We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Installation instructions Client V24

Please follow the included instructions IF:

• You downloaded the client from cordovan post before the 4th of June.
    • Your client crashes or does not open
    • You are unable to complete the installation
    • You still try to connect using an older (pre v24) Mac client

If the application works but is slow, or crashes, reinstalling as per below might help, but it might be unrelated. Make sure anyhow to upgrade MacOS to the current version of Mojave before any other troubleshooting step.

1. Download the Mac client from the official download page at https://www.lotro.com/en/game/download
    2. Move the "LOTRO.app" temporarily on your desktop. (if your application is called "lotroclient.app" you already have the new client and reinstalling will probably not help.
    3. Download the client again and copy "lotroclient.app" inside Applications
    4. Launch "lotroclient.app": it will bounce for a wile and then appear inert for a long while (close to 10 minutes, but it depends on your internet connection). You can say that is working by opening Activity Monitor and, in the network tab, look for a "curl" process (the client is using curl to download the Wine installer in ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/)
    5. After a bit more you will see some windows, I have shared the screenshots on imgur
    6. click cancel on the dialogs in 2,3 and 4
    7. Select the language and click next in steps 5 and 6
    8. In step 7 leave "Express" selected and continue until the last dialog
    9. In step 11, click either yes or no, depending if you want the hires graphics
    10. The client should start downloading the data files required to run and everything should be in ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/StandingStoneGames/The Lord of the Rings Online/

Following the steps above will give you a small launcher app called lotroclient (about 1.7 MB) and a big folder in ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/ (about 38 GB) with the Wine Bottle
    If you have the files being installed as step 10 above, (and you have a copy of the old client) you can now quit the installer to copy the files from the "LOTRO.app" that you have moved to the desktop:

• Open the package and navigate to /Contents/Resources/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/StandingStoneGames/The Lord of the Rings Online/
    • If you have a pre-V24 client the path once you open the package is /Contents/Resources/The Lord of the Rings Online™/Contents/Resources/
    • Select all .dat and .datx files and the "raw" folder and copy them to ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/StandingStoneGames/The Lord of the Rings Online/
    • Restart the installer, it will take a few more minutes to finalise the installation and we should be good to go.

Other issues
    1. Launcher setting panel buttons unusable: The buttons are all white boxes with no feedback if an option is on or off. This was showed by zeroxes on video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIuP...ature=youtu.be. This is apparently a (cosmetic, the buttons do work) bug in the windows client of Lotro.

2. Font garbled in the launcher: Chances are you have some corrupted or duplicate font. This was first reported by BentoIce, see image: https://imgur.com/a/L55H4Lh - To attempt solving this issue, proceed as following:

• Open FontBook, click on "All Fonts" on the left. Then select all fonts in the middle column and finally, from the File Menu, select "Validate Fonts". It might take a while, depending on how many fonts you have.
      • Once it finishes, you will get a report of any potential problem: disable all problematic or duplicate fonts that are found
      • Restart the computer and engage Safe Mode (see https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201262 for more details). This process will clean some font caches, that could be corrupted.
      • Once booted restart again, to disable Safe Mode, and test the client.

3. What if I installed the additional files (Mono and Gecko) during Wine installation (Thanks to Elanthil): You should delete the respective items from the following folders

• Wine Mono: ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/windows/
      • Wine Gecko 32bits: ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/windows/system32
      • Wine Gecko 64bits: ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/windows/syswow64

4. LoTRO file on my desktop does not works: After the installation is completed two files are created on the desktop (The Lord of the Rings Online.lnk and The Lord of the Rings Online.desktop) this files only work on windows and can be safely deleted. If you want you can make an Alias yourself of the lotroclient.app and move it to the desktop or pin it in the dock or a the Finder windows.
    5. I have lost the Plugins folder: The location is the same used in Windows, and the "My Document" folder in WIN is remapped via Wine to the actual macOS Documents folder. The correct path for V24 is ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/Plugins/. You might have to create the Plugins folder and capitalisation used to be important for the folder to be recognised.
    Last edited by amosconi; Jun 10 2019 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks for the detailed instructions, amosconi!

