We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Mobile Account-Bound Milestone

I need a mobile account-bound milestone. I am often in a location that is hard to get to, or at quite a distance from the nearest stable master, and my real life barges in and I have to go do real life stuff. And then it takes way too long to get back where I was questing/slaying/deeding/whatever.

I need to be able to drop a milestone, and port back to it after the real life junk is done.

Is that possible? Thank you,
    Shatter

While I am not opposed to the idea in general (it could be handy in various situations), I do wonder why in the specific case you mention you would not just log out where you are and back in to the same place when you have time to play again.

Offhand, I assume the usual: pockets full, gear worn out, consumables consumed, it's on-level FRELLING MORDOR and anyplace I log out will be full of baddies waiting to ROFLstomp me as soon as I log in...
    Immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

Founding member of Mornost Gwend of Gladden. "We shout a lot!"

I would really like this to happen. It has to do with persistence, that is a big difficulty to achieve in LOTRO.
    Technically, this is an example of how the code should look like:

public class Milestone : IEffect //IEffect interface implementing an "Execute()" behavior (like a Command pattern + an Event handler for interlacing graphics main thread)
    {
    private Coordinate boundTo { get; set; }
    public event JumpEventHandler JumpingRequest;

public void Set(Coordinate boundingTo)
    {
    this.boundTo = boundingTo;
    }

public void Execute()
    {
    if (JumpingRequest != null) { JumpingRequest(new JumpingEventHandler, this.boundTo); }
    }
    }

The difference with the current possibly existing Milestone class is the fact the destinations are not set selecting from a List prefixed, but the coordinates are read from current position. In the client class you call it so:

milestone.Set(player.CurrentCo ordinate);

This is just an example offered for free to the community, with no intent of real functionality. The code is generic c# pseudocode, not meant to be compilable.

So, technically easy. Integrating it into a codebase mostly graphics world scripting related, is a completely other matter, and would require a little programming effort.

Best & /signed!

I love this idea.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Definitely a nice idea. The late game has longer distances between stable masters again and there are many areas that require slaughtering hordes of mobs to get there.

It would not need to be a persistent milestone visible on the landscape if it were only for the owner's use. Just needs to be a skill that can be purchased which has a Set function to set it to the current location and a Use function to travel to that location.

It will be a problem if you set it in a location that seems empty but is on some mob's path or just happens to have been recently cleared by someone else. You either have to accept the risk that you could port and die, or be in a big fight with no prep time.

You could also scout out a location free of enemies and pathers before setting a new location for the portable milestone, but if you find such a location you could simply just log out there without a milestone.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    It would not need to be a persistent milestone visible on the landscape if it were only for the owner's use. Just needs to be a skill that can be purchased which has a Set function to set it to the current location and a Use function to travel to that location.
    Definitely. No need for a complete graveyard of stones in a few locations...

You could also scout out a location free of enemies and pathers before setting a new location for the portable milestone, but if you find such a location you could simply just log out there without a milestone.
    On the other hand the chances for surviving a port into mobs is bigger than logging into mobs, as char morale is full then.

It will be a problem if you set it in a location that seems empty but is on some mob's path or just happens to have been recently cleared by someone else. You either have to accept the risk that you could port and die, or be in a big fight with no prep time.

Logging into a pile of mobs wouldn't bother me. you can stand and fight, using all your skills to control them, or run for the hills. For me it's more about being able to return to a spot to carry on questing, when I've returned to a main hub for a break from it.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.