We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Launcher stuck in endless loop for 64 bit client

Hi,

I'm trying the new 64 bit client over the past 2 days. The new area looks fabulous! Today, I was in the new area when suddenly the game froze. The 'Escape' key wasn't recognized, so all I could do was manually crash the game via Win10 Task Manager.

So I tried to log in again, and this time the launcher tried to patch something, and then crashed with this notice: "Could not patch file x64/lotroclient64.exe, error 5: Access is denied."

After a bit of reading, I thought it might be my Avast Firewall (even though I'd been playing for 2 days without incident), so I turned it off to test. The launcher still tried to patch, then the launch screen disappeared, and I got the whirly blue thing on the desktop, which ended again with the above notice before automatically beginning the whole process again. So I assume it isn't a Firewall problem. Finally, I tried to reset client to 32 bit, but of course the launcher won't let me do anything before disappearing so that is also not an option.

Short of a complete reinstall, is there anything else I could try? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was so enjoying the new area and would like to carry on.

Just to check: make sure you don't have a full hard drive?
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

I have an update to my post above.

I checked the lotroclient64 log. Near the bottom it says:

379143323.411: ----CRASH REPORT START----
    379143323.411: Program fault: ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) trying to read from 0x0000000000000008

Below that log are the logs for the 9 attempts I made to log in. Most of them have only Data Center URL: QUrl( "http://moria.gls.lotro.com/GLS.DataCenterServer/Service.asmx" )

but one has
    2019.06.06 11:07:34[W] Failed to delete registry key: LOTRO Launcher

I also looked at the Self Patch file.
    There are 1 files to patch
    File: "x64/lotroclient64.exe"
    Could not find post patch command: E:\Turbine\The
    Post Patch Command: < "E:\Turbine\The" "Lord" "of" "the" "Rings" "Online\LotroLauncher.exe" "-nosplash" "-skiprawdownload" "-nosplash" "-skiprawdownload">
    Waiting for the parent process to end
    Copying up "E:\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online\tmp\x64\lotroclient64.e xe" to "E:\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online\x64\lotroclient64.exe"
    Copy failed, HResult 0x80070005, error 5 Access is denied.

Perhaps this information will be helpful in diagnosing the cause of the launcher failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowlady View Post
    I have an update to my post above.

I checked the lotroclient64 log. Near the bottom it says:

379143323.411: ----CRASH REPORT START----
    379143323.411: Program fault: ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) trying to read from 0x0000000000000008

Below that log are the logs for the 9 attempts I made to log in. Most of them have only Data Center URL: QUrl( "http://moria.gls.lotro.com/GLS.DataCenterServer/Service.asmx" )

but one has
    2019.06.06 11:07:34[W] Failed to delete registry key: LOTRO Launcher

I also looked at the Self Patch file.
    There are 1 files to patch
    File: "x64/lotroclient64.exe"
    Post Patch Command: < "E:\Turbine\The" "Lord" "of" "the" "Rings" "Online\LotroLauncher.exe" "-nosplash" "-skiprawdownload" "-nosplash" "-skiprawdownload">
    Waiting for the parent process to end
    Copying up "E:\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online\tmp\x64\lotroclient64.e xe" to "E:\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online\x64\lotroclient64.exe"
    Copy failed, HResult 0x80070005, error 5 Access is denied.

Perhaps this information will be helpful in diagnosing the cause of the launcher failing.
    Access denied is nearly always anti virus issues, although bad HDD sectors can on rare occasions cause the file to become corrupted and unreadable.

Delete the downloaded 64 bit files, reboot, disable AV and try downloading the game again.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowlady View Post
    This line right here is the indicator that might be your problem.

Your shortcut might be to an old TurbineInvoker.exe which is a wrapper for LOTROLauncher.exe now and doesn't pass command line options properly.

Edit your shortcut and make sure it is pointing to LOTROLauncher.exe and not anything else.

Also, for patching purposes, you should have a "plain" shortcut with no additional command line options like above just to make sure it downloads everything at least once. Those options skip the splash screen downloads.
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

I'm suffering from exactly the same issue; played with the X64 client just fine yesterday. Came home today, launcher gave the error 5. Messed around with access right, no improvement. Removed X64 folder and the patcher downloaded it again to finish off with the error 5 again.

[edit]

I removed the 'X64' and 'tmp' folders; launched "LotroLaucher.exe" as Administrator and now it succesfully patched. Even with Avast shields up...
    Last edited by Grimdoin_EU; Jun 06 2019 at 02:42 PM.
    Andahlia (105BRG) - Annare (105MNS) - Grimdhaz (105RNK) - Grimdoin (105GDN)
    Grimdoir (105CHM) - Tommelhood (105HNT) - Willegart (105WDN)

Had the same issue. Turned off anti virus and launched LotroLauncher.exe (instead of TurbineLauncher.exe) in administrator mode, now it works.

I want to thank all of you for your quick and helpful replies :-) This community is just the best, which is what keeps me returning year after year, and persevering with technical issues such as the one with the launcher.

I played for an hour or so just now, and everything is fine. For the record, I launched the game with LotroLauncher.exe as advised, and ran it in admin mode. I didn't disable Avast though, and it still worked.

Again, thanks so much!