We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Returning player: tutorial?

    Hi,

    I've played during beta then release, than after a break, back in 2010-2011. Needless to say, I'm completely overwhelmed .

    Usually, when I come back to a game, I create a new toon and go through the newbie zones again. But here all my 7 character slots are taken. I do have a couple of level 7s, so I could recreate one of those for the newbie tutorial, but all of my toons' inventories are overflowing with 1 to 11 years gift boxes and frames. I did a quick check on lotro-wiki and their contents seem useful and fun, so it seems like a shame to throw them away.

    So, is there a trick for a returning player to replay the tutorial without creating a new toon? Next best thing would be to take one of the level 7s and go through some low-level low-risk mobs around the place they are parked in, but I'd rather go through the guided tour still.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,445
    You could mail the excess stuff among your toons, ten items per message, and the messages can stay in your inbox for several weeks.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East coast, USA
    Posts
    2,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Neofit26 View Post
    Hi,

    I've played during beta then release, than after a break, back in 2010-2011. Needless to say, I'm completely overwhelmed .

    Usually, when I come back to a game, I create a new toon and go through the newbie zones again. But here all my 7 character slots are taken. I do have a couple of level 7s, so I could recreate one of those for the newbie tutorial, but all of my toons' inventories are overflowing with 1 to 11 years gift boxes and frames. I did a quick check on lotro-wiki and their contents seem useful and fun, so it seems like a shame to throw them away.

    So, is there a trick for a returning player to replay the tutorial without creating a new toon? Next best thing would be to take one of the level 7s and go through some low-level low-risk mobs around the place they are parked in, but I'd rather go through the guided tour still.

    Thanks.
    You can start a new character on another server just to run the tutorial area if you want.

    If you did want to recreate one of your low-level characters, though, there are a few things to keep in mind:
    • A new character should start with all those anniversary gift boxes, so you won't lose those (confirm on another server, just to be certain it still works that way)
    • If you created the characters while VIP and have since dropped to Premium, a new character may have less bag space, restrictions on virtue slots, and a few other things that would have been unlocked just by being VIP (all would be unlocked again if you go VIP even just for a month on the new characters)
    • Any character-specific unlocks or store items already purchased on the low-level characters will be lost if the character is deleted

    So there are a few reasons why, if they apply here, you may not want to delete characters, but I don't think the anniversary boxes would be one of those reasons.

    Whatever you decide to do, welcome back to Middle-earth. Have fun!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,979
    All of the Anniversary gift boxes are given to a new character so you can't lose out on them by deleting and recreating. The items from the boxes are bound to character, so you can't mail them to other characters to save them.

    I'd certainly recommend just creating a new character ot two on another server and levelling them up to 7 to jog your memory about the first few skills and get used to them. You will also see the limitations of a new Premium character as compared to an older on that has the permanent VIP perks. (The VIP benefits that stick after VIP expires.)

    Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  5. #5
    OMG! Starting a new toon on another server! /facepalm and /blush and whatnot Thanks.

  6. #6

    Tips for playing loremaster?

    Hello guys, I come back here because I saw LOTR on Apknite once again last night and I am intending to create a new toon as loremaster. I played loremaster a long time before but I found it too difficult (though a long while ago so I hardly remembered).

    Loremaster has to also control the pet. Also, his attack has an induction, so I can't kite. DoT, so can't kill enemies quickly. Squishy as fk. Also tons of skills, so I have to spread the skills all over the bars, along with controlling the pet.

    Any tips about soloing loremaster? Which pet to use? Which skills are used frequently? Skill rotation? Command for pet (follow or aggressive or passive or something like that)? Trait tree to go solo?

    Thanks ahead

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East coast, USA
    Posts
    2,268
    Quote Originally Posted by annemri3a View Post
    Hello guys, I come back here because I saw LOTR on Apknite once again last night and I am intending to create a new toon as loremaster. I played loremaster a long time before but I found it too difficult (though a long while ago so I hardly remembered).

    Loremaster has to also control the pet. Also, his attack has an induction, so I can't kite. DoT, so can't kill enemies quickly. Squishy as fk. Also tons of skills, so I have to spread the skills all over the bars, along with controlling the pet.

    Any tips about soloing loremaster? Which pet to use? Which skills are used frequently? Skill rotation? Command for pet (follow or aggressive or passive or something like that)? Trait tree to go solo?

    Thanks ahead
    First of all, welcome back to the game.

    You might want to start your own post with this question since it does not exactly fit the original topic, but since we are both here now, this is what I do for my Lore-master...

