We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Chess Board

Chess Board

Chess Board:

I don't think I have seen such an item in the store, or ever mentioned in any of the forum posts I have read.

It would be an ideal item for setting up in the kin-house or any house.

Great Festival prise.
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

I love this idea, as I love to play chess. Not sure how well it would work if we players had to play the pieces as that takes a lot of players all standing around for what could be a very long time, but being able to move pieces and leave them as they were til the game is resumed would be great.

Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    I love this idea, as I love to play chess. Not sure how well it would work if we players had to play the pieces as that takes a lot of players all standing around for what could be a very long time, but being able to move pieces and leave them as they were til the game is resumed would be great.

I was just thinking of this idea. I would love to play chess on lotro on a giant chess board.
    Also would probably bring back fond memories to those who witnessed the giant chess board/pieces in EverQuest.

Can I sign more than once?

I like a lot this idea.
    Do not know the big chessboard persistence how it can be done with the current sw baseline, as looks like persistence in game is limited only to specific things, and is very problematic. In this moment not even a fireplace remains burning if I leave and reenter my house...

I would absolutely buy with store real money a little chess board furniture or the receipt to woodworker for making one!

A minigame activated by clicking on the furniture board, in the house, would be great. Just inviting a friend in house and making a playing
    The pieces could be obviously LOTRO races based… Tower as Dwarves, Bishop as Elves, Horses as Rohirrim, pawns as men or hobbits in the White side, and on the Black side could be Trolls, Wights, Orcs… Animations would be a great nice-to-have (I remember the 3D chess for DOS I used to play in 80's)

Being this a side project not LOTRO contract based, may be the mini game could be given as external project for free willing companies that could realize the mini game having in exchange of a little fee from the chess store gain. It needs NDAs and good wills, but could be even done.

/signed!

I absolutely LOVE the idea of there being a recipe for woodworkers to craft a chessboard/ chessboard and table! While making a "playable" game would be amazing, just having the board in a kinhouse as a decoration would still be nice. (And I do have fond memories of the giant chessboard in EQ! That was one of my favorite things!)

...when in doubt...twirl...

I like chess and this a good idea. /signed
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Wow, having a mini-game would be beyond cool.
    But I was just thinking of a decorative item.
    Perhaps a series of them displaying classic setups such as Ruy Lopez, Sicilian Defense, Queen's Gambit...etc.

Maybe MOL could develop a Quest Arc or Deed Series involving chess in some way with the final reward being these chessboard/table decorations.

Substitute the checkers with chessmen and the bottles with ale-mugs....
    Would be worth grinding.
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.

nope!
    not for lotr!
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    nope!
    not for lotr!
    Why not? It is lore appropriate. Consider...

"The board is set, and the pieces are moving. One piece that I greatly desire to find is Faramir, now the heir of Denethor. I do not think that he is in the City; but I have had no time to gather news. I must go, Pippin. I must go to this lords’ council and learn what I can. But the Enemy has the move, and he is about to open his full game. And pawns are likely to see as much of it as any, Peregrin son of Paladin, soldier of Gondor. Sharpen your blade!’"

And then a short time later…

"Pippin looked at him: tall and proud and noble, as all the men that he had yet seen in that land; and with a glitter in his eye as he thought of the battle. ‘Alas! my own hand feels as light as a feather,’ he thought, but he said nothing. ‘A pawn did Gandalf say? Perhaps; but on the wrong chessboard.’"
    Last edited by Boraxxe; May 25 2019 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Why not? It is lore appropriate. Consider...

"The board is set, and the pieces are moving. One piece that I greatly desire to find is Faramir, now the heir of Denethor. I do not think that he is in the City; but I have had no time to gather news. I must go, Pippin. I must go to this lords’ council and learn what I can. But the Enemy has the move, and he is about to open his full game. And pawns are likely to see as much of it as any, Peregrin son of Paladin, soldier of Gondor. Sharpen your blade!’"

And then a short time later…

"Pippin looked at him: tall and proud and noble, as all the men that he had yet seen in that land; and with a glitter in his eye as he thought of the battle. ‘Alas! my own hand feels as light as a feather,’ he thought, but he said nothing. ‘A pawn did Gandalf say? Perhaps; but on the wrong chessboard.’"
    Right this what was said in the book. so its there.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Of course, considering the time period, Gandalf may have been talking about, not chess, but hnefatafl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafl_games

For in-game purposes, however, I fear it may not fly. Back in Asheron's Call, there were chessboards laid out on various parts of the landscape; I think the assumption was that fighters would assemble teams and play "live chess". I never saw anyone using them.

We've seen several responses on this thread from people who play both LotRO and chess. The question is, how many such players are there?

I suspect, not many.

Thus completely side-stepping the question of how difficult it would be to make a proper, working chessboard that would put the pieces where the players wanted to put them.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Of course, considering the time period, Gandalf may have been talking about, not chess, but hnefatafl.
    Chess has been played around since the 6th century, so the time Period is right for it as well hnefatafl, not sure what you mean there, though you could say that chess is a modern translator talking so its readers understand it, kinda like this quote "The dragon passed like an express train" but that's describing what sounded like vs Pippin an actual character talking about and saying it I don't think is a modern translator, and they are in fact were playing chess.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    Chess has been played around since the 6th century, so the time Period is right for it as well hnefatafl, not sure what you mean there...
    Well, I provided a link upthread, if you're really interested.

Hnefatafl, like chess, is a war-game played on a board. One player has a king (or thane, or something) and a number of warriors, and the other has just warriors. The king is in the center of the board, surrounded by his warriors, and the other side tries to eliminate them and kill the king. Very Old Norse. We actually had a hnefatafl board and pieces once, but I don't remember if we ever played it, and I doubt we still have it. As the old saw goes, three moves equal one fire.

