We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Dear developers. Just close these legendary servers with pseudo-nostalgic emotions that take away a lot of resources and break the game. By providing a simple cut-down content to hundreds of players, you break the game to many thousands.

"Cry from the heart"... Sorry

Can people like, chill?

This update wont be months like some of you are exaggerating about, Id say confidently we would see it next week.

Its an old old game with a "spaghetti" code and a not that big developer team. This isnt Dota 2, dont expect hotfixed out within an hour of a somewhat large update, thats just unreasonable for SSG and Lotro imo

And also chill with the critique towards devs and coord. AFAIK they dont make decisions around here, the LI system could be fixed in a day most likely by any number of devs but its not their choice to do that, or exactly when they can shutdown for an update

And if all the rumours are true and us raiders are a super small fraction of the playerbase, then I, in SSG's footsteps, would definitely not stop everything and just get this one issue fixed.
    Lvl 120 Guard - Olebenny || Lvl 120 Guard - Theoderad || Lvl 120 Guard - Estelrian || Lvl 120 Runekeeper - Leegun || Lvl 120 Mini - Nathorean || Lvl 120 Champion - Cephrial
    Leader of Raiders Beneath the Shadow - Arkenstone
    What more does one need in LotRO than a lot of morale and a shield?

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Just to reiterate, we have indeed found a bug causing this, and a fix will hopefully be in the next game update.
    This should be a hotfix or a rollback. Why isn't this being done and why is there no eta and only a "hopefully"? Don't get me wrong, I don't want the dev team to work excess hours to get this done but I do expect a modicum of testing (apparently not done) and a date for a fix. I love the game and I want the game to do well but this is one of the most disappointing posts I've read from the team.
    "Words, like Nature, half reveal/And half conceal the Soul within." ~ Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Quote Originally Posted by gelfling View Post
    This should be a hotfix or a rollback. Why isn't this being done and why is there no eta and only a "hopefully"? Don't get me wrong, I don't want the dev team to work excess hours to get this done but I do expect a modicum of testing (apparently not done) and a date for a fix. I love the game and I want the game to do well but this is one of the most disappointing posts I've read from the team.
    These kind of re-occurring mistakes start to piss me off too. I just can't understand how any software developing studio can make these same mistakes over and over again without doing any testing what so ever prior releases.
    For reference we at work develop tens of different software peaces for in-house and outside clients, and every freaking update gets tested in THREE DIFFERENT environments (dev, test & pre-live) before we drop it into LIVE.
    I'm sick of tired some people defending SSG (no resources for QA, old code bla-bla-bla). For christ's sake if you don't have manpower to test releases yourself, just put them on BR for a week before releasing on live, i can assure you there are enthusiasts who will find these kind of bugs in a matter of hours.

And yes, Cord+ too must be blamed for posting this kind of blatant response in official forums, this is a very good example how communication should not be done. For most people it sounded like this - "Yeah, thanks for finding it out for us, guys. We will fix it when we bother to fix it". This kind of response just shows his lack of knowledge how raiding and raid planning works nowadays and just pisses on people who had already made plans to raid on a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Marxlne View Post
    These kind of re-occurring mistakes start to piss me off too. I just can't understand how any software developing studio can make these same mistakes over and over again without doing any testing what so ever prior releases.
    For reference we at work develop tens of different software peaces for in-house and outside clients, and every freaking update gets tested in THREE DIFFERENT environments (dev, test & pre-live) before we drop it into LIVE.
    I'm sick of tired some people defending SSG (no resources for QA, old code bla-bla-bla). For christ's sake if you don't have manpower to test releases yourself, just put them on BR for a week before releasing on live, i can assure you there are enthusiasts who will find these kind of bugs in a matter of hours.

And yes, Cord+ too must be blamed for posting this kind of blatant response in official forums, this is a very good example how communication should not be done. For most people it sounded like this - "Yeah, thanks for finding it out for us, guys. We will fix it when we bother to fix it". This kind of response just shows his lack of knowledge how raiding and raid planning works nowadays and just pisses on people who had already made plans to raid on a weekend.
    +100

You currently have 1337 reputation point(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Olebenny View Post
    Can people like, chill?

This update wont be months like some of you are exaggerating about, Id say confidently we would see it next week.

