We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Things I miss about EQ That I hated When I Was Playing....

I miss trains … nothing like a group running for their lives being followed by a host of angry mobs LOL!!

I miss corpse recoveries after a raid gone wrong. We sometimes each had 5 or more naked corpses before we could get everyone's stuff out.

I miss sitting in a newbie zone just passing the time by uber-buffing people...

I miss making 10-slot bags from high quality bear skins (I Was the first to level my crafting to be able to make them on my server!!)

I miss organizing the naked troll run to Kelethin -- we only did it once but 100,s of naked trolls trying to get through Freeport and onto/off the Boat was one of the most fun things we ever did.

……
    Oh well... good old times LOL!!
    It will never work, change always makes things worse, and Turbine doesn’t care about us anyway….” Eeyore
    But maybe it will have honey or even something better!!” -- Pooh

I was an Ultima Online guy in the late 90s and early 2000s. . In the 3 1/2 years I played, I had some really good, and some really awful times there. One HUGE thing I miss about UO was it being a total sandbox game. There were no quests, and the only way you could communicate was open chat, and you had to be close to someone to see the chat over their heads.

PvP was stressful back then, if you got pk'ed(player killed), your corpse was open to looting. For example, after I had gotten my bags full from mining, I would get ganked on the way back to town with all my ore being looted. It literally took close to a year to get my mining skill up.

There was no leveling or quests, so there was a lot of socializing. There was a ton of people hanging out at the Bank of Britain with chat bubbles over their heads.

There is just no way I could play that game today though. I'm too old to go through that again. At the end of my day I'm just too tired to concentrate on something like that.

How big were the raids in EQ? I heard that they had a ton of people, much more than our 12.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I was an Ultima Online guy in the late 90s and early 2000s. . In the 3 1/2 years I played, I had some really good, and some really awful times there. One HUGE thing I miss about UO was it being a total sandbox game. There were no quests, and the only way you could communicate was open chat, and you had to be close to someone to see the chat over their heads.

PvP was stressful back then, if you got pk'ed(player killed), your corpse was open to looting. For example, after I had gotten my bags full from mining, I would get ganked on the way back to town with all my ore being looted. It literally took close to a year to get my mining skill up.

There was no leveling or quests, so there was a lot of socializing. There was a ton of people hanging out at the Bank of Britain with chat bubbles over their heads.

There is just no way I could play that game today though. I'm too old to go through that again. At the end of my day I'm just too tired to concentrate on something like that.

How big were the raids in EQ? I heard that they had a ton of people, much more than our 12.
    24 player raids and when a new boss/raid came out it would typically be right on the edge of what was possible so it took a lot of planning, a lot of team work and often getting wiped out a few times and going back to the drawing board and changing some tactics. But it took a lot of hours!!
    It will never work, change always makes things worse, and Turbine doesn’t care about us anyway….” Eeyore
    But maybe it will have honey or even something better!!” -- Pooh

Did Everquest have encumbrance? In EQ2, stuff had weight and carrying too much stuff would encumber your character (which IIRC reduced movement speed in stages, i.e., 50%, 75% 100%.) Max encumbrance meant you couldn't move. And initially, coinage had weight which meant you could be immobilized by acquiring too many coppers. Miss that...

Quote Originally Posted by BK613 View Post
    Did Everquest have encumbrance? In EQ2, stuff had weight and carrying too much stuff would encumber your character (which IIRC reduced movement speed in stages, i.e., 50%, 75% 100%.) Max encumbrance meant you couldn't move. And initially, coinage had weight which meant you could be immobilized by acquiring too many coppers. Miss that...

Yes.
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 104 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

When you went over encumbrance in UO, you could still move, but it was soooooooo slow.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by SavinDwarf View Post
    24 player raids and when a new boss/raid came out it would typically be right on the edge of what was possible so it took a lot of planning, a lot of team work and often getting wiped out a few times and going back to the drawing board and changing some tactics. But it took a lot of hours!!
    24? EQ raids originally being open world were only limited by how much the zone could bear 100+ man raids were common. At those times there were no "raids", just collections of groups.
    Planes of Power era, raids were 72 people and often tuned accordingly. You often had to dedicate specific task forces to various mechanics.
    These days, most instances allow max 54 man raids.

EQ still got encumbrance. Though about everyone got 100% weight reduce bags and mega strength.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    24? EQ raids originally being open world were only limited by how much the zone could bear 100+ man raids were common. At those times there were no "raids", just collections of groups.
    Planes of Power era, raids were 72 people and often tuned accordingly. You often had to dedicate specific task forces to various mechanics.
    These days, most instances allow max 54 man raids.

EQ still got encumbrance. Though about everyone got 100% weight reduce bags and mega strength.
    Even a 69 Froglok Necro. Have not played him in almost 10 years, miss him sometimes... Oh, the Havoc he could raise in LOTRO...
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 104 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

My favorite train was the sand giant Cazel

I played a minstrel and loved making money running people across the Karanas pounding on the drums

Or walking along the bottom of the sea playing the flute
    "They were in the wrong place at the wrong time, naturally they became heroes."

