We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Do I need to uninstall the old client? No one's said specifically that I caught.
    Setting Fire to Middle Earth since 2011
    -Crickhollow-
    NiennaNir, Ecthelor, Laerithil, Indelin, Nyarinya

Quote Originally Posted by NiennaNir View Post
    Do I need to uninstall the old client? No one's said specifically that I caught.
    No, you can have the Wine beta version and the latest download installed at the same time. However, I believe the install updates some of the support files in "Library/Application Support" so not sure if the Wine beta version will still work after you install the new version.

Quote Originally Posted by Anaxapart View Post
    I was pretty certain I hadn't downloaded the Beta, but from what you say it looks as though I may have. is there any way of confirming this? Failing that, what exactly do I have to re-download? Just Wine? And if so, where from? I fervently hope it doesn't mean I must download the entire game all over again...
    For me, if you do a "Get Info" on the Lotro application that's using the Wine beta, the Version will be "23". The latest download has Version "24". Also, the Wine beta version has a Creeated/Modified date of April 3 while the latest download has a Created/Modified date of June 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland_Deschain View Post
    For me, if you do a "Get Info" on the Lotro application that's using the Wine beta, the Version will be "23". The latest download has Version "24". Also, the Wine beta version has a Creeated/Modified date of April 3 while the latest download has a Created/Modified date of June 20.

Thanks, your help is appreciated. My version is dated April 3, so unfortunately that confirms it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland_Deschain View Post
    Thanks! I have multiple computers over here running the game and that's an easy enough check. I think I installed the wine client just before the Vales release which would have been end of May-ish because I had to in order to continue playing the game and I wanted the wine client online before the release dropped. I am baffled as to why none of us were ever told about any of this.

All of you who have helped deserve a pat on the back as far as I'm concerned. I'm absolutely swamped at work right now and I would have been weeks getting it sorted on my own just from frustration and lack of energy to meddle with it.
    Setting Fire to Middle Earth since 2011
    -Crickhollow-
    NiennaNir, Ecthelor, Laerithil, Indelin, Nyarinya

My experience

Maybe this will help some out there understand things a bit better - here's how it played out for me:

First off I'm on an iMac with Mojave v. 10.14.5 with an 8 core processor.

1. Definitely use Activity Monitor (AM) (in the Utility folder) and *not* the Force Quit option off the Apple menu.

2. Grab a version of the Lotro Mac Client from the Lotro site. It's been going through updates so I'd be sure and get the latest download. I had tried on a lotro client I downloaded a few days ago and I couldn't get it to work (although I wasn't aware of this thread yet and thus had no idea how to troubleshoot it)

2. Fire up Activity Monitor.

3. Fire up your lotro client.

4. In Activity Monitor I saw 6 or 7 threads with the aforementioned name "wine-preloader":
    - They were all showing the exact same amount of CPU%.
    - I just started killing them off one by one until they were all gone and voila! My Lotro client moved past the directX download.
    - I'm now downloading files again... let's hope this works or it's back to my sucky windows PC.

I've been playing lotro for the last 7 years on an nVidia GT(X?) 650 on the dreaded and much hated Windows 8 OS - can't wait to see how it looks on my iMac with a better GPU!

Unfortunately, I hd to download the entire game with new launcher as well.

Fortunately I have a decent download speed so the whole process maybe lasted hour half.

Now when I click the Lotroclient icon, a small white box flashes up for maybe a few seconds, its called Python I believe and then it starts the normal wine preloader launcher as before.

Just would make a few comments, the gams seems to be running and loading quicker, I did the full install including all the hi res files, something I didn't do before and the game looks really nice in 64 bit mode.

Hope everyone can jump in, its worth the effort for reinstalling the game.

HTH.
    Irulian Fairmeadow - Elven Rune Keeper
    "When the battle goes ill and the sky darkens - look for the healer, for I will come to your aid - that is my pledge"

The german and teh french download page refers to a different source than the English page:

english page

Code:
    https://lotro.com/en/game/download

PC http://live.lotro.com/sites/clientdl/lotro/lotrolive.exe

MAC http://live.lotro.com/sites/clientdl/lotro/lotrolive.dmg
    german and french page

Code:
    https://lotro.com/de/spiel/download / https://lotro.com/fr/jeu/t%C3%A9l%C3%A9chargement

PC: http://content.turbine.com/sites/clientdl/lotro/lotrolive.exe

MAC: http://content.turbine.com/sites/clientdl/lotro/lotrolive.dmg
    The link on the german and french download-page may still offer the Beta WINE client.

Quote Originally Posted by Silorien View Post
    We are packaging a new DLL that needs to install with the launcher to address a problem that occurs when starting 64-bit clients. We made a modification about an hour ago that is now affecting the Wine launcher, and will soon follow-up with a change that should fix the problem. You will not need to delete anything or reinstall the game.
    It is Octo 7. I can't get the game beyond this choke. So are Macs just sol?

Reme
    mber, it is a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Krysstofur View Post
    It is Octo 7. I can't get the game beyond this choke. So are Macs just sol?
    The currently suggested workaround is to use Activity Monitor to Force Quit the wine-preloader processes. So, go to your Applications folder>Utilities (or cmd+shift+U from Finder)>double-click on Activity Monitor>sort processes by name>close out all wine-preloader processes by clicking on the process and then little stop button on the top left of the Activity Monitor window. You have to close out each wine-preloader process that you see in the Process Name list. And then the patching will continue like normal.

I had to quit the wine preloader from the activity monitor in order to get past the C++ redist install.

Likely not working as intended - so I thought I would share

Good luck

Did a full reinstall, but the problem is still here :'(
    Any suggestions?

??

Quote Originally Posted by BlueXiphoid View Post
    Did a full reinstall, but the problem is still here :'(
    Any suggestions?
    I've tried every thing on this thread and nothing works. I first starting playing this game when I was deployed to Kuwait in 2003-2004. I was getting close to 20 years. For all of you that have managed to keep the game working, have fun. I will miss you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4