We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: New Title

New Title

How many out there have actually made it to level 50 without dying??

How many out there would actually work for this title??

I for one would!!
    Corn Is Lore appropiate!!

Last night I died at about level 42 because my character stopped responding to keyboard commands and all I could do was sit there and watch as I slowly got defeated by a vale-fly in the Trollshaws. It took about five agonising minutes for my hunter to die (which perhaps says something about how trivial mob damage is, but that’s a story for another thread...).

Now imagine if I had been working towards the “half-centurion” title... :~

But this would still be a cool title, even one for 100 as well, if anyone is hardcore enough to be able to do it. Question is... how many times would you roll a new character and quest all the way up to 50 (or beyond) before you finally got the title?

Mind you, I don’t think it would be that difficult, if you geared well and were careful about which quests/areas you were levelling up in... if you do every quest in every zone it’s not hard to stay ten levels above where you are really.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

I would not mind something like that being added, but I could see it causing a big problem. What do you think the reaction would be when a completionist with a character at 120 finds out there is a new title he or she can't get because the character died before level 50 or 100?

I do not think such a title would be added to the game, but if it were, I'd do it as some manner of account-wide reward.
    Last edited by Thornglen; Jun 17 2019 at 05:16 PM.

Don't you have to get defeated in Angmar as part of epic questline?

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    Don't you have to get defeated in Angmar as part of epic questline?
    Yep. With around 44.
    And as mentioned it wouldn't be fair to this wo started to be reckless after level 20. Questing with raten barrow etc. Or worse death through Fall until 20 there isn't such a high which cause death after that yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    Yep. With around 44.
    And as mentioned it wouldn't be fair to this wo started to be reckless after level 20. Questing with raten barrow etc. Or worse death through Fall until 20 there isn't such a high which cause death after that yes.
    Traditionally on my toons, I celebrate hitting level 20 without dying by jumping off the Tristlebridge Bridge. Gets it over with and I can move on without worrying about my streak.

Yesterday my lvl 120 Warden with over 200k morale was defeated by a fence post in Hultvis...

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    Yep. With around 44.
    you've obviously never taken the route between celondim and dulliond

that bridge has ended many titles, before they even reached the vineyard

Quote Originally Posted by Rielthiere View Post
    you've obviously never taken the route between celondim and dulliond

that bridge has ended many titles, before they even reached the vineyard
    Why should I visit the elves? ;-)

One would have to forego jumping off things in Moria...and maybe stay away from the goat rides.....
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Last night I died at about level 42 because my character stopped responding to keyboard commands and all I could do was sit there and watch as I slowly got defeated by a vale-fly in the Trollshaws.
    Back before launch, this was the main reason I argued against continuing the Undying titles into the higher levels -- I love games with permadeath, but online games are sometimes susceptible to the whims of the internet, and losing such a time investment for something that's basically beyond your control wouldn't feel great.

MoL

We also found that such titles encouraged players to "play safe" and avoid more challenging experiences, just so that they could get the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    We also found that such titles encouraged players to "play safe" and avoid more challenging experiences, just so that they could get the title.
    Early in my lotro career, i grouped with one of these players.

The words that rose to my little hobbit lips were quite colorful when the stalwart champion ran off leaving me and my lute to face down the orange level mobs...

ETA: to elaborate a bit further, i could see such a title having a very detrimental effect to grouping. Having someone drop group, or port out rather than face the wipe along with the rest of the group would be a very ... disheartening experience.
    LilyRose of Gladden, Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at rangerswest.guildlaunch.com.

How about a dying title then?

Such as:

Dead yet again.
    Still dead.
    Died at every level!

or

What happened?
    I didn't see that coming!
    I was killed by that?
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.

CaerArianrhod is offline Rohirrim Scout
    Guardian of Erebrandir's Horseshoe's Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post
    Back before launch, this was the main reason I argued against continuing the Undying titles into the higher levels -- I love games with permadeath, but online games are sometimes susceptible to the whims of the internet, and losing such a time investment for something that's basically beyond your control wouldn't feel great.

MoL
    Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    A long time ago, when RK and Warden came out, i created an RK which i really wanted to play. Just in the the goblin camp front of Sarnur, i grouped with an other player, a guardian. Well ... that was my leeroy jenkins moment.
    Useless to say: we both died. Title gone. I was so upset, that since then i didn't play the RK, it is a bank character. (I played a warden instead and now i have two maxed out wardens)

I'm happy that this title is stopped at level 20. That's fine.
    @MadeOfLions: i hate and don't play games with permadeath. And how could/would "A Deep Well", "The Pits of Moria" etc. works with permadeath?

