We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lock the toolbar during session play

I don't like combat in session play, because I feel that session play should be strictly story oriented, but man, today I was in a session play in Enedwaith where I was fighting 2 trolls and some orcs with Isildur when I found myself with a missing skill from accidentally dragging it off the toolbar. It would be really nice if the skills in session play would be locked by default.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I don't like combat in session play, because I feel that session play should be strictly story oriented, but man, today I was in a session play in Enedwaith where I was fighting 2 trolls and some orcs with Isildur when I found myself with a missing skill from accidentally dragging it off the toolbar. It would be really nice if the skills in session play would be locked by default.
    The Lock is already an option, check the game preferences/Quickslots. it is the top tick box.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    The Lock is already an option, check the game preferences/Quickslots. it is the top tick box.
    Yes, I know that. But for session play I would like it locked by default.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Yes, I know that. But for session play I would like it locked by default.
    100% agreed /signed

I think it's because the client creates a session play character each time one is needed, and it uses the default client for new character.

It would be nice if they could create session play characters that always lock their toolbars by default.

At beginner levels, lots of new skills are awarded quickly, if the bar was locked by default, new players would know what to do or why they skills the game said thay hed been awarded werent showing up..

I think you are being a bit lazy, it only takes a few seconds to lock the bar, and then it stays locked until you unlock to add/move skills/milestones etc.

it only takes a few seconds to lock the bar, and then it stays locked until you unlock to add/move skills/milestones etc.
    Takes even less time if you bind it to a key. I have my lock on Ctrl-L and can turn it on/off very quickly. Also comes in handy for things like the shrew stomping and other festival events that need skills added to the bar.

At beginner levels, lots of new skills are awarded quickly, if the bar was locked by default, new players would know what to do or why they skills the game said thay hed been awarded werent showing up..

I think you are being a bit lazy, it only takes a few seconds to lock the bar, and then it stays locked until you unlock to add/move skills/milestones etc.
    I think you missed the part about this request being for Session Play.

Another nice thing would be keeping of chat filters for session play.
    I mean, the primary purpose of those is lore and story, but any time I enter a session, I get blasted by World chat which I always keep turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    Another nice thing would be keeping of chat filters for session play.
    I mean, the primary purpose of those is lore and story, but any time I enter a session, I get blasted by World chat which I always keep turned off.
    I am not sure I agree with locking the bar by default (I think many more people would be confused by not being able to move the skills than would be inconvenienced by having to lock the bar themselves), but the idea of not resetting all your chat I can get behind!

I've just had to learn over time of doing session play combat(which I despise) to go through my checklist:

• filter out world,trade,lff from chat
    • arrange whatever skills I have in an order that make sense to me
    • lock the skill bars
    “And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the ring passed out of all knowledge.”
    ? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Quote Originally Posted by Tzviden View Post
    I think you missed the part about this request being for Session Play.
    Are you perhaps referring to the historical interlude sessions?? Where you are playing another character - and usually only have 4 or 5 skills anyway??

Every other session I have entered has kept my toolbar locked - as far as I can remember.

Session play. Not landscape. I’m talking about session play.

Quote Originally Posted by Elflord410 View Post
    I've just had to learn over time of doing session play combat(which I despise) to go through my checklist:

• lock the skill bars
    Exactly. Especially if someone encounters a session play combat instance where they are not accustomed to that class. They are not going to think about this check list.

It’s ok for regular instances and landscape where you spend a lot of time with one character , but session play is a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by Elflord410 View Post

• lock the skill bars
    This is exactly what I do every time I take a character into session play. It's annoying as heck, but necessary.

And yeah, every time I have to do it I curse the game gods for not using my character settings for sessions. As someone earlier said, session play is all about lore. Dang hard to stay in the lore with all that chatter going on in channels I normally have turned off.

As for auto-locking the toolbar, I'm against it as a default, because I move the session buttons around to match - as much as possible - how I have the quickslots arranged for similar type characters. The default session settings *should* be what you've already set as your preferences. I'd even accept a one-time "Sessions Preferences" option, at least then we wouldn't have to re-do it every time.

Oh, one last thing: I also hate session play combat. I have zero interest in taking the time to learn a whole new set of tools for a character I will never play again, and most times it's a class I don't even enjoy. It's not a fun part of the session for me, and I absolutely loath it when I fail the instance (and therefore fail to progress the storyline) because I lost in combat. An option to bypass combat in session play would be welcome.
    Last edited by BentoIce; Jun 05 2019 at 05:41 PM.