We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Unhappy Alternative Solutions for older Macs?

I have been playing (and loving) LOTRO for about 7 years now and resigned to the fact we would probably not get a „real“ Mac client.
    A few months ago a „Mac-client“ was announced and I was excited to try it. Now the old client stopped working AFTER patching for hours?! We get a new (NOT NATIVE, AGAIN!) „Mac client“ we have to use, which doesn't work for a lot of mac users? WTH, SSG?

My machine/OS suddenly seems to be too old to play the game one way or another? (2011 MBP, still happily running Yosemite because of software; Mojave officially not supported)
    The old client was working most of the time at least.. Graphics were ok, but it was working and I did not have any major problems.

The Wine client (requires Mojave, but installed the game?!) immediately crashes/quits after world selection!

Bootcamp is not working for me atm; it will be months until I can reinstall everything.
    I'm currently trying to install the 64bit PC version via Parallels. Even if that works, it should not be necessary! (WE NEED A NATIVE MAC CLIENT!)

So, are there any more ALTERNATIVE SOLUTIONS?

Thanks for all your support, Standing Stone Games.
    Last edited by Erynmaeth; Jun 16 2019 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erynmaeth View Post
    I have been playing (and loving) LOTRO for about 7 years now and resigned to the fact we would probably not get a „real“ Mac client.
    A few months ago a „Mac-client“ was announced and I was excited to try it. Now the old client stopped working AFTER patching for hours?! We get a new (NOT NATIVE, AGAIN!) „Mac client“ we have to use, which doesn't work for a lot of mac users? WTH, SSG?

My machine/OS suddenly seems to be too old to play the game one way or another? (2011 MBP, still happily running Yosemite because of software; Mojave officially not supported)
    The old client was working most of the time at least.. Graphics were ok, but it was working and I did not have any major problems.

The Wine client (requires Mojave, but installed the game?!) immediately crashes/quits after world selection!

Bootcamp is not working for me atm; it will be months until I can reinstall everything.
    I'm currently trying to install the 64bit PC version via Parallels. Even if that works, it should not be necessary! (WE NEED A NATIVE MAC CLIENT!)

So, are there any more ALTERNATIVE SOLUTIONS?

Thanks for all your support, Standing Stone Games.

Hi Erynmaeth!

SSG is less than clear on how we should use the new client on Mac, as still does not list MacOs requirement in this page: https://help.standingstonegames.com/...nts-for-LOTRO-

I do not know if you actually get a message about the requirements or not, but a MBP from 2011, should have same -or better CPU/GPU as those listed in the requirements for windows…

I think the crashes you are seeing might be unrelated to the requirements (Wine HQ states the current version of Wine (4.10 staging) should work from 10.8 upwards - the version the clients install is 4.5 staging).

Have a look at https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ons-Client-V24 and see if it helps getting a more stable client.

Helping other users I have also found out that crashes could happen in one user, but not in another (the problem -and good- about this is that each user need a separate installation), so if the steps in the suggestions above do not help, you could create a new admin (from the system preferences) and download the client in there…

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by amosconi View Post
    Hi Erynmaeth!

SSG is less than clear on how we should use the new client on Mac, as still does not list MacOs requirement in this page: https://help.standingstonegames.com/...nts-for-LOTRO-

I do not know if you actually get a message about the requirements or not, but a MBP from 2011, should have same -or better CPU/GPU as those listed in the requirements for windows…

I think the crashes you are seeing might be unrelated to the requirements (Wine HQ states the current version of Wine (4.10 staging) should work from 10.8 upwards - the version the clients install is 4.5 staging).

Have a look at https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ons-Client-V24 and see if it helps getting a more stable client.

Helping other users I have also found out that crashes could happen in one user, but not in another (the problem -and good- about this is that each user need a separate installation), so if the steps in the suggestions above do not help, you could create a new admin (from the system preferences) and download the client in there…

good luck!
    Just wanted to add that I have been happily running the Wine client on my Late 2009 iMac, running High Sierra (I can't install Mojave.) There were a few bumps on the road, but I am happily adventuring today in 64-bit mode. I would further add that as all of this is still fairly new, we need to be patient while the initial bugs are worked out. Thank you for your informative postings, I tried your "Activity Monitor" suggestion today and it verified that I am in fact running 64-bit. Had to lower some video settings, but other than that, all runs smoothly.

I am running the new client on El Capitan.. The installer will run with Yosemite, but the game will not launch with Yosemite it seems.. I was previously Mavericks and tried sorting this out myself, as has been stated that SSG have not released the system requirements for the new client.. They probably should have.. Oh well!

OS X El Capitan can run on the following Mac models:
    iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminium, Early 2009, or newer)
    MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    Xserve (Early 2009)

The new client actually runs a bit better than the 'native' one, though Wine still runs at only half as good performance vs just running the x64 client in Boot Camp..