We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: @Tybur

@Tybur

Hey Tybur!

Back at the launch of the legendary server live stream, you said this when players asked if we could get back the original trait trees:
    "It turns out that we cannot go back to the build that contained the original traits because we cannot even run them anymore. The servers won't run they won't connect to modern infrastructure."

I'm not very good with the techy stuff, but does this mean that you tried to run an old build of Lotro before the LS was released?
    By your statement, I also assume you still have access to the old Lotro code right?

Would be interesting to know more about this, if there is any chance in the future we could see a Lotro closer to the vanilla version.. Anything pre HD would be cool.

https://www.twitch.tv/lotrostream/video/327647926

As long as they have a previous build of the game available they could, in theory, get the game to work on modern tech. For example Blizzard was able to get a Vanilla version of WoW playable for WoW Classic. So as long as they have the data it is possible.

However it is very time consuming. It took Blizzard 2 years to get WoW Classic running, so I'd expect Lotro to take a similar amount of time. And with the size of the Lotro team, it's a rather tall task.

In my opinion if they are gonna spent 2 years on a vanilla reboot I would rather have a Lotro 2.0 instead.

During that time, I believe someone said that the SOA game and server code was lost? Or those back ups were lost or something like that.

Its a bit of a shame that people cannot experience having to fellowship to do landscape quests.
    'Ú-damdir.'
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWolf21x View Post
    As long as they have a previous build of the game available they could, in theory, get the game to work on modern tech. For example Blizzard was able to get a Vanilla version of WoW playable for WoW Classic. So as long as they have the data it is possible.

However it is very time consuming. It took Blizzard 2 years to get WoW Classic running, so I'd expect Lotro to take a similar amount of time. And with the size of the Lotro team, it's a rather tall task.

In my opinion if they are gonna spent 2 years on a vanilla reboot I would rather have a Lotro 2.0 instead.
    It didn't take long for Blizzard to get the 1.12 client back and running You know that wow private servers was just created by a few people not even working for Blizzard.
    The reason for why it took so long was because Blizzard decided to move the old code into their new game engine.. That's why in wow classic we will see the updated graphics and interface for example, because it's running on the same engine as Battle for Azeroth, just that it utilizes the old code.

If SSG gave out the old code, I'm sure some people would be able to get it running pretty fast.. If a few people can get wow private servers up and running I'm sure SSG would be able to get an older build of Lotro running as well.

What would a Lotro 2.0 be? I want the Lotro I loved back mostly before we got layer upon layer with issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Palenen View Post
    During that time, I believe someone said that the SOA game and server code was lost? Or those backups were lost or something like that.

It's a bit of a shame that people cannot experience having to fellowship to do landscape quests.
    It sounds to me like they attempted to run an older version of the game with the trait trees, or why would she say that it "didn't work".. If that where the case her response would rather have been"we don't have any old build of Lotro containing the old trait system left"

And what I'm most interested in, is do they have a backup of Lotro pre HD, before the trait trees.
    Last edited by LotroVidz; Jul 10 2019 at 07:11 PM.

Unhappy I have no idea why there is a frown here.

Quote Originally Posted by LotroVidz View Post
    It didn't take long for Blizzard to get the 1.12 client back and running You know that wow private servers was just created by a few people not even working for Blizzard.
    That is true. However according to Blizzard the private servers got a lot of things wrong since they didn't have the data and had to do a lot of guess work to fill things in. Add that to the constant opening and closings of private servers and I think most people would agree that they want a official Classic Server over a private one.

The reason for why it took so long was because Blizzard decided to move the old code into their new game engine.. That's why in wow classic we will see the updated graphics and interface for example, because it's running on the same engine as Battle for Azeroth, just that it utilizes the old code.
    BFA and Vanilla WoW share the same engine. The difference is that BFA's engine has been update numerous time since 2005 It would be the same for Lotro's game engine, which has been updated numerous times since 2007. Its practically impossible to change a games engine once the game is released.

