We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Mac Wine Client Black Desktop

So I recently found out that (after patching for the vales of anduin) the mac launcher had been updated to a new 'Wine' based client... and we HAVE to use it... (thanks guys, would have been nice to know before patching)

I download this client and can get into the game only to find that I can't play windowed how I like... If I select Windowed in the settings the game windows but my desktop goes black,
    Never had this issue with the old launcher so I'm assuming that it was caused by this update...

Can't find anyone else with the same issue...

Current specs:
    - MacOS Mojave
    - Retina 5K (Radeon Pro 580 8GB)
    - 16GB Ram
    - 3.8GHz i5

Not sure what version of wine however I've never installed wine before so it'll be whatever came with the install

Level's are contagious but why get rid of them?

Signature made with http://www.djelle.dk/sig-lotro/

Quote Originally Posted by Balfimli View Post
    So I recently found out that (after patching for the vales of anduin) the mac launcher had been updated to a new 'Wine' based client... and we HAVE to use it... (thanks guys, would have been nice to know before patching)

I download this client and can get into the game only to find that I can't play windowed how I like... If I select Windowed in the settings the game windows but my desktop goes black,
    Never had this issue with the old launcher so I'm assuming that it was caused by this update...

Can't find anyone else with the same issue...

Current specs:
    - MacOS Mojave
    - Retina 5K (Radeon Pro 580 8GB)
    - 16GB Ram
    - 3.8GHz i5

Not sure what version of wine however I've never installed wine before so it'll be whatever came with the install
    Hi Balfimli,

Unfortunately I'm in a worse situation than you are: if I select the windowed option, not only I get a back background, but the window itself (excerpt for the window bar) is also black!

I have tried mimicking the settings you had in your screenshot, but the behaviour in my case remain the same.

The version of Wine installed by the client, for what is worth, is 4.5 staging.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Balfimli View Post
    While it was not specifically mentioned in the release notes, this change was announced several weeks ago.

"The former MacOS client is being replaced with a new Wine client solution. The new client is not yet required to play the game, but the new client is expected to replace the MacOSX client when Update 24 is released."

From Cordovan's post announcing the Wine client on June 4th. As for the issue you are experiencing, try setting the Graphics option to "Full Screen (Windowed)." This works for me, ymmv. (I am still on OS X 10.13 (High Sierra) as my machine will not run Mojave.) Good luck.