We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

No Support for the new MAC Client?

Well this says a lot about technical support for the new Mac Client. I am having many of the same issues as already posted. I am not sure if anyone else has seen the issue where you cannot make any changes to the launcher, but I cannot make any.

I wrote technical support with all my issues, provided detailed data and below is their response.

Your request (90193) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.
    Pufferfish (Standing Stone Games Help)
    Jun 6, 5:40 AM EDT
    Hello,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the Wine client. Unfortunately we don't offer technical support for Mac, however we would recommend that you visit the LOTRO Mac forums for any potential solutions from other players.

Kind regards,

Quote Originally Posted by dansav View Post
    Well this says a lot about technical support for the new Mac Client. I am having many of the same issues as already posted. I am not sure if anyone else has seen the issue where you cannot make any changes to the launcher, but I cannot make any.

I wrote technical support with all my issues, provided detailed data and below is their response.

Your request (90193) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.
    Hello,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the Wine client. Unfortunately we don't offer technical support for Mac, however we would recommend that you visit the LOTRO Mac forums for any potential solutions from other players.

Kind regards,
    Yes, Mac support is one of Turbine strong points…

You might find some suggestion on the last post I've made: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...42#post7938242

What's happening exactly to your client?

I can get it to open and can play for maybe 30 minutes before it locks up. In activity monitor the wineserver and wine-preloader process are running hi cpu. I also noticed I have 5 wine64-preloaders running using little to no CPU. Also the launcher options cannot be changed nor do they reflect how the client is running. For instance, I installed the high res files, but the launcher has that blank. Same thing with precache is unchecked, but its doing it.

I can get it to open and can play for maybe 30 minutes before it locks up. In activity monitor the wineserver and wine-preloader process are running hi cpu. I also noticed I have 5 wine64-preloaders running using little to no CPU. Also the launcher options cannot be changed nor do they reflect how the client is running. For instance, I installed the high res files, but the launcher has that blank. Same thing with precache is unchecked, but its doing it.
    The CPU consumption (and the number of wine related processes) matches the experience on my machine. I think the client uses now more resources than the old one, which already was a bit of a hog. I have been playing for not long, but it did not crash on me at least.

See if you can find the log so that we might understand if is the lotto client crashing or the wine bottle…

The GUI of the launcher is the most #### of it all, as the buttons are not working, but is just a cosmetic issue (apparently they do work, but you cannot say if an option is on or off…)

This is a very common issue also reported in this forum: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...Bit-Compatible

Same here, client freezes and lots of wine64-preloaders running. Seeing unusual fan speeds - of near 6k. Sometimes the fans go back down to a reasonable ~4k, but not always. I haven't yet figured out what's going on to cause such a major ramp-up in heat. Never saw fan speeds above 5k previously, and I don't know if it's the same on the 32bit version or not.

Regarding the launcher option buttons not working, I didn't realize the settings were working even though the buttons aren't.

I did an end-around by changing the settings directly in the Prefs file located in /Users/<youruser>/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences.ini and /Users/<youruser>/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences64.ini

You do need something like TextWrangler if you want to read and/or edit these though.

Regarding lack of tech support: I'd already tried that route with other platform issues I've had over the years. Same response. I'm left frustrated too, but for many of us, having a Mac option is better than not having a Mac option. So for that I'm grateful, and hopeful that most if not all these problems will eventually be resolved.
    Last edited by Jenara; Jun 06 2019 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenara View Post
    Same here, client freezes and lots of wine64-preloaders running. Seeing unusual fan speeds - of near 6k. Sometimes the fans go back down to a reasonable ~4k, but not always. I haven't yet figured out what's going on to cause such a major ramp-up in heat. Never saw fan speeds above 5k previously, and I don't know if it's the same on the 32bit version or not.

Regarding the launcher option buttons not working, I didn't realize the settings were working even though the buttons aren't.