Its an old old game with a "spaghetti" code and a not that big developer team. This isnt Dota 2, dont expect hotfixed out within an hour of a somewhat large update, thats just unreasonable for SSG and Lotro imo

And also chill with the critique towards devs and coord. AFAIK they dont make decisions around here, the LI system could be fixed in a day most likely by any number of devs but its not their choice to do that, or exactly when they can shutdown for an update

And if all the rumours are true and us raiders are a super small fraction of the playerbase, then I, in SSG's footsteps, would definitely not stop everything and just get this one issue fixed.
    Yea why dont people just chill,esp those that pay sub and mostly/only raid.Go away for few weeks let the sub run.Defend company that repetedly makes mistakes like this,chill for few years where we get no answers to any of the game problems.Keep in mind these are few key things that are ignored for 3-4 years.Bunch of highschool kids would do better job that these incompeten devs,cms and rest of them.
    Only reason they are in still runing is because this is lotr,and there will always be people to support #### system hehe keys hehe lis dumping 1000s on stuff like that in store outvoicing subscription players to the point where you cant get alt to lvl cap where majority of player base is and enjoy game unless you either spend said 1000s or play 24/7 and fund it with previous alts.There was no excuse to nerf CoS to 0 scrolls from 10-12 on challenge outside of pissing in playerbase face.Mt daily award near same amount for less work.There is 0 reason to not give dailys or increase number of scrolls in current lvl 120 content outside of milking system as much as possible but hey lets just chill.There is 0 reason to keep trait points gated behind outdated quests outside to anoy playerbase or force them to speed up process by buying tomes from store.Borderline scaming insulting company that feeds of its playerbase like parasite using Tolkien world as foundation.In any sane world this would be ilegal.But better to chill.Just look in newest LI thread 17 pages atm and what did it get from devs,insulting reply by clueless CM about a thing that has absolutly nothing to do with LIs.But I guess they are reading it hehe rework coming 2020 and people buy it.And addition of new virtues that are on LIs grind lvl if you want to max them out hehe but you dont need to argument incoming,I dont need to play either and that is whats happening with good amount of players but it doesnt matter 90% of players this concerns already left and 10% will follow soon.Then those that are not so bothered with this now will start to get bothered and leave as well till inevetable shutdown of game comes that will at that point be in most laughable and pathetic state any game/project or whatever has been where anyone that had anything to do with it will never get another job and will be shamed for rest of their lives.
    And I am not trying to insult anyone here just saying the thruth no matter how harsh it may seem.Unless that is ilegal in this world.
    Last edited by Osglinthor; Jun 13 2019 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisgrat View Post
    Dear developers. Just close these legendary servers with pseudo-nostalgic emotions that take away a lot of resources and break the game. By providing a simple cut-down content to hundreds of players, you break the game to many thousands.

That's the only reason I sub, and I'll bet, there are a lot more players than me that only sub because the LS is there. Probably not the best suggestion in the box. Sheesh, you'd think that these problems were a new thing, the way you've worded that. Trust, me - this is not new, it's been around a lot longer than the LS.

Just fix the raid. Job done.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    That's the only reason I sub, and I'll bet, there are a lot more players than me that only sub because the LS is there. Probably not the best suggestion in the box. Sheesh, you'd think that these problems were a new thing, the way you've worded that. Trust, me - this is not new, it's been around a lot longer than the LS.

Just fix the raid. Job done.
    No, make Legendary servers run on own code, so tinkering with it doesn't mess up the real servers, or just delete Legendar servers altogether, they've been a drain of resources/time from Live from day one, and introduce a steady stream of new problems, some game breaking, that wouldn't have happened otherwise.
    Arkenstone (formerly Landroval):
    Lizaveta, r13 Minstrel.

Eviliz Unseen, r11 Warg. Lizifer, r11 Defiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryam View Post
    No, make Legendary servers run on own code, so tinkering with it doesn't mess up the real servers, or just delete Legendar servers altogether, they've been a drain of resources/time from Live from day one, and introduce a steady stream of new problems, some game breaking, that wouldn't have happened otherwise.
    The raid is temporarily out of action. There are a lot of other things wrong too, but . . . The game is not broken. Please stop exaggerating.