Question - how do I move LOTRO.app to the desktop? All I'm getting when I drag it is an alias, and no right-click menu option to move it except to the trash.

Mine is in Applications folder. Should I copy it to the desktop and then delete the one in Applications folder?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenara View Post
    Thanks for the detailed instructions, amosconi!

Question - how do I move LOTRO.app to the desktop? All I'm getting when I drag it is an alias, and no right-click menu option to move it except to the trash.

Mine is in Applications folder. Should I copy it to the desktop and then delete the one in Applications folder?
    Yes that is doable. You can also copy the app (CMD-C), close the Applications window and then move it (CMD-OPT-V) to the desktop (or other open window)

Sorry to be a pest, can you add the correct download link to your post? That way we make sure we get the right one. Thank you!

Update: I used the link in this June 4 post by Cordovan: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...55#post7937455

Might be a good idea to use the link via his post, in the event it gets changed.

The update went just as you described. Thank you!

After I copied the . dat .datx and raw folder, it took the installer about 6 more minutes to finish.

For me the game looks the same. I had the LOTRO.app installation before, but for me the game always launched and ran. We'll have to see whether this resolves the freezing I was experiencing.

Of note, since we didn't do anything with the /Users/<username>/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences.ini and /Users/<username>/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences64.ini files, my in-game settings were as I had before re-installing.

I hope this install process solves some launch and run problems for others.
    Last edited by Jenara; Jun 06 2019 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenara View Post
    Sorry to be a pest, can you add the correct download link to your post? That way we make sure we get the right one. Thank you!

Update: I used the link in this June 4 post by Cordovan: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...55#post7937455

Might be a good idea to use the link via his post, in the event it gets changed.

The update went just as you described. Thank you!

After I copied the . dat .datx and raw folder, it took the installer about 6 more minutes to finish.

For me the game looks the same. I had the LOTRO.app installation before, but for me the game always launched and ran. We'll have to see whether this resolves the freezing I was experiencing.

Of note, since we didn't do anything with the /Users/<username>/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences.ini and /Users/<username>/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences64.ini files, my in-game settings were as I had before re-installing.

I hope this install process solves some launch and run problems for others.
    Great Jenara!

Yes, we'll see how it goes now. Finger crossed!

I have added the link, thanks! It was simple, as the official link is on the top right corner of this window, where it says "Download": at least for that they made it kinda of easy. Most of the problems popped out from the older version, the one they linked in Cordovan post before update 24 came out…
    Last edited by amosconi; Jun 07 2019 at 03:09 AM.

Welll .. I played for about 4 hours with the install you recommended above. No freezes, which is great! More time will be needed, but so far so good.

An amazing thing happened though .. the system is running much cooler now! Before re-installing v24 I was getting so much fan action the poor machine sounded like a jet engine taking off. Things have quieted down tremendously.

With the native client I was seeing fan speeds around 3 to 4k rpm, occasionally hitting near 5k when loading into heavily populated areas. With the first install the fans were running near 6k rpm (which I believe is max for this machine) almost constantly, even with all other programs shut down (minus a few apps, like fan control).

Typical (non game) environment sees the fans running around 2200.

In the 4 hrs I played with the new install, and the 64bit client, top speed was 5k, and that only for a little while. I was generally seeing 3.5 to 4k fan speeds during normal play, dropping down to my typical 2200 when the game was running in the background. That's right in line with what I was getting on the 32bit native client. For the huge bump in graphic quality with the 64bit client, that's great news!

I don't raid anymore so I have no idea what fan speeds that would cause, but I'm thrilled to death to see that the wine client isn't as processor-heavy as it seemed to be based on that first install.

Thanks for the great help, amosconi!