I did an end-around by changing the settings directly in the Prefs file located in /Users/<youruser>/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences.ini and /Users/<youruser>/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences64.ini

You do need something like TextWrangler if you want to read and/or edit these though.

Regarding lack of tech support: I'd already tried that route with other platform issues I've had over the years. Same response. I'm left frustrated too, but for many of us, having a Mac option is better than not having a Mac option. So for that I'm grateful, and hopeful that most if not all these problems will eventually be resolved.

The official message is it is Apple fault, "Let me explain why. Apple in their wisdom has decided to stop supporting a number of old API's such as OpenGL that a fair number of old games rely on. Going forward, Apple will only support games that are based on Metal"

But the question is the prior client worked fine so what changed by Apple? It would seem nothing they just choose to not support MAC, if you are MAC user, time to find a new game, they are not supporting MAC

It really is that simple, just wish they had told us a while ago, I not only got vip but paid 50 dollars for LoTRo points, but just like it is not economic to support MAC for them, I am not going to buy a new laptop for 2K to play the game.

Hence, it is time to leave the world. Most likely the game is ending soon anyways, I saw this coming, hence, only myself to blame to spend money on it.

BTW: The client no longer even runs today, it locks up my computer, yesterday you could run it, but it was unusebale really, today they just lock you out.

I am sure to avoid having people complain.

I feel for you!!!
    Apple surely did not do its dedicated user base any favors with that move, to be truthful. The Mac OS is their vestigial legacy, and not their handheld cash-cow...and although I am less than happy (ticked off, mostly) about the way SSG has rolled this weird 'update' out, Apple definitely is kicking its MacOS users who also game right in the shins.
    I also play War Thunder and they did utilize metal, which helped keep us in the picture.
    Years ago, I looked at WINE so I could play some game all my friends were enthusiastic about (heaven knows what by now) and it is a fairly involved and not at all intuitive process to install and by the sound of people's raging in other threads, people using it are still encountering trouble.

Those files, in my machine have been modified last time when I opened the old client (yesterday). Today I opened LoTRO, and modified settings, but those file have not been changed.

I have found where the correct files are in my installation:

/Users/andrea/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/users/andrea/My Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/

There I have both files you mention and have been updated to the last time I opened the game, today.

Looking at the files, they contains different options and only "UserPreferences.ini" have the settings for the launcher:

Code:
    [Launcher]
    AllowMultipleInstances=true
    FirstRun=false
    UseHighResolutionGameData=true
    PreCache=true
    GameClientType=3
    LoadOnStartup=false
    AskBeforeDownload=false
    ThrottleDownload=false
    ThrottleDownloadRate=4
    AutoRetrieveUpdates=true
    AutoRetrieveUpdatesInterval=4
    KeepLauncherOpen=true
    WindowGeometry=@ByteArray(\x1\xd9\xd0\xcb\0\x1\0\0\0\0\0\t\0\0\x1J\0\0\x2\xd8\0\0\x3r\0\0\0\t\0\0\x1J\0\0\x2\xd8\0\0\x3r\0\0\0\0\0\0)
    SelectLastPlayedWorld=false
    but I cannot see any option to run the game in 64bit…

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleson View Post
    The official message is it is Apple fault, "Let me explain why. Apple in their wisdom has decided to stop supporting a number of old API's such as OpenGL that a fair number of old games rely on. Going forward, Apple will only support games that are based on Metal"

But the question is the prior client worked fine so what changed by Apple? It would seem nothing they just choose to not support MAC, if you are MAC user, time to find a new game, they are not supporting MAC

It really is that simple, just wish they had told us a while ago, I not only got vip but paid 50 dollars for LoTRo points, but just like it is not economic to support MAC for them, I am not going to buy a new laptop for 2K to play the game.

Hence, it is time to leave the world. Most likely the game is ending soon anyways, I saw this coming, hence, only myself to blame to spend money on it.