Closing down two whole servers where every single player pays to play = not a great idea if you're concerned about resources.

The sky is still up where the sky always was. I've never heard such shenanigans - close some servers because there is a glitch in the raid.

We've had issues pop up elsewhere in game on the launch of raids in the past too, and announcements to say it's a glitch and will be sorted in next update. Nobody starting calling out for removal of the raids altogether though. Seriously, please pull yourself together. The next time I see a certain word aimed as a casual player, I'm going to laugh as I remember this post.

There's a lot of folks here that presumably don't spend their days debugging code, which is like a murder mystery where you are both murderer and detective. It can be a whole raft of work finding how A depends on B which depends on C which depends on D which depends on A, but maybe a different A in a different module...and how well commented and documented is it all when 12 different folk have tinkered over the last 9 months putting in patches?

Of course, if you do, and to you sorting this out is a trivial thing done between cups of coffee and checking up on the Cricket World Cup then send your CV to SSG, I'm sure they would be glad to have your input:-)

From my alter ego of a grumpy old programmer who gets a lot of this nonsense from bean counters with no data skills.
    Mithithil Ithryndi

Just to reiterate, we have indeed found a bug causing this, and a fix will hopefully be in the next game update.
    Hell, just revert the last update.
    Something like this should be worth a hotfix (I would even say an immediate one) and not wait for another update in a couple of weeks.

I can understand that mistakes happen, but one should also learn from it and not do the same mistakes over and over again. Take some consequences and furthermore correct your mistakes before you go on with daily business.
    Mirthan, Belegaer, formerly Anduin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    The raid is temporarily out of action. There are a lot of other things wrong too, but . . . The game is not broken. Please stop exaggerating.

Closing down two whole servers where every single player pays to play = not a great idea if you're concerned about resources.

The sky is still up where the sky always was. I've never heard such shenanigans - close some servers because there is a glitch in the raid.

We've had issues pop up elsewhere in game on the launch of raids in the past too, and announcements to say it's a glitch and will be sorted in next update. Nobody starting calling out for removal of the raids altogether though. Seriously, please pull yourself together. The next time I see a certain word aimed as a casual player, I'm going to laugh as I remember this post.
    Legendary servers are dead in the water anyway, as they've already gone through the two best eras of the game, SoA and Moria, and will be reaching Rohan, enough said. Moreover, Legendary servers need to die, not just because one glitch in the raid, but because it results in tampering with everything from classes, because of abnormal issues that would never arise otherwise, Minstrels DPS being OP with Essences gear at lvl 60 cap, and the like, to nerfing all Vit/Morale Essences up to lvl 105 which makes Pel and other BB/EB harder when we're scaled down, etc, etc, etc. As I said, Legendary server code should be a totally different animal, so changes to them don't affect the real servers in any shape or form.
    Arkenstone (formerly Landroval):
    Lizaveta, r13 Minstrel.

Eviliz Unseen, r11 Warg. Lizifer, r11 Defiler.

We intend to have a fix live next week regarding difficulty of the Anvil of Winterstith.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Legendary servers are dead in the water anyway, as they've already gone through the two best eras of the game, SoA and Moria, and will be reaching Rohan, enough said. Moreover, Legendary servers need to die, not just because one glitch in the raid, but because it results in tampering with everything from classes, because of abnormal issues that would never arise otherwise, Minstrels DPS being OP with Essences gear at lvl 60 cap, and the like, to nerfing all Vit/Morale Essences up to lvl 105 which makes Pel and other BB/EB harder when we're scaled down, etc, etc, etc. As I said, Legendary server code should be a totally different animal, so changes to them don't affect the real servers in any shape or form.
    By the same token then, they should completely kill off PvMP too then right? Aye, thought not.

Unbelievable. Thou art incorrect and wrong in several major points. Let me break it for thee:

1) Legendary servers are far from dead, while the population is not booming as it was in November/December it is still on-going quite well, Ironically the PvMP has far less players and at least haldof them do not even pay for VIP instead they are eternally premium and log to their monsters which has tiny precious little or no benefit for Standing Stone Games unless they use Store on occasion while one must and will be forced to subscribe in order to experience and play on the legendary servers.

