We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Wine client doesn't even appear in the dock.

So I downloaded from the latest link and followed the instructions here:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...55#post7937455.

The ring icon never appears in the dock, and install never begins...

As an fyi, I did have the game installed previously. About a week ago, I noticed it had suddenly doubled in size and was nearly filling my hard drive so I deleted it. I may have done something wrong. Not sure..

Any help is appreciated!

-j

Quote Originally Posted by sadrhino View Post
    So I downloaded from the latest link and followed the instructions here:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...55#post7937455.

The ring icon never appears in the dock, and install never begins...

As an fyi, I did have the game installed previously. About a week ago, I noticed it had suddenly doubled in size and was nearly filling my hard drive so I deleted it. I may have done something wrong. Not sure..

Any help is appreciated!

-j
    Hi Sadrhino, My suggestion would be to look at my post here: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ons-Client-V24. It does contains a bit more of details than Cordovan's and also has few tips and suggestion for know issue during/after the upgrade.

I cannot say why your old client ballooned up like you say, but I doubt it can interfere with the installation of the new client.

Let me know, how it goes, if you follow my instructions, or if you need further clarifications.

Quote Originally Posted by amosconi
    Hi Sadrhino, My suggestion would be to look at my post here: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ons-Client-V24. It does contains a bit more of details than Cordovan's and also has few tips and suggestion for know issue during/after the upgrade.

I cannot say why your old client ballooned up like you say, but I doubt it can interfere with the installation of the new client.

Let me know, how it goes, if you follow my instructions, or if you need further clarifications.
    Hi Amosconi... thanks for the help. I have some comments/questions on your instructions:

QUOTE=amosconi;7939623
    Download the Mac client from the official download page at https://www.lotro.com/en/game/download
    Move the "LOTRO.app" temporarily on your desktop. (if your application is called "lotroclient.app" you already have the new client and reinstalling will probably not help.
    Download the client again and copy "lotroclient.app" inside Applications[/QUOTE]

This gives me a file called lotrolive.dmg it does not give me LOTRO.APP. It appears in my download folder on my browser. When I click on it, it unpacks and asked me to drag the ring icon into the applications folder. In your example above, are you saying I should have two copies of the .dmg file?

Hi Amosconi... thanks for the help. I have some comments/questions on your instructions:

QUOTE=amosconi;7939623
    Download the Mac client from the official download page at https://www.lotro.com/en/game/download
    Move the "LOTRO.app" temporarily on your desktop. (if your application is called "lotroclient.app" you already have the new client and reinstalling will probably not help.
    Download the client again and copy "lotroclient.app" inside Applications
    This gives me a file called lotrolive.dmg it does not give me LOTRO.APP. It appears in my download folder on my browser. When I click on it, it unpacks and asked me to drag the ring icon into the applications folder. In your example above, are you saying I should have two copies of the .dmg file?[/QUOTE]

The file you download is the DMG, correct.

The LOTRO.APP is the old client (pre v.24), while the new client is called "lotroclient". The old client contains all the .dat and .datx inside itself and they can be copied to avoid a bit of download, but you can also delete the old client (LOTRO.APP) and download all the data again. It will work both ways.

When you open the DMG and copy "lotroclient" in the applications folder you are ready for the next step. (Afterward, the DMG file can be safely deleted, as it is no longer needed).

Let me know if I can provide additional details.

Ok, so the lotroclient, once I drag it to the application folder and click on it, never appears in the dock.

Ok, so the lotroclient, once I drag it to the application folder and click on it, never appears in the dock.
    Please quantify "Never" (does it appear and disappear immediately or not at all?)

Also, do you have a firewall or antivirus enabled? If so disable them.

Finally, is it possible that there is a permission request hiding under an open window (or in another space) and the process will not continue until you dismiss it?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by amosconi View Post
    Please quantify "Never" (does it appear and disappear immediately or not at all?)

Also, do you have a firewall or antivirus enabled? If so disable them.

Finally, is it possible that there is a permission request hiding under an open window (or in another space) and the process will not continue until you dismiss it?

Thanks!

It does not appear at all. No firewall/antivirus, no hidden windows...
    If I click "show package contents" and open the folder "MacOS" and click on the exec file I get this message in the terminal (I removed some personal info):

Last login: Sun Jun 9 21:04:46 on ttys000
    myname-MBP:~ myname$ /Applications/lotroclient.app/Contents/MacOS/lotro ; exit;
    python: can't open file '/Users/myname/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/script/invoker.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
    logout
    Saving session...
    ...copying shared history...
    ...saving history...truncating history files...
    ...completed.
    Deleting expired sessions...none found.

[Process completed]

It does not appear at all. No firewall/antivirus, no hidden windows...
    If I click "show package contents" and open the folder "MacOS" and click on the exec file I get this message in the terminal (I removed some personal info):

Last login: Sun Jun 9 21:04:46 on ttys000
    myname-MBP:~ myname$ /Applications/lotroclient.app/Contents/MacOS/lotro ; exit;
    python: can't open file '/Users/myname/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/script/invoker.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
    logout
    Saving session...
    ...copying shared history...
    ...saving history...truncating history files...
    ...completed.
    Deleting expired sessions...none found.

[Process completed]
    That is very strange.

When I did the same, I actually kickstarted the Wine Bottle download…

Can you try to create a new macOS admin user from system preferences and see if you have better luck in that one?

Alternatively, if you feel daring (and/or the new user does not help) you can create all the missing folders in your library folder to /Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/script/ and copy the invoker.py script from inside the resources/script/ folder (inside the package of lotroclient) to the script folder you have created and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by amosconi View Post
    That is very strange.

When I did the same, I actually kickstarted the Wine Bottle download…

Can you try to create a new macOS admin user from system preferences and see if you have better luck in that one?

Alternatively, if you feel daring (and/or the new user does not help) you can create all the missing folders in your library folder to /Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/script/ and copy the invoker.py script from inside the resources/script/ folder (inside the package of lotroclient) to the script folder you have created and try again.
    Creating a new macOS admin did the trick. I'd really like to know what caused it to not work on my regular profile, but, hey, just happy its working. Thanks for all the help!!! Really appreciate it. Was ready to bail!

Creating a new macOS admin did the trick. I'd really like to know what caused it to not work on my regular profile, but, hey, just happy its working. Thanks for all the help!!! Really appreciate it. Was ready to bail!
    great to hear it! About what could it be, I can think of at least two things:

• a problem with permission in your home folder
    • some third party tool interfering wit the download/operation of Lotro

but it was easier fixing it like this than otherwise.

now, about the (bad?) news: give the way the new lotro client works, installing it in a separate user should not allow you to use it in you main account. Let me know if you are ok with this or would prefer going back to have a single account.