We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Struggling with RK through Rohan

Hey all,

I play for some time now and RK is not my first class, nevertheless its the hardest struggle i had since some time. I am unsure if that is normal though. Trying to get through Westemnet atm and i just struggle with normal mobs very hardly like everyone of them would be somehow between sig/elite. Really. I have full teal hytbold gear, 1st age boosted 85 LI for fire and light and some good teal crafted jewels. I usually play light solo because of mobility and higher survivabilty. Fire is also nice but you can die easly standing still. Light RK need more combination with skills but in summary he can deliver some dps after meeting couple conditions.
    Nevertheless, i am struggling through westemnet because any normal orc for example has 20k morale now, hits me for 1-2k when i have 17k morale. 4 normal orcs = wipe. Cant survive that, they just wipe me in couple of seconds. That is hardly normal, havent experienced such difficulty for solo content yet especially that I dont have ####y gear but nearly max for 85 level.
    Is that normal or is it messed again because of last balancing? Really,i cant imagine ppl running through here with some yellow #### gear which you get from quests. Every fight is like boss struggle. RK has no slowdown skills, just stun in light mode which is useful but not the same as slowdowns. My basics skills like writ of light do 1-2k damage, which you can imagine i need to hit that 1 single orc like 10 times if i wont get epic conclusion running before or static surge.
    I see it hardly normal, or maybe i miss something? RK in my current configuration has really low parry/evade skills. Dunno if parry even works with runes as weapon. Well anyways, i get almost every hit.

Please can any RK tell me if westemnet or areas after like gondor was such a struggle like year ago also? Thanks

Yes, I struggled with my RK here as well about 1-2 years ago. I was level 93 when I hit the first major roadblock in playing that character. She was my first character to go through Rohan, and I didn't have any guilded crafters to help her, so it was just me and the quest rewards on my back basically. It got to the point where the difficultly level jumped and I was dying at least once every night. I got through it by doing two things primarily: I switched from yellow line to red, and I used my war steed to avoid going toe to toe with any mobs I couldn't handle.

In my experience, yellow just doesn't have the survivability needed to make it really effective, whereas red has a trait that makes the self motivation skill a powerful heal, and there are LI legacies that can reduce the cooldown. That skill ended up being a major life saver for me every fight. I also was able to use the big fire runestone as a (brief) aggro draw which gave me a few seconds head start before the mobs peeled off to me. Fire in general is just so much more powerful that it enabled me to kill mobs faster, even though some of the skills are channeled or have induction times.

I also got good at running around in circles on my war steed, while the mobs chased me uselessly and I plinked away at them until they finally died. Things got much better in Gondor and it wasn't until Mordor that I hit a another major struggle. That's a whole different story though.

I dont think this is RK specific, L85-L86 is a HUGE step up; Hytbold gear is essentially cosmetic, because the jump in stats between L85 and L86 is so big. If you look at the "trash" green gear you pick up, the stats will usually be better than L85 Teal, and crafted L86+ purple and Teal is far, far superior.

Thanks for your advices

Self motivation is indeed useful, i was usually saving myself with prelude to hope as it is castable while moving.

The yellow gear from quest have higher stats than hytbold, but yellow stuff in general has like 5x lower ratings than teal so even yellow 140 level item rarely has better stats than teal lower level. I havent found any gear worth replacing from quests than would be better, because would you replace +40 will and +50 vit for 1k tact mastery? Crafting has no gear between 85 and 90. I see westemnet campaign gear level 90 purple, which is a bit better than 85 hytbold. I will check it now, but it seems that between 85 and 90 you just need to struggle through somehow. It was pretty annoying and repulsing sometimes, i would say it may discourage ppl from doing solo content especially new ones. IMHO solo content should not be that difficult and it was pretty fine before Rohan especially west part. I think it still need some balancing here.

i DESPISE rohan.

