We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

We Should Have Fewer Servers

With it being harder to group up with people, with less activity in the Moors, with a much smaller population than when the game first launched,

Why wouldn't we just go down to two servers? Maybe one for role playing and one for everyone else?

Seems silly to divide our population several ways when it is a lot harder to find people to level with and harder to find groups. It seems like an obvious solution.

They could just use the resources used to populate two servers into one, and we could be one big happy family.

Am I on to something or no?

where you here when they merged like 15 into the few we have today?
    it seems unlikely they'd condense it even more. it was kinda a fiasco

Quote Originally Posted by Talorwen View Post
    where you here when they merged like 15 into the few we have today?
    it seems unlikely they'd condense it even more. it was kinda a fiasco

I was around. As this point I just don't see why we need what we have now. I also don't see why it needs to be a fiasco with free transfers. But that's just me

I think the servers are fine as is, going down to two server isn't good idea cause you have French and German speaking servers with lots of players of that language, also at least on crickhollow the server population is fine, and shouldn't be hard to get a group to help with, and Laurelin i also play on seems fine as well, I don't know about other servers, but I don't think we need to downgrade to fewer servers.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

No to this idea. I am one of those players (or payers if you prefer) that have around 200 characters across the ten servers. Having to choose who to leave out (and many are bank alts) would not leave me with a happy feeling. Add to this the probability of increased lag makes this an unattractive solution. As an aside, being a soloist makes it easier to jump servers if one goes down (rarely) or gets heavy with lag (not rare enough), but I do sympathize with the grouping issues. It would be nice if there was a way to let characters from across servers interact in group environments.

-B

What servers have the most and the least population?

I'm just curious. Maybe my idea isn't good. Just throwing it out there

Quote Originally Posted by ReppinGod View Post

Laurelin currently sits between 300-500 players, not including anon's (So probably closer to 400-600.) Its been hovering at this range for the past year or so. In my opinion this is a respectable server population.

I wouldn't touch the server count until after Minas Morgul is released. Expansions usually bring back players. And since Minas Morgul will include Shelob and the end of the Mordirith/Gothmog story (which started back at launch in SoA.) the Minas Morgul expansion has a chance to be a decent expansion.

If SSG did condense the servers to 2-4, then released Minas Morgul and thousands of players returned to the game, you would have overcrowded laggy servers which would ruin the expansions experience.

So like I said, I would stick with the 10 servers, release Minas Morgul then look at player counts a few months after. Maybe next summer then decide what to do.

If anything... I would say that the EU servers are where they need to be.... this is because the 5 are split over 3 different languages.

However, I can understand that the US servers may be more of an issue as that population is spread over all of them with no real distinction in terms of what they are. Yeah Landy is RP(e) but it means little to anyone wanting to start to play the game... But as my only US characters are on Landy then maybe other US world occupants would like to comment on whether their worlds seem empty?
    ----A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything----

I Fear thou cans't. Having Lord of The Rings Online Mega-server will prevent one for logging in. Having less servers in general will cause a great disturbance and many problems with performance and game stability. The most simple solutions can be nigh impossible or impossible to implement,Server cutting wont help,It will completely destroy the game. Server will not able to handle the enormous amounts of players.
    Read the biography for further details. My spirit burns as flame.

1/2

NA Servers

Server: [DE]Gwaihir, Kinship: Hecki Hecki Pateng

2/2

EU Servers

Source: http://lux-hdro.de/hdro-live.php
    Server: [DE]Gwaihir, Kinship: Hecki Hecki Pateng

I don't think population is the problem, I think the biggest issue is the way people choose to play.

Having been a member of a LARGE kinship, and also having ran a SMALL one myself, I know that it is easy to find groups every single day for all sorts of content when in a larger kinship. In larger kinships, people often don't go out to what is often called the "cesspool of /world" to get additional group members, because of the unreliability of getting decent players.... so there IS a lot of grouping, but you would have to be a member of a larger kinship.

This of course does not help members of smaller social kinships that really do NOT want to leave where they are - and understandably so - and as such for group content almost always have to turn to /world to find any type of group content. The same is true for people that do not wish to be in any kinship. The new instance finder MIGHT help with this, but I have honestly not tried it yet. But when I checked a few days ago, there were 9 or so groups looking for members.

