We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'm sorry, I deleted the old games totally, and I installed using new client, but I can't find the big com.standingstonegames.lotro folder and the wine folders (I also downloaded the wrong stuff at the first reinstallation of game). How can I solve this mess? Games crashes about every 30 minute, I'm on osx 10.14.5

Quote Originally Posted by Arco06 View Post
    I'm sorry, I deleted the old games totally, and I installed using new client, but I can't find the big com.standingstonegames.lotro folder and the wine folders (I also downloaded the wrong stuff at the first reinstallation of game). How can I solve this mess? Games crashes about every 30 minute, I'm on osx 10.14.5

Hi Arco,

You need to go inside the library folder in your user (which by default is hidden, my apologies).

From the Go Menu, select go to folder and type: /Users/andrea/Library/Application\ Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/

of course, replace "andrea" with your username.

This should allow to go in the proper folder to follow the rest of the instructions.

Let me know if you are still lost or need any clarifications.

Question Unable to play

Hi,

We have installed V24 of the Wine client on my wife's Macbook Pro. It launches properly and automatically applies game patches. She is able to log in and reach the server selection screen. When she clicks Play, the LOTRO launcher disappears and nothing else happens. The game will not start.

Has anyone else had this specific issue? All of the searches I have done result in mostly installation questions and people with random freezes and crashes. This one isn't random. It seems very specific, and I'm hoping someone has figured out this particular issue and will share their knowledge with me.

For the record, I found the instructions here: https://help.standingstonegames.com/...-the-launcher-
    The problem is, the only instruction that applied for people on Macs is to rename the Lord of The Rings Online folder. I tried that. I had to re-accept the license agreements after logging in. But still nothing after pressing Play.

I read in another thread someone mentioned the Wine LOTRO client doesn't work in Yosemite. Is there anyone on Yosemite with a functioning LOTRO client? My wife's Mac cannot upgrade past Yosemite.

Thanks.
    Jason
    Last edited by fdt93; Jun 29 2019 at 10:53 PM.

What version of OSX are you running?

I thought I saw that there might be an issue with older versions.
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Victory's Secret: Ardith Exhibitionaire (Woman Captain)
    Feel the Breeze! Naked Aventuring: http://www.lotro.com/forums/showthre...endary-servers

Reply to fdt93 & Echoweaver

Jason did you get running on Yosemite?
    I have exact same issue on Yosemite - Click "Play" -> "Getting in line to connect" -> Dead, no response, no message.
    Post "Login" will report that selected world status is "Up" and last played "Today" - after "Play" attempt.

I do note that launching "lotroclient.app" starts Python referenced as "lotroclient" then starts the "winepreloader" - two icons in dock.
    Right click lotroclient icon in dock after some moments will appear as "Application Not Responding" also when monitored from "Force Quit Applications" list.
    Tried Force Quit on lotroclient before hitting "Play" - no luck.
    Tried above and then re-launch lotroclient, no Python script window opens - lotroclient reappears but no "Application Not Responding" and will not Force Quit.

Initially was in default 32-bit and followed 64-bit instructions -> https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...n-64-or-32bits
    Have also followed all other tidbits on the forums, re-installed, repaired etc...

@Echoweaver - I can't find a macOS compatibility reference for the Lotro MacClient. If available to you can you share link to post referenced by you in this thread.

As others I am currently on Early 2009 MacPro so furthest macOS is El Capitan - will update OS at some point however Wine current version is supporting Mountain Lion with WineBottler citing Snow Leopard.
    Just before opening further mac update comments -> will be flashing firmware and reaching Catalina and overcome any associated issues in playing the game as I enjoy it and have thus far (since 2009) dealt with both Windows and Mac issues to continue my indulgent enjoyment.

Update 08 July:
    Tested on MBP Sierra = working -> never used before on this machine, seemed smooth.
    Updated MP to El Capitan = working -> seems smoother in general.
    Last edited by Gilgaladhorn; Jul 08 2019 at 02:58 PM.

Help

Hello!

Thank you so much for this post. I wished I had seen it before I got into the mess I have right now! I hope you can help me.

So, I was playing with the old mac client and then the new one came out and I installed it. I remember getting the Gecko messages and installing those things. When I tried to play, the game wouldn't start (it would crash after chosing the world and clicking on play). Then, someone told me I shouldn't have installed Gecko and I deleted the installation to start again. I deleted the old and the new client, not only from applications but also from applicaiton support and other files in the library. And then I tried to install it again, and now it won't work. It does no longer ask me the questions to install Wine, so something tells me I haven't fully uninstalled that. Also, the file that appears when I download the mac client from the web is not LOTRO.

