We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Whats this Curators problem?

She packed up her goods and left...again, someone at SSG, tell her she is not a seasonal vendor, thanks.

Apparently, she is a seasonal vendor, just not seasons as in Winter, Summer etc. SSG put her back until the summer festival ends, as a good faith move over player confusion, but they also stated that she will come and go according to seasons (meaning time periods they decide rather than actual "seasons").

It's quite confusing for many players.

Perhaps a better naming model is needed . . .

Filbert Fig - Spring Figment vendor
    Rosie whatshername - Summer Figment Vendor
    Berty Yellowleaf - Autumn Figment Vendor
    Crystal Snowdrift - Winter Figment Vendor

Other - Wandering Curator (comes and goes at random)
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

After I made a thread about it and others chimed in, Cordovan stated that curator would be brought back until the end of Summer.
    I am not happy about it either but at least someone is not lying to our faces this time.
    And I was able to salvage enough to get the rest of the cosmetic pets in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pewpewmidget View Post
    After I made a thread about it and others chimed in, Cordovan stated that curator would be brought back until the end of Summer.
    I am not happy about it either but at least someone is not lying to our faces this time.
    And I was able to salvage enough to get the rest of the cosmetic pets in time.
    I may be wrong then, but I thought that he said the curator would be brought back until the end of the summer festival. I'd have to dig out your thread to be 100% sure on that though.

Welcome to the "we make random unannounced changes and if you don't like it too bad" 2019 edition of LotrO.

"Seasonal" vendors are apparently not "seasonal", but totally random. We were never informed in advance, of course. Curator, who was never mentioned to be "seasonal", gets removed at random whims.
    But hey, people must be buying those lootboxes to enable this kind of dismissive attitude shown by SSG. The clowns will clown as long as circus is funded.

You can see it in the names of these, ahem, "seasonal" vendors, each named after a mocking/obscene gesture :

Filbert Fig :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fig_sign

Rowan Raspberry :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowing_a_raspberry

Can't wait for the autumn and winter "seasonal" vendors, Meade Middlefinger and Bigby Bugger.

I'd still like to hear what the Curator's departure and random (alleged) reappearance adds to the game. I mean aside from player frustration with not being able to plan ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    I may be wrong then, but I thought that he said the curator would be brought back until the end of the summer festival. I'd have to dig out your thread to be 100% sure on that though.
    The end of the Summer festival was at server reset on the same day as this thread so the curator was scheduled to be out of the game again 7 hours prior to the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Moln View Post
    I'd still like to hear what the Curator's departure and random (alleged) reappearance adds to the game. I mean aside from player frustration with not being able to plan ahead.
    People are already frustrated and are voicing against this move.

Quote Originally Posted by Moln View Post
    It's pretty obvious to me why it's here, though, I can't say it "adds" anything to the game. It just monetises cosmetics. Think about it. A player needs 7500 figments to barter a steed and they reach 5000 at the point where the vendor is going to disappear. The fest is over, so figment earning potential has gone. Enter, lootboxes for the last 2500 figments. Ka-ching.

The whole game is now centred around lootboxes and mithril purchase, even the cosmetic system. Massive grinds with low in game earning potential in the hopes that players will use paid bypass.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    The whole game is now centred around lootboxes and mithril purchase, even the cosmetic system. Massive grinds with low in game earning potential in the hopes that players will use paid bypass.
    It's entering the "predatory popup" territory: after not logging in for a month, I was recently greeted with a new popup upon entering game world, informing me of "lootbox features". Unsolicited and out of nowhere.

There is also the Vegas-style psychological gambling trick: isn't it remarkable that when development resources are so strained with work on upcoming expansion they didn't even give us a new Anniversary steed, yet found the dev time to introduce a new "shiny flashy" animation every time you open a lootbox- complete with hypnotic twirls of light and magic effects. (Which I discovered on a new alt reaching level 15 to use bound gift keys, I add for the record, I didn't pay for this travesty.)
    Always enough developer resources to make lootboxes attractive while the game stagnates.