One other solution that might help filling groups if you are a small kinship.... is to implement a "ally" system where kinship can form an alliance. The kinships would all remain their own identity, but a "ally" channel (/a or /ally) would be added where all allied kinships can chat and find team members. This would allow a number of smaller kinships to form an alliance for the purpose of finding group members that you know and probably aren't going to troll, mess up, or ninja loot.

As far as merging more servers go.... it's going to be tricky. There are people with toons on all servers, and having to BUY more character slots if they were to merge from e.g..... 5 US, 5 EU, 2 LEG to say.... 3 US, 3 EU, 1 LEG....would cause some issues. If you have e.g. 12 character slots and you have 12 toons on each server... where are 24 toons going to go, or do you need to buy 24 character slots to spread them across servers?

And with less servers, there are less available names.... I got lucky on most of my toons when I moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone because we were the SECOND server allowed to move, being one of the lowest population at the time.... but the further things went along, the more people lost names..... by the time Meneldor was allowed to move (another server I had toons on), there were people who lost ALL of their names and had a -1 behind all of them. Going from say 5 servers to 3 servers is going to cause a lot more naming issues.

Of course on the EU side its a whole different story. Where on the US side they may decide to say... close ONE server, e.g. Gladden because it has the lowest population, and allow everyone to move to one of the other 4 servers....it's not going to be that easy on the EU side, because they support 3 languages.... and have 2 English, 2 German and 1 French. They could technically go to 1 English, 1 French, 1 German, but in reality it would likely mean grossly overpopulated English and German servers, and it would do nothing for the French.

The only way I could truly see them merging servers once more.... is if they figure out how to merge EU and US servers which is currently not technically possible due to database incompatibilities. If they can do THAT, they can spread the entire population over say.... 5 English, 1 German, 1 French, and it would allow people "stuck" on either time zone servers to move around and resettle. Right now though.... that isn't possible.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Thumbs down

No.

With the archaic character naming system LoTRO has it is not fun to have ones character lose their name and get a -1 or -2 behind it (or having to change the name and most names being taken anyway) due to someone else having that name on the server You move to due to server merges.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    No.

With the archaic character naming system LoTRO has it is not fun to have ones character lose their name and get a -1 or -2 behind it (or having to change the name and most names being taken anyway) due to someone else having that name on the server You move to due to server merges.
    I feel the same way. Not not only names, kin names too.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I feel the same way. Not not only names, kin names too.
    Same here, I would not want to see -1 on names, especially my kinship which has been around and active since day one when our server first opened up back in 2010 when they added new servers.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    This of course does not help members of smaller social kinships that really do NOT want to leave where they are - and understandably so - and as such for group content almost always have to turn to /world to find any type of group content. The same is true for people that do not wish to be in any kinship. The new instance finder MIGHT help with this, but I have honestly not tried it yet. But when I checked a few days ago, there were 9 or so groups looking for members.

One other solution that might help filling groups if you are a small kinship.... is to implement a "ally" system where kinship can form an alliance. The kinships would all remain their own identity, but a "ally" channel (/a or /ally) would be added where all allied kinships can chat and find team members. This would allow a number of smaller kinships to form an alliance for the purpose of finding group members that you know and probably aren't going to troll, mess up, or ninja loot.
    This.

I try to throw support in whenever an ally kinship system is proposed.

I match the problematic case here. Most of my toons are tied up in a family kinship. The kin and the kinhouse mean a lot to my 8yo daughter, but it makes broader kin activities difficult. I'd like to be able to do both.

Partly the problem is that I soloed for years before discovering the fun of grouping. Otherwise I'd've probably organized differently. I'm sure there are many other stories.
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Victory's Secret: Ardith Exhibitionaire (Woman Captain)
    Feel the Breeze! Naked Aventuring: http://www.lotro.com/forums/showthre...endary-servers

With it being harder to group up with people, with less activity in the Moors, with a much smaller population than when the game first launched,

Why wouldn't we just go down to two servers? Maybe one for role playing and one for everyone else?

Seems silly to divide our population several ways when it is a lot harder to find people to level with and harder to find groups. It seems like an obvious solution.

They could just use the resources used to populate two servers into one, and we could be one big happy family.

Am I on to something or no?
    Don't worry, as the game continues to bleed the casual players I'm sure there will be another server consolidation.