last time i did it, it was on hunter. i entered east at about 6 or 7 levels over, and was leaving west at least 4 levels over. HATE mounted combat, to the point i did it for about 2 quests on that char - i killed everything i could on foot. rk was my first through the area, years ago, and i very nearly quit all over again because of it. i'd just come back to the game, and a friend was about to enter with one of his chars so we started together... then he decided not to wait for me to come on one night my rk is the squishiest of all my chars, even now (at least of the playable ones. i'm so rubbish on champ and cappy they're not likely to reach cap, because they'll never be groupable anyway.) my lm blessing'd past west rohan, because the group he was going through rohan with fractured (one was the same guy as before, but he only went ahead this time when our third was clearly not going to bother continuing.)

but yeah, i'm of the opinion that if you want to play rohan in normal continuance of gameplay... enter as far over-level as you can, and have as much dps as possible. if you can get someone to help, do. and don't be ashamed of spending LP to gain those levels - they do help, just with the scaling. gondor is fine at 95+ but getting out of rohan... no price is too great, imho

Quote Originally Posted by Rogdush View Post
    Thanks for your advices

Self motivation is indeed useful, i was usually saving myself with prelude to hope as it is castable while moving.

The yellow gear from quest have higher stats than hytbold, but yellow stuff in general has like 5x lower ratings than teal so even yellow 140 level item rarely has better stats than teal lower level. I havent found any gear worth replacing from quests than would be better, because would you replace +40 will and +50 vit for 1k tact mastery? Crafting has no gear between 85 and 90. I see westemnet campaign gear level 90 purple, which is a bit better than 85 hytbold. I will check it now, but it seems that between 85 and 90 you just need to struggle through somehow. It was pretty annoying and repulsing sometimes, i would say it may discourage ppl from doing solo content especially new ones. IMHO solo content should not be that difficult and it was pretty fine before Rohan especially west part. I think it still need some balancing here.
    I havent checked since they banjaxed all the recipes a few months ago, but the only way was to make Guild gear at L85, the stats dont LOOK much better than the Hytbold gear, but it does make a big difference.

I would take more Will over Tac Mastery TBH, Will gives much more, but +50 is marginal; if it were +75 or more, I would probably take it.

Re L86 v 85; sorry, I should have said the jump in LI stats is huge; L86TA drops are much better than even L85FA

Which reminds me; my Mini is approaching that cliff edge, I need to make sure my crafters have enough tokens to make him a set of guild gear.

Rogdush, have you done Wildemore yet? If you haven't I'd recommend getting some more levels under your belt there so the mobs are at least light blue or green, which could help give you a leg up in West Rohan. After switching to red line at level 93, I still haven't gone back and I love it. It wasn't hard to pick up either, but definitely make sure you get that self-motivation legacy on any LI you plan to use and make it a priority to level it to max. On my war-steed I use yellow line, which I enjoy because it still lets me throw lightning bolts around.

I've noticed the difficulty jump in West Rohan with other chars too, but none have had the issues that my RK did. Next char through was my hunter and she did fine. I also am working through Mordor now on her and the difference is like night and day. (I know they have made changes there since, which may be helping as well.)

Took Captain through Rohan next, while duoing with my son, who plays a minstrel. He struggled in Rohan as well, and I think he would have had great difficulty in soloing it. By the time we got to the end, he got stuck on a solo instance which he couldn't complete at all. I tried playing his character for him, and I died twice before finally getting through the instance, and I only managed that by using the war steed trick. The mobs were just tearing through him each hit like he was made of paper. My own minstrel is level 86 now and in Wildemore, so I'm wondering how she will fare when I get to West Rohan. I think light armor classes are really at a disadvantage sometimes. So far my tactic with her has been to temporarily switch to yellow line when things get tough since the heals are so much better. That's a method I use when I get stuck on any class actually - try a different trait line and see what happens.

