We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Amazon LOTRO where that leave this?

I just read a article that Amazon is now in development of a LOTRO MMO for PC and console. Where does that leave this game? Did standing Stone loose the rights?
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/10/2...o-play-tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by xsile View Post
    I just read a article that Amazon is now in development of a LOTRO MMO for PC and console. Where does that leave this game? Did standing Stone loose the rights?
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/10/2...o-play-tolkien
    This has nothing has to do with LOTRO and SSG is totally fine, and if you look on the Off topic forums there's already like 3 theads on this, they were posted in general but since this topic is not related to lotro they got moved.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    This has nothing has to do with LOTRO and SSG is totally fine, and if you look on the Off topic forums there's already like 3 theads on this, they were posted in general but since this topic is not related to lotro they got moved.
    I still have doubt. I'm not sure Amazon want people to go on the wrong game. So I wouldn't be surprised if they had bought an exclusivity from the moment it's going to launch, in one or two years. I mean, it's a concurence no company would want. As far as I know SSG never talked about that. I even suspect they chose to make a new expansion for the next update so it would be a quick cashgrab before they have to close the game. It would be simple to annouce there will be no problem, just an official annoucement that say they will still have the licence. Easy. But they don't do it.

My understanding is that the Amazon game will be set in Middle Earth prior to the events covered in the Lord of the Rings. So in the short term there is no conflict of rights. Who knows how things will work out longer term.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhalt View Post
    I still have doubt. I'm not sure Amazon want people to go on the wrong game. So I wouldn't be surprised if they had bought an exclusivity from the moment it's going to launch, in one or two years. I mean, it's a concurence no company would want. As far as I know SSG never talked about that. I even suspect they chose to make a new expansion for the next update so it would be a quick cashgrab before they have to close the game. It would be simple to annouce there will be no problem, just an official annoucement that say they will still have the licence. Easy. But they don't do it.
    LOTRO has a legacy license. it will go on as long as SSG wants it too.

Now, if SSG sold lotro.com and signed an agreement to terminate service for a cash payout from Amazon, that might end it.

I do agree that there's little chance Amazon would want players finding this MMO when looking for a new LOTR MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by greetingsdownunder View Post
    LOTRO has a legacy license. it will go on as long as SSG wants it too.

Now, if SSG sold lotro.com and signed an agreement to terminate service for a cash payout from Amazon, that might end it.

I do agree that there's little chance Amazon would want players finding this MMO when looking for a new LOTR MMO.
    Yes. It's a marketing problem, basically. The new LOTR MMO is currently marketed as being a LOTR game that paradoxically doesn't involve LOTR all that much:

"According to Athlon’s announcement last fall, the new MMO is set “at a time long before the events of The Lord of the Rings, exploring lands, people and creatures never seen before by fans of the Tolkien universe.'"

Now, from this, if I read it closely, they are trying to market something as an LOTR game that's not directly an LOTR game. When we read talk of "exploring lands, people, and creatures never seen before," that probably means off-book, off the beaten path, in places that do not resemble what's currently happening in LOTRO. Much of "Shadow of Mordor" is coming to my mind with the lines "never seen before," which can be synonymous with "playing fast and loose with the lore," depending on how things go.

LOTRO has its uniqueness of following the books directly, in "lands" with "people" and "creatures" that are directly written-of in the books (with some exceptions), focusing Tolkien's story itself. The other thing to remember here is that anything LOTRO does in the future would be substantially different because their Black Book of Mordor storyline is unique only to LOTRO alone, so if we, for example, go out as far as Rhun or Harad, we would be receiving "Black Book of Mordor Rhun" or "Black Book of Mordor Harad," which would probably substantially differ from anything Amazon may do. LOTRO has uniqueness in its time-frame, its representation of Middle-earth, and its storytelling.

It would totally stink if LOTRO had to sink because of a new game that doesn't focus on Frodo at all in a time before Frodo is even living. I think we will be ok because LOTRO's content is unique to LOTRO. Different LOTR games, albeit in different genres, have run at the same time before (there were many movie-based LOTR games around when LOTRO was younger, though many of them were first person campaign or strategy games; one strategy game, "War of the Ring," by Sierra, was book-based, and I think that even though it didn't pan-out for long, Chance Thomas did the music and brought some of it to LOTRO).

This thread will likely need to go to "Off-Topic" for the same reasons as previous thread's. But if there's any anxiety out there, I'd just like to say: Remember who really has the story-focus right now. It's LOTRO. So long as any other MMO set in Middle-earth doesn't focus on Frodo, LOTRO has the uniqueness and the focus, and these need not be viewed as competitive MMO's that are against each other; they should be viewed as apples and oranges. LOTRO's goals are set in Frodo's storyline, and that is something that, at present, LOTRO alone possesses. Best thing LOTRO can do right now is precisely what it's doing: To plod along nice and quiet as a Hobbit, focusing on the lands that have the most lore available to us, and developing a unique-to-LOTRO-alone story to encompass the rest of it. I would hope that whoever is in charge of the licensing will recognize that LOTRO is, at present, irreplaceable, special, and unique.
    Last edited by Phantion; Jul 19 2019 at 01:28 PM.
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantion View Post
    Now, from this, if I read it closely, they are trying to market something as an LOTR game that's not directly an LOTR game.
    Quite possibly. For those that played older SPG games or have a role play background you might know the name; Drakensang, for those that don't it's the German equivalent to D&D. There were 2 successful SPG's put out revolving around the Drakensang universe, plus some other games later on. The original company closed down and sold the name rights to a Browser game company. That company then put out a browser game; Drakensang Online. Same name but that's as far as pulling from the original works it went.

It's possible we'll see the same with this new game Amazon's funding (which is all they're doing as they're working with the owners of the Warframe game who's making the new LotR game).