We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How do you control this game?

Hey all!

I recently bought a dedicated MMO mouse and it has transformed the way I play. Twelve buttons on the side, mean I have every skill at my thumb-tip. I have assigned the side buttons as 1-0, - and + and just need to ctrl/alt/shift etc and click. Brilliant. All of a sudden, kiting is so much easier and hitting skills is so much faster and more responsive. This is what I bought:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UtechSmart-...gateway&sr=8-1

It is absolute genius and I couldn’t recommend it more. It takes a bit of getting used to but after a couple of weeks using it I wouldn’t go back.

Was wondering what everyone else uses for their setup. Keyboard only? Point and click? What do people use if they are seriously raiding etc?
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; May 26 2019 at 09:26 AM.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

2 Long Street, Corstead, Bree-land Homesteads, Crickhollow, Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Hey all!

I recently bought a dedicated MMO mouse and it has transformed the way I play. Twelve buttons on the side, mean I have every skill at my thumb-tip. I have assigned the side buttons as 1-0, - and + and just need to ctrl/alt/shift etc and click. Brilliant. All of a sudden, kiting is so much easier and hitting skills is so much faster and more responsive. This is what I bought:

It is absolute genius and I couldn’t recommend it more. It takes a bit of getting used to but after a couple of weeks using it I wouldn’t go back.

Was wondering what everyone else uses for their setup. Keyboard only? Point and click? What do people use if they are seriously raiding etc?
    I had something similar but fewer buttons. Never got used to it, mixed up buttons, even when not in game, tricky to configure for OS and Game. Dunno, could be that one is easier, but bottom line, I tend to stick with keyboard ans sometime use macros with the keyb software, but to me, the more buttons a mouse has, the greater the confusion for my poor thumb. I have 4 buttons on my mouse now, plus scroll wheel, and only use two.

Should you get comfy with it, and actually get it up in Lotro with a good config, I am happy for you, but if the game lags, the buttons wont work very well.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Crickhollow
    Malancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf

You put me to shame! I just have a cheap $30 gaming mouse lol.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

No lag so far, either in landscape or instances. Occasionally I might mash two buttons together, but not often. Other than that, no issues. To start with I couldn’t find the buttons in the middle, but I’ve got used to it. Placing skills like heals or anti-stuns on ctrl and 1 or ctrl and + makes it really fast to pop them in a tight spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    You put me to shame! I just have a cheap $30 gaming mouse lol.
    This one is only £30! There are some like the Razr and Corsair ones that can be £100+, but this one was relatively cheap.

This one is only £30! There are some like the Razr and Corsair ones that can be £100+, but this one was relatively cheap.
    That's way cool! On my mouse, I have a button for nearest enemy, another for auto run, and another for mount/dismount. I tell ya, I don't miss the mouse ball days where you had to take that stupid ball out of your mouse and clean it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

That's way cool! On my mouse, I have a button for nearest enemy, another for auto run, and another for mount/dismount. I tell ya, I don't miss the mouse ball days where you had to take that stupid ball out of your mouse and clean it.
    Well, at least you could tear it apart and make it work again, nowadays that is not as easy....
    Malancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf

Nice points both! You can still buy ball mice in some places, but I don’t think I’ve seen one since I was at school. True - once the laser goes its pretty much just a paperweight.

Nymphonic - you’ve given me some good ideas for key mapping there - I don’t need mount/dismount or nearest target as I can now just use the side buttons (shift and 0 I think I have my favourite mount on) and if I press a number once it selects the nearest enemy anyway (second press activates the skill). But auto-run is a good shout as num lock is a rubbish key for that. I might map auto run to the fire key (just left of the left click).

As i'm a left hander, i use this https://support.logitech.com/en_us/p...s-gaming-mouse . Pretty affordable + like the extra buttons at the side of the two main buttons. It's pretty small though, and had to adjust a bit, as i had a big Razor mouse before. After getting used to the size i'm happy about it.

Nice points both! You can still buy ball mice in some places, but I don’t think I’ve seen one since I was at school. True - once the laser goes its pretty much just a paperweight.

Nymphonic - you’ve given me some good ideas for key mapping there - I don’t need mount/dismount or nearest target as I can now just use the side buttons (shift and 0 I think I have my favourite mount on) and if I press a number once it selects the nearest enemy anyway (second press activates the skill). But auto-run is a good shout as num lock is a rubbish key for that. I might map auto run to the fire key (just left of the left click).
    Oh that auto run button on my mouse is my bread and butter in LOTRO. I have a button that my thumb rests on allocated for that purpose.