BTW: The client no longer even runs today, it locks up my computer, yesterday you could run it, but it was unusebale really, today they just lock you out.

I am sure to avoid having people complain.
    Thaleson, I see where you are coming from, but the fact that Apple do not support OpenGL (or a bunch of other old technologies) any longer, is not the reason SSG do no support Mac.

The reason is that to support Mac, you first need to have a team of developers dedicated to Mac. On the other hand, one person is more than enough to prepare a Wine Bottle that can be downloaded on Mac…

Then you need to have a team of support technician dedicated to the Mac. Or you can just refer user to the forum, hoping for the best.

Both those group of people need to be paid, and you can only pay them if you make enough money out of the game from that platform.

Obviously this is not the case for Mac, so SSG is doing the mistake a lot of other companies does: cut their losses and offer a worse product than before, hoping that it will be enough.

This will annoy a number of loyal customer that will move to different games making the Mac platform even less profitable, until it will close down.

Support-wise, however, it will be slightly easier for everyone, as now you do on Mac the same things you do on a windows machine…

Quote Originally Posted by amosconi View Post
    Those files, in my machine have been modified last time when I opened the old client (yesterday). Today I opened LoTRO, and modified settings, but those file have not been changed.

I have found where the correct files are in my installation:

/Users/andrea/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/users/andrea/My Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/

There I have both files you mention and have been updated to the last time I opened the game, today.

Looking at the files, they contains different options and only "UserPreferences.ini" have the settings for the launcher:

Code:
    [Launcher]
    AllowMultipleInstances=true
    FirstRun=false
    UseHighResolutionGameData=true
    PreCache=true
    GameClientType=3
    LoadOnStartup=false
    AskBeforeDownload=false
    ThrottleDownload=false
    ThrottleDownloadRate=4
    AutoRetrieveUpdates=true
    AutoRetrieveUpdatesInterval=4
    KeepLauncherOpen=true
    WindowGeometry=@ByteArray(\x1\xd9\xd0\xcb\0\x1\0\0\0\0\0\t\0\0\x1J\0\0\x2\xd8\0\0\x3r\0\0\0\t\0\0\x1J\0\0\x2\xd8\0\0\x3r\0\0\0\0\0\0)
    SelectLastPlayedWorld=false
    but I cannot see any option to run the game in 64bit…
    This sounds like it's related to the problem we were discussing in the other thread, about how I don't have an Application Support > com.standingstonegames.lotro folder.

Bottom line being, your install and mine are different! How that came to be, and why, and if it matters to game performance I can't say. Perplexing to the max, to think the lotro wine installer is behaving differently for different users!

Also, I didn't think to look for a "run 64bit setting" since I was already running it - which was obvious to me because the graphics are so much better than on the native client.

I used TextEdit to modify my ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences.ini
    The correct extension was preserved and the file worked fine.

Same. So Standing Stones is no longer offering any technical support for Mac users at all? I get the garbled text on the launcher, and it doesn't run quite as smooth as before. Sad that they are just going to dump a percentage of their customers.

Anyone know of any similar games that do support us Mac users?

Hello,

Kind regards,

Quote Originally Posted by EurydicePhi View Post
    Same. So Standing Stones is no longer offering any technical support for Mac users at all? I get the garbled text on the launcher, and it doesn't run quite as smooth as before. Sad that they are just going to dump a percentage of their customers.

Anyone know of any similar games that do support us Mac users?
    Hi EurydicePhi!

Mac Support has never been a very strong suit for SSG (or turbine, for the matter…), but luckily you can find support in this forum. There are no games like LoTRO, as there is no other story than LoTR… I play WoW and I like it, is even better as the client goes and a lot more, but is no LoTRO…

About the garbled text, please follow the instructions in this post: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...42#post7938542

for the rest, see my troubleshooting guide for the installation: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ons-Client-V24

Before anything else, make sure to update macOS to the latest version.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any question on my steps above.

Good luck!