We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Wine client garbled text fix?

Anyone else seeing garbled text on the wine client launcher? I can't read any of the text, which is a particular problem on the Server List - can't tell which server is which and I play on multiple servers. Any ideas about how to fix this?

Game text seems fine, but the graphics are much lower quality. No clue what that's all about or how to resolve it.

Also, none of the Options on the Launcher do anything. I have no idea what settings it thinks it's using, and I can't change them.

Update: The OPTION key commands aren't working. Any thoughts? Assuming I can get all the other preferences redone, I don't see how I can play when my full string of Opt commands are unable to be set. I'm no programmer but shouldn't Wine be processing Opt commands as Windows game Alt commands?
    Last edited by BentoIce; Jun 04 2019 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks for reaching out

Is the launcher text coming out as squares? Or something else?
    Could you provide a screenshot, and some info about your Mac (specifically version)?

Additionally, make sure you downloaded from this link:
    http://live.lotro.com/sites/clientdl.../lotrolive.dmg

Quote Originally Posted by Cydrith View Post
    Thanks for reaching out

Is the launcher text coming out as squares? Or something else?
    Could you provide a screenshot, and some info about your Mac (specifically version)?

Additionally, make sure you downloaded from this link:
    http://live.lotro.com/sites/clientdl.../lotrolive.dmg
    Thanks for responding Cydrith.

Here's the launcher at default followed by server list:

https://imgur.com/a/L55H4Lh

Let me know if that isn't viewable, never used imgur before

For the download, I used the "here" link in Cordovan's post: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ilable-and-FAQ

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
    OS Mojave 10.14.4
    2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR
    Onboard: Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB
    Discreet: Radeon Pro 560 4 GB

The game is choosing the Radeon, the launcher is choosing the Intel. I have the screen in Scaled mode (the center selection) but tried "Default" and the launcher behaves the same either way.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by BentoIce; Jun 04 2019 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks for posting this, Bentolce. I'm having the exact same problem with a 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 15" running Sierra.

EDIT: just checked my 2015 27" 5K iMac running Mojave, it's perfectly legible, so no problem there.
    Last edited by Cloudster; Jun 06 2019 at 04:33 AM.

I have the exact same problem here. I can log in easily enough, but I can't guess as to which is my server (Landroval), and it looks like it's in this area that we select 64 bit too so I can't even find the menu to try and select 64 bit.

I hope we get a satisfactory response soon. I've got 6 months left on VIP and would likely resubscribe every year the game is active, if I can make it work ok on my mac. Otherwise, it's no more LOTRO for me, and that's pretty sad!

Hi all!

If you used the old installer (apparently the window in the DMG is white, and the name of the application is "LOTRO" instead of "lotroclient") you have to reinstall the software again.

Cordovan post have been corrected on the 4th of June to use the new link.

if you downloaded the client before that date, please download it again and have a look at the isntructions on my post for some guidance.
    Last edited by amosconi; Jun 06 2019 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amosconi View Post
    Hi all!

If you used the old installer (apparently the window in the DMG is white, and the name of the application is "LOTRO" instead of "lotroclient") you have to reinstall the software again.

Cordovan post have been corrected on the 4th of June to use the new link.

if you downloaded the client before that date, please download it again and have a look at the isntructions on my post for some guidance.
    I reinstalled using your instructions. The install went well, the instructions were clear. Thank you.

Sadly, this did not solve the Launcher garbled text issue, but the game runs well so far. (crossing fingers that that continues)

Re the garbled Server List, the top server is the last server played on, so if you haven't mucked with the list by randomly selecting a server, choosing the first one will at least get you into the game. I'm trying to get a server list from a friend who plays on Windows, will update this post when I get that. If anyone has such a list, so we can count down the list to find our alternate servers, a post of that would be welcome.

Re Options for selecting 64bit: The Launcher Options is the first selection under the little arrow on the Launcher. On my Launcher I can kind of read which button is which, and selecting them doesn't show what you've selected, but you can choose 64bit, it's third radio button (circle) up from the bottom.

Note for SSG: Forgot to mention, in case this helps find a solution, that the End User Agreement(s) also are garbled text, totally unreadable. I just clicked "accept" anyway, and was put through to the game. Fortunately that button worked.
    Last edited by BentoIce; Jun 07 2019 at 08:41 AM. Reason: add info

Re garbled server list, finding the right one is not as easy as I'd hoped. The list updates about every half a minute and the display shifts to the top of the list. If you're scrolling down to count servers, this forces you to lose track of your count. Then there's the fact that the server you last logged into is moved to the top of the list, changing the order of the rest of the list. I'm not sure what metric is used to generate the list so it might change over time but fwiw here's the list as I received it:

Last server played
    Ithil
    Anor
    Crickhollow [US]
    Brandywine [US]
    Laurelin [EU-EN-RP]
    Gladden [US]
    Landroval [US-RP]
    Arkenstone [US]
    Evernight [EU]
    Belegaer [EU-DE-RP]
    Sirannon [FR]
    Gwaihir [EU-DE]

If anyone has a better suggestion for how to find your alternate servers I'm all ears.