I'm not sure if enough people would play it to justify whatever costs are required to make it happen.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I'm not sure if enough people would play it to justify whatever costs are required to make it happen.
    that is the reason i said NO, chess is more lore friendlly than many other things Devs have had put together in those 12 years
    have hobnanigans in mind n the other game in the ruins close to hobnanigans fields cant recall the name
    how many still playing hobnanigans? how many still remembeer the other game or even know about it? i only tried it once in 2008
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

that is the reason i said NO, chess is more lore friendlly than many other things Devs have had put together in those 12 years
    have hobnanigans in mind n the other game in the ruins close to hobnanigans fields cant recall the name
    how many still playing hobnanigans? how many still remembeer the other game or even know about it? i only tried it once in 2008
    Sorry, I must have misunderstood your post.
    I thought you were stating that chess could not be a part of Lotro due to lore reasons.
    Pardon me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    Chess has been played around since the 6th century, so the time Period is right for it as well hnefatafl, not sure what you mean there, though you could say that chess is a modern translator talking so its readers understand it, kinda like this quote "The dragon passed like an express train" but that's describing what sounded like vs Pippin an actual character talking about and saying it I don't think is a modern translator, and they are in fact were playing chess.
    Chess came from India in the 6th century, but it's not like it was instantly like the game as it is now. For starters, back then the game had somewhat different pieces, with different names and different moves, it evolved some in its gradual progress towards Europe via Persia and the Arab world and continued to evolve once it arrived in Europe, taking several centuries to acquire its modern form. You shouldn't immediately imagine chess as it is now, with the exact same pieces and the same moves, or the board being chequered. There were always 'pawn' pieces, the question would be what the others might be, how they might move and so on.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a small decorative item of an eight-by-eight unchequered board with pieces on it that'd look chess-like, but not a modern chess set as that'd be anachronistic and far too literal.

(Also, I'm with djheydt as far as hnefatafl goes, it'd be cool to have another small decorative item of a board set with the pieces for that, as played by the Dwarves and Northmen perhaps).
    Last edited by Radhruin_EU; May 26 2019 at 03:22 AM.

I Remember playing chess in the original Never winters Nights game around 2010 so it possible to play it in game. I would love to see it in game in LOTRO.

/signed

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafl_games

For in-game purposes, however, I fear it may not fly. Back in Asheron's Call, there were chessboards laid out on various parts of the landscape; I think the assumption was that fighters would assemble teams and play "live chess". I never saw anyone using them.

We've seen several responses on this thread from people who play both LotRO and chess. The question is, how many such players are there?

I suspect, not many.

Thus completely side-stepping the question of how difficult it would be to make a proper, working chessboard that would put the pieces where the players wanted to put them.
    There aren't so many chess players around nowadays, but the game only needs two players at a time, so I think that would be a lot easier to keep going than hobnanigans. Think of how many players could be taught how to play the game through kinship events, friend lists etc. Could be fun, and a nice learning experience to boot.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    There aren't so many chess players around nowadays, but the game only needs two players at a time, so I think that would be a lot easier to keep going than hobnanigans. Think of how many players could be taught how to play the game through kinship events, friend lists etc. Could be fun, and a nice learning experience to boot.
    A very cheap (in coding time, I think) start would be to just put a giant chessboard at the Bree fair grounds. Folks could set up their own chess games (Imagine Hobbits as pawns, Dwarves as rooks-with those castle like helms, donkey heads for knights, LM's for bishops, High elves as kings and queens, armour dyed black and white for sides) If there aren't enough players, you could fill a partial board and play for fun. Or folks with multibox could be used, since there would be two "masters" and the pieces would move as they direct, via a custom chat channel. It would certainly be more challenging than Hobnanigans, and the only "cost" to SSG would be placing the board. If it generated a lot of usage, SSG could add vendors with cosmetic costumes, housing items, or somesuch, or develop something further as they have time.

Looks like we found finally a new hobby

Its Tag/Freeze tag that's in the near by ruins, its quite fun I've done it before, and at least its simple and you get active players, unlike Hobnanigans, which i don't play anymore cause you get multi-boxing players just standing around doing nothing which made it no fun for me. also i too misunderstood your no, as you said not for Lotr you didn't say lotrO. anyway I think chess will do fine for those who like it
    Last edited by Pontin_Finnberry; Jun 01 2019 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starliteyes View Post
    A very cheap (in coding time, I think) start would be to just put a giant chessboard at the Bree fair grounds. Folks could set up their own chess games (Imagine Hobbits as pawns, Dwarves as rooks-with those castle like helms, donkey heads for knights, LM's for bishops, High elves as kings and queens, armour dyed black and white for sides) If there aren't enough players, you could fill a partial board and play for fun. Or folks with multibox could be used, since there would be two "masters" and the pieces would move as they direct, via a custom chat channel. It would certainly be more challenging than Hobnanigans, and the only "cost" to SSG would be placing the board. If it generated a lot of usage, SSG could add vendors with cosmetic costumes, housing items, or somesuch, or develop something further as they have time.
    That was the kind of "live chess" we used to play in the West Kingdom of the SCA, back in the late sixties -- and from the size of the chessboards on the landscape in Asheron's Call, that was what the devs expected players to do with them. But nobody ever did. There's nothing wrong with suggesting players play chess in LotRO -- I just don't think they're going to do it. Sorry.

I'll go into the "elven chess" of the 1980s and -90s another time.
    Last edited by djheydt; Jun 01 2019 at 11:10 AM.