Quote Originally Posted by conell View Post

Or walking along the bottom of the sea playing the flute
    EQ had underwater play? I did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    EQ had underwater play? I did not know that.
    One of my biggest surprises when I started playing LOTRO was that it didn't have underwater swimming. I thought (and still think) that it's a staple of modern gameplay.

Oh yeah, you bet. EQ has entire underwater dungeons, such as Kedge Keep, Reef of Coirnav (Plane of Water), places that have significant underwater portions (Siren's Grotto, Caverns of Endless Song) dungeons with where some portions can only be reached via underwater passages, and a fair number of seas and lakes have rather interesting underwater structures. Only indication about entrance to Veksar is a bunch of ruined columns disappearing into the Lake of Ill Omen. Lake Rathetear has an aqua goblin temple on its bottom. And wonder who remembers the firepot room in the depths of Timorous Deep?

One of my biggest surprises when I started playing LOTRO was that it didn't have underwater swimming. I thought (and still think) that it's a staple of modern gameplay.
    If you think about it Lotro's Middle Earth doesn't have a lot of deep water locations. Lake Evendim, Long Lake and the lake near Amon Hen are really the only locations you could swim, other than the coastline. Im sure you could swim in the rivers bit the game versions are squished to scale. There would have to be an added effort to get underwater swimming to work.

Personally I don't view underwater swimming as a staple of modern gameplay. Eso is one of the top mmos today and doesn't have underwater swimming. That is a interesting debate though.

That being said I do have underwater swimming as a feature in my vision of a Lotro 2.0. Adds a lot to exploration in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by SavinDwarf View Post
    I miss trains … nothing like a group running for their lives being followed by a host of angry mobs LOL!!

I miss corpse recoveries after a raid gone wrong. We sometimes each had 5 or more naked corpses before we could get everyone's stuff out.

I miss sitting in a newbie zone just passing the time by uber-buffing people...

I miss making 10-slot bags from high quality bear skins (I Was the first to level my crafting to be able to make them on my server!!)

I miss organizing the naked troll run to Kelethin -- we only did it once but 100,s of naked trolls trying to get through Freeport and onto/off the Boat was one of the most fun things we ever did.

……
    Oh well... good old times LOL!!
    Remember all those and the Flippy Darkpaw

One thing I definitely don't miss is Gates of Discord - possibly the worst expansion release ever (on any mmo imho) - a expansion so bugged it killed a hell of a lot of High End Guilds (including my own on Kelethin ) as there's only so many time to can bang your head against a brick wall before you realise there's no way you can suceed due to the content being bugged
    Taking the Scenic Path to Mordor

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWolf21x View Post
    If you think about it Lotro's Middle Earth doesn't have a lot of deep water locations. Lake Evendim, Long Lake and the lake near Amon Hen are really the only locations you could swim, other than the coastline. Im sure you could swim in the rivers bit the game versions are squished to scale. There would have to be an added effort to get underwater swimming to work.
    If the game had the mechanics for underwater swimming, those assets would have been designed to accommodate it. Plus, there are other possibilities. The flooded parts of Annuminas, Moria, Osgiliath, etc, come to mind. Having to transverse the underside of the pack ice in Forochel. Lot of ideas available.
    Personally I don't view underwater swimming as a staple of modern gameplay. Eso is one of the top mmos today and doesn't have underwater swimming. That is a interesting debate though.
    And people have complained about its lack. I found it was an odd choice of theirs, given that Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim all had underwater swimming. Not to mention that EQ, EQ2, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars 2, Rift, etc., also have underwater swimming so really, ESO is the odd mmo out. That and LOTRO of course
    That being said I do have underwater swimming as a feature in my vision of a Lotro 2.0. Adds a lot to exploration in a game.
    Of course, SSG could always add it as the next grindy mini-game

I wonder how many Scrolls of Empiwerment it will take to soak up all water in Evendim so we can explore the bottom....

Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    Remember all those and the Flippy Darkpaw

One thing I definitely don't miss is Gates of Discord - possibly the worst expansion release ever (on any mmo imho) - a expansion so bugged it killed a hell of a lot of High End Guilds (including my own on Kelethin ) as there's only so many time to can bang your head against a brick wall before you realise there's no way you can suceed due to the content being bugged
    It was bugged yes, but the main problem with GoD was that it was tuned for level 70, which they left out. This meant you had raid guilds in PoP gear and level 65 trying to raid in the expansion with extremely various degrees of success. Oh GoD, it wasn't nice knowing you.

Indeed, even now, these zones are rather brutal. Barindu and Riwwi are on lvl 60-65 hot zones rotation, and characters of that level, even in level-appropriate defiant gear, can easily get hammered molo-ing there. Definitely need to bring a group.
    All things considered, Omens launched 8 months after, bringing new level cap and making GoD a lot more manageable.

None of the Turbine > SSG games I ever played had underwater swimming. (I played the DDO beta and quit; I could not get my Cleric out of level 1.)

In Asheron's Call 2, however, we had three (later five) player races, each of whom had a different swimming style (Humans did the Australian crawl, Lugians did the breast stroke, Drudges dog-paddled; I forget what the others did). And you could turn the camera view completely underneath the swimming character and observe him/her from that angle. I just took my main swimming in Nenuial and tried it; no go. If you get your camera under your character you get a nice view of the sky.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/