Out of curiosity, for those that are having this problem, do you have version of MS Office installed?

I've always had it installed, so haven't seen this issue, but makes me think either there's a missing font or there's a conflict between two fonts and it's causing problems. Would be helpful to know from SSG what font is trying to be displayed there.

Quote Originally Posted by tanlis View Post
    Out of curiosity, for those that are having this problem, do you have version of MS Office installed?

I've always had it installed, so haven't seen this issue, but makes me think either there's a missing font or there's a conflict between two fonts and it's causing problems. Would be helpful to know from SSG what font is trying to be displayed there.
    I don't have MS Office installed, makes me wonder if installing a trial version might resolve things. But it also doesn't explain why I don't have this problem on my 27" iMac.

Quote Originally Posted by tanlis View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudster View Post
    I don't have MS Office installed, makes me wonder if installing a trial version might resolve things. But it also doesn't explain why I don't have this problem on my 27" iMac.
    I use NeoOffice. No clue what fonts MSOffice installs by default, but it's an interesting theory. I shudder at all things MS, so don't look at me to try it out. /sarcasm

Cloudster's comment begs the question: Does everyone with the garbled text problem have a MacBook Pro?

Cloudster, makes me think it's a font issue even if it's not related to MS Office. Might try opening Font Book and click the Look for Enabled Font Duplicates in the Edit menu. I'm guessing at things though.

BentoIce, I have two MacBook Pros and neither exhibit this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoIce View Post
    I reinstalled using your instructions. The install went well, the instructions were clear. Thank you.

Sadly, this did not solve the Launcher garbled text issue, but the game runs well so far. (crossing fingers that that continues)

Re the garbled Server List, the top server is the last server played on, so if you haven't mucked with the list by randomly selecting a server, choosing the first one will at least get you into the game. I'm trying to get a server list from a friend who plays on Windows, will update this post when I get that. If anyone has such a list, so we can count down the list to find our alternate servers, a post of that would be welcome.

Re Options for selecting 64bit: The Launcher Options is the first selection under the little arrow on the Launcher. On my Launcher I can kind of read which button is which, and selecting them doesn't show what you've selected, but you can choose 64bit, it's third radio button (circle) up from the bottom.

Note for SSG: Forgot to mention, in case this helps find a solution, that the End User Agreement(s) also are garbled text, totally unreadable. I just clicked "accept" anyway, and was put through to the game. Fortunately that button worked.
    I'm sorry it did not help, BentoIce.

Try opening FontBook, and click on "All Fonts" on the left. Then select all fonts in the middle column and finally, from the File Menu, select "Validate Fonts".

It might take a while, depending on how many fonts you have, and once it finishes, you will get a report of any potential problem: disable all problematic or duplicate fonts that are found and then restart the computer.

Once you hear the chime, press and hold down the shift key to boot in Safe mode (this process will clean some font caches), see https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201262 for more details. Once booted restart again, to disable safe mode, and test the client.

Good luck!

Try opening FontBook, and click on "All Fonts" on the left. Then select all fonts in the middle column and finally, from the File Menu, select "Validate Fonts".

It might take a while, depending on how many fonts you have, and once it finishes, you will get a report of any potential problem: disable all problematic or duplicate fonts that are found and then restart the computer.

Once you hear the chime, press and hold down the shift key to boot in Safe mode (this process will clean some font caches), see https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201262 for more details. Once booted restart again, to disable safe mode, and test the client.

Good luck!
    Font cleanup did it!

You are pure awesomesauce, +10,000 brownie points! I had just downloaded MS Office 365, fortunately I hadn't installed it! I have several Adobe products, and with them come many, MANY fonts. One font came out with a red error, and many had duplicates. But once I ran through the cleanup and booted through safe mode, everything is roses!

Much thanks!

Font cleanup did it!

You are pure awesomesauce, +10,000 brownie points! I had just downloaded MS Office 365, fortunately I hadn't installed it! I have several Adobe products, and with them come many, MANY fonts. One font came out with a red error, and many had duplicates. But once I ran through the cleanup and booted through safe mode, everything is roses!

Much thanks!
    Cool! I'm happy for you, man!

And thanks for the brownie points!

Good luck!
    Holymoly it's a freekin' merakl - cleaning up the fonts WORKED!

SSG should give you VIP for life (seriously!) for doing their work for them!!

Thank y' kindly, it's so nice to be able to see the Server List again!

::happy dance::

I guess this is what I get for migrating to new computers with old system data :/

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BentoIce View Post
    Holymoly it's a freekin' merakl - cleaning up the fonts WORKED!

SSG should give you VIP for life (seriously!) for doing their work for them!!

Thank y' kindly, it's so nice to be able to see the Server List again!

::happy dance::

I guess this is what I get for migrating to new computers with old system data :/

Thanks BentoIce!

For the moment I would be happy if the made my post a sticky one, so that everyone would look at it, instead of me having to reply to everybody to look at it…

Certainly I wold not refuse a VIP for life offer from SSG, though…

I'm happy for you!

