We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Mac client (Wine): Issues and possible solutions

Hi,

The following is a description of the issues I have been having with the wine version of the Mac Client and maybe for some, possible solutions.

I am a life time subscriber and have been with the game almost since launch but had given up on playing it post update 24 due to the wine client.

I am using a top of the range 2017 iMac.

I had previously tried the wine client (about 6 weeks ago??) and found it quite bad in performance, the fan would ramp up to full speed as soon as I launched into the game, frame rates were bad even on the lowest settings. Looking at activity monitor revealed the wine client was running at 200+ %CPU without ever coming down.

This morning I thought I would give it one more try before uninstalling.

I found after launching the game did as previous tests and ramped up the fan almost immediately. I checked activity monitor and noticed there were two processes hogging the CPU usage, "wine64-preloader" and "tccd", according to activity monitor both were owned by the lotro app. I did a search for "tccd" and found the following information (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4165543), to summarise it is used by applications to gain access to the macOS built in contacts app. I have no idea why the wine client needs access to my contacts??? I force quit "tccd" a number of times but it would relaunch immediately, eventually it did stop at which point the fans slowed down and didn’t ramp up as much.

I decided to completely uninstall the lotro wine client and download the very latest one from here (https://www.lotro.com/en/game/download).

After it installed I launched the client and waited until the game loaded. I checked the activity monitor and found "tccd" was no longer being used by the wine client, I set the graphics to its lowest level (I intend to increase the levels over time) and found the iMac fans ramp up but not like the previous wine client and more in line with the native client did (only when entering a new area then it would reduce the fan speed). I am getting around 150+ fps at a crowded Ered Mithrin.

I have been testing for a couple of hours now and have found the fans do ramp up but not as much as it did previously, the "wine64-preloader" still consumes 200+ %CPU usage but doesn't stay at that level and reduces back down, it might be as it is a new client it is caching data when I enter a new area????

I will carry on testing and report back if I find anything unusual.

It might be worth completely removing the earlier wine client and any associated files before re-downloading the newest version, I might have got lucky but it worked for me.

I have run the new client in 32 bit and 64 bit with the same results.

I hope this helps people.

Thanks,

Andrew.

Hello. I have experienced more or less the same issues. Tccd start up and hog the system - moreover, it keeps running even after I have exited LOTRO, meaning I have to restart the computer. The fans were going like crazy this last time I played (on a brand new iMac) - I have never had the fans going like this, ever, on my former iMac (2011-model). This i very troublesome.

It seems that since Mojave was introduced there's been an issue in general with tccd-processes taking up too much CPU.

Please see if this can be solved, SSG. It really make the game unplayable, since I have to restart the Mac every time I play.
    "The turtle is my trinket". Founder of Club Slowtro.
    Tolkien fan and LOTRO completionist, taking my time to see all the places. Clabauterman on Steam.

Hello again. After deleting the game entirely and installing the Mac client from scratch, I am getting great results from the 64-bit client. And no tccd stuff
    "The turtle is my trinket". Founder of Club Slowtro.
    Tolkien fan and LOTRO completionist, taking my time to see all the places. Clabauterman on Steam.