We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Do I need to uninstall the old client? No one's said specifically that I caught.
    Setting Fire to Middle Earth since 2011
    -Crickhollow-
    NiennaNir, Ecthelor, Laerithil, Indelin, Nyarinya

Quote Originally Posted by NiennaNir View Post
    Do I need to uninstall the old client? No one's said specifically that I caught.
    No, you can have the Wine beta version and the latest download installed at the same time. However, I believe the install updates some of the support files in "Library/Application Support" so not sure if the Wine beta version will still work after you install the new version.

Quote Originally Posted by Anaxapart View Post
    I was pretty certain I hadn't downloaded the Beta, but from what you say it looks as though I may have. is there any way of confirming this? Failing that, what exactly do I have to re-download? Just Wine? And if so, where from? I fervently hope it doesn't mean I must download the entire game all over again...
    For me, if you do a "Get Info" on the Lotro application that's using the Wine beta, the Version will be "23". The latest download has Version "24". Also, the Wine beta version has a Creeated/Modified date of April 3 while the latest download has a Created/Modified date of June 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland_Deschain View Post
    For me, if you do a "Get Info" on the Lotro application that's using the Wine beta, the Version will be "23". The latest download has Version "24". Also, the Wine beta version has a Creeated/Modified date of April 3 while the latest download has a Created/Modified date of June 20.

Thanks, your help is appreciated. My version is dated April 3, so unfortunately that confirms it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland_Deschain View Post
    Thanks! I have multiple computers over here running the game and that's an easy enough check. I think I installed the wine client just before the Vales release which would have been end of May-ish because I had to in order to continue playing the game and I wanted the wine client online before the release dropped. I am baffled as to why none of us were ever told about any of this.

All of you who have helped deserve a pat on the back as far as I'm concerned. I'm absolutely swamped at work right now and I would have been weeks getting it sorted on my own just from frustration and lack of energy to meddle with it.
    Setting Fire to Middle Earth since 2011
    -Crickhollow-
    NiennaNir, Ecthelor, Laerithil, Indelin, Nyarinya

My experience

Maybe this will help some out there understand things a bit better - here's how it played out for me:

First off I'm on an iMac with Mojave v. 10.14.5 with an 8 core processor.

1. Definitely use Activity Monitor (AM) (in the Utility folder) and *not* the Force Quit option off the Apple menu.

2. Grab a version of the Lotro Mac Client from the Lotro site. It's been going through updates so I'd be sure and get the latest download. I had tried on a lotro client I downloaded a few days ago and I couldn't get it to work (although I wasn't aware of this thread yet and thus had no idea how to troubleshoot it)

2. Fire up Activity Monitor.

3. Fire up your lotro client.

4. In Activity Monitor I saw 6 or 7 threads with the aforementioned name "wine-preloader":
    - They were all showing the exact same amount of CPU%.
    - I just started killing them off one by one until they were all gone and voila! My Lotro client moved past the directX download.
    - I'm now downloading files again... let's hope this works or it's back to my sucky windows PC.

I've been playing lotro for the last 7 years on an nVidia GT(X?) 650 on the dreaded and much hated Windows 8 OS - can't wait to see how it looks on my iMac with a better GPU!

Unfortunately, I hd to download the entire game with new launcher as well.

Fortunately I have a decent download speed so the whole process maybe lasted hour half.

Now when I click the Lotroclient icon, a small white box flashes up for maybe a few seconds, its called Python I believe and then it starts the normal wine preloader launcher as before.

Just would make a few comments, the gams seems to be running and loading quicker, I did the full install including all the hi res files, something I didn't do before and the game looks really nice in 64 bit mode.

Hope everyone can jump in, its worth the effort for reinstalling the game.

HTH.
    Irulian Fairmeadow - Elven Rune Keeper
    "When the battle goes ill and the sky darkens - look for the healer, for I will come to your aid - that is my pledge"

The german and teh french download page refers to a different source than the English page:

english page

Code:
    https://lotro.com/en/game/download

PC http://live.lotro.com/sites/clientdl/lotro/lotrolive.exe

MAC http://live.lotro.com/sites/clientdl/lotro/lotrolive.dmg
    german and french page

Code:
    https://lotro.com/de/spiel/download / https://lotro.com/fr/jeu/t%C3%A9l%C3%A9chargement

PC: http://content.turbine.com/sites/clientdl/lotro/lotrolive.exe

MAC: http://content.turbine.com/sites/clientdl/lotro/lotrolive.dmg
    The link on the german and french download-page may still offer the Beta WINE client.