Happy playing!

I learned two more things today regarding this issue. My wife has the same 2015 15" MacBook Pro Retina, and like me, also running Sierra. Also garbled text. She didn't want to reboot because she's in the middle of doing Q3 scheduling for her telescope (she's an astronomer and scheduling is a crazily complicated process). So I suggested that we go ahead and try doing the font cleanup and not reboot and just see what happens.

Doing the font cleanup without the reboot was enough to cleanup the launcher text! We will do a reboot as soon as she finishes this phase of scheduling and she can afford to close down all the programs and windows she has open to do her job.

The second thing is curious. We've suspected for a long time that her video card might be twitchy. After doing the Wine install and while her launcher fonts were messed up, if she was in the game with a character loaded and did a three-finger swipe or a Command-Tab to swap out of the game to the desktop and then went back to the game, the game graphics were hopelessly screwed up. I told her about /exit to get out of the game, and that worked. Just now, after doing the font fix - again, no reboot - she went in to the game and was able to cleanly swap out and back in to the game!

So odd stuff. I would still definitely recommend the reboot to clear the caches. There's a couple of utilities that I recommend for deeper cache flushing. If you're running Sierra, you can still run Yasu if you can find a copy, another cache cleaner that does all sorts of system maintenance things and is free is Cocktail and has versions for many versions of MacOS from current on down the line. Yasu is now a dead product, it was taking too much of the developer's time to keep it going so he killed it, I think Sierra was the last version he released.

I learned two more things today regarding this issue. My wife has the same 2015 15" MacBook Pro Retina, and like me, also running Sierra. Also garbled text. She didn't want to reboot because she's in the middle of doing Q3 scheduling for her telescope (she's an astronomer and scheduling is a crazily complicated process). So I suggested that we go ahead and try doing the font cleanup and not reboot and just see what happens.

Doing the font cleanup without the reboot was enough to cleanup the launcher text! We will do a reboot as soon as she finishes this phase of scheduling and she can afford to close down all the programs and windows she has open to do her job.

The second thing is curious. We've suspected for a long time that her video card might be twitchy. After doing the Wine install and while her launcher fonts were messed up, if she was in the game with a character loaded and did a three-finger swipe or a Command-Tab to swap out of the game to the desktop and then went back to the game, the game graphics were hopelessly screwed up. I told her about /exit to get out of the game, and that worked. Just now, after doing the font fix - again, no reboot - she went in to the game and was able to cleanly swap out and back in to the game!

So odd stuff. I would still definitely recommend the reboot to clear the caches. There's a couple of utilities that I recommend for deeper cache flushing. If you're running Sierra, you can still run Yasu if you can find a copy, another cache cleaner that does all sorts of system maintenance things and is free is Cocktail and has versions for many versions of MacOS from current on down the line. Yasu is now a dead product, it was taking too much of the developer's time to keep it going so he killed it, I think Sierra was the last version he released.
    Thanks for the details, Cloudster.

Cleaning the font caches was just me being through, as remote troubleshooting is obviously time consuming and if we can do multiple steps at the same time is better for everybody. If the caches are not corrupted (and apparently they are not, since the issue is resolved), there is no need to flush them, I'd say. Even better!

The issue of the game graphics could still be font related (some applications deal with part of the graphics as if they where fonts, so they could be messed up by font issues. Of course I do not know if LoTRO work this way or not…), and independent of the graphic card, but is just a possibility, Of course…

Happy playing!

I'm using a 2009 Imac with maxed memory, OS10.11.6 & a NVIDIA 9400 graphic card.
    Only issues I have with the new wine client apart from more frequent lag spikes are minor.

The client reset nearly everything, including graphics & some keymapping on download.

Took me a couple of minutes to copy & paste the plugins , skins & music & then ½ an hour to find where they now needed to be.

The text in panels is a bit erratic re size & readability, but I can see all the list of servers.

Only non readable issue was during the update where instead of progress bars I got a line o f white boxes with a barely legible % count on them.

Could your font issues be linked to your default system fonts?

Quote Originally Posted by Periadot View Post
    […]Took me a couple of minutes to copy & paste the plugins , skins & music & then ½ an hour to find where they now needed to be.

Could your font issues be linked to your default system fonts?
    Hi Periadot!

Could you give us the exact path where the plugins, skin and music need to go? Tnx!

About the fonts, we have identified the cause of the issue to duplicate or corrupted fonts.

Wink It worked - thank you so much!

Good luck!
    Thanks for this great tip, I can now read everything on the login window and can not only find my servers, but can click do download high res files and 64-bit. This thread has saved me from rage quitting the game and not resubscribing to VIP - SSG DOES owe you something, as you've been more help than they ever were.

Quote Originally Posted by MiketheUruk View Post
    Thanks for this great tip, I can now read everything on the login window and can not only find my servers, but can click do download high res files and 64-bit. This thread has saved me from rage quitting the game and not resubscribing to VIP - SSG DOES owe you something, as you've been more help than they ever were.
    Great to hear it Mike!

Have fun, now!