Forum monitors can we get this post pinned? Apparently it helps mac users solve a number of problems with the V24 wine client. Thanks!

Thanks very much for this post amosconi!

I accidentally downloaded the extra wine files from windows 2 3 4. Will that cause any problem?

And how can you change the launcher setting to 64-bits? Since the buttons are weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Elanthil View Post
    Thanks very much for this post amosconi!

I accidentally downloaded the extra wine files from windows 2 3 4. Will that cause any problem?

And how can you change the launcher setting to 64-bits? Since the buttons are weird.
    Hi Elanthil. The installer itself advise against downloading the extra files (I'm referring to the one depicted in images 2, 3, 4 from the ones I have uploaded), however I do not know if this will cause problems or will just wast time and bandwidth, I'm sorry.

Just to be on the safe side I would trash that (you can just rename the folder in ~/Application Support/ and the client will start the whole process again (just start from step 4 in my instructions, after you rename the folder).

About the launcher settings, is a widespread issue, although not fully acknowledged. And SSG developers will need to fix that, I'm afraid. The buttons are functional, but the GUI is broken and you get no feedback about what status the button is (on/off).

Added a separate thread to identify the mode you are in (32/64bits) and how to change from one to another. ? https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...n-64-or-32bits

Quote Originally Posted by amosconi View Post
    Hi Elanthil. The installer itself advise against downloading the extra files (I'm referring to the one depicted in images 2, 3, 4 from the ones I have uploaded), however I do not know if this will cause problems or will just wast time and bandwidth, I'm sorry.

Just to be on the safe side I would trash that (you can just rename the folder in ~/Application Support/ and the client will start the whole process again (just start from step 4 in my instructions, after you rename the folder).

About the launcher settings, is a widespread issue, although not fully acknowledged. And SSG developers will need to fix that, I'm afraid. The buttons are functional, but the GUI is broken and you get no feedback about what status the button is (on/off).
    Ah, okay. Which folder(s) exactly? I have [com.turbine.lotroclient], [com.standingstonegames.lotro], [WineBottler], and [Wine].

Thanks again.

For people who accidentally downloaded the extra Wine files, you can find the Wine Mono and Gecko folders in two places on mac:

1. In the game folder:
    Wine Mono: Application_Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/windows
    Wine Gecko: Application_Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/windows/system_32(and sys wow_64)
    2. In the general Wine folder:
    Wine Mono: Wine_files/drive_c/windows
    Wine Gecko: Wine_files/drive_c/windows/system_32

I deleted them and the game works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Elanthil View Post
    For people who accidentally downloaded the extra Wine files, you can find the Wine Mono and Gecko folders in two places on mac:

1. In the game folder:
    Wine Mono: Application_Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/windows
    Wine Gecko: Application_Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/windows/system_32(and sys wow_64)
    2. In the general Wine folder:
    Wine Mono: Wine_files/drive_c/windows
    Wine Gecko: Wine_files/drive_c/windows/system_32

I deleted them and the game works fine.
    Thanks Elanthil!

The folder I was referring to was com.standingstonegames.lotro. If you rename that and then open the launcher, it will create a new one and start the download process from scratch. But your solution is better!

I do not thing the general Wine folder plays any part in the LoTRO-Wine install, as is built to be self sufficient and completely self-contained.

I will update the post with your additional information. I'm glad is all solved now.

Happy gaming!
    Last edited by amosconi; Jun 08 2019 at 07:34 PM.

Making sure something is happening...

I'm trying the Wine client download for the first time (well, this is the first day I've had a chance to try it - multiple times in the last 10 minutes).

I have three files. The middle one looks like the old Mac client. My downloads just bounced between 2 non-icon files to 3 files, and is now back to 2.

Apologies for any stupid questions. I just got back from a week-long conference and have what we call Conference Brain. I've read the forums a few times and am not processing. I just hope my laptop is not doing the same thing.

Also: will the Wine that gets installed also allow me to run Star Trek Online or is it somehow Mac specific?