Quote Originally Posted by Silorien View Post
    We are packaging a new DLL that needs to install with the launcher to address a problem that occurs when starting 64-bit clients. We made a modification about an hour ago that is now affecting the Wine launcher, and will soon follow-up with a change that should fix the problem. You will not need to delete anything or reinstall the game.
    It is Octo 7. I can't get the game beyond this choke. So are Macs just sol?

Reme
    mber, it is a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Krysstofur View Post
    It is Octo 7. I can't get the game beyond this choke. So are Macs just sol?
    The currently suggested workaround is to use Activity Monitor to Force Quit the wine-preloader processes. So, go to your Applications folder>Utilities (or cmd+shift+U from Finder)>double-click on Activity Monitor>sort processes by name>close out all wine-preloader processes by clicking on the process and then little stop button on the top left of the Activity Monitor window. You have to close out each wine-preloader process that you see in the Process Name list. And then the patching will continue like normal.

I had to quit the wine preloader from the activity monitor in order to get past the C++ redist install.

Likely not working as intended - so I thought I would share

Good luck

Did a full reinstall, but the problem is still here :'(
    Any suggestions?

??

Quote Originally Posted by BlueXiphoid View Post
    Did a full reinstall, but the problem is still here :'(
    Any suggestions?
    I've tried every thing on this thread and nothing works. I first starting playing this game when I was deployed to Kuwait in 2003-2004. I was getting close to 20 years. For all of you that have managed to keep the game working, have fun. I will miss you.

I've found a solution!

In Userpreferences.ini are a couple of lines. Removing those fixed the issue for me.

vcredist_x86-exe=2013-05-17T00:00:00Z
    dx9-2009-8-v3-exe=2013-05-10T00:00:00Z
    vcredist_x64-exe=2019-09-26T18:14:09Z

Source: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-client-on-Mac

Edit: It still seems to start the wine-preloader process which will consume 100%~ CPU even after you close the client.
    Last edited by BlueXiphoid; Oct 17 2019 at 03:17 AM.

Bullroarer problem.

This same message seems to now be popping up in the beta testing for the Minas Morgul Expansion. Is there a way to fix it here also?

Hello

I have been a lotro player for more then 8 years now and i have always done it on a macbook early 2015. Needles to say then i have had my fair share of what going on with the mac clients.
    Now to start i play this toghether with my brother (he has exactly the same mac) so i have 2 situations.

First one is mine:
    I had the same situation as discribed in this thread
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...0-Package-quot

I was able to fix it as they said by force stopping the extra wine preloader that pops up in you system activity. (Yes you have to do this every time) so this is a temporary solution.
    This works for me. I hope for the guys that this solution didn’t work they find something. Idd as discribed before that the font was idd more “blocky” and all the small glitches that came with it. Honestly i’m already happy that i can play again cuzz no joke me and my brother really were about th sunscribe as VIP but then all of this happened. Now the problem is that my brothers version (witch i downloaded and installed myself on his mac from the cordovan thread. So in theory it should be identical i think —> nope.

Second mac situation:

He has the same problem as discribed in this thread

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...to-Mac-desktop

So for him it does run the launcher, he can log in and select a server but as soon as he clicks play he gets that command “getting in line to connect”.
    It flashes up really quick and then crashes. So i went to the options and selected that the launcher window should stay open when launched, so as soon as d now and crashed it went back to the log in menu. (Idd you can’t check the checkboxes,they don’t stay gray or something. but if you click em and press ok the do seem to work.)
    I re-installed this 3 times on his mac and still the same.
    Note: the downloader crashes aswell sometimes. But in my experience this has always been the case and as long as you shut down all other programs and just let your mac work on the download you schould be fine.
    Note: In the thread of the second problem Psychealpha isn’t talking about the same problem

I hope this can be of some assistance to find a solution!

And now that i’m saying something! Thx you guys! You have helped me through many of year f lotro mac struggles. I have always found a solution on this forum by any one of you guys. Now i hope we do the same!