Quote Originally Posted by CaerArianrhod View Post
    @MadeOfLions: i hate and don't play games with permadeath. And how could/would "A Deep Well", "The Pits of Moria" etc. works with permadeath?
    You'd have to not do those quests. There are certain things you need to avoid doing in NetHack, for instance, because the risk outweighs the benefit. It would be the same with LOTRO, which is why I wouldn't suggest trying to play LOTRO in true permadeath fashion.

MoL

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpimeInce View Post

Such as:

Dead yet again.
    Still dead.
    Died at every level!

or

What happened?
    I was killed by that?
    Bet my next death
    Last edited by Mukor; Jun 19 2019 at 06:06 PM.

Laughs out loud. The game is far too simplified and a breeze in comparison to the elder days. Getting level 50 without dying in Shadows of Angmar with any class would have been a legendary achievement, but yet how can we be so sure you didn't had friends to power level you?

Were you solo? Was it recorded? A mere title means nothing, it means how did one accomplished it. You may never know today when you see a player with the Undying title , did he/she acquired the title in dangerous period one one mistake could spell the doom or he/she stood AFK crafting.

Today one has an access to dozens of buffs, gains experience while crafting and sitting in at farmland. Huge XP boosts. It can be done within days if not sooner. Do not forget random crashes which can completely ruin your experience. There is nothing one can do if you crash in middle of combat and then losing the title.

Getting to 50 without dying is so incredibly easy, dear Vala. We are far too powerful and have huge amount of options to bypass even lands , auto teleport to quest location but interior and exterior, and so on..

Getting 20 in 2007 was not a simple task even, now when players proudly "wear their undying title" earned by sitting near the crafting station for hours. Nonsense.
    Read the biography for further details. My spirit burns as flame.

There are certain things you need to avoid doing in NetHack, for instance, because the risk outweighs the benefit.
    MoL
    I keep telling myself that, three decades of NetHack without one single ascension. Needless to say I am losing in Junethack this year.

MoL
    Hey, thanks for the response! First blue name to respond to one of my comments, cheers.

Interesting that you were on the team before launch - I kind of assumed it would be a whole different team by now. How many of you guys have been here since the beginning?
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Hey, thanks for the response! First blue name to respond to one of my comments, cheers.

Interesting that you were on the team before launch - I kind of assumed it would be a whole different team by now. How many of you guys have been here since the beginning?
    A few of us are still kicking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyaerunanethiel View Post

Getting 20 in 2007 was not a simple task even, now when players proudly "wear their undying title" earned by sitting near the crafting station for hours. Nonsense.
    Bah! You know nothing. Have you never spilled a pot of boiling water on your bare toes? Stabbed yourself with a needle? Smashed your thumb with a hammer against an anvil?? Asphyxiated while simmering a potion? These are the true challenges in the game! A crafter who survives all such dangers and still makes useful items well deserves the Undying title. Crafters of Middle Earth, Unite for your Rights!

2 Long Street, Corstead, Bree-land Homesteads, Crickhollow, Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Astarte View Post
    the stalwart champion ran off leaving me and my lute to face down the orange level mobs...
    See it all the time even when not fellowing. Dragging mobs around by careless aggro causing them to attack innocent bystanders (I wonder if that may be occurring less nowadays, just a hunch).

Fear not, I pick up my aggro'ed mobs. I stay and fight them, I help the player in distress, I, and my Kinship, are your "stalwart champions". For real.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Crickhollow
    Malancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpimeInce View Post

Such as:

Dead yet again.
    Still dead.
    Died at every level!

or

What happened?
    I was killed by that?
    Challenge accepted.
    Here, hold my beer.
    Hey y'all, watch this.

That first step WAS a doozy!
    Gravity Sucks.
    Wile E was an amateur.

Brandy: Cupcakes of Doom.
    Landro: Trueheart Companions.

Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    See it all the time even when not fellowing. Dragging mobs around by careless aggro causing them to attack innocent bystanders (I wonder if that may be occurring less nowadays, just a hunch).

Fear not, I pick up my aggro'ed mobs. I stay and fight them, I help the player in distress, I, and my Kinship, are your "stalwart champions". For real.
    My experience is that most players are like you and your stalwart kinnies.

This guy aggravated me because he'd asked for my help, then ran off when things got tough.
    LilyRose of Gladden, Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at rangerswest.guildlaunch.com.