We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Class Options - Stout Axe Dwarf

Keeping it simple, what class options should the stoutie's get ?

My list -

• Guard
    • Champ
    • Mini
    • Hunter
    • Warden
    • Captain
    • Beorning (female's only)
    Starstorm

I think a Beorning can only be a beorning, because, beorning is a race as well as a class. Having a stout axe dwarf beorning, would be like having a stout axe dwarf hobbit and them lil hobbits are small enough already without them becoming dwarf hobbits
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Knowing what the Stout Axe's are all about, this is my list :

Champ
    Guard
    Captain
    Hunter
    Warden
    Burglar

... just my $0.02
    Elquasso - HNT | Hendunaron - LM | Laurealasso - GRD | Malenthir - HNT | Threk - RK | Tassels - CHM (all on CRICKHOLLOW)
    Farty - GRD | Elquasso - HNT | Ripadoo - HNT | Hutch - RK | Quacky - CHM | Stairlift - MNS | Weirdus - LM | Balco - BRG | Molevis - CAP | Bullitt - HNT (all on ANOR)

Champ
    Guard
    Hunter
    Minstrel
    Runekeeper
    Warden
    Captain.....maybe
    Burglar.....with a new Startling Twist mechanic. Each time you successfully pickpocket a foe, you shout out, "AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" and the victim instantly dies.
    "It is better to be present with ten men....than absent with ten thousand"
    Daenith Erlundir ~ of Landroval
    Ranger

Come on peeps, we are sure to be getting Reincarnation at some point and we'll have Guardian Rune-keepers, Lore-master Burglars and Mini Captains. If it makes a buck or two! j/k
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them under a spot light

Burglar
    Champion
    Guardian
    Hunter
    Lore-master
    Minstrel
    Rune-keeper
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I totally want Captain. I think regular Longbeard Dwarves ought to be able to be Captains.

Burglar would be great to see too.

(Forlornly thinking about starting up a new toon with the new race, or could I face changing the race of my current Captain? They build such a personality in my head... sigh.)
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Victory's Secret: Ardith Exhibitionaire (Woman Captain)
    Feel the Breeze! Naked Aventuring: http://www.lotro.com/forums/showthre...endary-servers

Captain - Pretty obvious that this won't be an option. Considering that the Stout-Axes are a race stripped of their heraldry, history and leaders. It is unlikely that they would have leaders whilst being in the lower caste of Sauron's enslavement.

Champion - Yeah, quite likely. Simple dual wielding axe stacking dwarf.

Burglar - Stout-Axes would be quieter and more 'beaten down' than regular Longbeards. Years of servitutude and the overhead eyes of the enemy would probably require sleight and secrecy in order to secure their escape from slavery.

Hunter - The footman slave scouts and tunnel runners (natural sprinters) for the southern reaches of Mordor. I mean sure, would be nice if there was a +5% crossbow racial trait. Since the war-machine of Mordor seemed to prefer the mechanised nature of the crossbow (remember all the angmarim and black numenoreans that had them?).

Guardian - Again, typical dwarf class.

Lore-master - No idea, the "player character" could have escaped with some scraps of forbidden knowledge. Yet, being a peon of the enemy's forces it's unlikely many could read/write.

Minstrel - Slave songs and prison chants?

Warden - No idea. Defender of the Lost? Considering Stout-Axes seem to be in more 'looser' clothing, a medium geared tank makes more sense.

Rune-Keeper - Relies on a Stout-Axes ability to read/write. If the art was lost to them under years of cruel tyrany.

Champion
    Guardian
    Hunter
    Minstrel
    Drop the regular Dwarf class Rune-keeper. Add in Warden as replacement (One store bought class for another)
    Add Burglar for a bit of spice

NO Lore-master or Captain.

Cheers
    “It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing… this shadow. Even darkness must pass.”

Burg. Because they couldn't be high elves because they would emit too much inner light and be seen to easily. Dwarves are little, so - perfect for burg.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Everything except Beorning

MAWorking had the highest post count on the pre-beta LOTRO forums. He was truly an icon and clearly, hasn't changed a bit. -Meghan/aka Patience

Quote Originally Posted by Fealhach View Post
    Champion
    Guardian
    Hunter
    Minstrel
    Drop the regular Dwarf class Rune-keeper. Add in Warden as replacement (One store bought class for another)
    Add Burglar for a bit of spice

NO Lore-master or Captain.

Cheers
    This has my vote.

Regarding Rune-keepers: runes were actually invented by the Elves and then adopted by the Longbeards. Since the Stout-axes presumably had no contact with the Elves, I don't know that it would make sense for them to have runes (though we do have the Zhelruka as a counterexample).

I do think a Stout-axe Burglar would be a lot of fun, though.

Personally, I want them to have Captain and Burglar as options.

I've wanted to play a Dwarf Captain since 2007, and I have a Captain on two servers that I'd buy a race change for, to be a Dwarf (new or old).

