We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Solo class

Solo class

Im returning to the game and im looking for a good class for soloing as much content as possible as I'm not able to play regularly with a group or at prime hours. I want to eliminate the beorning as Im not fond of playing in bear form.

Honestly I think most of them can do a lot of content. I have a Minstrel, Captain, Champion, and Hunter. The Minstrel is probably the quickest, but both the Champion and Hunter can smash their way through easy to moderate content pretty fast. Captain is by FAR the slowest to play, but also the easiest especially if not geared perfectly.

At lower levels though I really can’t say, it’s been so long since I’ve played through anything but level cap my experiences back when aren’t relevant as so much has changed since launch at this point.

Sadly I’ve shelved my Guardian for some years. He just struggled so hard solo compared to my other classes I just never bothered, plus he is hard to gear as group and solo,play require entirely different pieces of everything. Back in the day though it was my favorite character. Tanking was really fun in SoA and Moria- you were always in the middle of the action and always had willing groups when you wanted. Of the classes mentioned here I’d say Guard is the least solo friendly class unless things have changed drastically in the last few years. I think he’s level 90 but he’s just a craft alt at this point.

If I had to pick a single character to play I’d say Minstrel as it’s a decent dps/utility class solo but can also find spots for the occasional PUG/featured instance as a healer.

So far I’ve played a dwarf guardian up to nearly level 50 and I’ve had no problems solo. In red line you do decent DPS so can batter your way through most stuff fairly quickly, and you also have decent self-heals. I have another two lower level guards, but I can’t speak for guardian at higher levels though.

I play a man captain as main, currently at level 100. The class is challenging to play at times and slower than the guardian, but has a lot of versatility, with the red DPS line for most stuff and then the yellow tanking line for when you need to stay alive longer rather than do fast damage. If I need to tackle tough bosses solo or extra mobs, I use yellow line, because if you play it right, you can be really hard to kill. Also very desirable in groups.

Other classes I have played a reasonable amount of are are hunter, minstrel and champion. Brief comments on each:

Hunter: quite fun solo, and quite fast; blue line means you can keep moving and shooting which I find essential if not in a group.
    Minstrel: good, red line does a lot of damage and you can breeze through early level content. It’s quite funny just yelling at mobs and watching themfall over
    Champion: tons of fun in yellow line as you can gather 6-8 standard mobs and chop them all to bits with your extensive AoE repertoire. Chews through landscape like butter.

I wouldn’t like to make much comment about other classes as I haven’t played them enough. I’d say any class can solo though, you’ve just got to be tactical about it - look at the area around you and pull your mobs carefully to make sure you don’t gather too much aggro.

I’d say try a few out and see what fits your play style best.
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Jun 06 2019 at 02:31 PM.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

I think there is at least one other thread recently on this topic so look around.

Revamps of guardian, beo, and burglar in the last year by vastin boosted their dps quite a bit to where they are quite good on leveling landscape.

I have all classes to 120 as casual non-raiders.

Opinion:
    Slowest and chunkiest is captain and has been for years.
    LM is pretty much pet kills all until 70 or so then pet drastically loses effectiveness. Nerfing of blue capstone hurts at higher level as pet can’t maintain aggro anymore. Later on in level Red has good dps but with emasculated pet has to stand still for inductions and heal through any attacks.

The major decision is ranged or melee play style.

In ranged you can kite (blue hunter, red minstrel, yellow rk) or stand and deliver (red hunter, red rk, red lm) again play style dependent. Blue hunter or red minstrel are my favorites. After around the low 40s red rk is killer single or dual target dps.

On the melee side you have red (single target) or yellow (AoE) champ, red or later on yellow guardian, red beorning, red warden (lots and lots++ of keystrokes!), red burglar, or red captain (slow and clunky). Note that if vastin ever gets around to revamp captain I expect it to get a lot better. Here champions are my favorite for in your face hack and slash though revamped guardian is a close second. Warden is pretty much the most survivable and eventually some of the highest AoE dps but the gambit memorization and huge number of keystrokes makes them hard to master and play - especially if there’s any lag.

Just my 2 cents as casual not as raider.

Good to hear the Guard had a revamp in the recent past. I hadn’t even kept up with it. Maybe I’ll try it out once I get through the latest U24 stuff with my main.

Warden is awesome but rather hard to master. Most crippled by lag. Also, wardens played by really good players could accomplish some insane stuff, which resulted in some bad nerfs. An incredibly effective solo class, it seems these days wardens are among least wanted in groups/raids. It feels like current devs have pretty much zero understanding of the class, since Warden is most player skill dependent.

Hunters are great from a travel perspective, in addition to their combat capabilities.

Play champion and let no one behind...alive.
    Arandour Champion Rank 12-Nerien Hunter rank 11-Runendir RK Rank 7
    Kinship PRIME-Evernight Since May 2007
    Borzol R12-Mauhnakh R9-Varcolac R9-Sumnor R8-Orcapo R8 (Creep status retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Arandour View Post
    Play champion and let no one behind...alive.
    For sure but champion is the most useless dps melee class in lotro. Specially since last warden update and because like another class he don't have any defensive skill in dps.

Burglar > warden > champion > guardian.

No one should pick a champion in group content actually. Only for solo and role play.

Quote Originally Posted by jokor View Post
    For sure but champion is the most useless dps melee class in lotro. Specially since last warden update and because like another class he don't have any defensive skill in dps.

Burglar > warden > champion > guardian.

No one should pick a champion in group content actually. Only for solo and role play.
    We can only shine in a group if the instance have many adds (more than 3) and they have to be killed,on single target dps we are far behind i agree with you but i refuse to give up.Maybe they will give some proper attention to us someday.At the moment yes the situation is like you describe.But still a champion is king for solo play nothing can stop him if he knows the class.

Burglar can outdamage champion in both way one and multi target and champion can't because :

- he must choose between mono or area damage.
    - like you said red champion deal less damage than any other class. In yellow i won't talk about it on one boss.

This mean at the end burglar will still always deal more damage than a champion when add are killed and there's only boss to kill.

All you have left is hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jokor View Post
    Burglar can outdamage champion in both way one and multi target and champion can't because :

- he must choose between mono or area damage.
    - like you said red champion deal less damage than any other class. In yellow i won't talk about it on one boss.

This mean at the end burglar will still always deal more damage than a champion when add are killed and there's only boss to kill.

All you have left is hope.
    Burglars do far more damage than everyone not only champions and i dont understand why they didnt nerf them yet cause that thing cause a lot of unbalancing issues in the game.At Anvil only at second boss i could do more dps than burglar and that on T3 not even on T2 that the mobs was not so many.
    We will see what happen in the future.Anyway this is probably not the appropriate threat to discus those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Arandour View Post
    Burglars do far more damage than everyone not only champions and i dont understand why they didnt nerf them yet cause that thing cause a lot of unbalancing issues in the game.At Anvil only at second boss i could do more dps than burglar and that on T3 not even on T2 that the mobs was not so many.
    We will see what happen in the future.Anyway this is probably not the appropriate threat to discus those things.
    Um, you played an RK recently? Single target they do more damage than a Burg after the patch that buffed em.

Quote Originally Posted by menacer53 View Post
    Um, you played an RK recently? Single target they do more damage than a Burg after the patch that buffed em.
    No they are close but not more.If you put the same skilled burglar with same skilled and geared RK the burglar will do more.I see this everyday and also i have an RK myself.