Edited to add: Rogdush, I just thought of a third thing I did with my RK before trying the other two tactics. I had saved a whole bunch of mathom boxes and I opened them at level 91. While it increased my stats, I still struggled, so alone it wasn't enough to solve my problems. If you have any mathom boxes, you could see if switching is worth the upgrade though, since every little bit probably helps.
    Last edited by CloudCastle; Jul 14 2019 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Which reminds me; my Mini is approaching that cliff edge, I need to make sure my crafters have enough tokens to make him a set of guild gear.
    no need, if its all on the same account - you can use ingredient packs. binds it to the acc, makes it worthless as vendor trash, but full guild gear can be made from it

A couple people have already mentioned it, however, the jump in stats from 85 to 86 is one factor. Especially for your LI, even third age 86+ will be better than first age 85. The other factor is kiting on warsteed a lot rather than fighting on foot. RK in particular does have a bit of an issue in that warsteed isn't as favourable as it is for hunter for example (at least it wasn't in the past). However, you'll be able to disengage and control the combat better on a warsteed than on foot and will at least not die as often. Also, IIRC, light warsteed includes some traits that boost healing, so that might help as well. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Rielthiere View Post
    no need, if its all on the same account - you can use ingredient packs. binds it to the acc, makes it worthless as vendor trash, but full guild gear can be made from it
    Mini is a Scholar, so cant make his own armour/Jewellery.

I'll tell you how screwed up the gear stats are; he got a Gold L/A Boot as a drop - L80, but cannot wear until L83 (cos screwed up). The stats are TERRIBLE compared to the L79 teal he is wearing; less than 30% of the armour, a bit more will and tac mit, but no Finesse and no Vitality.

Mini is a Scholar, so cant make his own armour/Jewellery.
    as long as your guild crafters are on the same account, though, ingredient packs can be used to craft guild armour that is bound to account.

for example - my lm can craft armour, my rk can craft jewellery, they can both use ingredient packs to craft for my mini on the same account.

though i remember you saying before your daughter has her own account, so if you're crafting for that you can't use ingredient packs.

but for those that are on the same account as a crafter toon, it really helps reduce the amount of mats needed.

Westemnet was a beach, with an "i" not an "ea". It's not just you. Made it through questing there on my LM main, fully geared and equipped, and still wiping numerous times on landscape - which had not happened since my earliest n00biest LM days when I was completely new to the game.

Something funky about that region's scaling between 85 and 95. Especially now even more so, last summer all mobs in zones under cap got morale and damage boosts to compensate for new character stats, and due to the already skewed scaling in Westemnet the mobs there have been pumped with too many steroids than intended.

Could not complete a single warband in Westemnet on my maxed-out warsteed, due to neglected unscaled stats in Mounted Combat. Only can hope that Rohan receives a skillful reassessment when it nears release on Legendary servers, and damage scaling there gets back in line. When landscape questing becomes an ordeal, too much is too much.

Does it get better in Gondor, or does the same skewed scaling persist past 95?
    Éalá Éarendel engla beorhtast,
    ofer middangeard monnum sended,
    ond sóð
    fæsta sunnan léoma,
    torht ofer tung
    las, þú tída gehwane,
    of sylfum þé symle inlíhtes!

-
    "Leaving the game plan is a sign of panic, and panic is not in our game plan." - Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by Rielthiere View Post
    as long as your guild crafters are on the same account, though, ingredient packs can be used to craft guild armour that is bound to account.

for example - my lm can craft armour, my rk can craft jewellery, they can both use ingredient packs to craft for my mini on the same account.

though i remember you saying before your daughter has her own account, so if you're crafting for that you can't use ingredient packs.

but for those that are on the same account as a crafter toon, it really helps reduce the amount of mats needed.

Actually this is on my account - and I DIDNT know Guild was bound to account, I always thought they were bound to character like other recipes using UIPs.

THANK YOU.

6 y/o has lost interest at the moment; spending her time on arts & craft, and turning my "T" shirts into dress's, tops and skirts for herself - and doing all the cutting and sewing herself as well!!

I DIDNT know Guild was bound to account, I always thought they were bound to character like other recipes using UIPs.
    then i've got another secret for you - ALL UIP recipes are bound to account. i kitted out a new char in lvl10 critted gear at one point, using UIPs because i didn't want the hassle of gathering the mats. weapons, jewellery, AND armour - heavy with cloak

really makes gearing alts a little easier, at all stages

Thank you all for responses.

