We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mac Client???What happened????

now ,the client Upgrade U24, need add 2800+files .then I enter the game ,Give me a hint ?is this

==============
    connexion failed:
    you do not have the current version of the client installed
    ==============

why????

Same issue. Repair didn't help

Looks like we should move to wine version of client, stated here
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...64#post7928264

Yes, if you are currently using the old MacOS client and run into an issue, please download and use the new Wine client for MacOS here: http://live.lotro.com/sites/clientdl.../lotrolive.dmg

You can learn more about the Wine client here: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ilable-and-FAQ
    Last edited by Cordovan; Jun 04 2019 at 04:58 PM.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

so i downloaded update, then new wine client - fine

now that client is trying to download 19500MB (19.5 GB) of 'game files' - presume thats a complete re-install - is that normal ?- urgh

Quote Originally Posted by Caitwyn View Post
    so i downloaded update, then new wine client - fine

now that client is trying to download 19500MB (19.5 GB) of 'game files' - presume thats a complete re-install - is that normal ?- urgh
    Correct, moving to the Wine client is a one-time reinstallation of the game client.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Cannot launch

I have charged the new Mac client. After the languages screens, begins to checkout product and failed, “the request cannot be sent”. Have to uninstall the old client?

Seems to be a complete re-installation. Since WINE is a Windows emulator, it seems logical that the WINE-based version would download the entire Windows version of the game, or nearly so. I am still waiting for this download to complete, so I don't know what will happen next. If by some miracle it works, my next question will be whether I can then completely remove the 35GB comprising the previous Mac version of the game launcher (you know, the one that just downloaded a ton of stuff before telling me I had the wrong client).

This isn't rocket science, SSG (I should know; I did computer support for rocket scientists for 25 years). Even if you don't have the capability in-house for packaging all this stuff up neatly, there are ways of telling us what to do.

Exclamation Same problem

I have the same problem. After installing the new update today it won't open the game and keeps showing this:

"Connection failed:
    You do not have the current version of the client installed."

Repair doesn't work. I also tried to download the new Wine, but I can't open the dmg. Keeps showing:

"Warning: The following disk images couldn't be opened." And
    "Reason: corrupt image"

Please help! What is going on? How can I get the game to open?

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Yes, if you are currently using the old MacOS client and run into an issue, please download and use the new Wine client for MacOS here: http://live.lotro.com/sites/clientdl.../lotrolive.dmg

You can learn more about the Wine client here: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ilable-and-FAQ
    OK I did reinstall. This is a NEW problem.

I played for a while, then after logging out, I can't find the launcher anymore.

Looking for it in Applications folder finds nothing, using Spotlight finds nothing, I can't find the .app I need to click or make a shortcut to.

No shortcut was placed on my desktop and I can't find the program at all.

Note that ALL Mac users almost never do the obvious and look in folders, but I'm looking. I've unhidden just about everything I can think of ~/Library, /Applications... everything else that might be hidden... I've tried to open a terminal and type "wine start lotroclient" and the result is "unknown program" error.

In the folder, Users/(username)/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/Common/ ------ there are files here that look like game files, but there isn't anything I can launch. Nothing in there is a .app so it doesn't help me.

What is the step by step method for lauching the game in Mac now?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shirewhistle View Post
    OK I did reinstall. This is a NEW problem.

I played for a while, then after logging out, I can't find the launcher anymore.

Looking for it in Applications folder finds nothing, using Spotlight finds nothing, I can't find the .app I need to click or make a shortcut to.

No shortcut was placed on my desktop and I can't find the program at all.

Note that ALL Mac users almost never do the obvious and look in folders, but I'm looking. I've unhidden just about everything I can think of ~/Library, /Applications... everything else that might be hidden... I've tried to open a terminal and type "wine start lotroclient" and the result is "unknown program" error.

In the folder, Users/(username)/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/Common/ ------ there are files here that look like game files, but there isn't anything I can launch. Nothing in there is a .app so it doesn't help me.

What is the step by step method for lauching the game in Mac now?

Thanks!
    FIXED

OK sorry to quote myself, but to save hair follicles for other Mac users, the fix was to delete the old Lotro Client, especially from Launcher (App Launcher, looks like a space ship), that was essential. Then use the installer and say "Replace" when it tells you that it's already installed.

I did not have to wait for a full second reinstall, it just made me a new shortcut in the spaceship looking Launcher list and then, I was able to log in like usual.

So my advice is, if you're installing the Mac client, get your screenshots from the old one, then delete the old one... make sure the icon is gone from the App Launcher, and then do the reinstall.

I hope that's the only problem. The shortcut I had was to the old lotroclient and did not update during reinstall.

OLD: lordoftheringsonline.app is the OLD launcher on Mac

NEW: lotroclient.app is the NEW launcher

Both should be in the "Applications" folder

stuck

I got as far as downloading the .dmg and installing lotroclient.app. When I open lotroclient, the icon bounces on the dock for about a minute and then "Application Not Responding." Have to force quit & try again, but it's the same story each time.

For what it's worth, I was never able to get the standalone lotroclient to run on my older Mac. The only way I could play the game at all was to go through Steam, so that's what I did on this newer Mac. Of course that's no longer an option as of U24.