Greetings

Ortrygg Feldunost of the seven stars

Quote Originally Posted by wil354 View Post
    I had the same situation as discribed in this thread
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...0-Package-quot
    Your thread links seem to be cut off. This one doesn't work. I know which one you mean though.

Quote Originally Posted by wil354 View Post
    I was able to fix it as they said by force stopping the extra wine preloader that pops up in you system activity. (Yes you have to do this every time) so this is a temporary solution.
    This sounds like you don't have the production version of the wine client. Did you download your client from here: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/download

The beta client that was downloaded from a forum link has the memory leak that can be fixed by deleting extra wine preloader processes. That problem doesn't exist in the production client.

Make sure your brother also has the production client.
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Mithril League: Ardith (Woman Captain)
    Learning to raid on Anor https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...League-Kinship

Quote Originally Posted by Thrordor View Post
    I figured out a work-around similar to the above. When you open "Activity Monitor" about 10 .exe process will be opened on the left-most column under 'Process Name'. Click on each of these individually and force-quit them until they are all gone. Go back to the wine-preloader and you should be able to login.
    Soo I have just finished downloading the game for the first time, and this message is showing up. it hasn't moved, and Im afraid to try force closing it, and when I go into the Activity moniter, there are no extra .exe files that I can see. What do I do?! As a new player trying to get into the game, I would like to have an answer to this unfortunate problem! please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Dqrk_Mqge View Post
    Soo I have just finished downloading the game for the first time, and this message is showing up. it hasn't moved, and Im afraid to try force closing it, and when I go into the Activity moniter, there are no extra .exe files that I can see. What do I do?! As a new player trying to get into the game, I would like to have an answer to this unfortunate problem! please help!
    December 2019 and having the same problem... I've force quit and restarted, deleted the client and reinstalled, and every time I get hung up on Installing "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)"...

Activity Monitor and the Force Quit menu don't show any extra .exe files to quit and there's no indication any kind of installation is actually happening. I just want to play this game. If there's anything anyone can recommend, it would be much appreciated.

Unhappy I have tried this solution about 10times before giving up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cydrith View Post
    Based on this, you're running the beta version of the wine client. It now looks as follows:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

BUNDLERESOURCEPATH="$(dirname "$0")/../Resources"
    cd "$BUNDLERESOUCEPATH"

bash -c "python \"$BUNDLERESOURCEPATH/script/setup.py\""
    You can obtain the new version here

We are investigating the possibility of displaying a message prompting the user to upgrade if they are still using the beta client.
    I just had so-called MAC client crash and found out its not MAC coding at all but Microsoft coding with the MAC option download. That is why it will not work for MAC users of this game. sigh. The Microsoft c++ redistributable package is hahaha you guessed it “Microsoft”. It says it in the text before getting to the login phase in and of itself. Mac does not use .exe files that is Microsoft all the way. Just to clarify everything.
    Last edited by LordMadgod; Feb 06 2020 at 12:51 AM.

This problem still persists

So after managing to install everything, I am constantly stuck on a splash screen waiting for Microsoft Visual C++ to be installed. I tried all the steps in this thread and had no success. It would be really good if someone can provide a working solution, because now playing on Mac is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by toolatka View Post
    So after managing to install everything, I am constantly stuck on a splash screen waiting for Microsoft Visual C++ to be installed. I tried all the steps in this thread and had no success. It would be really good if someone can provide a working solution, because now playing on Mac is not possible.
    I just worked through this. As others in this thread earlier mentioned, open activity monitor and quit the instances of wine preloaded. That will allow the client to finish updating. I now have the login screen and am returning to Middle-Earth after too long away.

worked for me! Thanks

[QUOTE=CrazyFool;7997893]I just worked through this. As others in this thread earlier mentioned, open activity monitor and quit the instances of wine preloaded. That will allow the client to finish updating. I now have the login screen and am returning to Middle-Earth after too long away.[/QU

Thanks for your message, but when I try to do that it simply kills the client, so I don't know how to actually do it. I already gave up, but now I want to go back and try again, but really I have no idea how to kill that exact process without killing the client as well. There is several wine preloader threads, but if I kill them one by one nothing happens, until only one is left and that's the client itself.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4