2) I might agree partially with you about best areas in game, Shadows of Angmar and Mines of Moria, But Siege of Mirkwood was superb and Rise of Isengard was still great its on unique way, Every single expansion and update have positive points,Mirkwood for me rpersonally was the second greatest expansion,Rohan arrives not so soon after all, approximately 6 minimum to 8 months I can agree a bit about Legendary servers on catching regular and in such point I might abandon the ship unless they give me extremely strong reason to stay on Legendary server since I do not want double grind on both Regular and Legendary,but its far from over.

3) What makes you so sure Legendary servers are cause of all woes and issues for regular servers and they might be interfering with other classes? You cannot know for sure nor I have seen any official response on such subject. Yea and it is the same on Regular servers, if you lock the XP and restrict your character to 60 and be "overpowered" as you have stated.

Once more you are not a developer nor you can be 100% positive about them affecting the regular servers. Admit it you do not love it. Speaking of the death, Monster play should be completely eliminated since it has terrible community {In game/forums wise},abysmal quality ,constant complaints,call outs,horrific balance, the absence of updated gear,broken classes,multiboxers ,absurd grind required which will devour one's life , speaking of fair PvMP and so on... dreaded performance and we are stuck with same old zone for nearly 13 years. On majority of the words PvMP is completely desolate and even died out entirely. If there is one optima?l aspect in the game that should be erased tis the Monster play, not the Legendary servers.

Best Regards,
    Valainantiel,High Queen of the Noldor
    Last edited by Vanyaerunanethiel; Jun 14 2019 at 09:40 PM.

Probably should have just rolled back till you got the fix, specially since the grind for Rimes right now is pretty real with new area/crafting out. Probably would have gotten 5+ rimes and 16 Shards between my 4 toons, 1 full clear t3 and probably multiple clears of t2 during the week that wont be doing this week cause of the screw up. Not sure why Legendary is more important than the live servers. Think it would be the other way around. Just pretty bad timing for this to happen and there not to be a roll back TBH, tho the new gear is not needed anyway but Id like to make that gold while its hot. Going to compensate us some rimes and shards for the week? : ] Dont just give them to every one ether, should have to have t2 down to receive the compensation but that would probably be to tough to do meh, should have just rolled back, such a bummer. Hopefully it was worth it for the Legendary server. Pretty disappointed.

We intend to have a fix live next week regarding difficulty of the Anvil of Winterstith.
    That sounds better, thank you.
    Mirthan, Belegaer, formerly Anduin.

Quote Originally Posted by JoRDee View Post
    Probably should have just rolled back till you got the fix, specially since the grind for Rimes right now is pretty real with new area/crafting out. Probably would have gotten 5+ rimes and 16 Shards between my 4 toons, 1 full clear t3 and probably multiple clears of t2 during the week that wont be doing this week cause of the screw up. Not sure why Legendary is more important than the live servers. Think it would be the other way around. Just pretty bad timing for this to happen and there not to be a roll back TBH, tho the new gear is not needed anyway but Id like to make that gold while its hot. Going to compensate us some rimes and shards for the week? : ] Dont just give them to every one ether, should have to have t2 down to receive the compensation but that would probably be to tough to do meh, should have just rolled back, such a bummer. Hopefully it was worth it for the Legendary server. Pretty disappointed.
    If you want to farm them, it is still possible. A raid that has T3 on farm has the ability to do t2 (although a few might die, they still will be able to beat the boss and get the id) and than you can farm the side bosses (although the grim hits hard, it can be downed even with a pug)

it is not alone the raid, it is all instances sometimes much heavier. The moral pools and the damage is sometimes quite high

We should just fish instead

We don't need to worry about the raid getting fixed, nor do we need to worry about the LI's getting updated properly. Raiding might be a fraction of the playerbase but the true core of players aren't looking for raid content, they are looking for Fishing content. We need LI fishing poles, Fishing pole legacies. We got a Picnic Raid, How about a Fishing raid instead of fixing anvil. Leave it broken. Let's all just get along and fish to our hearts content.

https://imgur.com/a/Z4qX52B
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206010000136282/signature.png]Destroya[/charsig]
    Cweb-Rank 8 Burglar of atrocious skill

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    Can't help thinking SSG is relying on the players to be their QA department.
    This is how it's been since at least the player's council ceased to exist.