Hey all!

I have something similar to that for my right hand, and one of these for my left hand.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

Quote Originally Posted by Thurallor View Post
    I have something similar to that for my right hand, and one of these for my left hand.
    I am amazed by those who learn to handle that kind of input. Probably a lot more ergonomic as well.

OK, now you're taking things to a whole new level! I've never seen one of those before, but it looks like fun > I can't quite work out how you would hold it, but I bet it is way more comfortable than using a keyboard. Did someone call for a health and safety workstation assessment?

The Naga looks nice, but the 12 buttons are quite flat. What I like about the Venus is the rows are contoured, so you can more easily feel where to put your thumb by the slope of the keys.

and one of these for my left hand.
    I love the thumb stick on the right side of that thing!

I have two side keys, one for next item and one for next NPC. Very useful in the hedge maze since you can use your mouse to keep circling through the items/NPCs (until you find the one you need, especially for the elves since there are also a lot of townpersons) while using your left hand to navigate.

I use a regular $30 wireless KB+M combo. I rely on consistent key bindings and modifiers across my MMOs, so I can transfer the muscle memory between.

Oh that auto run button on my mouse is my bread and butter in LOTRO. I have a button that my thumb rests on allocated for that purpose.
    Left-of-the-left-click button now programmed; thanks for the tip!

I use a regular $30 wireless KB+M combo. I rely on consistent key bindings and modifiers across my MMOs, so I can transfer the muscle memory between.
    Yeah, that makes sense. I remember WoW (a long time ago) being very similar to LOTRO in the interface, so I could transfer mine to that, but I can imagine needing to be more consistent with other MMOs that are controlled differently. LOTRO is pretty much the only game I play these days though, aside from occasionally Destiny 2 or CSGO.

My weapon of choice for at least twenty years.
    "Lead me, follow me, but get out of my way!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_Archer View Post
    My weapon of choice for at least twenty years.
    That’s awesome. It looks like a cryostasis pod for some kind of alien

Quote Originally Posted by Endoloose View Post
    As i'm a left hander, i use this https://support.logitech.com/en_us/p...s-gaming-mouse . Pretty affordable + like the extra buttons at the side of the two main buttons. It's pretty small though, and had to adjust a bit, as i had a big Razor mouse before. After getting used to the size i'm happy about it.
    I'm right-handed, and I use G300 as well. Cheap, and has all the extra few buttons I need, in just the right places. I've assigned the right shoulder buttons to Shift and Ctrl (Alt I use with my left thumb), and the left ones are for emergency skills. With that combo, I can launch 15-20 combat skills without looking at the skill bar, (plus a few more if I reach a bit) and I've found that good enough for the content I do, on the classes that i mainly play.

Too bad they have stopped making that exact model (AFAIK), or they don't just import it here where I live anymore. My G300's scroll wheel has broken and I've tried to find a replacement mouse, but so far I haven't been able to spot one that feels the same, has somewhat similar button placement, and is in that price category. Still use it though, and use num pad keys to zoom when needed.

i use a corsair scimitar and a logitech g13, the g13 is great for moving around, with the comination of these 2 i only touch my keyboard to chat.

Quote Originally Posted by TharbadThief View Post
    I'm right-handed, and I use G300 as well. Cheap, and has all the extra few buttons I need, in just the right places. I've assigned the right shoulder buttons to Shift and Ctrl (Alt I use with my left thumb), and the left ones are for emergency skills. With that combo, I can launch 15-20 combat skills without looking at the skill bar, (plus a few more if I reach a bit) and I've found that good enough for the content I do, on the classes that i mainly play.

Too bad they have stopped making that exact model (AFAIK), or they don't just import it here where I live anymore. My G300's scroll wheel has broken and I've tried to find a replacement mouse, but so far I haven't been able to spot one that feels the same, has somewhat similar button placement, and is in that price category. Still use it though, and use num pad keys to zoom when needed.
    The G300S replaced the G300 some ago, it is still selling as new from different dealers. one here https://www.newegg.com/logitech-910-...82E16826197034

I've got the G300S. i use 1-5 as standard rotation stuff. 6 is key bound to middle mouse button and is always my interrupt on all characters. 7-0 are bound to the 4 mouse buttons and typically are my finisher skills. Shift + 1-5 usually AoE skills and Shift + mouse buttons are heals etc. Remaining stuff that i hardly use are Ctrl +

I play WoW, FF14 and LoTRO on and off and these bindings work for all games, so quite easy to remember