From what I have noticed so far West Rohan is very much bugged right now and it is the hardest area in whole content ATM. Seriously. I have leveled my RK to 120 already and now i kick ###. I have struggled badly through rohan. It was a bit better after i reached 100 level in gondor and got some anorien gear and proper first age LIs. The most funny thing is, that when i reached Mordor and got 105 level it was begining to be easy and when i equipped some normal teal gear for 115 i was just started to kick ### and game became super easy.
    Conclusion is, that West Rohan is SERIOUSLY BUGGED and not playable. Why is it not fixed yet? I remember doing whole Rohan 2 years ago it was so balanced and nice. I equipped crafted teal gear and i could normally play with guard. It was superb experience. Not easy, not some stupid hard.
    I am struggling currently with cappy so it is not RK fault or that light RK has completely no avoids in default build like evade/parry (u just need to think for uself what to wear but thats not important here).
    It would seem that heavy gear cappy with parry chance should survive encounter with 3 normal mobs isnt he? Well in East Rohan it is not a problem. I can fight normally. First fight in West Rohan - Entwash Uruk 86lvl on horse. Any normal hit for 3k when I have with some standard gear around 25k morale. Well 1 uruk can kill me easly not to mention about 3. How it looks in East Rohan? Any mob hit me for 300 damage. Is there a difference? Seriously? 10x harder hits ? And why craft gear is not updated? 90 level armour gives 180 vits, where any ####y 86 yellow gear from quest gives 250 vit. All gear is still messed after big change with balance from begining of the year.
    Really, West Rohan is not playable, u just need to struggle bad to go through and if I would be new player i could really bounce from it, its just stupid struggle nothing fun or challenging. I rarely see any people here, the area is just deserted no one plays here. I am here because i like this area and it hurts to see how it was messed badly. Cant fight with more than 2 mobs at once otherwise i just die in nanoseconds.

Is there any chance for balancing it finally or we need to wait till LS gets to Rohan in next half year to finally get it balanced?

In u23, they made the difficulty of mobs a more linear from 1-106, meaning instead of a big jump in difficulty in mordor for mobs, it's a steady climb to it.

Players however, get a massive power spike (up to 10 times damage for rk etc.) at lvl100 with imbued LIs, while west rohan is the last region before this spike happens, making it the hardest region in landscape currently. They also nerfed the mainstats, making most old gear completely irrelevant, and much of the gear in west rohan is main stat heavy, making players weaker in west rohan than before u23. Add in the fact that mounted combat is quite broken.

When i leveled my captain through west rohan after u23 launch, mobs were hitting for 8k per tick (every 2s) with a DoT of which the first damage tick was applied instantly, my morale was at most about 20-30k. Mobs also instantly dismounted me in mounted combat (or killed me in 3-4 hits) with the quest gear of the region. It was possible to complete, but it was fkin madness. (only way to complete certain kill quests was to kill one mob of a group, accept the fact that you will die trying to kill the whole group, respawn and repeat)

Since the release of u23, they've adjusted the most broken things about west rohan, but lvl60 equipment being superior to most lvl85-95 gear is quite bad.
    Last edited by SotaMursu; Sep 06 2019 at 02:57 PM.

Yes, i understand what happened with u23 and I even agree with that. The gear was sky rocketing from 105 level till 115 from 200 stat to 1k stats. It was stupid and i guess some hasty bad decision has been made while doing Mordor what resulted in such sudden stat change. Well, another bad decision has been made to suddenly scale it properly without finishing the work. The scaling of the gear seems reasonable now but not balanced with mob damage and still lots of the craft gear is missing update. I remember with u22 i was always looking on craft gear first to get next gear update for current content and it was working just fine. Craft gear now is just worthless in most cases and some random recipes from barter can be good or not.
    I guess devs thought they will just update it while legendary server will go up balancing on the way. Well almost a year passed till u23 release and Rohan is still messed.
    You still need to finish it to reach end game u know!! I am talking about normal players who dont go do WP or use valar on first toon, just regular people. How u wanna get them to end game?
    Players wont wait another year till LS get to rohan - omg that is just so crazy. Really. That balance should be made already as THE highest priority of all and be done year ago before u23 release.
    Last edited by Rogdush; Sep 06 2019 at 08:45 PM.