Lightbulb

So the new race without new class? I wanna play as stout axes + axe-throwers with two tomahawks behind the back

Quote Originally Posted by Starstorm01 View Post

My list -

• Guard
    • Champ
    • Mini
    • Hunter
    • Warden
    • Captain
    here we go again............
    so you guys you didnt like the other stout axes thread and you started a petition on a new...................
    stout axes are a money bringing lore abomination!
    if stoutaxes are enslaved from sauron, they shouldnt have the opportunity to have weapons!
    i expect the company to do exactly what they did with the HE!
    same classes as normal dwarves adding 1 more, only the warden is suitable to be added if not a new class
    no capn, no lolmaster, no burglar!
    beorning? really ? you r asking for a dwarf beorning?????
    ffs go to WOW! this is LotRo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Haha Axe-throwers actually sounds like a good idea for a class. Ranged class but with shorter range than Hunters in exchange for... something. I am not a good class designer.
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Victory's Secret: Ardith Exhibitionaire (Woman Captain)
    Feel the Breeze! Naked Aventuring: http://www.lotro.com/forums/showthre...endary-servers

Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    here we go again............
    so you guys you didnt like the other stout axes thread and you started a petition on a new...................
    stout axes are a money bringing lore abomination!
    if stoutaxes are enslaved from sauron, they shouldnt have the opportunity to have weapons!
    i expect the company to do exactly what they did with the HE!
    same classes as normal dwarves adding 1 more, only the warden is suitable to be added if not a new class
    no capn, no lolmaster, no burglar!
    beorning? really ? you r asking for a dwarf beorning?????
    ffs go to WOW! this is LotRo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. How's it a petition and not a discussion on what we would like to see as classes for stouts
    2. Never got around to playing WOW thanks for the suggestion
    3. The beorning was clearly a joke
    4. Maybe you should calm down and eat some FFS (Fried Fish Steaks)
    5. Honestly don't reply with #### like that you ruin it for the rest of us trying to have a open discussion. The reason I started a new threat as it was specifically about which classes and not the overall announcement.
    6. We will now be returning to your normal presentation about what classes should the stouts be.

Love you
    WOW (Wardens of W@nkers)
    Starstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Echoweaver View Post
    Haha Axe-throwers actually sounds like a good idea for a class. Ranged class but with shorter range than Hunters in exchange for... something. I am not a good class designer.
    That’s actually not bad.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I believe that both Captain and Burglar suit the race perfectly. I do not really see them as tactical classes, exept for Minstrel, but they defenitely should have access to all mele classes exept Warden. Warden is just complitly out of sync with dwarf nature, the class requires too much self control and patience.

So my list would be:
    -Burgalr, no doubt that many of them are burglars
    -Guardian, a standart generic warrior
    -Champion, because you know they are dwarves.
    -Captain, every military unit has an officer.
    -Minstrel, can't leave them without a healer.
    -Hunter, can't leave them without archer as well.
    -Lore Master. I'd say it suits them more then RK, I believe they have forgotten the way of runes, though I'm not sure whether they should have a tactical class.

As for being slaves and so on, we do not know details yet, but since ancient times slaves "served" in army pretty often.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    That’s actually not bad.

Nice idea
    Starstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Tengwarius View Post
    So the new race without new class? I wanna play as stout axes + axe-throwers with two tomahawks behind the back
    Voted

They may look cool like this:

In my opinion, Stout-axes dwarves can be harpooners, too. Dragons are dwarves' nemesis and Mordor is full of them.
    Wose, Huorn, and Earth Kin are playable races; when will that day come true?
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-playable-race

Dwarf Burglar.

Been waiting ages for some chance at that.

The name "Boraxe" was originally coined for a dwarven Rogue.

If this comes off I will hafta change one of my Hobbit Burglar's names, but thats OK with me.
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Quote Originally Posted by Starstorm01 View Post

My list -

• Guard
    • Champ
    • Mini
    • Hunter
    • Warden
    • Captain

I agree that LM and RK don’t make sense for these dwarves - lack of education and all (and the classes have always been a dodgy fit lore-wise, but that’s another thread...)

I suggest:

1. Burglar could be added, for reasons folks have already stated - doesn’t suit regular dwarves (who couldn’t sneak back into Erebor without hiring the services of a hobbit) but could suit these dwarves.
    2. Captain doesn’t fit for me. It would actually make more sense to let regular dwarves have captains, as there are examples in lore that would fit, like Thorin Oakenshield or Dain Ironfoot who could be the inspiration. Like someone said on another thread, though, it is the skill names that would want tweaking (Blade of Durin, anyone?)

I also like the suggestion about axe-throwing, but think this should just be incorporated into regular ranged weapons as a dwarf racial passive. All dwarves should be able to throw axes like a warden can throw javelins - unlimited supply, ranged auto-attack as an alternative to other ranged weapons. It would be so much more characterful than pulling out a bow/crossbow, and throwing axes are just never used at the moment.

Edit: imagine a dwarf beorning though - as if Beorn wasn’t grumpy enough...
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Aug 15 2019 at 03:40 AM.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”