SSG team tries as hard as they can. they are underpaid and understaffed and i support them with my voice.

QA department = some devs + Palatir Group + Bullroarer Group + Live players.

Don't agree? just check the icon on Return to dale, a skill released in U22 on March 6th, 2018 (over 15 months ago)

plus1

Quote Originally Posted by Lisgrat View Post

I heartily agree. SSG team is trying as hard as they can to do their absolute best. I will continue to support them so long as the communication remains upfront and for as long as I am able to Financially.

But SSG team is stretched so thin. very understaffed and very underpaid, and under-budgeted.

And the business reality is that since VIP is required for LegendaryServer play, LegendaryServers always bring in more $$ than Live servers.

The reality is, even I, myself, as a non-LS player, benefit more from the existence of LS because the more $$ SSG has, the more they can budget for the live game.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniyel View Post
    I heartily agree. SSG team is trying as hard as they can to do their absolute best. I will continue to support them so long as the communication remains upfront and for as long as I am able to Financially.

But SSG team is stretched so thin. very understaffed and very underpaid, and under-budgeted.

And the business reality is that since VIP is required for LegendaryServer play, LegendaryServers always bring in more $$ than Live servers.

The reality is, even I, myself, as a non-LS player, benefit more from the existence of LS because the more $$ SSG has, the more they can budget for the live game.
    Out of curiosity do you have any evidence that SSG is stretched thin? As far as I am aware they have never admitted to being understaffed, underpaid or lacking a budget to produce the game.

I can understand people who are VIP and not interested in the legendary servers would be irate that the resources they contribute for the core game are going to service a minority and negatively impacts the core game they are paying to play.

I'd like to see Legendary server patches just hit the legendary servers and not impact the rest, the game as a whole is performing a lot worse under 24.1, they need to test things better before pushing them live, if the Anvil was dropping rimes like candy there would have been a hotfix or rollback immediately, because it negatively impacts players we can just suck it and see. That is a bad developer attitude towards it's paying customers.

I am not convinced it is just old code that is the problem. The same problems just keep cropping up over and over again. I was happy that SSG fixed that problem when clicking objects/npcs you were interrupted by other people clicking it after you, it seems to have come back with 24.1 sadly, it is very annoying in places like the new vales dailies where the channel to activate item takes forever and you are constantly interrupted by other players running in and clicking on stuff.

24.1 should never have seen the light from internal testing, how something as bad as this continually slips through the cracks is disturbing, customers shouldn't accept it, SSG should have more pride in their work that they don't shovel out bug ridden updates, put it on bullroarer and when people report bugs fix them before launching it live. They don't even utilise the mechanism that exists to prevent these problems from occurring.
    Last edited by Zvim666; Yesterday at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zvim666 View Post
    Out of curiosity do you have any evidence that SSG is stretched thin? As far as I am aware they have never admitted to being understaffed, underpaid or lacking a budget to produce the game.

I can understand people who are VIP and not interested in the legendary servers would be irate that the resources they contribute for the core game are going to service a minority and negatively impacts the core game they are paying to play.

I'd like to see Legendary server patches just hit the legendary servers and not impact the rest, the game as a whole is performing a lot worse under 24.1, they need to test things better before pushing them live, if the Anvil was dropping rimes like candy there would have been a hotfix or rollback immediately, because it negatively impacts players we can just suck it and see. That is a bad developer attitude towards it's paying customers.

I am not convinced it is just old code that is the problem. The same problems just keep cropping up over and over again. I was happy that SSG fixed that problem when clicking objects/npcs you were interrupted by other people clicking it after you, it seems to have come back with 24.1 sadly, it is very annoying in places like the new vales dailies where the channel to activate item takes forever and you are constantly interrupted by other players running in and clicking on stuff.

24.1 should never have seen the light from internal testing, how something as bad as this continually slips through the cracks is disturbing, customers shouldn't accept it, SSG should more pride in their work that they don't shovel out bug ridden updates, put it on bullroarer and when people report bugs fix them before launching it live. They don't even utilise the mechanism that exists to prevent these problems from occurring.
    Correct, Customers should demand more from a service they are paying for. There are plenty of games to spend money and time on that more aggressively hotfix problems and better test their content before it goes live.

You currently have 1337 reputation point(s).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2