We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

LI advancement: A (probably) dumb idea about how to reduce the grind

I think I can say without a doubt that no one likes to grind for hundreds (thousands?) of Anfalas Empowerment Scrolls.

Regardless of the idea that I am proposing later in the post, the main thing that needs to change is reducing the amount of grind to get scrolls.
    That has been kicked all over the Forum so I will not beat on the decomposing, fume emitting, eerily glowing horse.

I think we all must realize that selling LI advancement via Mithril Coins is a major funding source for SSG. 10 Mithril Coins = 1 advancement (equivalent to 1 Anfalas Emp. Scr.)

So, even if you decide that you will bite the bullet and spend the bucks, you still hafta' click until you develop arthritis in your clicking finger.

What if you could pay a one-time fee for something like a SUPER Anfalas Scroll Of Empowerment?
    A Scroll that takes your LI to the max in one fell swoop.

I personally wouldn't spend that money, but some folks would. And gladly, I would bet.

So, 2 things I am suggesting;

Thing 1: Reduce the in-game grind in some way so that the number of scrolls needed is drastically reduced (by half at least). Adding more ways to get them would certainly be cool.
    Thing 2: Offer a Super-Scroll to advance an LI to the max. The LP price for this should be a significant reduction from the current 10MC = 1 Scroll price.

The same kind of deal should be applied to the Anfalas Star-lit Crystal conundrum.

That might keep the money flowing and perhaps get some of us to stow our pitchforks.

(But then again, some of us love our pitchforks and will cling to them until the end. C'est la vie.)
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Good luck a different thread went on and on and on and on and on. Still nothing.
    "I never feed trolls and I don't read spam" - Weird Al Yankovic

Both nice ideas. I wouldn’t spend the money either, but clearly some people do, or this would have been changed earlier.

One answer to reducing the mundanity of the grind would be the repeatables in the regions from 100 onwards. e.g. the Dol Amroth dailies. These aren’t much use anymore as we level past the region before we could collect all the gear, but if they all rewarded Amroth silver pieces, we could use them to buy cheaper scrolls from the reputation barterer in the Court of the Fount. Something similar with all the other repeatable quests post-100 would be nice too.

Also, as I suggested in the other thread, the first twenty tiers after imbuement could be scrapped completely, as if you’ve done all your set up work first your weapon gets no better than it was before imbuement until about tier 21. This could potentially save everyone 20 x 7 = 140 scrolls, if the tiers were pushed back. But they won’t be
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

I would prefer a mechanic where each bought Anfalas Scroll of Empowerment goes into a pool, and you take from the contents of the pool whatever you need, to increase the legacy tiers. Then you will only have to choose a legacy of a given item, and then confirm each tier, instead of having to: 1. click on the scroll 2. choose the item 3. scroll down through the legacies and 4. choose which one is to be increased.

Edit: This would also allow to store surplus scrolls from various sources (quests, instances) while your items are currently maxed out, and save inventory space. Whenever there is an increase in the legacy tiers, you can use them instantly.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 120 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 120 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Minas Tirith under attack!

So basically you are proposing a more evident P2W model (I won't discuss P2W, I'm tired of it but I still see it as P2W and nobody will change my mind by saying blabla you don't win blabla)

10 mithril per empowerment is already overpriced having in mind the cost per crystal is also 10 mithril. I recognize I spent mithril on 2 alts to unlock some crystals years ago, but nor I'd spend it on empowerments nor I'd do it again, I'd rather do not play.

Atm is far easier to get crystals than empowerments, and empowerments run away faster than crystals. It's far easier to get crystals too because it's just for 1 legacy, and you require less crystals to max that legacy than 1 empowerment legacy (I think)

Many dozens of solutions were proposed, I even proposed 1 to make old content interesting: add them to the motes vendor (NOT EMBERS ONLY, YOU CAN ADD TO EMBERS BUT LIS ARE LVL100 ITEMS, SO ALSO TO MOTES)
    But with reduced price compared to BBs. In fact, I also proposed BBs prices should be lowered. 10 merits/motes per empowerment and 100 merits/motes per crystal look fair for me, I think
    Knowning SSG they'll add it just to embers for like 300 embers per empowerment and 1000 embers per crystal xD maybe even more

The LI system should be reworked, something similar to Virtue revamp could be interesting, but meanwhile they are doing that, they could lower the grind as a hotfix.