Quote Originally Posted by ElisabethK View Post
    I'm trying the Wine client download for the first time (well, this is the first day I've had a chance to try it - multiple times in the last 10 minutes).

I have three files. The middle one looks like the old Mac client. My downloads just bounced between 2 non-icon files to 3 files, and is now back to 2.

Apologies for any stupid questions. I just got back from a week-long conference and have what we call Conference Brain. I've read the forums a few times and am not processing. I just hope my laptop is not doing the same thing.

Also: will the Wine that gets installed also allow me to run Star Trek Online or is it somehow Mac specific?
    Hi Elisabeth.

When you launch the new installer it will appear as if is not doing anything for several minutes (it depend on your bandwidth, but up to 10-20 minutes).

To identify if it is working:

• open Activity Monitor (Utilities folder)
    • Select the network tab
    • look for a "curl" process (you can use the search box on the top right)

The launcher is using curl to download the Wine installer in ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/. If you have numbers going in the "Rcvd bytes", then you are good and you just have to wait.

Then continue with the instruction from my initial post.

Let me know if the above is clear

Many thanks for this! It is beautifully clear, but no "curl" file turns up. I also cleared the file title with my AntiVirus as I saw in another thread. lotrolive.dmg is at zero bytes, and the alphanumeric labeled file ending in .dmg.part is at 5.3 MB (file name changes when I have tried to restart the download, but not the size - FWIW)

Hi Elisabeth.

When you launch the new installer it will appear as if is not doing anything for several minutes (it depend on your bandwidth, but up to 10-20 minutes).

To identify if it is working:

• open Activity Monitor (Utilities folder)
    • Select the network tab
    • look for a "curl" process (you can use the search box on the top right)

The launcher is using curl to download the Wine installer in ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/. If you have numbers going in the "Rcvd bytes", then you are good and you just have to wait.

Then continue with the instruction from my initial post.

Let me know if the above is clear

Many thanks for this! It is beautifully clear, but no "curl" file turns up. I also cleared the file title with my AntiVirus as I saw in another thread. lotrolive.dmg is at zero bytes, and the alphanumeric labeled file ending in .dmg.part is at 5.3 MB (file name changes when I have tried to restart the download, but not the size - FWIW)
    I understand.

Apparently the download is not starting at all. The alphanumeric label is usually added by some browser when the download is in progress, but should then be removed when is completed.

Just to be sure, you are trying to download the Mac Client from https://www.lotro.com/en/game/download, is that correct?
    Try a different browser, maybe, or maybe just restart the computer. An antivirus, at times, could prevent a software download, so try again with it disabled.
    The size of the lotrolive.dmg file should be 5,262,461 bytes (to see the exact value, use the get info command in the finder File menu).
    Once the download is completed you should open the DMG file and copy the lotroclient.app in the Applications folder and then continue the process as described in my initial post.

Update

Hallelujah! I have a launcher and it is downloading!

For future folks in my initial situation:
    1. I disabled my antivirus for the process.
    2. Firefox didn’t work, so I switched to Safari.
    3. The requirement to launch Microsoft files detailed in another thread actually hid the Wine install mini-pop ups. The Microsoft demand cleared afterwards.

I’m leaving this to run while I play my church gig and hoping to test during my afternoon down time. Cross fingers!

Hallelujah! I have a launcher and it is downloading!

For future folks in my initial situation:
    1. I disabled my antivirus for the process.
    2. Firefox didn’t work, so I switched to Safari.
    3. The requirement to launch Microsoft files detailed in another thread actually hid the Wine install mini-pop ups. The Microsoft demand cleared afterwards.

I’m leaving this to run while I play my church gig and hoping to test during my afternoon down time. Cross fingers!
    Yeah!

Glad to hear you forced the client to obedience!

I'm crossing my fingers too, just in case…

Added Path to plugins in the "Other Issues" section.

mac errors

My Mac has been updated and the lotro client is dated 07 June 2019 , prior to down load the warning says windows 2000 high encryption pack is required, " but isn't my system a mac" is this right . Either way its doing nothing.