What can I do to start anew and try to follow the instructions on this thread? I've tried asking game support but they told me to read the forums. So in my current state of despair any insight will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fdt93 View Post
    Hi,

We have installed V24 of the Wine client on my wife's Macbook Pro. It launches properly and automatically applies game patches. She is able to log in and reach the server selection screen. When she clicks Play, the LOTRO launcher disappears and nothing else happens. The game will not start.

Has anyone else had this specific issue? All of the searches I have done result in mostly installation questions and people with random freezes and crashes. This one isn't random. It seems very specific, and I'm hoping someone has figured out this particular issue and will share their knowledge with me.

For the record, I found the instructions here: https://help.standingstonegames.com/...-the-launcher-
    The problem is, the only instruction that applied for people on Macs is to rename the Lord of The Rings Online folder. I tried that. I had to re-accept the license agreements after logging in. But still nothing after pressing Play.

I read in another thread someone mentioned the Wine LOTRO client doesn't work in Yosemite. Is there anyone on Yosemite with a functioning LOTRO client? My wife's Mac cannot upgrade past Yosemite.

Thanks.
    Jason
    Did you get it sorted? This particular failure on a WinPC usually means the firewall has blocked lotro.exe under Heuristic scanning settings. This is the point where the game switches to UDP protocol, which these days is mostly used by malware.

@Eldiwnd & Yarbro

@Eldiwind - What OS version are running? From my experience you need > Yosemite.
    I luckily read this post before downloading so followed amosconi's instructions - to whom I say "Thank You".
    After initial fail I renamed the Documents folder per Nothing-happens-after-clicking-Play-on-the-launcher-OR-Game-crashes-after-clicking-play-on-the-launcher.

Still not working so I deleted old client and re-installed Mac client from Lotro.com again following the amosconi instruction. I enabled 64-bit still not working, tested on MBP with Sierra = working. Updated cMP to El Capitan = working.

One item in your post is odd though that the downloaded file is not "LOTRO". The Mac Client file from lotro.com is "lotrolive.dmg" @ 5.3MB and when mounted shows a standard installer to drag Lotro Ring to Applications folder. I am sorry I cannot help further except to re-iterate my steps. It certainly sounds like you got rid of everything but with no wine install request and the filename being potentially wrong perhaps you are downloading or using the old Cordovan link rather than the the Mac Client prompted by amosconi to use.

@Yarbro - Not a direct response to you but just for others regarding Firewall, tested Firewall On/Off and no difference and again for others El Capitan seems to be minimum OS requirement.

Also to say and more pointed @ Lotro Team - the new client for me is smoother to play with a noticeable increase in performance, have been able to up-tweak graphics after serious down-tweak since MT. Have noticed that game boot and loading between zones is now significantly quicker and more = previously crash out 1/5 compared to zero crashes when changing zones. Previous load times were significantly slow (go do something come back might be loaded...might be "Connection Lost") now average about 4 seconds.

I genuinely hope that you guys and any others skimming the forums looking for resolution to issues get in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgaladhorn View Post
    @Eldiwind - What OS version are running? From my experience you need > Yosemite.
    I luckily read this post before downloading so followed amosconi's instructions - to whom I say "Thank You".
    After initial fail I renamed the Documents folder per Nothing-happens-after-clicking-Play-on-the-launcher-OR-Game-crashes-after-clicking-play-on-the-launcher.

Still not working so I deleted old client and re-installed Mac client from Lotro.com again following the amosconi instruction. I enabled 64-bit still not working, tested on MBP with Sierra = working. Updated cMP to El Capitan = working.

One item in your post is odd though that the downloaded file is not "LOTRO". The Mac Client file from lotro.com is "lotrolive.dmg" @ 5.3MB and when mounted shows a standard installer to drag Lotro Ring to Applications folder. I am sorry I cannot help further except to re-iterate my steps. It certainly sounds like you got rid of everything but with no wine install request and the filename being potentially wrong perhaps you are downloading or using the old Cordovan link rather than the the Mac Client prompted by amosconi to use.

@Yarbro - Not a direct response to you but just for others regarding Firewall, tested Firewall On/Off and no difference and again for others El Capitan seems to be minimum OS requirement.

Also to say and more pointed @ Lotro Team - the new client for me is smoother to play with a noticeable increase in performance, have been able to up-tweak graphics after serious down-tweak since MT. Have noticed that game boot and loading between zones is now significantly quicker and more = previously crash out 1/5 compared to zero crashes when changing zones. Previous load times were significantly slow (go do something come back might be loaded...might be "Connection Lost") now average about 4 seconds.

I genuinely hope that you guys and any others skimming the forums looking for resolution to issues get in game.
    Thanks for the feedback, but if in the future the game suddenly fails at this point on a system where it was working, bear the firewall issue in mind. The firewalls treat the 32bit and 64bit clients separately, so may allow the one and block the other - completely randomly from my experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2