But I get what you are saying. Blizzard wanted to modernize Vanilla by adding it to the modern infrastructure and Battle.Net. Which is why it took so long. I assume SSG would want to do things the same way to make things easier in the long run.

If SSG gave out the old code, I'm sure some people would be able to get it running pretty fast.. If a few people can get wow private servers up and running I'm sure SSG would be able to get an older build of Lotro running as well.
    I don't think SSG can hand out the old code. Unlike WoW and Blizzard (or even Asherons Call before SSG formed), SSG doesnt own Lotro 100% as they require a license to develop it. So I'm sure ME Enterprises would object to private servers, as would SSG. Just like how Blizzard tried to get WoW pservers shut down.

And I'm also sure SSG could get a SoA build up and running, but as I said above they may want to modernize SoA as well so it would be easier to maintain in the long run. But who knows what could happen.

What would a Lotro 2.0 be? I want the Lotro I loved back mostly before we got layer upon layer with issues.
    I never played Vanilla Lotro but by all accounts I've seen, Lotro SoA was a decent attempt at an MMO. It had good design and was popular at release. It was no doubt a good game. But after playing Lotro for 7 years, and numerous other MMO's, I've come to realize that it could have been far better. And the more I think about it the more I see that Lotro 2.0 could possibly be the best MMO ever made period. And this is why I want a Lotro 2.0 over anything else.

So what would a Lotro 2.0 be?

This link is my vision to a Lotro 2.0: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...or-a-Lotro-2-0

Its still a work in progress, so I'll just post some things I find important:

1: Upgrading tech - New game means updated engine, modern equipment and many other benefits of 2019 technology. Lotro 2.0 would launch with a 64 bit client instead of waiting for 12 years to get it. Servers would be more stable and designed around specific details from the start. In game systems like mounted combat and would have extra technical support so rubberbanding and such wouldn't happen. Performance would be a lot smoother. So many benefits to this that cant be achieved in the current game because of the age.

2: A lot of the same - This is Lotro 2.0, not a completely different MMO, so a lot of Lotro 2.0 is recycled from the original. The classes will return but will see some slight reworks to balance things out. The art style will be the same, but be more detailed to look better. Combat will remain the same, but all animations will be polished to look smoother and things like in-combat sprint will be added to make the combat more modern. The list goes on and on. And as I said above, Lotro is/was a good game, so it makes sense to bring back some of the stronger aspects of the original.

3: Content - From what I've seen, the main reason why people stop playing MMO's, and games in general, is because of a lack of content. And that makes sense, I can only run the same instance or daily so many times before I say "It's time for something new!" So with that in mind I loaded up on the content. And I mean LOADED UP on the content. At launch I plan to have 15 6-Man instances, 1 single boss raid, 1 8-boss raid (with a 2nd 11 boss raid released a few months after launch) Epic quests, adventure quests, class quests, crafting quests, levelling quests, group quests, expanded lost-lore quests, reputations, collectibles, crafting, mini-games, housing, pvmp, deeds. I have so much content planned that I wont need dailies, instance locks or grinds to keep players playing because there will always be something to do.

4: Future Plans - In my opinion one of the biggest issues with Lotro was its lack of a solid road map for the future. To avoid this mistake I already have the first 2+ years of the game planned out. I have landscapes, raids and progression laid out and this allows me to avoid things such as unnecessary level cap increases or mechanics such as radiance. Having a roadmap also keeps players engaged and active since they know that something new is releasing every few months.

5: A Fresh Start - The best part about doing a Lotro 2.0 is that it give everyone a fresh start. The game can move away from F2P and back to a better business model. We can learn from past mistakes and avoid remaking them. The development team can put a larger focus on things like PvMP and Raiding from the start instead of giving some or no attention. And of course it gives everyone a chance to experience Middle Earth all over again with many more friends.

Now Im not saying my vision for a Lotro 2.0 is the way to go, but I do think its a good starting point for something great.

Edit: No idea why there is a frown in the title.
    Last edited by WhiteWolf21x; Jul 11 2019 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Grammer