What if I use Steam to play? Do I still have to uninstall the old client?

splash screen is in gibberish - not English

I downloaded the lotroclient through Wine
    now the splash screen is in Sanskrit for all I know - it is not English, so I can't read anything
    And yes, I did select English for the language preferences when I was downloading the program
    Xav....on Windfola....

When attempting to install the new Mac client, I get this message:

"Windows 2000 High Encryption Pack is required by The Lord of the Rings Online™ in order to run.

Please install it now before proceeding with the installation process:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...ed/encryption/

Click Retry to run this test again once you have installed the required software, or click Cancel now to exit setup. You may run this setup again at anytime."

Have tried re-downloading the client several times, only to end up at the same message. Any ways around this?

I have see all yours message, for my part, when i start the launcher, all my mac freeze. I can do nothing, and the launcher never start. He just come in my dock down.
    So, i stop my mac with switch off....

my mac is mac pro, 16GO, I7, etc simply more than necessary for lotro, i was running him easy before the launcher wine.

(i am french, sorry for my bad english)

Thank you all
    Last edited by darketoile; Jun 05 2019 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn_of_Smaug View Post
    When attempting to install the new Mac client, I get this message:

"Windows 2000 High Encryption Pack is required by The Lord of the Rings Online™ in order to run.

Please install it now before proceeding with the installation process:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...ed/encryption/

Click Retry to run this test again once you have installed the required software, or click Cancel now to exit setup. You may run this setup again at anytime."

Have tried re-downloading the client several times, only to end up at the same message. Any ways around this?
    Same problem AND when I entered the url they gave, I got a message "we are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found". Then I did a search on the MS website for "Windows 2000 High Encryption Pack". When I did that search a lot of links showed up but none were clearly what I was looking for (they were mostly discussions of the encryption system). What now? Can't find the pack to install, can't finish Wine install without that pack, can't finish LOTRO install without wine....

Quote Originally Posted by xndoc View Post
    I downloaded the lotroclient through Wine
    now the splash screen is in Sanskrit for all I know - it is not English, so I can't read anything
    And yes, I did select English for the language preferences when I was downloading the program
    xndoc, does your launcher look like these images?

https://imgur.com/a/L55H4Lh

(sorry, can't figure out how to add the images directly to this post)

If so, I have a thread about this issue here: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...rbled-text-fix

Cydrith has responded to that thread, but so far no resolution has been given. If you find a fix, please respond with your solution! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by coffeedog View Post
    I got as far as downloading the .dmg and installing lotroclient.app. When I open lotroclient, the icon bounces on the dock for about a minute and then "Application Not Responding." Have to force quit & try again, but it's the same story each time.

For what it's worth, I was never able to get the standalone lotroclient to run on my older Mac. The only way I could play the game at all was to go through Steam, so that's what I did on this newer Mac. Of course that's no longer an option as of U24.
    Hi,

you have to wait for a long time. After the bouncing of the dock icon had stoped it took round about 15-20 minutes until the next step appeared. So - stay patient

Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Correct, moving to the Wine client is a one-time reinstallation of the game client.

I've updated to U24 and downloaded this new Mac client.

I still get the "Connexion failed: You are not using the current version of the client." error.

Oh well!

Tried again and this time it did eventually start downloading some Wine stuff. First a Mono thing, then a Gecko installer. Then it said I needed to download the Gecko installer... yes, the one I just downloaded. So... yeah.

I also got the error about needing a Windows 200 High Encryption Pack, with the non-working link. I found the pack on Cnet and downloaded it, but of course it won't open on my Mac. So I hit 'cancel' and it went to the Wine Mono download, then Gecko. After getting stuck in that loop I hit 'cancel' again and the whole thing exited. So now I'm back at trying to run Lotroclient, with the no-longer-bouncing ring and the "application not responding", which may or may not mean what it appears to mean.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...55#post7937455 doesn't seem to actually download anything but a 0k file (?) Firefox tells me "This file is not commonly downloaded. Sorry I don't have Windows Explorer 6000.
    Last edited by Aamu; Jun 05 2019 at 10:26 PM.

Tech support says they don't support the mac client

So my problem is fixed, but tech support got back to me finally and said they don't support the mac client. Seems like they're mistaken since a whole new mac client was just created. Is this true? Is it not supported?

Quote Originally Posted by Shirewhistle View Post
    So my problem is fixed, but tech support got back to me finally and said they don't support the mac client. Seems like they're mistaken since a whole new mac client was just created. Is this true? Is it not supported?
    Glad to hear your problem was resolved!

"Supported" is an interesting term.

If by supported we mean "are they going to keep distributing a wine client for mac and fixing things in it that are broken?" then according to what the devs and blue names have said, yes, it's supported. If by supported we mean "will the tech support folks respond with assistance if we run into problem with the client?" then no, it isn't supported.

In all honesty it was never "supported" by Tech Support. It's been "beta" since it was released some number of years ago. SSG doesn't appear to have anyone on the Tech Support staff who knows anything about the mac client (or they aren't tasked to help with it), so we have to come here to the Mac Forum and attempt to support each other. Some at SSG are, however tasked with reading the threads here and taking the issues to the development staff. They also offer whatever help they might have.

Bottom line, we each have to decide if we're willing to pay the same amount to SSG for no support from Tech Support as Windows users pay, who do get official Tech Support, and choose our actions accordingly. (ugh, that was an awful sentence :/)

Yes. They pretty much don't want our money anymore. OR participation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast