We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

WoW Classic Lotro Group

So I am currently playing the WoW Classic Beta and I must say that the hype is real.

I wont be quitting lotro when Classic releases as I have time for both but if anyone else is interested in maybe we can form a Lotro Guild or Discord.

I plan on playing Human Paladin, since its probably the closest to a Warden WoW has.

Hope to see you in the game!

It doesn't have the landscape level scaling does it? That made me quit last year. I would hate for Classic WoW to have it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    It doesn't have the landscape level scaling does it? That made me quit last year. I would hate for Classic WoW to have it.
    Nope, Classic is the game as it was in 2004-2006. No scaling, no lfr, no lfg, no flying, no transmog. Lots of other QoL features removed. It's a bit old school compared to Modern Mmo' s but it's still pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWolf21x View Post
    Nope, Classic is the game as it was in 2004-2006. No scaling, no lfr, no lfg, no flying, no transmog. Lots of other QoL features removed. It's a bit old school compared to Modern Mmo' s but it's still pretty great.
    That's good to hear, when does it come out of Beta?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

That's good to hear, when does it come out of Beta?
    Tuesday, August 27th is the release date.

Edit: All it requires is a WoW subscription to play.

I am looking to start up on launch and grind through with a focus on raiding. It would be awesome to get as many lotro in one guild. Let's get this thing rolling and poat here so we can choose a server

Never played WOW but just reading the description I have to ask, is there much solo content? I am pretty casual in my playing.

Reading more can you play the Classic version free up to level 20?

Also if there is a Loto guild and I am able to play the game what server is everyone starting on?
    Last edited by DuncanMcDermott; Aug 13 2019 at 06:19 PM.
    I dance for cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMcDermott View Post
    Never played WOW but just reading the description I have to ask, is there much solo content? I am pretty casual in my playing.

Most of the content is solo. There are group quests out there, dungeons, and raids, but none of them are required unless you want the best gear and every last scrap of story. Ironically, one of the things people criticize LotRO for is that it plays just like WoW. Accurate.

You cannot play Classic for free, it requires a subscription to the full regular game.
    What I do, I do in the name of peace.

I kept on reading and saw that the Classic version is sub. I have the game downloaded and will give it a try to see how I like it. Not sure which server to start on so I will just grab the first one.
    I dance for cookies!

I don't know if I am going to like this game or not, let me list the reasons.

1 the game play was flawless no lag at all, no crashes.
    2 I started a hunter and my pet never got stuck or wandered off.
    3 I got to fly on a helicopter, how cool is that?
    4 I know it is a cartoonish type game but the colors and detail is terrific!

This game started a year before Lotro is that right? Amazing the differences. I don't know if tonight was an exception as far as connection if it wasn't it's great.
    I am thinking that the starting area didn't have agro like Lotro's didn't.
    I am going to give the game a go to level 20. If I still like it at that point I will buy into it. After 9 years it will be strange to pay a sub fee but it just might be worth it.
    I dance for cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Knight19 View Post
    I am looking to start up on launch and grind through with a focus on raiding. It would be awesome to get as many lotro in one guild. Let's get this thing rolling and poat here so we can choose a server
    I'm planning on playing with my old group of high school friends. But I may have time to roll another character on a different server. We can see if anyone else is interested. As I said, I would like to roll a Pally.

Also if there is a Loto guild and I am able to play the game what server is everyone starting on?
    I kept on reading and saw that the Classic version is sub. I have the game downloaded and will give it a try to see how I like it. Not sure which server to start on so I will just grab the first one.
    I don't know if I am going to like this game or not, let me list the reasons.
    1 the game play was flawless no lag at all, no crashes.
    2 I started a hunter and my pet never got stuck or wandered off.
    3 I got to fly on a helicopter, how cool is that?
    4 I know it is a cartoonish type game but the colors and detail is terrific!
    This game started a year before Lotro is that right? Amazing the differences. I don't know if tonight was an exception as far as connection if it wasn't it's great.
    I am thinking that the starting area didn't have agro like Lotro's didn't.
    I am going to give the game a go to level 20. If I still like it at that point I will buy into it. After 9 years it will be strange to pay a sub fee but it just might be worth it.
    In case you don't know, there are two WoW games available. One is "Retail" and the other is "Classic" Edit: Your WoW Subscription will allow you play both.

"Retail" is currently playable now and is what you played. It is a very refined MMO experience and as you said above is quite a difference from Lotro. "Retail" is very solo friendly with systems like group finder and scaling in place to help players play at their pace and not over level certain areas. There is also a lot of side content options that give solo players many things to do other than turn to group content. "Retail" has also gone through dozens of major changes since WoW released 15 years ago. This is where "Classic" comes in.

"Classic" is WoW as it was when it released back in 2004. What makes "Classic" special is that nearly every design decision was made around Community and Player Interaction. There is no group finder to encourage players to talk in LFG. Mail has a 1hr delay to encourage players to meet in person. No flying mounts so you can see players as you ride past them. Limited hubs so players all gathered in one place. "Classic" is the epitome of Community Driven Game.

Edit: "Classic" is also from 2004 and thus doesn't have many of the QoL features we have today. No auto loot, no cosmetic system, no quest helper. It is rather old school, though not as old school as the OG's like Everquest.

Many people would also say that "Classic" is very grindy. If you pull more than 2 enemies at a time (depending on class and skill, sometimes more than 1!) you have a great chance of dying. Gear drops and reputations grinds are very slow, which sounds terrible but it actually makes the rewards worth it. Even the dungeons/raids are long, 10-15 boss affairs that could take hours (Carn Dum ) I don't want to say that "Classic" is solo unfriendly but you will have a slower experience going solo than you would if you were part of a group/guild.

You could get away playing solo as long as you were social. But trying to play "Classic" as a antisocial soloist may not work out very well. Also, even though "Classic" isn't very solo friendly, it is casual friendly. Progression isn't gated behind reputations/dailies so you can progress at a decent pace without playing 24/7.

Many people, including many of us on here, are excited for "Classic". It is probably the best MMO ever released? If it sounds like something you want to try I say give it a shot. And if you don't like it you can just hop back to "Retail" which is a good game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Druidsfire View Post
    Most of the content is solo. There are group quests out there, dungeons, and raids, but none of them are required unless you want the best gear and every last scrap of story. Ironically, one of the things people criticize LotRO for is that it plays just like WoW. Accurate.
    You cannot play Classic for free, it requires a subscription to the full regular game.
    I like to view WoW and Lotro as the same game but with different stories.

WoW started off hot. Blizzard had a plan and executed it very well. They then doubled down on the game success by hiring more developers, investing in better hardware and doing whatever else they needed to improve the game. And now 15 years later WoW is still a top MMO, with 2-3 large content updates a year, numerous raids and even if Blizzard makes a mistakes, they have 200+ devs that can fix it within months.

Lotro too started off hot. Except it felt like Turbine never had a plan. Things like radiance, content droughts and a lack of raid/pvmp development caused players to leave. And Turbine never really reinvested in their game. For example WoW got 64 bit client in 2013, and here Lotro is 6 years late. Mistakes like these (not SSG, as much as people like to blame them.) are the main reasons why Lotro is down to a small player base, small dev team with 1-2 small content updates a year.

Which is a shame because Lotro had so much potential. It could have been "the Goat" of MMO if it wanted too. That's why I want a Lotro 2.0. more than anything else. I have a vision for a Lotro 2.0 (https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...or-a-Lotro-2-0) that I think would be pretty good, just need someone to take a chance.

Edit: Grammer
    Last edited by WhiteWolf21x; Aug 13 2019 at 11:09 PM.

If I do buy into the game the retail version I buy will have both retail and classic versions available to me. One area I had problems with last night was remembering to stop and click on the corpse to collect my loot. Too use am I from playing this game that I can just kill and run, collecting loot at the same time.

I saw that I could transfer my character to another server but I didn't read anywhere what the cost was to do so. Is it expensive?

While I wait for the Amazon Lotro game to be released WOW could keep me interested. I love Lotro but the list of irritations has been growing lately. A fresh game is never a bad idea. I just hate those sub fees.
    I dance for cookies!

If I do buy into the game the retail version I buy will have both retail and classic versions available to me. One area I had problems with last night was remembering to stop and click on the corpse to collect my loot. Too use am I from playing this game that I can just kill and run, collecting loot at the same time.

I saw that I could transfer my character to another server but I didn't read anywhere what the cost was to do so. Is it expensive?

While I wait for the Amazon Lotro game to be released WOW could keep me interested. I love Lotro but the list of irritations has been growing lately. A fresh game is never a bad idea. I just hate those sub fees.

It's for that reason I'm seriously considering trying Classic WoW too. I'm on board with the sub fees too lol. Got spoiled with lifetime.

Played WoW back in 2007, and got to about level 45 with a dwarf hunter. Blizzard keep sending me stuff like free level 100 character boosts etc. to come back, but having put so much time into LOTRO now, I couldn’t start all that back up again. I just haven’t got time for two MMOs.

It was fun, I admit, but I can’t help preferring the style, the costumes and the lore from LOTRO. I hope you guys find time for both, and don’t disappear altogether from here - that would be a sad day
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Your subscription will allow you to play both Retail and Classic. The only other cost is for Retail, which is $60 for the most recent expansion and $10 for everything else.

While I enjoy Lotro's loot system, I sometimes wonder if its harmful to health of the game compared to WoW's system. On that note, Retail's system is AoE looting, meaning all bodies in a certain radius will be looted by clicking on one body. Classic looting is on a per click basis.

There is a server transfer token, it should be in the store. However Retail has a lot of cross server systems in place so I wouldn't suggest transferring unless you really wanted to. Classic has no cross server (with the exception of PvP Battlegrounds) so picking a server is more important.

Classic server transfers are different. Blizzard wants to recreate an authentic Vanilla experience so however server transfers were done in 2004 are how you transfer characters in Classic. You can't transfer a character between Retail and Classic for obvious reasons.

Look at the sub fees this way. Lotro went F2P however the game tends to push players to the store to spend on microtransactions, via keys, solvents, boosts etc. You also have the quest pack/expansion fiasco which can be confusing to some. WoW is a flat $15 a month, no more than that and no store to push players to. F2P has its benefits but I think for MMO's its pretty clear which business model is better for long term success.

It's for that reason I'm seriously considering trying Classic WoW too. I'm on board with the sub fees too lol. Got spoiled with lifetime.
    Vanilla WoW is definitely a different experience from most MMO's. I recommend everyone try it, its well worth the $15 a month.

Lifetime is definitely a great deal for the players. For the game however it was a terrible idea lol. Personally wouldn't allow it to happen for my vision of Lotro 2.0. sorry to say.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Played WoW back in 2007, and got to about level 45 with a dwarf hunter. Blizzard keep sending me stuff like free level 100 character boosts etc. to come back, but having put so much time into LOTRO now, I couldn’t start all that back up again. I just haven’t got time for two MMOs.

It was fun, I admit, but I can’t help preferring the style, the costumes and the lore from LOTRO. I hope you guys find time for both, and don’t disappear altogether from here - that would be a sad day
    I'm with Lotro till the end. Too much I enjoy along with the upcoming expansion gives me no reason to leave.