I went through WR with captain about the same time as SotaMursu and didn’t find it too bad. It was challenging, but not impossible. Fighting mobs on foot was OK, as long as I didn’t pull too many at once. On horseback, I had to make sure I only fought one at a time, or avoided them altogether. I used guild gear at 85 and 95, and crafted level 90 stuff in between. I did gain a few extra levels in Wildermore, as someone suggested, before I hit WR properly, but I carried on with the blue level 85 guild armour all through to level 90 and it was somewhere around Underharrow that I felt it get really hard, so switched to the level 90 purple crafted stuff. The suggestion of making sure to grab a level 86+ weapon was definitely a big factor.

It’s a tricky thing - sometimes if we ask for a nerf we just get faceroll, and people complain the other way. I found it difficult, but not so difficult it was a major problem, it just required a bit of problem-solving and strategy about how to enter an orc camp rather than wading in and pulling everything.

Where I think the balancing definitely needs to be done is with mounted combat. Now we have just had Isengard released on the legendary servers, meaning RoR is next, so now would be the time to do something about it if they are going to do so. My strategy when in WR was to avoid the warbands altogether when solo, especially if they are mounted, but they are great to do if you can get a fellowship together to take them down. I did a full run of literally every warband with an on-level fellowship about six months ago - that was really good fun. Mounted combat has been wanting an overhaul for ages, so fingers crossed they do something with it this year.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

same as OP

I have a hunter, mini, loremaster at lvl 120. I have a beorning, captain, guardian all around lvl 110. 6 characters went thru western rohan no problems.

started an rk this year and my rk reached western rohan and dies quite regularly. couldnt kill the orcs waiting on the road outside aldburg.
    cant kill the orc boss just outside aldburg. have all gear maxed I believe. can take on single regular mobs. multiple mobs or bosses - wont even try anymore.
    rk cant kill or heal fast enough.

Just entered West Rohan on my minstrel and the first day there I died probably 4-5 times just doing basic landscape questing. Before that, I can't remember the last time this character had died. She is also level 90, so overleveled for the region and all the mobs are dark or light blue. I used food and morale scrolls the whole time. I tried switching to yellow spec and still got my butt handed to me by single mobs in Underharrow. I ended up riding my war steed to kill them (orcs and wargs), which was like plinking away at the mobs with a thousand paper cuts, but at least I didn't die.

Next, I outfitted her in full blue and yellow mathom gear (harder to come by now, helps if you have a stash from before hobbit gifts got nerfed.) This gave her 2k more health points. I went into the orc cave by Dunharrow and managed ok, even against multiple mobs. So, overall a noticeable improvement, although the area was still challenging.

I've taken 4 characters through West Rohan now and the only ones who have struggled like this were my light armor classes (RK and Minstrel.) Coming in from Wildermore, my minstrel had gear that was clearly inadequate. Quest gear that you start receiving is much higher in armor rating but it is still not enough. The mathom gear was hundreds of points better per piece. Light armor classes just turn into tissue paper in West Rohan. I don't know if this is an issue of their defenses not being strong enough for the mobs, or their DPS not being strong enough to compensate or what. My hunter and Captain did fine here.

West Rohan is not in line with previous regions as far as difficulty jumps go. I feel bad for people playing light armor classes without access to full mathom gear.

I'd like to add just one thing. For many that are returning to the game to check out the 64bit client Rohan is the first thing you see if you stopped at lvl85. With full-on Hytbold gear and Second Age weapons I made the bad assumption that I would be able to handle quests with good strategy after figuring out my rotations again.

It was a rude awakening. I'm glad I pushed through with one character because now I realize what you are saying here that its just a huge leap at lvl86. It was nearly enough to make we want to just return to some other games.

But, think about it...how many do you think tried to return and just said it wasn't worth it?
    Balgost-85 Guard, Gungyl-85 Burg, Dolfang-85 LM, Linyc-85 Capt, Dareg-85 Mini, Radhur-85 Hunter Formerly residing on Riddermark/now Gladden