    Each pet has its strengths and weaknesses, but most of the tiem I can stick to the lynx and be ok. Other pets come in handy for specific uses. For example, if you need to quickly get aggro off yourself or another player, the bear has a skill that comes in handy. Or if you need a ranged pet, go with the bog-guardian.
    This, of course, is once you have all of these pets. Lynx won't be until level 30, so before then just use what you have available. (Bear until level 15, then try out the raven, especially for the ability to debuff ranged attacks.)

    For traits, I go with the blue line. Not only will this make your pet (and your lore-master) a little sturdier, you can also reduce skill induction times somewhere in there.

    For the actual fighting part, my main skill rotation against a single enemy is usually debuff (some of these, like Sign of Power: Command, do not draw aggro, so can be done safely ahead of time), send in pet, burning embers, then decide from there depending on how the fight is going.

    When there is more the one enemy, it is a great time to practice crowd control. Once you have skills like Blinding Flash and Cracked Earth, practice with them. Get used to how each can help you control a fight. Ideally you can get it to where you only have to deal with a single enemy at a time, even if you have multiple aggro'd on you.

    Good luck and have fun with the lore-master. I really like playing the class even though I think the healing aspect has been over-nerfed these last few years.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    834
    Blue loremaster is probably the easiest class in the game to play at least when solo. Especially at and after level 20 - which comes quickly in LOTRO. Tips to keep it simple:

    1. Just use the bear until level 20. Other pets may be a bit better at some things but the bear is fine for anything at low levels and will keep you alive. You are squishy at low level.

    2. Make sure you go to the pet menu and have guard and assist both active. For any pet you use.

    3. There is an attack icon in the pet menu. Drag it to your quickbar and start most fights by targeting a mob and clicking on that icon to have the pet attack.

    4. You have some attacks with inductions but you also have one you get at level one that is instant. Use it. Save your best spell (lightning) for later in the fight after your pet has the enemy's attention.

    5. At level 20 take the bog guardian as your "go to" pet and use it for most or all fights - substituting the bear when you *really* need a good tank. The bog guardian is a ranged pet which is enormously useful.

    My suggestions may not give you quite the damage you will get using every ability you have and switching pets around but you will do quite well and never die unless careless or unlucky. I have gotten blue loremasters to level-cap without a single death.

  9. #9

    Knowing if you have the right account

    Quote Originally Posted by Neofit26 View Post
    Hi,

    I've played during beta then release, than after a break, back in 2010-2011. Needless to say, I'm completely overwhelmed .

    Usually, when I come back to a game, I create a new toon and go through the newbie zones again. But here all my 7 character slots are taken. I do have a couple of level 7s, so I could recreate one of those for the newbie tutorial, but all of my toons' inventories are overflowing with 1 to 11 years gift boxes and frames. I did a quick check on lotro-wiki and their contents seem useful and fun, so it seems like a shame to throw them away.

    So, is there a trick for a returning player to replay the tutorial without creating a new toon? Next best thing would be to take one of the level 7s and go through some low-level low-risk mobs around the place they are parked in, but I'd rather go through the guided tour still.

    Thanks.
    .
    What i would like to know is how do you know if you have the right account? I have had a bit of different accounts and I have come across a couple, but I only have one account that has the premium upgrades. Is there a way to check an account w/o having to log into the actual game? Is there a way to check to see if the characters you have had are still there? I know i have an account with a lv 100+ toon.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,498
    The only way to check an account and what characters are on that account is to log into that account. Then at the server select screen, click on the "Transfer" button, a small window will open where all game servers are listed, and how many characters on that account are on each listed server will be listed. I believe this only works for VIP accounts, but I may be wrong.

    An account is defined as an account with a unique login and password.
    Last edited by Gandolf_TheOld; Yesterday at 07:51 AM.
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 104 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    The only way to check an account and what characters are on that account is to log into that account. Then at the server select screen, click on the "Transfer" button, a small window will open where all game servers are listed, and how many characters on that account are on each listed server will be listed. I believe this only works for VIP accounts, but I may be wrong.

    An account is defined as an account with a unique login and password.
    The transfer button will appear for all types of accounts. I checked using both Premium and Free accts.

    The Transfer wizard will list all of your characters for each server but it does not show their levels. Just their last played date.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    3 Harrow Rd., Bamborings, Shire
    Posts
    1,406
    Also you can just enable tooltips and refresh any old ones in your options menu. That should effectively restart the "tutorial" for game mechanics, though obviously doesn't re-grant access to the introduction instances for new characters
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    .
    Musings on LOTRO and other games: www.killtenrats.com

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload