We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

64 bit fails to launch

The sign in window - or what ever you call it - the window where you enter your username and password comes up. I hit the little triangle and chose 64 bit. Hit log in and select my world. But instead of Lotro starting and seeing the splash screen there is nothing. The log in window disappears. Like always. But it is not replaced with the start up of the game.

It is like I never opened the launcher window. I bring up task manager and nothing is running. I can try it again and again and always nothing.

I have an intel I5-6600k 3.5Ghz, 32 GB ram, Samsung 256GB PCI express 3.0x4 SSD and Geforce GTX 1070 8GB graphics card. Running windows 10

Will LOTRO launch in 32-bit?

Should also make copies of lotro.keymap and UserPreferences.ini and rename these copies to lotro64.keymap and UserPreferences64.ini These 4 files should be in your base The Lord of the Rings Online directory.

I know this may sound a little strange, but are you sure you are clicking on the "OK" button, the one in the middle; and not the "Cancel" button which is the one on the right. This is a different layout than the standard LOTRO window layout.
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 104 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

I had the same issue when I first switched to the 64bit client, I needed to install a later version of DX. One of the Devs pointed this out when detailing how to use the 64bit client.

I went back and found what he posted;

LordOfTheSquids
    Lord of the Rings Online Team

Update 24 - 64-bit Client Feedback

If your client does not launch after clicking play, please try the Direct X Install on the Repair tab in the launcher options.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Khalis_Laurelin View Post
    I had the same issue when I first switched to the 64bit client, I needed to install a later version of DX. One of the Devs pointed this out when detailing how to use the 64bit client.

I went back and found what he posted;

LordOfTheSquids
    Lord of the Rings Online Team

Update 24 - 64-bit Client Feedback

If your client does not launch after clicking play, please try the Direct X Install on the Repair tab in the launcher options.

Thanks!
    its not "newer", it just replaces files that may have been damaged by various GFX/MicroGit updates.

if you look at the install, the files included were last updated in 2010.

Another common issue is the firewall blocking the new client.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    its not "newer", it just replaces files that may have been damaged by various GFX/MicroGit updates.

if you look at the install, the files included were last updated in 2010.

Another common issue is the firewall blocking the new client.

I posted this problem on the regular discussion forum and got the firewall suggestion. I added the 64bit.exe to the exceptions list - even though my firewall settings are to notify me anytime a program is blocked so I can add it to exceptions or permanently block it. This did not work.

I will try the repair thing … maybe - I'd much rather just download a fresh copy of what ever directX I need. I tried that repair function once ages ago. It ran for like 8 hours. I could reformat my hard drive reinstall windows 10 all my drivers and download a fresh copy of lotro and install it faster.

But maybe they have improved the repair tool sense the last time I used it.

So if I'm dx 11 compatible which DX drivers/versions do I need download. It seems in the past even if not running dX9 one still needed a copy of dx9.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandie2 View Post
    I posted this problem on the regular discussion forum and got the firewall suggestion. I added the 64bit.exe to the exceptions list - even though my firewall settings are to notify me anytime a program is blocked so I can add it to exceptions or permanently block it. This did not work.

I will try the repair thing … maybe - I'd much rather just download a fresh copy of what ever directX I need. I tried that repair function once ages ago. It ran for like 8 hours. I could reformat my hard drive reinstall windows 10 all my drivers and download a fresh copy of lotro and install it faster.

So if I'm dx 11 compatible which DX drivers/versions do I need download. It seems in the past even if not running dX9 one still needed a copy of dx9.
    Here's something I found when testing the 64 bit client. Right-click the lotroclient64.exe. It should fail to start but give you a hint about why it didn't. If your issue is the lack of the necessary .dlls, this should show it. A new, clean, install of Windows, particularly 10, will *not* include all of the .dlls the client is looking for. So, the recommendation is for you to run the directx redistributable and dxwebsetup.exe. That will copy way more .dlls than you need; but will get all of them on your system. The base install only includes two of them and even then, they were not in the correct places, necessarily. While DX12 is supposed to be backwards compatible, it isn't necessarily so in all cases. The same is true for the dotnet framework and the QT framework, I think; though the install should include the necessary files for that one.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Depending on the firewall, it might not be the standard firewall settings that are blocking it; with Comodo it is the Heuristic Scan section; which DOESNT give any warnings when it is blocking something.

As for dx, download the full 2010 archive and unpack it; then make a copy on a secondary drive - just in case.

