We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Amazon's New MMORPG Game

I was surprised not to see a thread on this yet, at least not a recent one. Just read this article today on the new Amazon MMO game they are developing:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07...?sf105110929=1

Thoughts?
    Gwinthilnel: Elleth Hunter lvl 120~~~Hadniel: Woman Minstrel lvl 115~~~Gwynduilas: High Elleth Captain lvl 62 ~~~Gwindethen: Elleth Runekeeper lvl 28
    Kin: Defiance
    Evernight

Quote Originally Posted by Gwinthilnel View Post
    I was surprised not to see a thread on this yet, at least not a recent one. Just read this article today on the new Amazon MMO game they are developing:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07...?sf105110929=1

Thoughts?
    It was pretty well covered when it was first announced back in Sept last year.

With it either being a tie in to the new LotR TV show Amazon's coming out with or 'people, places and creatures not seen before' (from the first announcement it) it really doesn't seem like much of a threat to LotRO. The TV show would be before the this games time period and if it's the later, that pretty much would mean they could do whatever they wanted to and just slap LotR names on stuff without any true tie in to the IP.

Interesting.
    I will test it and compare it to LOTRO.
    If I can play a tanking dwarf with board and sword.
    I Wil compare graphics (guess this will win amazon cause of the age of lotro, but this won't be so important)
    More important will be landscape difficulty (hopefully a lot harder as LOTRO) and after that groupinstances and raids.

"The new game will be set in Middle-earth during the original Lord of the Rings trilogy and is separate to the Amazon Prime Lord of the Rings series, which is a prequel."

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-gam...he-rings-game/

"Life is a pretty boring game, but at least it has good graphics"

IGN got a little presumptuous with their article, adding in extra letters: Amazon announced an MMOG, not an MMORPG.

Right now, we have no idea what kind of game it will be, because they haven't announced that. It could resemble Diablo, or Heroes of the Storm.

It's more likely to help LotRO than hurt it, as all the articles speculating about this new game will also be free advertising, reminding people that LotRO still exists.

This thread'll probably get moved to the off-topic forum, like the other one from today.

Lvl 120 Guard - Olebenny || Lvl 120 Guard - Theoderad || Lvl 120 Guard - Estelrian || Lvl 120 Runekeeper - Leegun || Lvl 120 Mini - Nathorean || Lvl 120 Champion - Cephrial
    Leader of Raiders Beneath the Shadow - Arkenstone
    What more does one need in LotRO than a lot of morale and a shield?

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    Interesting.
    I will test it and compare it to LOTRO.
    If I can play a tanking dwarf with board and sword.
    I Wil compare graphics (guess this will win amazon cause of the age of lotro, but this won't be so important)
    More important will be landscape difficulty (hopefully a lot harder as LOTRO) and after that groupinstances and raids.
    In theory Amazon's game should be better. A 12+ year old game made with 2005 tech vs a game made in 2019 should be no contest.

However Lotro has solid design. Remember that Lotro used to be considered one of the top mmos with hundreds of thousands of players. The problem with Lotro has generally been execution and lack of focus.

If Amazon releases a game with bad design, it will tank faster than Lotro did after Helms Deep.

It will be "ooh shiny!" for a few months. Maybe some people will like it. However it will never ever beat the great community this game has. I play Lotro not just for the story but for the great conversations I have with people in game. I see laughter, sadness, kindness to strangers. There are ton of MMO'S out there but this one will always be special to me. Amazing graphics and new items are great but the magic in this game can't be replicated. Lotro will survive.

I find it funny you'd find equivalency between a brand new multi-platform f2p game backed by a $2 Billion tv show and $1 Trillion company to be compared with SSG, 20 developers in a studio in Boston using 17 year old tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwinthilnel View Post
    I was surprised not to see a thread on this yet...
    Umm just below your thread are two of them?

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-the-Rings-MMO

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...LOTR-based-MMO
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    the staff is moving these threads as they pop-up to "off-topic"

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiandrial View Post
    "The new game will be set in Middle-earth during the original Lord of the Rings trilogy and is separate to the Amazon Prime Lord of the Rings series, which is a prequel."

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-gam...he-rings-game/

So it sounds like the blurb from the first announcement is the right one. So 'people, places and creatures not seen before'. Which might be a good thing. Base it on all of Mordor's allies and the countries east and south of there and you've got a clean slate.

With a set up like that the whole 'no pvp' thing might not be in effect. Would give that part of our population that likes that stuff somewhere to go.

Don't be so naive. A mmorpg mean to fight against TESO/FF14/WOW. They have no interest in it. Maybe another moba (please no!) or hack and slash (i sign for this instantly because i have in mind gba and ps2 game).