We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Exclamation Mac Wine Client [error 201] solution??

Hey all,

I have a MacBook computer running MacOS Mojave 10.14.5. I installed the wine client as was requested by SSG in order to run the 64-bit client with the U24. But after all the patching was done and I successfully logged in my account, the game instantly crashed after pressing the "Play" button(at the server choice stage). The error window says the following:

Game Error [201]

Can't open the data files. Check that they exist and that you have permission to write to them. The program will now exit. [201]

the only option to press is OK after which the launcher closes.

Can someone please help me solve this problem? Is anything wrong with my installation or should I somehow tinker with the wine installation files to resolve it? And if yes, can you tell me what to do??

Thank you in advance and I hope to see you in game soon...

Angry they should left well enough alone

at least your client opened. all i got was a bouncing ring in my dock.

Support please for Mac users and Wine

Same here. I'm playing with firewall making LOTRO client allowed and still not getting in. Could we get some support Cordovan?

Thanks for reaching out

The bouncing ring icon is normal. When you get the new osx client, it needs to download some resources in the background.
    This will continue until those downloads are finished - so the duration of this step is based on your internet speed.

During this time, you should allow it to continue.

As for the data issue, I can assist given more information. Firstly, make sure you are using the client distributed here:
    http://live.lotro.com/sites/clientdl.../lotrolive.dmg

If you're sure that you have this version, and you still get this issue, try checking to see what files exist in the following folder:
    /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/

Aside from describing what you find there, you can try the following:
    If you see a folder called "wineprefix" located there, try deleting it, and running the game again.

As for the data issue, I can assist given more information. Firstly, make sure you are using the client distributed here:
    http://live.lotro.com/sites/clientdl.../lotrolive.dmg
    I re-downloaded the client. The first version was from the announcement you made after the servers went live and the file was called "lotrolive-wine.dmg". Now the name is changed so I deleted that installation just to be sure and started the installation again.

If you're sure that you have this version, and you still get this issue, try checking to see what files exist in the following folder:
    /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/

Aside from describing what you find there, you can try the following:
    If you see a folder called "wineprefix" located there, try deleting it, and running the game again.
    I didn't have that path in my Library. It might be due to the "wrong" client. I will know in a few hours. I also tried creating this pathway and launched the game with the previous installation but I still got the same problem.

I really hope that now everything will work and that I don't download 30gigs for no reason for the 2nd time today...

Quote Originally Posted by Ef-John View Post
    I re-downloaded the client. The first version was from the announcement you made after the servers went live and the file was called "lotrolive-wine.dmg". Now the name is changed so I deleted that installation just to be sure and started the installation again.

I didn't have that path in my Library. It might be due to the "wrong" client. I will know in a few hours. I also tried creating this pathway and launched the game with the previous installation but I still got the same problem.

I really hope that now everything will work and that I don't download 30gigs for no reason for the 2nd time today...

everything worked fine. I had to change also the option at the launcher to start using the 64-bit version and this stopped the warning that said I was using a 32-bit program. I got a performance boost and could increase my graphics and resolution but further testing is required before I can conclude. One problem that I need to figure out is that in the use of windowed mode instead of having access to my top bar and dock, I have horizontal black bars(like running the game in a weird aspect ratio). But I guess in time these problems will be resolved and will find out which settings should be tinkered in the .ini files to allow a smoother experience.

Just have a question about this new client. I normally use Steam to play. Do I just...forget about that? Or can I still play via steam? How do I link the new client to my steam account?

Quote Originally Posted by Cydrith View Post
    Thanks for reaching out

The bouncing ring icon is normal. When you get the new osx client, it needs to download some resources in the background.
    This will continue until those downloads are finished - so the duration of this step is based on your internet speed.

During this time, you should allow it to continue.
    and the speed of where ever those files are hosted.. as they seem to be downloading at 60kb/s, my connection to the net is a lot faster than that..

I deleted the old client and installed the new. Game would crash and I could not change any of the launcher settings. I deleted the install and used the link in this thread just to make sure. Same issues. Takes a long time to load, cannot change Launcher setting and some times crashes when loading a toon.

As added info all my launcher setting are not selected. For instance even though I told it during install I want hi res, the launcher setting for that is unchecked.

This is very frustrating. Please help.
    Last edited by dansav; Jun 05 2019 at 04:18 PM.