MicroGit are slowly removing update files for anything but Win10, so one day you might go for the files and find they can no longer be found on the MicroGit website. They have already done this to NVME drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    Here's something I found when testing the 64 bit client. Right-click the lotroclient64.exe. It should fail to start but give you a hint about why it didn't. If your issue is the lack of the necessary .dlls, this should show it. A new, clean, install of Windows, particularly 10, will *not* include all of the .dlls the client is looking for. So, the recommendation is for you to run the directx redistributable and dxwebsetup.exe. That will copy way more .dlls than you need; but will get all of them on your system. The base install only includes two of them and even then, they were not in the correct places, necessarily. While DX12 is supposed to be backwards compatible, it isn't necessarily so in all cases. The same is true for the dotnet framework and the QT framework, I think; though the install should include the necessary files for that one.
    Thanks all to your reply's. It definitely was not the fire wall. Some other reply's may have helped but I tried this one:
    "Here's something I found when testing the 64 bit client. Right-click the lotroclient64.exe. It should fail to start but give you a hint about why it didn't. If your issue is the lack of the necessary .dlls, this should show it. A new, clean, install of Windows, particularly 10, will *not* include all of the .dlls the client is looking for"

I tried this on this comp and it worked perfectly. It listed a D3DX9_42.dll as not being found. I downloaded it and copied it to varies folders till the launcher was able to find it. lotro then launched and played in the 64 bit mode. Oddly I can only select dx9 while my comp is dx12 compatible.

My other comp I had less success with. The first time I tried the above trick it also said I was missing D3DX9_42.dll. I repeated to coping of the dll to multiple folders and tried to launch lotro 64 bit. It failed so I repeated the right click lotroclient64.exe and it now said I was missing corestrings.dll. So I found that on the net and copied it. Still did not work. Did the right click trick on the 64 bit client and got a message about 204 or something. At which point I said screw it. I'll just play in 32 bit but then 32 bit failed to launch. So I was like I'm done messing with this I need go out so I just uninstalled lotro deleted it and reinstalled and redownloaded off the web page. Came back all done downloading tried to launch and nothing.

So right now I'm just in screw it mode. Don't need play this game any how.

But thanks for all the help.

edit - I logged onto that comp for a different reason and just hit the ring... not sure why but after download of update I tried to start it again. Still a failure. The failure was in 32 bit mode. Which is what had made me give up previously. I was like. blah it won't even run 32 bit. This time I did options and tried 64 bit. LOL 64 bit start right up and said your comp can run dx11 would you like too?? I said yes. So now
    <~~~ that comp is 64 bit dx11 and this one is just 64bit dx9.

There was a time I tried to figure out the whys and wherefores of this kind of thing …. but no more. Now it will just remain one of life's little mysteries. Like why do so many people insist on continuing to believe some guy that died 2000 years ago is alive in well and in charge of a place called heaven.
    Last edited by Gandie2; Jul 12 2019 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks all to your reply's. It definitely was not the fire wall. Some other reply's may have helped but I tried this one:
    "Here's something I found when testing the 64 bit client. Right-click the lotroclient64.exe. It should fail to start but give you a hint about why it didn't. If your issue is the lack of the necessary .dlls, this should show it. A new, clean, install of Windows, particularly 10, will *not* include all of the .dlls the client is looking for"

I tried this on this comp and it worked perfectly. It listed a D3DX9_42.dll as not being found. I downloaded it and copied it to varies folders till the launcher was able to find it. lotro then launched and played in the 64 bit mode. Oddly I can only select dx9 while my comp is dx12 compatible.

My other comp I had less success with. The first time I tried the above trick it also said I was missing D3DX9_42.dll. I repeated to coping of the dll to multiple folders and tried to launch lotro 64 bit. It failed so I repeated the right click lotroclient64.exe and it now said I was missing corestrings.dll. So I found that on the net and copied it. Still did not work. Did the right click trick on the 64 bit client and got a message about 204 or something. At which point I said screw it. I'll just play in 32 bit but then 32 bit failed to launch. So I was like I'm done messing with this I need go out so I just uninstalled lotro deleted it and reinstalled and redownloaded off the web page. Came back all done downloading tried to launch and nothing.

So right now I'm just in screw it mode. Don't need play this game any how.

But thanks for all the help.

edit - I logged onto that comp for a different reason and just hit the ring... not sure why but after download of update I tried to start it again. Still a failure. The failure was in 32 bit mode. Which is what had made me give up previously. I was like. blah it won't even run 32 bit. This time I did options and tried 64 bit. LOL 64 bit start right up and said your comp can run dx11 would you like too?? I said yes. So now
    <~~~ that comp is 64 bit dx11 and this one is just 64bit dx9.

There was a time I tried to figure out the whys and wherefores of this kind of thing …. but no more. Now it will just remain one of life's little mysteries. Like why do so many people insist on continuing to believe some guy that died 2000 years ago is alive in well and in charge of a place called heaven.
    The repo linked to in Hurins guide gives you not only dx9 dlls, but all the dx10 and dx11 stuff you need to get the game working in dx10 or dx11 modes.

it is worth grabbing it and saving it in a safe place (or two), as there is no guarantee MicroGit wont delete it sometime soon - they have already removed NVME drivers for Win7, to try and force people to downgrade to Win10.