Can someone post the correct download link and step by step instructions for June 13th 2019 please on how to add a complete LOTRO client to my mac system.
    I'm usually a windows desktop user and totally lost and out of my depth. Pictures would be necessary and helpful. Also how much Hard Drive space will I need? Preferably with very few abbreviations too, this will help other understand as well as myself. How can I post a picture to show?
    Last edited by AussieLove; Jun 12 2019 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieLove View Post
    Can someone post the correct download link and step by step instructions for June 13th 2019 please on how to add a complete LOTRO client to my mac system.
    I'm usually a windows desktop user and totally lost and out of my depth. Pictures would be necessary and helpful. Also how much Hard Drive space will I need? Preferably with very few abbreviations too, this will help other understand as well as myself. How can I post a picture to show?
    Hi AussieLove, The correct link and the step by step instructions are at the very first post of this thread. It does include a link to several pictures (than need to be hosted externally - I used a service available at https://imgur.com (Imgur) to host the images: is free ands does not require sign in to post images).

You will ned about 40GB of total space for the installation.

Please use Imgur yourself to post images.

Let me know if you have specific questions after reading my post.

Hi AussieLove, The correct link and the step by step instructions are at the very first post of this thread. It does include a link to several pictures (than need to be hosted externally - I used a service available at https://imgur.com (Imgur) to host the images: is free ands does not require sign in to post images).

You will ned about 40GB of total space for the installation.

Please use Imgur yourself to post images.

Let me know if you have specific questions after reading my post.
    Stop to made the licker Amosconi.
    The true is that thre isn't a clean install available for MAC actually.
    You tying to endure the role of a substitute to a poor customer service from SSG.

What I want is simple. I want a client to simply clic on it, let it install the game and play!

I'm not an informatiker and I don't want to try to be one.

They made big s h i t with mac users and nothing come from us to resolve the problem.

What you try to made with trying to play superman is ridiculous and only show how SSG don't have the skill.

I'm really laughing when I see them release a U24.1 and still not new compiled client.

The message is simple, they not working to resolve MAC users issue. They don't care about it.

I don't care about U24.1, I just want a MAC client who don't make me crash every 30minutes!!!!!!! Clear!!!! Stupid SSG!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xraedd View Post
    Stop to made the licker Amosconi.
    The true is that thre isn't a clean install available for MAC actually.
    You tying to endure the role of a substitute to a poor customer service from SSG.

What I want is simple. I want a client to simply clic on it, let it install the game and play!

I'm not an informatiker and I don't want to try to be one.

They made big s h i t with mac users and nothing come from us to resolve the problem.

What you try to made with trying to play superman is ridiculous and only show how SSG don't have the skill.

I'm really laughing when I see them release a U24.1 and still not new compiled client.

The message is simple, they not working to resolve MAC users issue. They don't care about it.

I don't care about U24.1, I just want a MAC client who don't make me crash every 30minutes!!!!!!! Clear!!!! Stupid SSG!!!!!!
    xraedd, let make this VERY clear, I do not give a drop of bat guano about what you want.

Is not for you that I spend my time helping people in this forum.

Do I like v24? No, I don't.
    Do I like have a windows program running on my Mac? No, I don't.
    Do I complain with absolutely no point in a forum called "technical support"? No I don't.

I do look for solutions to mine and other people problems with the client.
    I do try to offer suggestions and workaround when a solution is not there.
    I do like playing LoTRO, no matter the problem it causes…

SSG do not provide technical support, so I'm not demonstrating anything about them, they simple ignore the problems.

I probably should have ignored you, like SSG will do, but strangely enough, I DO care about this weird community of players and I like to help the people in it, even when they have their head deep up their ars e…

If you want to complain, you are perfectly free to do it, but do not denigrate was other people does to help just because you don't like it, or you just do not understand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast