in the name of peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Druidsfire View Post
    Per this, it still applies even to post-consolidation voluntary transfers: https://help.standingstonegames.com/...Transfer-Guide (note the update timestamp of July 26th, 2019). And I should point out that we didn't go through a server merge, i.e. X server's population being forced to join Y server. Turbine let players choose their destination server in the same region and consolidated on the ones selected to remain.

../snip/...

Ultimately, the lesson here is if you want to ensure you keep your cool very important name, log in the alt at least once a year if at all possible. This goes for even if you have the same name on all 5 servers in a region, because returning players may still have that same name on one of the decommissioned servers in that same region and can transfer it in for free at any time, and the name may be just as important to them as it is to you.

Yep, names have power in Middle-earth.
    Its worth noting that if you have characters locked due to lack of character slots then you would need to sub at least once a year to log them in?

Quote Originally Posted by JimhadaUK View Post
    Its worth noting that if you have characters locked due to lack of character slots then you would need to sub at least once a year to log them in?
    The same if a player has alts on the Legendary server, and then decides not to sub. It would be interesting to know if this applies to characters where the name was paid for, through a store bought rename. Could they just hand that purchased name over to someone else if the player hadn't logged that character in for more than a year?
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by JimhadaUK View Post
    After all of the years, I still have some scouts that are locked on the regular ones. Obviously, I can't log them in without culling another or buying character slots, as long as I'm under the overall cap. Still, so far, none of them have had their names changed. I do get the notice that I can change said name, once, for no additional charge. What will happen to those I have on Anor and Ithil, I don't know, yet. It hasn't been a year yet. I am now almost one year past hospitalization for a pulmonary thrombus that nearly killed me. Losing names on Anor or Ithil are among the least of my worries. Buying that expensive blood thinner (doesn't actually do that .. it just slows blood clotting a bit), however, is a major concern.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by beepa View Post
    I've been a Lotro player since early beta and formed most of my characters before beta went live. In the last few years I had to take somewhat of a hiatus from playing as my real life was very demanding. My good wife of 25 years was going in and out of hospitals and nursing homes and having one medical problem after another and I just did not have the time to play. I did however login often enough to keep my house and belongings that I had collected over the years but the character I always logged in on to update my housing maintenance was one of my characters on the first page or second page of my list of characters so I never noticed that I was being screwed over by Standing Stone until just recently when I logged in to update my characters and once again start playing the game. (my wife passed last september and I've finally gotten most of the loose ends tied up that you run into when that happens, especially at my age of 67. Anyway I had created character named Whisper who is my hobbit burglar and I created her during beta. So you can imagine my shock and disbelief that I find Standing Stone gave her name to someone else and renamed my character Whisper-2! I am a lifetime scripted player! I have been with this game all this time and while I'm dealing with real life situations I get f'd by Standing Stone! I am not a person who would ever have a number as part of a character name. If a name wasn't available at creation I simply chose something else not adding a number to it! I think it's just unfitting for me and it spoils the feel of the game for me. Anyway I've been trying to get my character's name back and they just keep saying that during the server swaps they gave my character's name away because I wasn't active enough??? I feel this is so totally unfair and wrong and am looking for other players support and any devs reading this. Give Whisper-2 to whoever the the player they gave my character's name to and give me my character's original name back! I have never abandoned the game I just had to deal with RL. This is totally unfair and I think that since I had the name from early beta that I should be able to retain that name and that it should be reinstated. Does anyone else agree with me? Not sure how to add a poll and I don't see an option to do that but I'd be real curious to know if other people feel it is as unjust as I do??
    hey mate n i m sorry for your loss!
    having in mind that you have a name change token, there is a thing you can try,
    create a new toon and name it whisper, if you can use the name then the name is free now,
    delete the new toon and rename your old. really hope you ll find a sollution!
    there more threads like yours in the forums, with people angry for "dtupid" numbers added to their names,
    while so many names are inactive from other people gone.
    what i personally did 1st thing after the news of the merging, was to create an alt with my mains name
    while deleted it just before the transfer, i got only 1 name on a minor low lvl bank mule,
    which was not a problem at all using the rename token, since like you i hate those numbers behind the name
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by beepa View Post
    I've been a Lotro player since early beta and formed most of my characters before beta went live. In the last few years I had to take somewhat of a hiatus from playing as my real life was very demanding. My good wife of 25 years was going in and out of hospitals and nursing homes and having one medical problem after another and I just did not have the time to play. I did however login often enough to keep my house and belongings that I had collected over the years but the character I always logged in on to update my housing maintenance was one of my characters on the first page or second page of my list of characters so I never noticed that I was being screwed over by Standing Stone until just recently when I logged in to update my characters and once again start playing the game. (my wife passed last september and I've finally gotten most of the loose ends tied up that you run into when that happens, especially at my age of 67. Anyway I had created character named Whisper who is my hobbit burglar and I created her during beta. So you can imagine my shock and disbelief that I find Standing Stone gave her name to someone else and renamed my character Whisper-2! I am a lifetime scripted player! I have been with this game all this time and while I'm dealing with real life situations I get f'd by Standing Stone! I am not a person who would ever have a number as part of a character name. If a name wasn't available at creation I simply chose something else not adding a number to it! I think it's just unfitting for me and it spoils the feel of the game for me. Anyway I've been trying to get my character's name back and they just keep saying that during the server swaps they gave my character's name away because I wasn't active enough??? I feel this is so totally unfair and wrong and am looking for other players support and any devs reading this. Give Whisper-2 to whoever the the player they gave my character's name to and give me my character's original name back! I have never abandoned the game I just had to deal with RL. This is totally unfair and I think that since I had the name from early beta that I should be able to retain that name and that it should be reinstated. Does anyone else agree with me? Not sure how to add a poll and I don't see an option to do that but I'd be real curious to know if other people feel it is as unjust as I do??
    Sorry, but I completely disagree. Use it or lose it. This is how everything works in life. When a game launches, all the good names are taken in the first few weeks. Then, many of the people who took them don't even care to play the game. I have roughly 25k active hours in this game and I don't have a single name I wanted because of people who got there first and then never played. Life gets in the way. Sure. So you take breaks. Weeks, months, hell even years. But you don't come back several years later that you just noticed your character's name got changed and demand it back. Get real.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2