I know SSG won't remove the P2W aspect, the same happening with solvents, for example, but don't do it even worse than before. A character can already be fully geared with just mithril, solvents and black keys, what's next? Add the maxed LIs, the essences and the gear directly in the store? Really?

Over in the other giant thread about the LI grind, I proposed something like this. In my case, I foresee this item included as an exclusive bonus in the Super-Duper Most-Expensive-Ever edition of the next expansion. Not available to the general public.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Added to the list of other good ideas to improve the SOE grind.
    I'm personally in favour of reducing the shard cost via the relic master - currently 42 zillion per scroll or something (5000 seems a fair number). Lets make the relic master vaild again. At the moment there are hundres of those forge and relic masters taking up valuble floor space and good oxygen all over middle-earth with no real use after imbuement.

Quote Originally Posted by hoohim View Post
    Added to the list of other good ideas to improve the SOE grind.
    I'm personally in favour of reducing the shard cost via the relic master - currently 42 zillion per scroll or something (5000 seems a fair number). Lets make the relic master vaild again. At the moment there are hundres of those forge and relic masters taking up valuble floor space and good oxygen all over middle-earth with no real use after imbuement.
    42,600 is a bunch; but remember there are an unknown number of folk with millions of shards (about 20 scrolls per million at current price) and getting more isn't that much more than playing all aspects of the game. So, I wouldn't mind seeing that go down some; but 5000 is too low, given how many ways and not that much time is required to earn millions. 12K sounds good to me, with all of the previous tiers reduced proportionately, except, maybe, tier 1.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Millions of Shards seems off by a factor of ten to me, but I have only myself to go by. I've been playing since the beginning, but only about 5 months actual time, and I could probably buy 3 scrolls using Shards. I've said elsewhere the price should probably be around 400, but Shards are not likely to be part of the solution anyway.

I really don't think they're going to do anything to reduce their income. I believe the best we can hope for is a reduction in how much of our time is consumed. Putting a cooldown on the daily quests but increasing the rewards would be a start. As an example, do the Osgiliath culvert quests every three days instead of daily, but receive 15 coins instead of 5 for each quest.

But I'll be surprised of they ever do anything helpful. That just doesn't seem to be in their business plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzin View Post
    Millions of Shards seems off by a factor of ten to me, but I have only myself to go by. I've been playing since the beginning, but only about 5 months actual time, and I could probably buy 3 scrolls using Shards. I've said elsewhere the price should probably be around 400, but Shards are not likely to be part of the solution anyway.

I really don't think they're going to do anything to reduce their income. I believe the best we can hope for is a reduction in how much of our time is consumed. Putting a cooldown on the daily quests but increasing the rewards would be a start. As an example, do the Osgiliath culvert quests every three days instead of daily, but receive 15 coins instead of 5 for each quest.

But I'll be surprised of they ever do anything helpful. That just doesn't seem to be in their business plan.
    You don't have to believe me at all, though I have nearly two million on two accounts. One with over a million, one with about 5/8ths of a million and getting more shards each day than I use them. I am not alone. I can even see people with 10+million of shards. And I am not really going out of my way to get more. My /played time exceeds yours (I am retired), though I started three years after launch.

About the culverts, since your proposal doesn't change anything in terms of reward/time, so why do it; especially since it will be perceived, by some, as increasing the 'grind'?
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Instead of having to travel to and run through Osgiliath every day, you would only have to do it every three days Yes, it's the same reward over the same period of time. That's the point. However, it reduces the time a player has to spend to get it significantly. I can't imaging anyone seeing that as increased grind.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    About the culverts, since your proposal doesn't change anything in terms of reward/time, so why do it; especially since it will be perceived, by some, as increasing the 'grind'?

Well, I don't have the money to spend, so I'll just keep on grinding.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

I'm really curious about these Shards. Has some new way of getting them been added to the game? I've only been back a short while after being gone for two years, but the last time I checked the only reliable way to get them was to use the Relic Master to deconstruct a legendary item for the relic(s), then Refine the relic into a Shard.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    You don't have to believe me at all, though I have nearly two million on two accounts. One with over a million, one with about 5/8ths of a million and getting more shards each day than I use them. I am not alone. I can even see people with 10+million of shards.
    I surely do think it would be a real improvement to spend only a third as much time grinding even if it's for the same amount of scrolls over the same period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Well, I don't have the money to spend, so I'll just keep on grinding.

[edit: I did overlook the relics that you can get doing instances and the ones from crafted relics, but "millions" still sounds like a huge amount.]
    Last edited by Nzin; Jun 17 2019 at 04:21 AM.